What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (6 Viewers)

Anyone they sign can be cut any time. They were signing someone because there was a possibility that guy might have to play and help them win. Kaep's people let the Titans know he was interested. I don't think the Titans truly believed all four of the guys they did call (Weeden, Matt Barkley, Matt McGloin and T.J. Yates), if pressed into duty, were more likely to pull out a win than Kaep. It really doesn't matter which guy they ultimately signed. Not even calling Kaep looks like a pretty obvious snub for non-football reasons. Looks that way to me, at least.
Right, let's sign the giant distraction for 1-2 weeks, have the media circus that will follow him all over the facility and then cut him when Mariota is healthy a few days later.  I could see how any owner, GM, and coach would want that around their team.

More than half the league is African American and speak their mind, wtf are you talking about.
More than have the owners are African American and speak their mind? I was completely unaware of this. I was under the impression that they were White men making billions off the broken backs and concussed heads of once poor black kids for entertainment.

I'm ALWAYS a day late and a dollar short...

Again, Rosa Parks wasn’t protesting the bus.

Kaepernick & others aren’t protesting the anthem, the flag or the military. 

That was the spin Trump/Pence put on it to leverage it for their political gain. 

Kaepernick did it to raise awareness. I’d say he was beyond successful. And at great personal cost. 

I respect the hell out of that. 
I do too. I just wish he could have done it differently. I just respect our military so much with what they have to do around the world to secure our way of life. I mean it is true insanity oversea's in the middle east folks. Just pure carnage and madmen running around who want nothing more than to burn us all to the ground. It is that bad. 

I guess he did it this way because he knew this would really get the conversation going. But.....at some point you have to reel it in, and respect your country. The country that allows you to be an NFL QB and earn a living beyond your wildest dreams. And those soldiers (kids) are out there dying to protect our way of life.

Some might think it is some hypocrsy....and that is your decision. But this country affords every person born here, regardless of race, creed or color an opportunity to be whatever you dream. Sorry.....it is a fact. So many minorities (I am a minority in this country) are successful and flourishing. What I think is crossing over into this Social injustice conversation is economic differences. That is a whole other conversation. And one I really have no desire to get into. But let's just say I love and believe in capitalism and learning and knowing how to be successful in a capitalistic society is something you control for the most part. Go stake your claim.

Not as long as waiting for you to link to the splits you referred to regarding his stats.  At least one of these things does not exist.
Enjoy your witch hunt. No matter how loud you scream it Kaepernick will never be a good QB again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's use the Packers as an example since they just lost Rodgers. First off, their GM does not sign free agents. He is historically opposed to building his team through free agency with rare exceptions. So only a fool would expect him to change now. Furthermore, this is a team that is BIG on using the players they have to grow in the system. Hundley has been there and Callahan too. Both know the system and McCarthy trusts the system to work with the players he has coached. So it isn't practical to assume they'll bring in someone in Week 7 who doesn't know the system or may need the system to be significantly altered to fit his particular set of skills.

That's one team out of 32 but it's one with a major QB need and there's about a 0% chance Kaepernick will even be considered, much less signed. And none of it has to do with his political stance. It's 100% a football decision. 

As opposed to the QBs they have now throwing INTs at twice the rate, TDs at half the rate and winless.   His teammates voted him most inspirational player.  The league voted him Communiyt Player of the Week despite not being rostered.  Certainly sounds divisive to me.
I'm talking about Football where the goal is for the coach and his QB who is usually the leader having the team focused on winning. That's what the rest of the league does but you focus on those team awards (from the worst team in football), maybe Arena League is into those distractions?

So Kaep single handedly made the SF Defense get their Pro Bowl LB's hurt? How is Chip Kelly doing these days? Last I checked, that clown gutted your team and headed to SF and things imploded there (worse than they were) too. Blame what you will on Kaep, but the dude is giving a voice to many without a voice. This white man takes his hat off to him. 
Yep and Kelly and Kaep are both out of the league where they belong. Sorry you weren't aware of those incidents before Kaep, glad it got your attention. It's been in the attention phase for over a year, maybe time for an action plan?

I'm talking about Football where the goal is for the coach and his QB who is usually the leader having the team focused on winning. That's what the rest of the league does but you focus on those team awards (from the worst team in football), maybe Arena League is into those distractions?
The team, as bad as it was seemed to have his back as evidenced by the most inspirational player award they gave him.  

Yes let's. 

What this is really about is a bunch rich white people tired of hearing african americans complain and masking their thinly veiled biases in the name of being offended by them 'disrespecting' the flag.

End of story
Bro.....come on man. Yeah some are doing just that. I don't disagree. Racism/thinly veiled biases......they exist on both sides brother. Am I right? Let's not BS each other here.

Things are also not nearly as bad as they were say just 30-40 years ago when we were kids (I am dating myself here). I have seen incredible progress in racial equality. Big time. There are still pockets of racial bias no doubt. But we are so much farther ahead of where we were when I was growing up. It is night and day.

Right, let's sign the giant distraction for 1-2 weeks, have the media circus that will follow him all over the facility and then cut him when Mariota is healthy a few days later.  I could see how any owner, GM, and coach would want that around their team.
"They snubbed him for non-football reasons."

I do too. I just wish he could have done it differently. I just respect our military so much with what they have to do around the world to secure our way of life. I mean it is true insanity oversea's in the middle east folks. Just pure carnage and madmen running around who want nothing more than to burn us all to the ground. It is that bad. 

I guess he did it this way because he knew this would really get the conversation going. But.....at some point you have to reel it in, and respect your country. The country that allows you to be an NFL QB and earn a living beyond your wildest dreams. And those soldiers (kids) are out there dying to protect our way of life.

Some might think it is some hypocrsy....and that is your decision. But this country affords every person born here, regardless of race, creed or color an opportunity to be whatever you dream. Sorry.....it is a fact. So many minorities (I am a minority in this country) are successful and flourishing. What I think is crossing over into this Social injustice conversation is economic differences. That is a whole other conversation. And one I really have no desire to get into. But let's just say I love and believe in capitalism and learning and knowing how to be successful in a capitalistic society is something you control for the most part. Go stake your claim.
1. This is Kaep's point, this country DOESN'T AFFORD every person a fair opportunity to be whatever they dream (that's a bunch of crap in itself---I could NEVER be a Doctor, my brain isn't big enough.). This is just it, white people and privileged people THINK it's a fact and it ISN'T a fact.

2. This is the problem, the people who it would like cost the most (rich, wealthy, powerful white people/families, government,etc.) don't desire to "get into" either.

3. I'm glad that your experience has been a good one as a minority in this country. I'd be curious to know if you have white/privileged minority family/etc. that helped you get a leg up. (Please don't feel like you need to answer this...

~middle class privileged white man

Bro.....come on man. Yeah some are doing just that. I don't disagree. Racism/thinly veiled biases......they exist on both sides brother. Am I right? Let's not BS each other here.

Things are also not nearly as bad as they were say just 30-40 years ago when we were kids (I am dating myself here). I have seen incredible progress in racial equality. Big time. There are still pockets of racial bias no doubt. But we are so much farther ahead of where we were when I was growing up. It is night and day.
I agree, we are miles ahead of where we were, but that doesn't mean we are anywhere close to where we should be or making progress as quickly as we should.

There were several players who stayed seated or stretched or chatted amongst themselves during the anthem before all of this.  Nobody gave a crap that he was sitting during the anthem until they found out why.

Let's use the Packers as an example since they just lost Rodgers. First off, their GM does not sign free agents. He is historically opposed to building his team through free agency with rare exceptions. So only a fool would expect him to change now. Furthermore, this is a team that is BIG on using the players they have to grow in the system. Hundley has been there and Callahan too. Both know the system and McCarthy trusts the system to work with the players he has coached. So it isn't practical to assume they'll bring in someone in Week 7 who doesn't know the system or may need the system to be significantly altered to fit his particular set of skills.

That's one team out of 32 but it's one with a major QB need and there's about a 0% chance Kaepernick will even be considered, much less signed. And none of it has to do with his political stance. It's 100% a football decision. 
Losing Rodgers for the season not rare enough?

Yep and Kelly and Kaep are both out of the league where they belong. Sorry you weren't aware of those incidents before Kaep, glad it got your attention. It's been in the attention phase for over a year, maybe time for an action plan?
So you agree that juuuuust maybe the entire team doesn't suck simply because of Kaep, glad we agree on that. And I'm not making any argument that Kaep is a worthy starter for anyone at QB. Your lack of wit and understanding is amusing, that's actually what got my attention. Well, that and your condescending tone. That is cute too, but it should be backed up by facts if you want it to be effective with anyone other than Weebs. 

So what happens to all the rest of these players when the NFL owners compile a list of those who refuse to stand for the National anthem? I have to assume such a list has been put together.

So what happens to all the rest of these players when the NFL owners compile a list of those who refuse to stand for the National anthem? I have to assume such a list has been put together.
I guess it depends upon how much money rich white owners want to lose by throwing out an inferior product.

Oh the distractions are part of it especially for a brief period.  But how much playbook would he know in a week?
I think this team - players and coaches - could have worked through the "distraction" just fine. As for the playbook, nobody's suggesting whoever they signed should have started over Cassell. Meanwhile, it almost sounds like you are you suggesting that the Titans thought all four of the guys they called were likely to learn (and execute) more of the playbook than Kaep, so that's one of the reasons they didn't call him. Is that what you mean?

Nothing in what Kaepernick does disrespects  the military though. Or the flag. Or the anthem. 

I am also someone who respects the military. I send care packages to soldiers in harm’s way through anysoldier.com every month. Half my friends and family have served.

i see nothing unpatriotic in Kaepernick’s actions. Quite the opposite: he’s exercising his right to freely express his outrage at social injustice, at great personal cost. 

Seeme to me the ones politicizing his stance are the ones showing disrespect. The people spinning it to be about “anti-flag” or “anti military” when it’s nothing of the sort. In fact, a teammate was the one who originally advised Kaep to kneel. That teammate was a veteran. 

The fact that Pat Tillman’s family support what Kaepernick is doing tells me all I need to know about who’s side to take on that front. They’ve said that Pat fought & died to protect Kaepernick’s right to freely protest what he saw as an injustice. 

As for the aside about class & race, you sort of ignore that POC have less advantages and no inherited wealth, which means it’s not the level playing field to economic success as you imply. But as you said, that’s another discussion for another topic.

its good to see (for the most part) a respectful debate about it though, and I appreciate others opinions here em if I’m in disagreement with them. 

Genuine question: Can you help me understand why the physical ritual of standing, removing your hat, and placing your hand on your chest during a song is so important to people?

I think America is a beautiful social experiment and consider myself extremely lucky to have been born here.  To me, that's patriotism--not the bumper sticker, God-bless-where-I-happened-to-be-born version.  My grandfather served and, as a poor black man in the south, that opportunity literally improved the lives of his family three generations removed, at least.  I respect the men and women who serve (but do think the idolization is often over the top).  I just don't get why the physical ritual is so important to people.  My taking my hat of literally does nothing for anybody. Nothing. Yet there are people who would wish harm on me for deciding not to do so.  Humans are evolving, and I hope we continue to move beyond ritualism and orthodoxy. 

Based only on his ability and excluding his baggage, he ought to be on a roster IMO.  But he hung his own albatross around his neck, so it’s a moot point.  And it’s not just the kneeling.  It also has to do with his lack of commitment to his own career and being a crappy teammate among other things. 
 I agree with his point being moo. But I am not sure about the bolded. What is the credible evidence to support that?

I can only weigh in here with my perspective as someone with 20 years in the Army (and still in the Army).  I totally support Colin Kaepernik, or anyone else, expressing their first-amendment right in whatever manner he or she pleases. In an odd way disrespecting the flag is a tremendous affirmation of its power. After all, what does it stand for? It's a symbol of our democracy, which is built on the constitution, which spells out an (at the time) unprecedented amount of individual liberty and freedom from the tyranny of the government. What better way to demonstrate the power of our privilege (speaking about the privilege of every citizen in this country) than to exercise our rights? I have been to some of the places that you mentioned in your post, I have spent nearly three miserable years of my life in those places. I know people who died in those places with our flag proudly displayed on their right shoulder. Kaepernik's protest doesn't do anything to diminish the power of that symbol for me, nor should it for anyone else. I don't think I would choose the flag as an opportunity to protest because I've always thought of it as a beacon towards the best America we can be. It's the object towards which we should always be reaching; a call to our better selves. Something we can rally around.  It isn't, however, for me to tell anyone else how they should feel about it. I would have thought of a more directly related connection between police violence against black people and inequality, but I'm a white dude who hasn't experience that firsthand. After an informal poll of my unit here 75% support protesting the flag as an act of patriotism for which we would all fight. That's a very small sample size and I don't claim to speak for every service member. I guess what I am saying is that if you are afraid of the military being insulted by this, you probably shouldn't be. I don't want to conflate Iraq with an earnest defense of American  freedom and liberties, but I think it gives me an idea of what those Soldiers in the revolutionary war had to go through to earn those aforementioned liberties. The cost was high, so use em and enjoy them as much as you can. When I think about how this situation would be handled in some of the places I've spent time overseas it makes me especially aware of the value and strength of our freedoms and the institutions that uphold them. For the record I think Kaepernik is being avoided by a group of owners for this stance. I think another (Larger) group just doesn't see the payoff for them. If Kaepernik were (a healthy) Aaron Rodgers I think he'd be on a roster pretty damn quick.

Nothing. Too many of them have participated and most of them are starters who simply can't be replaced by a free agent. Plus since the kneeling players are nearly all AA, there would be charges of racism against black players (whether warranted or unwarranted) for exercising their right to kneel silently during the anthem.

For the record I think Kaepernik is being avoided by a group of owners for this stance. I think another (Larger) group just doesn't see the payoff for them. If Kaepernik were (a healthy) Aaron Rodgers I think he'd be on a roster pretty damn quick.
I agree with this.  This isn't a collective, principled stand agianst his protest; it's a collection of individual business decisions.  

Michael Vick got a second chance just because he might possibly have had the potential to be Top 15 QB at that time.
Vick served his punishment and also apologized for his behavior. Not sure how the same standard could be applied to Kaepernick, since he did not commit any crime and certainly has no intention of apologizing for his actions.

Also, you can't undersell Andy Reid's involvement with the Vick situation. Reid stuck his neck out and signed Vick at a time when Vick was as much of a pariah as Kaepernick is right now. And Reid really had no logical reason for signing Vick, since the Eagles already had McNabb (who had just signed a contract extension) and Kolb and both were healthy. And there was little reason to think that Vick (who hadn't played in 2 1/2 years) would ever perform at the levels that he'd performed at in 2006.

I'm not sure if there are any coaches or GMs in the current NFL willing to take the kind of risk that Andy Reid took in 2009.

Geniune question: Can you help me understand why the physical ritual of standing, removing your hat, and placing your hand on your chest during a song is so important to people?

I think America is a beautiful social experiment and consider myself extremely lucky to have been born here.  To me, that's patriotism--not the bumper sticker, God-bless-where-I-happened-to-be-born version.  My grandfather served and, as a poor black man in the south, that opportunity literally improved the lives of his family three generations removed, at least.  I respect the men and women who serve (but do think the idolization is often over the top).  I just don't get why the physical ritual is so important to people.  My taking my hat of literally does nothing for anybody.  Yet there are people who would wish harm on me for deciding not to do so.  Humans are evolving, and I hope we continue to move beyond ritualism and orthodoxy. 
I guess there is something to be said about tradition. I was born and raised to stand, remove my cap and hold my right hand against my heart if a pledge of allegiance or national anthem is being performed live in an event or place I attend in person.

That's all.

I am not at all bent out of shape like some people are about this. Not at all. I just wish it could have gone better. It really has turned into a political #### show. And with the advent of social media......it is on fire. I can't take this crap anymore. 

It's funny.....because I would see people on their phone, talking,  or sitting during the anthem at numerous sporting events. Now ever since this #### hit the fan......the sporting events I have gone too? Everyone is standing. And not everyone is standing because they feel they have too, they don't want to be singled out is my take. It's crazy. In this day and age of social media and YouTube.....you can be tarred and feathered and your character destroyed by a simple video on a phone and not even know it was happening.

Before all this no one would really give a second thought to a person sitting down in their seat during the anthem......now? Oh boy. I have always stood. that was how I was raised. It is simply out of respect to my country and the armed service. I did not judge those who would sit, or talk or whatever. But when you are a professional sports figure on regional/national TV it takes on a new set of circumstance/perception/social rules.

It is what it is. I am way over it. When it first happened....I did not like it. But I respected his right as an American to do it. But when you work for a conglomerate company such as the NFL.....eventually money talks and BS walks.

Reality. 

"I can only weigh in here with my perspective as someone with 20 years in the Army (and still in the Army).  I totally support Colin Kaepernik, or anyone else, expressing their first-amendment right in whatever manner he or she pleases. In an odd way disrespecting the flag is a tremendous affirmation of its power. After all, what does it stand for? It's a symbol of our democracy, which is built on the constitution, which spells out an (at the time) unprecedented amount of individual liberty and freedom from the tyranny of the government. What better way to demonstrate the power of our privilege (speaking about the privilege of every citizen in this country) than to exercise our rights? I have been to some of the places that you mentioned in your post, I have spent nearly three miserable years of my life in those places. I know people who died in those places with our flag proudly displayed on their right shoulder. Kaepernik's protest doesn't do anything to diminish the power of that symbol for me, nor should it for anyone else. I don't think I would choose the flag as an opportunity to protest because I've always thought of it as a beacon towards the best America we can be. It's the object towards which we should always be reaching; a call to our better selves. Something we can rally around.  It isn't, however, for me to tell anyone else how they should feel about it. I would have thought of a more directly related connection between police violence against black people and inequality, but I'm a white dude who hasn't experience that firsthand. After an informal poll of my unit here 75% support protesting the flag as an act of patriotism for which we would all fight. That's a very small sample size and I don't claim to speak for every service member. I guess what I am saying is that if you are afraid of the military being insulted by this, you probably shouldn't be. I don't want to conflate Iraq with an earnest defense of American  freedom and liberties, but I think it gives me an idea of what those Soldiers in the revolutionary war had to go through to earn those aforementioned liberties. The cost was high, so use em and enjoy them as much as you can. When I think about how this situation would be handled in some of the places I've spent time overseas it makes me especially aware of the value and strength of our freedoms and the institutions that uphold them. For the record I think Kaepernik is being avoided by a group of owners for this stance. I think another (Larger) group just doesn't see the payoff for them. If Kaepernik were (a healthy) Aaron Rodgers I think he'd be on a roster pretty damn quick"
This is a tremendous post. I can't disagree at all man. 

And thank you for your service.

Genuine question: Can you help me understand why the physical ritual of standing, removing your hat, and placing your hand on your chest during a song is so important to people?
The problem is that you are calling it just a song. As I stated earlier, it's a reminder that no matter who we are and where we come from we are all Americans first and it's a brief time out during an otherwise typically go-go-go kind of lifestyle to remind us of that and bring us all together. I take my hat off and put my hand over my heart because I was raised to respect our flag. I never served and I feel it's at least my duty to appreciate those who have to give me the benefits I have today. I feel very honored to have known personally and closely a WWII vet who played extremely significant roles in WWII including the landing at Normandy and Battle of the Bulge. Personally, I think of those people when the anthem plays. 

This is true but the Packers would be fools for not signing a 3rd QB. Brett Hundley is a sitting duck, and Joe Callahan has never appeared in an NFL game and he's only been with the team for a little more than 1 season.

Eh, maybe they could trade a 7th rounder for Tolzien, or re-sign Matt Flynn. What's Seneca Wallace up to these days??

I guess there is something to be said about tradition. I was born and raised to stand, remove my cap and hold my right hand against my heart if a pledge of allegiance or national anthem is being performed live in an event or place I attend in person.

That's all.

I am not at all bent out of shape like some people are about this. Not at all. I just wish it could have gone better. It really has turned into a political #### show. And with the advent of social media......it is on fire. I can't take this crap anymore. 

It's funny.....because I would see people on their phone, talking,  or sitting during the anthem at numerous sporting events. Now ever since this #### hit the fan......the sporting events I have gone too? Everyone is standing. And not everyone is standing because they feel they have too, they don't want to be singled out is my take. It's crazy. In this day and age of social media and YouTube.....you can be tarred and feathered and your character destroyed by a simple video on a phone and not even know it was happening.

Before all this no one would really give a second thought to a person sitting down in their seat during the anthem......now? Oh boy. I have always stood. that was how I was raised. It is simply out of respect to my country and the armed service. I did not judge those who would sit, or talk or whatever. But when you are a professional sports figure on regional/national TV it takes on a new set of circumstance/perception/social rules.

It is what it is. I am way over it. When it first happened....I did not like it. But I respected his right as an American to do it. But when you work for a conglomerate company such as the NFL.....eventually money talks and BS walks.

Reality. 
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I'm sick of it too. 

My feelings are--if you (anyone) feel standing for the flag is an important expression of your gratitude, please be my guest.  But don't assign malicious motives to me if the physical act is not important to me.   

Well, that is a difference.  But I'm not sure what the appropriate time served is for kneeling for the anthem (or wearing offensive socks for that matter).  Doesn't seem like it should be the same as for even bullying, much less systemic animal cruelty. 
Of course that is if he is being punished. What was san fran's record last year with him? While i agree he is better than some of the backups out there that have been forced into action, he isnt good enough to carry a team.

His skill set isnt necessarily universally applicable to all offenses either. 

Also didn't he get benched  for Gabbert before all this began? 

This is true but the Packers would be fools for not signing a 3rd QB. Brett Hundley is a sitting duck, and Joe Callahan has never appeared in an NFL game and he's only been with the team for a little more than 1 season.

Eh, maybe they could trade a 7th rounder for Tolzien, or re-sign Matt Flynn. What's Seneca Wallace up to these days??
Ted Thompson trade a draft pick for a player?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You were kidding, right? 

The problem is that you are calling it just a song. As I stated earlier, it's a reminder that no matter who we are and where we come from we are all Americans first and it's a brief time out during an otherwise typically go-go-go kind of lifestyle to remind us of that and bring us all together. I take my hat off and put my hand over my heart because I was raised to respect our flag. I never served and I feel it's at least my duty to appreciate those who have to give me the benefits I have today. I feel very honored to have known personally and closely a WWII vet who played extremely significant roles in WWII including the landing at Normandy and Battle of the Bulge. Personally, I think of those people when the anthem plays. 
It is just a song.  Any value that you find above and beyond that is personal.  And that's great--I'm happy you have that--honestly.  But I don't owe it to anyone to find the same meaning and value in any symbol.  Symbols are tools.  If you find use in a particular symbol, by all means use it.  But understand that the value you find it in it is personal.  

Users who are viewing this thread