What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Contend or rebuild? (1 Viewer)

Snorkelson

Footballguy
12 team, ppr, 1/2/3/1/1/1, roster 30(40offseason), draft before NFL draft.

QB:

Dak

Goff

Taylor

RB:

Freeman/coleman

cj anderson

rawls

abdullah/zenner

Jalen richard

cmike, Hillman

WR

Allen

Baldwin

DT

Marvin Jones

Torrey smith

tajae sharpe

Wheaton/wright

conley

TE

Gronk

Ebron

K: Tucker

stream d

1.07/3.07/4.07/5.07/6.07/.7.07

League just starting to pick up activity, and if this team is healthy then maybe I have a playoff team, but probably lacks enough juice for a contender. I'd be willing to use my 1st and 2018 1st if I thought I could get a stud but am hesitant to sell future pieces to come in 5th. 

On the other hand, I feel the next 2 years look like very deep drafts, and some of the guys I have could lose a lot of value if they get injured again (Allen, gronk) or have a disappointing season (freeman, DT,   Ebron). 

Start moving pieces for the future or the future for now? Or see how the year starts out and go from there?

I think I would definitely move some of those pieces you mention. Some of your players could land you some good picks or talent without disrupting the team too much. I wouldn't trade away everything yet. Keep a core of guys you want to build around and move what you can. I agree that your team is solid but without the other rosters I assume you know that you may not be more than a playoff team. 

Unless you can get 1 stud receiver and a solid number 2 I wouldn't try to compete. Maybe find someone that loves Gronk and you can get a stud receiver and a young tight end to go with it. Then trade your 1sts for another receiver. If you can't do that I would try to trade off some guys and load up on draft picks.

I would probably deal some of your older and more injury prone players for younger guys and / or draft picks. You have Gronk and a few WRs that have some trade value. I wouldn't trade any draft choices or younger players unless you get getting more value than when you are giving up for a rebuilding team.

I would attempt to build around Freeman/Coleman and Baldwin, and start a rebuild. Two good drafts and a little waiver wire luck and you could have a contender.

You got the pieces to compete this year and maybe next. If you can get really good value for Gronk I would move him and then probably DT, too, but I have one deep league like that and people just don't trade that much and if that is the case I would take a shot at competing and postpone any rebuilding a couple years down the line.

You got the pieces to compete this year and maybe next. If you can get really good value for Gronk I would move him and then probably DT, too, but I have one deep league like that and people just don't trade that much and if that is the case I would take a shot at competing and postpone any rebuilding a couple years down the line.
This. There is movement but it's not easy to acquire talent through trades. Mostly older vets and 2nd-3rd rd picks bouncing around. I like the top 7 of this draft at this point so picking there is appealing. Cross my fingers and romo goes to Denver and rehabs dts value in the first 3 weeks and I can move him. 

Some of your key guys are pretty young and as you mentioned if you stay healthy this can be a good team.  I would most likely keep this team together at least heading into the season and see how it goes.  You can probably get better value for your veterans after the season starts as all teams are thinking long term at this point.  I would at least throw out that DT and Gronk could be had to see what kind of interest you get and if something comes about you may wish to rebuild now but that wouldn't be my plan at the moment.

The point is to win.....you can win with this roster.  Don't go into rebuild mode unless your team is so crappy you basically need to start over.  You are not in that situation.  Too many times I see owners go into rebuild mode every year and are always struggling to compete.  If you draft well and can evaluate talent you should be able to always be contending.  I would mostly hold tight and see if you can move Gronk (I don't think he ever plays a full season again and don't think he has too many seasons left regardless) for a good value.  As someone mentioned earlier a WR1 and solid TE should be attainable.

Ebron/1.07/Tyrod 

for

d allen(te)/moncreif/Matt Ryan

kicking around this idea with the other owner, seem equitable? Some gronk insurance, qb upgrade, and another wr3 with upside? Our draft starts in 2 weeks, so 1.07 won't have a team yet. 

I would take the 1.07 side pretty easily, plus having Dak and Ryan isn't going to be fun trying to guess who to start each week. Unless you can move Dak

I would take the 1.07 side pretty easily, plus having Dak and Ryan isn't going to be fun trying to guess who to start each week. Unless you can move Dak
No confidence in moncreif? I feel dak is ok but Ryan is more consistent. Dak may have to go instead of tt, I wanted to try to retain some youth though. Ill admit I'm don't feel strongly enough to send the offer, we've been emailing feelers

No confidence in moncreif? I feel dak is ok but Ryan is more consistent. Dak may have to go instead of tt, I wanted to try to retain some youth though. Ill admit I'm don't feel strongly enough to send the offer, we've been emailing feelers
I don't have confidence in Moncreif. He can't seem to stay healthy, I don't think he will ever be the number one guy, and the Colts drafted Dorsett in the 1st right after Moncreif started to break out and rumors were they were going after Jeffery pretty hard this offseason. I think the Colts view him as 3rd receiver, but the problem is they don't have a 2nd legit receiver right now. Moncreif is an UFA after this year and I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts let him walk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of attempting to move Gronk.  Would think you should be able to get a nice little haul (hopefully another pick inside of your current 1.07 and a useful throw-in), but don't know your league.  You should be in the hunt with this roster and just need a few pieces.  I also think there are some interesting players without big names in this draft that are likely to fall to later rounds.  I don't think the proposed trade really helps short or long term.  Would this be a move to compete or re-build? What would your league give for Gronk? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of waiting for things to pick up, only one active owner so I'm resisting the urge to trade just to trade. I'm going for it, so I may keep gronk unless I can get a decent package or a legit wr1. Some owners have been easier to deal with, some offer little for your best players, and 1-2 who don't seem to trade unless they have a clear advantage. Staying put for now. 

Ebron/1.07/Tyrod 

for

d allen(te)/moncreif/Matt Ryan

kicking around this idea with the other owner, seem equitable? Some gronk insurance, qb upgrade, and another wr3 with upside? Our draft starts in 2 weeks, so 1.07 won't have a team yet. 
I like Ebron more than Allen and the 1.07 more than Moncrief.   Ryan is a good complement to Dak although Tyrod is a good backup if you're comfortable trotting out Dak each week.  I might offer Tyrod straight up and see where it goes.  If he is loaded at QB, he might even prefer the younger player. 

I like Moncrief more than MSU... Comments about what the Colt's think is speculation... but, I do like the 1.07 more and there is always a chance someone slips to you there....

Like others, I think you can compete and rebuild simultaneously. Entertain offers for Gronk and Allen.  Unfortunately, I think people tend to bid low when players are presented as "available".   Not to mention the obvious injury risk.  I don't think you will see an offer that is worthwhile but, if someone offers something too good to refuse, run with it...

I might try to execute lesser profile trades.  Something like the 3.07 and an expendable player for a second rounder.  Ideally, the player would be of interest to the trade partner; handcuff, etc.  Look hard at other team's rosters and get creative.  For example, Is Rawls valuable to the Lacy owner?

I'm thinking the market is depressed for both of those guys, but maybe if I put the two together I can get a julio or ab but I'd probably get countered with the 1.07 added. Maybe worth a shot though. Thanks to all for the advice, going to keep working it.

Users who are viewing this thread