What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (14 Viewers)

This is a really poor article. It states that 378 black people have been shot and killed by police since Kaep started kneeling but it also mentions that overall since 2015 3357 people have been shot and killed by police. 

Why didnt they give the total number from August 2016 on instead of from 2015 on? The two numbers presented actually do a disservice to the argument that blacks are disproportionately shot because it makes it look like 378 of 3357 was the rate which is 11.2%. As the article is written we actually have no idea what the % is. 

Cross posted in NFL Anthem thread:

Michael David Smith‏ @MichaelDavSmith 3h3 hours ago

The NFL owners' vote on the new anthem policy was unanimous -- except there was no vote, the owners of the 49ers, Raiders and Jets all disagree with it, and the owner of the Steelers says the policy hasn't been defined well enough to know what constitutes a violation of it.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6530/colin-kaepernick

Yahoo Sports reports that, using a "Washington consulting firm," the NFL polled fans last summer on whether free agent Colin Kaepernick should be signed.

Per reporter Charles Robinson, the poll also included questions on domestic violence, gambling, player protests and player safety. Kap was reportedly the "only player singled out in the research for specific opinions." That could create headaches for the league in Kap's collusion lawsuit.

Source: Yahoo Sports

Know what I think?

At every football game, every single child in America should kneel during the anthem because this piss poor reaction to school shootings is shameful.

At every football game, any person who wants to express their frustration with the country, or protest something, should kneel during the anthem.

So the owners decide to prevent their owned athletes from making a statement...it's time for the public to make a statement.

squistion said:
Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin on Trump's latest NFL remarks:

"He’s an idiot, plain and simple."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2018/05/24/doug-baldwin-president-donald-trump-national-anthem-protest/642649002/
The NFL owners just had an impromptu meeting and decided that freedom of speech in any area of a players lives has been revoked.  

If they don't like it, they can find somewhere else to work.  This is America.  You can't be having folks hurt business by speaking their minds.

Can't have folks like Baldwin running their mouths and causing trouble for that money flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Know what I think?

At every football game, every single child in America should kneel during the anthem because this piss poor reaction to school shootings is shameful.

At every football game, any person who wants to express their frustration with the country, or protest something, should kneel during the anthem.

So the owners decide to prevent their owned athletes from making a statement...it's time for the public to make a statement.
Nothing says stop school shootings like protesting a football game

The NFL owners just had an impromptu meeting and decided that freedom of speech in any area of a players lives has been revoked.  

If they don't like it, they can find somewhere else to work.  This is America.  You can't be having folks hurt business by speaking their minds.

Can't have folks like Baldwin running their mouths and causing trouble for that money flow.
What is the point of this fake rant?

What is the point of this fake rant?
To express annoyance at the ridiculousness of both the reaction and the support of the NFL owners to squelch inconvenient views.

It has? No, it’s just been limited when they are on the clock of their employers, just like everyone else in this country. 

They may be considering it, but I am skeptical it actually goes beyond that.

Shaun King‏ @ShaunKing 2h2 hours ago

BREAKING:

Several star @NFL players have told me they are considering sitting out the season until the de facto ban of Eric Reid and Colin Kaepernick is removed and both men are given spots back on rosters. They aim to get 25% of the players to sit out with them.

BREAKING:

Several star @NFL players have told me they are considering sitting out the season until the de facto ban of Eric Reid and Colin Kaepernick is removed and both men are given spots back on rosters. They aim to get 25% of the players to sit out with them.
Awesome 

BREAKING:

Good luck.

BREAKING:

I bet he made that up. Thats the kind if guy he is. 

BREAKING:

When will the de facto ban on Vaccarro, Boston, Bowman etc be removed?

I am curious here, for those of you with kids in school.  Is the Pledge of Allegiance still a daily requirement in most schools?  If one walks out or refuses to recite, are there consequences?
Probably not. Most of them can't read or remember the words.

BREAKING:

Sit out OTAs, training camp, preseason...sure until it hits them in the wallet. Once that happens, they all come waltzing in with some excuse why they didn't sit out when $ is involved. They will look like idiots. Remember when Rishard Matthews claimed he was gonna quit? So lame.

AngryNFLScoutVet‏ @angryscout2

More

AngryNFLScoutVet Retweeted ProFootballTalk

There is no chance of this happening. Not enough players have so much money saved that they can not only forfeit checks but pay massive fines. Irresponsible for any media to even publish an article or tweet this. Tom Brady and about 40 others at the most could do this. That’s it

Yeah, both guys I pasted tweets of work, or worked, in the NFL and are much more aware of what the players may do than you and Shaun King combined.  

I look forward to you littering the board trying to provide King some credibility.  
I posted King's quote and noted I was skeptical this would ever happen. If I hadn't posted it, probably some one else would have (judging from the reaction on social media, it was considered newsworthy). I was not trying to provide him credibility.

I did not know Shaun King was half white...Same as Kap.
How is it relevant to the discussion of the anthem protest that Kaep is of mixed race? Stealthy Cat (not surprisingly) has raised this issue repeatedly suggesting that Kaep is somehow less credible as a spokesperson on race issues because his mother was white, but I don't see the logic in that.

How is it relevant to the discussion of the anthem protest that Kaep is of mixed race? Stealthy Cat (not surprisingly) has raised this issue repeatedly suggesting that Kaep is somehow less credible as a spokesperson on race issues because his mother was white, but I don't see the logic in that.
I think it is good that the half-white men stay involved in social issues.

Yeah, you've never mentioned race in a Colin Kaepernick thread.  What could I be thinking?
We are talking about separate and unrelated issues. Whether race or racism is a factor in how the NFL and the public have reacted to the kneeling controversy has been a part of the discussion since the inception of this thread (actually before that as this was a continuation of FC24's Kaep thread in FFA).

Kaep's race is related and relevant to the issues of this thread. However I don't see the relevance or significance to the fact that he is of mixed race, rather than having two black parents and I am awaiting an explanation as to why that was brought up.

I posted King's quote and noted I was skeptical this would ever happen. If I hadn't posted it, probably some one else would have (judging from the reaction on social media, it was considered newsworthy). I was not trying to provide him credibility.
What you should have been skeptical of is if he actually even had any conversations with NFl stars. He is a confirmed liar. Wait a minute...

BREAKING:

:lmao:   HFS, good thing you were on top of all these situation all holiday weekend.  

Washington Post - Kaiser Family Poll shows 53% of Americans think kneeling during the national anthem is "never appropriate".

When John Carlos engaged in silent protest at the 1968 Olympics, it was really irrelevant how many people in America thought it was "appropriate."
Also, if the poll's question was about protesting the anthem than the poll's validity has just been lost since the athletes are not protesting the anthem. 

Also, if the poll's question was about protesting the anthem than the poll's validity has just been lost since the athletes are not protesting the anthem. 
As with any poll, how the question is phrased and how it is interpreted by the respondents can give a misleading result. Let' see if these same numbers can be replicated by other polls that will be done in the coming weeks/months.

Users who are viewing this thread