Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdoggydogg

My brush with death

I had that once. It was awful pain. But I had mine taken out that first night. Best nap ever. I'd rather have ten more babies than that pain again. Glad they caught you in time. Watch for pus pocket build ups. 

17 minutes ago, zed2283 said:

And everyone complained about my barber shop post?

Seriously though, glad you're ok.

What happened at the barber shop?

14 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

Glad you're ok, sounds awful.

Awful is the perfect word.

12 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

damn man.  any warning signs before the appendicitis?

Just the painful upset stomach. The reason it wasn't properly diagnosed at first was because I wasn't exhibiting the other symptoms of a typical appendicitis, such as nausea.

10 minutes ago, Clown Car said:

I had that once. It was awful pain. 

No diggity.

March 3rd-9th suffering from this  , you are one tough hombre. Hopefully you will get to enjoy some nice days pain free before going back to work

Glad this had a happy ending.:thumbup::thumbup:

I have heard many horror stories of people leaving the ER with serious issues that were not diagnosed.  If at all possible go to your doctor and let them order the tests.  ER's are good for treating gun shots, accidents and broken bones. Internal issues not so much. 

I am so happy to read that you are doing OK.  Such scary stuff.  Glad you are back - now don't do that again.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, HellToupee said:

March 3rd-9th suffering from this  , you are one tough hombre. Hopefully you will get to enjoy some nice days pain free before going back to work

Yeah you say that, but I didn't look very tough writhing in agony post-op.

2 minutes ago, berndog said:

Glad this had a happy ending.:thumbup::thumbup:

I have heard many horror stories of people leaving the ER with serious issues that were not diagnosed.  If at all possible go to your doctor and let them order the tests.  ER's are good for treating gun shots, accidents and broken bones. Internal issues not so much. 

I did ask myself if I should be angry with Kaiser. But in fairness, I wasn't exhibiting most of the normal symptoms of an appendicitis.

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

I am so so happy to read that you are doing OK.  Such scary stuff.  Glad you are back - now don't do that again.

Thank you.

My mother just had almost the exact same thing. Eerily similar. She made it too and is back home resting. 

So glad you're OK, GB. Speedy recovery and all my well-wishes to you.. 

• Like 1

Glad you are ok, jdoggy. My uncle was not so lucky. His appendix burst while playing golf. He had surgery and he too was gangrenous. The surgeon released him from the hospital the same day as the surgery, and gave him no antibiotics. He returned a few days later throwing up green stuff. They did test, gave him some fluids, and released him again with no antibiotics. My aunt found him dead the next morning on the bathroom floor. He died of sepsis from an infection from surgery. It was terrible. My aunt sued for negligence and they settled with her.

3 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:

I did ask myself if I should be angry with Kaiser. But in fairness, I wasn't exhibiting most of the normal symptoms of an appendicitis.

You also left the ER in excruciating pain and had no explanation for the underlying cause.  They should have scheduled a scan to see what was going on.

Again I'm happy all ended well but after my son spent 10 days in the hospital with a similar story I'm not as forgiving any more. 

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not a big 'sue everyone' dude but this seems like a big screwup (I'm not an attorney nor ami a medical professional). 

• Like 1

You should be angry at Kaiser. I'm angry at Kaiser for how they manage to screw me any time I go in there. You should be more mad and get them for all of us who have to deal with their BS.

13 minutes ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

My mother just had almost the exact same thing. Eerily similar. She made it too and is back home resting. 

This is the worst story you've ever told. Next time mix in Kerry King, an 8ball, and 7 cases of beer.

• Like 3

Glad you are ok.

I had my appendix out when I was 30. I had a pain in my abdomen, and it just felt.... odd. All day at work, it hurt, but it also felt unlike anything previous. I knew something was wrong. That night, I couldn't sleep, and by 2am, I decided to go to the emergency room. By 4am, I was in the operating room. 

Nothing like yours - mine didn't burst/etc, so I just had the three inch scar. was home in two or three days, and back to work in two to three weeks or so (takes the abdomen muscles time to heal - that was the bulk of the recovery).

Don't ignore odd pain down there. The best i could describe it is "you'll know". 

42 minutes ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

Thanks! I will know that I'm fully recovered when I'm ready to go see another Metal Show.

Had a situation similar to this when I was 14.  Playing in National Championship hockey tourney in Buffalo, played game 1, got sick in evening.  Toughed it out for a full day, went to Children's Hospital in Buffalo, they diagnosed me with gastroenteritis.  Laid in the hotel for 2 more days, feeling worse, flew back home, hit the hospital straight from the airport, emergency surgery, gangrene, etc.  Was in the hospital 4 days post op, went home, developed pus pocket Clown Car referenced, which then required a 7 day stay.  Always thought it was strange that they treated the pus pocket with far more concern and care than the gangrenous appendix.  Glad you're OK.

• Like 1

Appendicitis is no joke. Almost did me in too. Just thought I had the flu or something. Turned into the worst pain I've ever felt. My hands and face eventually turned totally white as I started to go into shock. Went to the ER where they took about 2 hours to see me. Once they saw me and ran some blood tests I was back in surgery within about a half hour.

Took way longer than I expected to recover too. About 3 weeks for me. And a weird little thing I didn't learn until later is that having invasive surgery can actually lead to depression as your body reacts in weird ways to the invasion and having a part removed. Didn't help in my case that this all occurred for me two days after 9/11.

• Like 1

Landsakes, dogboy - good we didnt lose you. I would have given that a terrible review and NO one would have argued w me. Best wishes for full & speedy recovery.

1 hour ago, simey said:

Glad you are ok, jdoggy. My uncle was not so lucky. His appendix burst while playing golf. He had surgery and he too was gangrenous. The surgeon released him from the hospital the same day as the surgery, and gave him no antibiotics. He returned a few days later throwing up green stuff. They did test, gave him some fluids, and released him again with no antibiotics. My aunt found him dead the next morning on the bathroom floor. He died of sepsis from an infection from surgery. It was terrible. My aunt sued for negligence and they settled with her.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

1 hour ago, berndog said:

my son spent 10 days in the hospital with a similar story I'm not as forgiving any more. 

My nephew nearly died from an infection that Kaiser didn't find until very late, so I do sympathize.

1 hour ago, Shrugs said:

You should be angry at Kaiser. I'm angry at Kaiser for how they manage to screw me any time I go in there. You should be more mad and get them for all of us who have to deal with their BS.

But is this a Kaiser-specific problem? Seems like an industry-wide problem.

1 hour ago, jwb said:

Don't ignore odd pain down there. The best i could describe it is "you'll know". 

I agree.

19 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Landsakes, dogboy - good we didnt lose you. I would have given that a terrible review and NO one would have argued w me. Best wishes for full & speedy recovery.

Thanks, Wikkid. Two thumbs up for your kind words.

By the way, I know this thread reads like a, "Look at me!" post. But my motivation for posting this story is purely this cautionary tale: insist on good medical care. You and your loved ones need to fight for your rights and be sure you are heard.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

Glad you are okay!

My stepson's appendix burst several years ago and he got a touch of sepsis, but nothing like yours. Scary stuff.

Glad he's ok.

Wow, glad you are ok.  Gangrene?  I didn't realize that was even a tbing anymore.  Scary.  Fwiw, I tell the nurses my best pal is a personal injury lawyer whenever I go into an ER.  It gets me ALL the tests.  Good luck in recovery!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PIK95 said:

Wow, glad you are ok.  Gangrene?  I didn't realize that was even a tbing anymore.  Scary.  Fwiw, I tell the nurses my best pal is a personal injury lawyer whenever I go into an ER.  It gets me ALL the tests.  Good luck in recovery!

That's weird, I tell them I am a personal injury lawyer and they generally try to murder me. 

Glad you're okay doggy.  Welcome back. 

• Like 4