What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for advice/resources for a disabled veteran dealing with some mental distress (1 Viewer)

Manster

Footballguy
So my neighbor is a disabled vet who lives with his elderly father. An ambulance showed up yesterday. The father was taken to the hospital.......I went and checked on my neighbor tonight, and he filled me in. He's very concerned about losing his father. He's had a history of heart stuff. Sounds like he may be released from the hospital in a couple days though, according to the neighbor.

His dad is the only person who cares about him, he says. He says hes dealing with "mental health issues" because of his worry, and has been trying to get ahold of the VA..... waiting for a return call he says......I'm really not sure how well he can advocate for himself, or navigate what he needs to, based on my interactions with him in the past.

I'd like to help the guy, and I will as a concerned neighbor, but beyond that, This is out of my area of expertise.........ideas?

Depending on your location, city or county, there should be a local veterans administration office in your area. They should have trained counselors available 24/7 to aid and assist your neighbor. Was his father ex military? If he is, he can get lots of benefits as well. Start with your local office. Feel free to pm me and I can try to steer you in the right direction. I’ve had to advocate for both my parents through the VA and our experience was great here in Michigan.

So my neighbor is a disabled vet who lives with his elderly father. An ambulance showed up yesterday. The father was taken to the hospital.......I went and checked on my neighbor tonight, and he filled me in. He's very concerned about losing his father. He's had a history of heart stuff. Sounds like he may be released from the hospital in a couple days though, according to the neighbor.

His dad is the only person who cares about him, he says. He says hes dealing with "mental health issues" because of his worry, and has been trying to get ahold of the VA..... waiting for a return call he says......I'm really not sure how well he can advocate for himself, or navigate what he needs to, based on my interactions with him in the past.

I'd like to help the guy, and I will as a concerned neighbor, but beyond that, This is out of my area of expertise.........ideas?

How close are you with your neighbor? If he is an acquaintance, how willing are you to build into his life?

If you’re not already a friend, then my only advice would be to keep checking in with him. Just shoot him a text to follow up. Find out if he’s heard back from the VA and has anything scheduled.

The best thing you can do IME is to be a friend. A lot of veterans are very reluctant to open up with civilians, but he’s already given you indirect permission to speak into his life.

What I mean by that is he disclosed to you. See that’s a big deal for anyone who is struggling with mental health issues. Stop by and gently probe to see if he’ll talk about what he’s specifically dealing with rn.

Don’t try to fix him. Just be a good listener. Ask open ended questions, be curious, then shut up and let him talk for as long as he needs. Be nonjudgmental & accept wherever he is at while resisting the urge to give solutions.

Feel free to DM me if/when you find out more about what is going on with him. There are a lot of great programs at the VA to help with addictions or PTSD. If he doesn’t have anyone else in his life offer to go to the VA with him.

Just keep building into his life and make sure you convey that you care, and that he matters.

God bless.

Appreciate the responses! This forum really is a great resource for just about anything.

I gave my neighbor my number the other day, and he called me at work yesterday. He talked my ear off. I'm planning on checking in today. He's saying his father will be coming home today.

Sounds like he's pretty well hooked up with the VA services. I'll see if I can gently encourage, or facilitate in that area if he's open to it. I think he definitely just needs someone to talk to. Isn't that what we all want?

This will likely get poo poo'd here but, if possible. I highly suggest your friend microdose magic mushrooms. Way better than getting on the depression med train. They are being heavily researched now for depression, anxiety, and ptsd with good results. They can be difficult to obtain depending on your location since they are on Schedule 1 list. .25 grams every third day and he'll have about $40/month into his treatment with shipping. .25 grams is not even slightly close enough to where he will trip. Might relax him a bit. Others do different dosage and/or schedules (example .15-.5 grams, 4 days on-3 days off, etc.). Have him Google or YouTube Paul Stamets andor "Stamets Stack". Best of luck to your buddy and thanks for being a good guy for him

This will likely get poo poo'd here but, if possible. I highly suggest your friend microdose magic mushrooms. Way better than getting on the depression med train. They are being heavily researched now for depression, anxiety, and ptsd with good results. They can be difficult to obtain depending on your location since they are on Schedule 1 list. .25 grams every third day and he'll have about $40/month into his treatment with shipping. .25 grams is not even slightly close enough to where he will trip. Might relax him a bit. Others do different dosage and/or schedules (example .15-.5 grams, 4 days on-3 days off, etc.). Have him Google or YouTube Paul Stamets andor "Stamets Stack". Best of luck to your buddy and thanks for being a good guy for him
And i'd only do that with someone as a guide.

I have heard of micro dosing, and read a bit about it.

I wonder how it is on ur gut, cuz when u macro dose, it ain't good!

The VA is using ketamine as a treatment for anxiety, depression & PTSD now. I'm good with Zoloft (Sertraline) but my drug dealer psychiatrist offered it to me last month. She was really enthusiastic about the results she's seeing.

What a time to be alive. Back in the 70s I thought I was practicing moderation bc I only tripped on acid once every six months; now I could be a) doing it legally & b) whenever I want lol.

I have heard of micro dosing, and read a bit about it.

I wonder how it is on ur gut, cuz when u macro dose, it ain't good!
My experience with micro-dosing it wasn't bad at all as I was taking so little. No guide needed as I'm not taking a trip or getting high at all with .25 Gs. I've had lots of stomach upset moving up to larger amounts during the trip so will likely stick to my .25 Gs every third day. I'm off 60% of my antidepressant and trying to decide if I want to go completely off. I'm doing this with input of a therapist. My old school psychiatrist does not believe in them for therapeutic purposes (go figure, lol). Shrooms will likely not help with those on SSRIs as they hit the same receptors.

So neighbors dad is back from the hospital.

Based on what I've learned, I'm concerned about long term care for the dad.......and after he passes. I don't think there's a lot of planning going on, if you know what I mean.......and the dad dying could put this guy over the edge.

I think I will approach the subject of long term care for pops.

Users who are viewing this thread