What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ISPs to sell your internet history (1 Viewer)

On a scale of 1-5, how upset are you that your ISP will be able to sell your browsing data?

• 1-Don't care at all

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • 2-Care a little bit

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • 3-I'm concerned about this

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • 4-Very concerned

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • 5-This is outrageous

Votes: 61 61.0%

• Total voters
very easily
:goodposting:

You sign up and get two emails. One with login info, the other with download links for Windows, MacOSX, iOS, android, etc. 

You install the program/app... tell it to run automatically. Done. You're invisible. The iOS app goes into some system settings to enable VPN, but it's 100% automated. If you can type in your user/pass, you can install VPN. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if these VPN's will work at the router level?  I have so many devices connecting at home I'd rather set up the VPN on the router.

So the VPN runs on each device? Desktop, Laptop, Fire Stick, TV's, etc???

Or do you load it to your router?

Confused. Sorry.

Does anyone know if these VPN's will work at the router level?  I have so many devices connecting at home I'd rather set up the VPN on the router.
https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219457267-Can-I-use-the-Private-Internet-Access-service-with-my-router-

Some folks think going VPN at router level may slow traffic down. Others dont:
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/3465/pia-app-vs-router-config-huge-speed-difference

I mean the next step after VPN is a black box type router that has it's own encryption scheme and shifts nodes on some schedule.  These don't really exist yet, but would be super easy to design and build.  

You could even theorize how you could setup a service where you double (or more) hop traffic across different nodes or services.  
 saw this yesterday.  Crowd funding projects are always spotty, but I'm considering it.

adding @Poke_4_Life b/c you asked about router level VPN

I also found this...  

https://www.howtogeek.com/221889/connect-your-home-router-to-a-vpn-to-bypass-censorship-filtering-and-more/

And VPN will always add overhead to your Internet connection, whether you will actually notice the difference is another story.  If you routinely max out your connection speed before VPN, you will notice a slow down.  If you never max out your speed, you shouldn't notice a difference.  If the VPN is operating properly.

I guess this would only apply to people browsing on their phones while at work since any work browsing wouldn't be able to be traceable to you presumably. But if you browse the internet on your phone while at work, that data will be available for future employers to purchase.
It's traceable to you through your work network that assigns an IP to your company assigned computer.  And it's apples apples if you put your phone on your work's wifi when in the office.  Or like I do have a company issued phone.  No way they will be able to put all that together without cooperation with the company, that would be NSA level stuff. 

After some thought, this is really an egregious invasion of privacy, and I'm someone who didn't complain that much about NSA stuff, if the government wants to know what I'm looking at it, have at it - but selling this, beyond ridiculous. As an Independent, I'll be voting for whomever says they are going to reestablish laws here.

yes you can set up VPN's on router.

VPN's have been the best bang for your security buck for years and years now.  I am surprised this is not used by everyone already.

Note that there are some sites, like banks, that do not allow access from VPN's.   So you have to be aware that if you turn off the VPN to access some sites and you are using the router method, you are exposing your whole network.

Personally, I just setup VPN's on each computer and they can control them how they want.  It takes probably ten seconds for each computer.  I don't worry about VPN's for tv's, roku's etc but for those of you concerned about these devices, you have to use the router method.

I'm not a network guy so I couldn't tell you how they do it, but my job already knew if I was browsing too much and what sites I was hitting.   That's why I browse through a remote desktop connection to my home computer.   
Bold #1:  They would need your company's cooperation to match your computer assignment to network assigned ip.  Sometimes companies use your last name as part of the computer name, other's just keep a list.

Bold  #2: Exactly!!  Too easy, surprised everyone hasn't figured this out yet.

VPN's have been the best bang for your security buck for years and years now.  I am surprised this is not used by everyone already.

Note that there are some sites, like banks, that do not allow access from VPN's.   So you have to be aware that if you turn off the VPN to access some sites and you are using the router method, you are exposing your whole network.

Personally, I just setup VPN's on each computer and they can control them how they want.  It takes probably ten seconds for each computer.  I don't worry about VPN's for tv's, roku's etc but for those of you concerned about these devices, you have to use the router method.
I downloaded IPVanish to my Fire TV :shrug:

I'm not exactly what you would call "tech savvy." I'm a tech moron. Does simply turning on private browsing on my iPhone/iPad do anything at all to block this? I don't use the web on any computers (work from home). 

I'm not exactly what you would call "tech savvy." I'm a tech moron. Does simply turning on private browsing on my iPhone/iPad do anything at all to block this? I don't use the web on any computers (work from home). 
No, all that does is erase your history on you phone so your wife doesn't find out what kind of pron you are into.  

PIA is only $3.33 a month for 5 devices if you pay a year at a time.  Download the app, log in, turn it on with a push of a button.

private browsing stops your local device from keeping a history of where you surf but the ISP will still see the IP address you are accessing.  Only a VPN can stop the ISP from seeing what you are doing.

As long as I have a way to protect myself, I can't get worked up about this.  Should the government outlaw VPN's, then I would be a lot more concerned.
IDK, I find this offensive and a gigantic invasion of privacy. If this is standard operating procedure for the Senate, House, & WH right now, I'll vote Democrat down the entire ticket until this is addressed.  

For android/fire use downloader to point to the URL of the PIA APK file.  Hit install once it's done downloading.

FYI just took about 30 seconds to install PIA on my Macbook Pro. Now set to automatically start up as soon as I turn on my machine. Adding it to my iPhone now. Then the Kodi-enabled FireTV when I get home. I should have done this earlier. The $50 for 2 years promo makes it a no-brainer. 

You can even manually select the country you want to be "From"... which is nice for discounted NFL sunday ticket and other stuff.... 
Is this on the site? I show $39.95/year

I also think a lot of people are blind to how much data telecommunications companies already have on you including all things location based. Now they basically have everything (they already did, actually - but now they can sell it with nothing getting in the way) - they obviously saw this coming with all the media company acquisitions they've been making. 

I also think a lot of people are blind to how much data telecommunications companies already have on you including all things location based. Now they basically have everything (they already did, actually - but now they can sell it with nothing getting in the way) - they obviously saw this coming with all the media company acquisitions they've been making. 
Not to mention your credit card uses which are already being sold.  And all the voluntary club cards you keep in your wallet.  

No. Not at all. All "Private browsing" does is stop the browser from storing (most) data from that session. The traffic is still very easily tied to your device externally. 

No, all that does is erase your history on you phone so your wife doesn't find out what kind of pron you are into.  
Well, crap. I guess I have to sign up for a VPN. Thanks, man.

BTW, she knows and doesn't care. I only care because #### "them," I want my privacy.

Hi Comcast, I'd like to cancel my services. 

Sure thing Mr FC42 - just as a parting gift, we'll be sharing the information on that 3 hour marathon of Redheaded BBW's you went through last week with multiple parties.

Okay, I'd like to keep my services.

Does my phone company collect my calling history and then selling it to telemarketers? 

IDK, I find this offensive and a gigantic invasion of privacy. If this is standard operating procedure for the Senate, House, & WH right now, I'll vote Democrat down the entire ticket until this is addressed.  
Funny timing that I received a Jason Lewis (R-MN) email this morning asking for a donation. I replied with what you said. I mentioned I used to listen to his radio show and voted for him. I said I will vote against him in 2018. Though surely, nobody will read my response, it did make me feel better.

Funny timing that I received a Jason Lewis (R-MN) email this morning asking for a donation. I replied with what you said. I mentioned I used to listen to his radio show and voted for him. I said I will vote against him in 2018. Though surely, nobody will read my response, it did make me feel better.
If the Democrats are smart about this, they can raise awareness on what the Republican controlled government just did, how invasive this actually is, and take control.

Now a political party being smart about anything is another story.

So what exactly do you do if are accessing one of these sites, such as online banking? I'm confused.

Users who are viewing this thread