What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kids machine pitch infielder (pitcher) - mask? (1 Viewer)

Horses Mouth

Footballguy
We play in 1st and 2nd grade machine pitch league. 

Next to the machine a kid stands in the pitcher position. 

Some of these kids line drive the ball hard and inevitably the balls go whizzing by the pitcher. 

Seems like it would be smart for at least that position to wear a mask. Their reaction time isn't that quick, yet no one wears a mask. 

I am thinking about talking to the coach about my son wearing one when pitcher  

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like your kid should not be the pitcher.  I know that they make one for softball leagues, not sure if they would have kids sizes though. 

Leagues around here all require the defensive pitcher to wear a helmet/mask.  This is for machine and coach pitch leagues.  I think it is wise, but I do not see a need for the rest of the infield.

Leagues around here all require the defensive pitcher to wear a helmet/mask.  This is for machine and coach pitch leagues.  I think it is wise, but I do not see a need for the rest of the infield.
Same here.  Mask is required until kid pitch.

We play in 1st and 2nd grade machine pitch league. 

Next to the machine a kid stands in the pitcher position. 

Some of these kids line drive the ball hard and inevitably the balls go whizzing by the pitcher. 

Seems like it would be smart for at least that position to wear a mask. Their reaction time isn't that quick, yet no one wears a mask. 

I am thinking about talking to the coach about my son wearing one. 

Thoughts?
My daughter played fastpitch from age 8-17. When I started coaching her 14u travel team (the girls were all 12 n 13) the other coaches and I made a team rule - infielders and pitchers wore a mask. Period.

We only got pushback from one parent, but he agreed to the rule. The girls complained sometimes, only when it was really hot. Sometimes you'd hear some comments from the other teams, masks weren't super popular in our area 10 yrs ago.

Only one time in 5 yrs did I have a player take one off the mask, my daughter when she was 14. She took a one hopper that looked like a yellow laser that hit a hole or cleatmark and hit her square in the nose. It laid her out flat like she'd been shot with a cannon. There's no doubt in my mind her face would've been smashed had it not been for her mask. None of the girls ever complained again about wearing a mask after that day.

You do what you want. But if you want my advice...Don't ever let anyone talk you or your child out of wearing one if that's what you guys want to to do

Users who are viewing this thread