What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (2 Viewers)

this seems pretty stupid after one good game. time will tell.
Not really. Nothing makes this move permanent- if Kaepernick sucks, Smith is still on the roster ready to resume his duties. Don't try to tell me that this will rattle his confidence, because that ship has long sailed- 49er fans have been calling for his head for years, every major football analyst was labeling him one of the biggest busts ever and comparing him to David Carr, and he played with something crazy like 7 offensive coordinators in his first 7 years. Last year, he finally had a great season and led his team to the NFCCG, and Harbaugh rewarded him by going hard after Peyton Manning and letting Smith test the free agency waters. And Smith responded to that vote of absolutely no confidence by coming back and having another extremely solid season. At this point, being benched so the coaching staff can evaluate his backup is nothing Alex Smith isn't used to. And if the coaching staff, after giving Kaepernick an extended audition, decide that their best chance to win lies with Alex Smith... well, Alex Smith will be right there to step back in and provide the Niners with their best chance to win. Evaluating Kaepernick is a no-risk, no-downside move. While it doesn't provide a downside, it provides plenty of upside. I think we all agree that the Niners offense is potentially more explosive with Kaep taking snaps. Moreover, Kaep was drafted high to be the quarterback of the future (#36 overall), so at some point the coaching staff has to see what they have in him. Smith's deal is essentially a 1-year contract, so if they don't evaluate Kaep in live action, the Niners are essentially flying blind this offseason- do they let Smith go and roll with Kaep, or do they need to keep Smith around for another couple of seasons? At some point, the decision needs to be made. This is the perfect point- they've built up enough of a lead that they aren't risking a playoff spot (although they are risking seeding), Kaep already has a lot of goodwill from the fan base after last week's performance, Smith is still nominally recovering from an injury, Kaep can take some live bullets from playoff-caliber teams so Harbaugh can decide which way to go in the actual playoffs. Plus, it gives his opponents one more thing they have to prepare for. High upside move, little to no downside (Kaep can be replaced at any time, and at the very worst all you're risking is seeding), it seems to me like this is the only smart play available.
Also, it's not just one good game. Go back to the fourth preseason game and you will see the same ability to extend plays, play action, run the ball, accuracy, etc. Kaepernick is not the same player he was last year. I'm not sure if he'll excel, but starting in the middle-end of offseason, his accuracy was getting a lot of hype (until the mid/end of this offseason, the rap was grim re: all the Niners QBs so far as accuracy), and he and Johnson were the only QBs willing to push the ball deep.Calling it "just one good game" only proves you haven't followed the Niners for the last several months to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta feel bad for Smith. Dude had really turned his job around, and the truth is he was playing good football...better than at least half the starters in the league. he didn't deserve to get benched.That said...can't blame Harbaugh if Kap has looked even half as good in practice as he did in that game. Rare case of a very good player getting benched for a great one.
'very good' and 'great' have to be hyperbole, right?
Smith has played "very good" by any remotely objective measure. Kap's game against Chicago was "great" by any objective measure. Smith has been "very good" over the past season and a half by any remotely objective measure. SO the only question is: Is Kap going to be "great" in the future. Since we' aren't in a postion to see him in practice, and Harbaugh is...and Harbaugh just benched his "very good" QB for Kap...I don't think my statement is hyperbole whatsoever.

I may be crazy, but I'm not sure how juicy Kaep's matchup is this week. New Orleans D shut down Oak on the road last week, and seem to turning things around. Plus, Saints historically play better at home than on the road. Hype train might slow down a bit this week.

I may be crazy, but I'm not sure how juicy Kaep's matchup is this week. New Orleans D shut down Oak on the road last week, and seem to turning things around. Plus, Saints historically play better at home than on the road. Hype train might slow down a bit this week.
This is also a virtual playoff game for New Orleans, and that place will be LOUD.He may have success, but he won't stroll into the dome and dominate like he did the other night.

I picked up Kaep off the waiver wire this past off season for my dynasty team. He was a 2nd round rookie pick and his owner dropped him during last season to make room for some other player near the end of the season. I decided that this might be the season when Harbaugh took a chance on him since he was targeted by Harbaugh when he was drafted out of Nevada as the first pick of the 2nd round.

Meanwhile, I drafted RGIII this season.

Needless to note, I am incredibly pleased at Kaep's opportunity here.

It has me wondering, what is Kaep's upside? He looks to be a running qb with some decent passing skills on a good to great coached team that has a pretty good offense. I am thinking Kaep has realistic chance to be a top 5 fantasy qb.

Seattle fan here.

I'm not happy about this. I would much rather face Smith at the end of this season with a playoff spot on the line.

Kaep passed the eye test for all of us, and he did the same for Harbaugh too. I would have been more surprised if this didn't happen. As a Vernon Davis owner, I'm as happy as he is about the move.

This is also a virtual playoff game for New Orleans, and that place will be LOUD.He may have success, but he won't stroll into the dome and dominate like he did the other night.
The Saints have a score to settle with SF, too, after the playoff loss last year.

The Saints have a score to settle with SF, too, after the playoff loss last year.
Should be a great game, and wouldn't be surprised at all to see NO win, but NO should be much more concerned with the #1 rush offense versus their last place rush defense than Kaepernick.

'GordonGekko said:
It has me wondering, what is Kaep's upside?
IMHO, ceiling is like Billy Volek, end of 2004. Relentless deep vertical strikes locking onto one receiver ( maybe Moss or Davis)Floor is Big Ben, average of 2004. Elusive game manager surrounded by a deep team that plays disciplined fundamentally sound football. The 49ers have a very good offensive line and probably the best guard tandem in the entire NFL ( Iupati and Boone) Unlike all the rookie QBs this year, Kapernick has a year of training under his belt. To his disadvantage, a lot of the other young QBs have had more time to see real action than him. He will have time to heave the rock. I think this becomes a two part deal. It's not just Kapernick - Hunter, Walker and Moss are all going to have to step up as receivers. Particularly Moss to pull coverage off of Davis. I think Walker is a very underrated potential weapon. Gore is winding down some, Hunter is going to have to play very well here down the stretch, the Niners are going to need him. Like Volek, if Kaepernick finds some burn, he's still a matchup play. IMHO, no matter how the numbers trend out even if he's shredding a defense, you still have to consider the defense. I don't believe his upside this year is matchup proof.
I haven't followed him but isn't he also a running QB where you could count on rush yards each week too?

'GordonGekko said:
IMHO, ceiling is like Billy Volek, end of 2004. Relentless deep vertical strikes locking onto one receiver ( maybe Moss or Davis)Floor is Big Ben, average of 2004. Elusive game manager surrounded by a deep team that plays disciplined fundamentally sound football. The 49ers have a very good offensive line and probably the best guard tandem in the entire NFL ( Iupati and Boone) Unlike all the rookie QBs this year, Kapernick has a year of training under his belt. To his disadvantage, a lot of the other young QBs have had more time to see real action than him. He will have time to heave the rock. I think this becomes a two part deal. It's not just Kapernick - Hunter, Walker and Moss are all going to have to step up as receivers. Particularly Moss to pull coverage off of Davis. I think Walker is a very underrated potential weapon. Gore is winding down some, Hunter is going to have to play very well here down the stretch, the Niners are going to need him. Like Volek, if Kaepernick finds some burn, he's still a matchup play. IMHO, no matter how the numbers trend out even if he's shredding a defense, you still have to consider the defense. I don't believe his upside this year is matchup proof.
I haven't followed him but isn't he also a running QB where you could count on rush yards each week too?
Yes. He was basically Tim Tebow of the West in college. 4000 career rushing yards and 59 scores. Passed for 2000+ and rushed for 1000+ in 3 straight years. The third member of the 20/20 TD club with Tebow and Newton. Harbaugh was using Kaep as a gimmick/package QB even when Smith was starting.

Seattle fan here.I'm not happy about this. I would much rather face Smith at the end of this season with a playoff spot on the line.
I love it as a hawks fan for a few reasons....1) We will get enough game film to plan for him2) If he falls on his face it will cause turmoil. 3) Smith is fragile....this kills him mentally.

'GordonGekko said:
Yes. He was basically Tim Tebow of the West in college. 4000 career rushing yards and 59 scores. Passed for 2000+ and rushed for 1000+ in 3 straight years. The third member of the 20/20 TD club with Tebow and Newton. Harbaugh was using Kaep as a gimmick/package QB even when Smith was starting.
The difference is how Harbaugh and the niners are bringing him along. Kaep has the skillset and and possibly the situation to be more successfull than Cam or Tebow. If Kaep continues to improve his accuracy as a passer, look out. Especially when he's outside the pocket.I wanna see Kaep when the chips are down. I wanna see how he responds. Im not betting against him at this point.

'Manster said:
'SSOG said:
'GoBirds said:
'GordonGekko said:
'pghrob said:
The difference is how Harbaugh and the niners are bringing him along. Kaep has the skillset and and possibly the situation to be more successfull than Cam or Tebow. If Kaep continues to improve his accuracy as a passer, look out. Especially when he's outsided the pocket.I wanna see Kaep when the chips are down. I wanna see how he responds. Im not betting against him at this point.
So even on an off day he could salvage some points with say 50 yds rushing?I assume he's not on the RGIII level but more of a threat than Russell Wilson or say Vick?

'ImTheScientist said:
'Hooper31 said:
Seattle fan here.I'm not happy about this. I would much rather face Smith at the end of this season with a playoff spot on the line.
I love it as a hawks fan for a few reasons....1) We will get enough game film to plan for him2) If he falls on his face it will cause turmoil. 3) Smith is fragile....this kills him mentally.
#3 is insane. Harbaugh hung a giant flashing sign this offseason that said "we don't want you". He went hard after Manning and let Smith get wined and dined by other teams in free agency. Smith essentially only came back on a 1-year deal. The mentally fragile Smith has responded this year with 8 YPA and a triple digit QB rating.

'ImTheScientist said:
'Hooper31 said:
#3 is insane. Harbaugh hung a giant flashing sign this offseason that said "we don't want you". He went hard after Manning and let Smith get wined and dined by other teams in free agency. Smith essentially only came back on a 1-year deal. The mentally fragile Smith has responded this year with 8 YPA and a triple digit QB rating.
How has he responded when down this season? **See the Giants game.Are you saying you like Smith a lot and he is mentally tough? If not please explain what you are saying.Too the guys that "feel sorry for him". He is making a ton of money playing a game.

'ImTheScientist said:
'Hooper31 said:
Agreed. If anything, Smith has shown nothing but resiliency over his career so far. Smith has been called a bust up until the recent success. I'll add that I believe Harbaugh and his staff have created a system that has promoted success for the players. I also think the niners players, Smith and Kaep included, understand they have a pretty special team right now. The niners seem to have a team first mentality to me.

I'll add that I believe Harbaugh and his staff have created a system that has promoted success for the players. I also think the niners players, Smith and Kaep included, understand they have a pretty special team right now. The niners seem to have a team first mentality to me.
Name me a playoff contender that doesn't have a team first mentality? :football:

'Bucky86 said:
Starting him over Rivers and Stafford. Spent the last of my free-agent money on him...
Kaep will have to have a good complete game to beat Stafford's 1st half. ;)

'Bucky86 said:
Starting him over Rivers and Stafford. Spent the last of my free-agent money on him...
Kaep will have to have a good complete game to beat Stafford's 1st half. ;)
Maybe that guy was hoping the 49ers who throw the second least amount of times will throw more than lions who average the most attempts per game. That guy just failed. Then again....starting your studs is a bunch of crap according to another thread. :rolleyes:

'ImTheScientist said:
'Hooper31 said:
Seattle fan here.

I'm not happy about this. I would much rather face Smith at the end of this season with a playoff spot on the line.
I love it as a hawks fan for a few reasons....1) We will get enough game film to plan for him

2) If he falls on his face it will cause turmoil.

3) Smith is fragile....this kills him mentally.
Alex Smith is a lot of things. Mentally fragile is not one of them.ETA - and to answer GoBirds, yes, I'd bank on at least 30 yards rushing. If he plays the entire game I'd be stunned if he didn't give you at least 15 points (standard scoring). With the potential for twice that.

'ImTheScientist said:
'Hooper31 said:
Kaep is already the best QB in the NFCW...it's science

'ImTheScientist said:
'Hooper31 said:
Seattle fan here.

I love it as a hawks fan for a few reasons....1) We will get enough game film to plan for him

Alex Smith is a lot of things. Mentally fragile is not one of them.ETA - and to answer GoBirds, yes, I'd bank on at least 30 yards rushing. If he plays the entire game I'd be stunned if he didn't give you at least 15 points (standard scoring). With the potential for twice that.
Smith still plays scared at times, and Harbaugh still has to keep his confidence level up. Smith still plays with booos in his head. He still gets easily rattled and still takes too many sacks. Confidence in throws goes with mental toughness. Smith still struggles with that. There is a whole lotta still there.

'GordonGekko said:
'drummer said:
I think I owe you an apology. You pretty much called the QB change a while ago.ETA: Smith in GB would be totally ironic. But I'm not gonna call this one crazy.
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=652315&st=0&p=14681797entry14681797http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=652315&st=0&p=14684845entry14684845No need to apologize, I appreciate the sentiment though, it was obviously a complex QB situation in SF with a team trying to figure out if a veteran or a young player was the best bet for this team. My hope for Smith is that he reaches someone with WCO pedigree. While the Bill Walsh tree is dying off in the NFL, I still feel the best QB training comes from WCO roots. The Holmgrens, Reids and Musgraves are still the coaches I'd want to be around if I was a young QB. I think the job Musgrave has done with Ponder and the Vikings has been phenomenal and very underrated. Seeing where Ponder was a year ago to now, even struggling now, is like night and day. Smith is still very young in age so I hope he can go somewhere stable to get some solid QB mentoring. Bill Simmons once likened Smith to Jim Plunkett and that's what I hope is the end result for him. A Plunkett like career where he gets a late career resurgence. Unfortunately or fortunately, it just won't be with the Niners.
I think Dalton is in a WCO based offense, and Pete Carroll comes from the 49er tree of coaching when he was DC there under Seifert. Smith with a "Plunkett" like resurgence would be great if he played across the Bay too.

'Hipple said:
'Dr. Awesome said:
Thank you for posting that, red. I really like the class Alex has consistently displayed as a Niner. He's taken a lot of crap over the years (much of it justified), but no matter what he almost always handles situations with dignity, poise, and says the 'right' things. Kudos to the guy. I hope his career continues to flourish whether it keeps him in SF or leads him elsewhere.
He's getting 4.5 million to back up kaep. not too shabby a gig. But this team is better with kaepernik.
:goodposting: Smith made 7 million over the past 2 seasons. This along with the other millions he made there. For he to still be on the 49ers is a testament to both he and the Organization.

'renesauz said:
'mr roboto said:
'renesauz said:
Gotta feel bad for Smith. Dude had really turned his job around, and the truth is he was playing good football...better than at least half the starters in the league. he didn't deserve to get benched.That said...can't blame Harbaugh if Kap has looked even half as good in practice as he did in that game. Rare case of a very good player getting benched for a great one.
'very good' and 'great' have to be hyperbole, right?
Smith has played "very good" by any remotely objective measure. Kap's game against Chicago was "great" by any objective measure. Smith has been "very good" over the past season and a half by any remotely objective measure. SO the only question is: Is Kap going to be "great" in the future. Since we' aren't in a postion to see him in practice, and Harbaugh is...and Harbaugh just benched his "very good" QB for Kap...I don't think my statement is hyperbole whatsoever.
I don't think it's a "very good vs. great" decision. It's how deeper they can get into the playbook.

'ImTheScientist said:
'flapgreen said:
Horrible mistake.
People said this about Pete Carroll starting Russell Wilson as well. Pete had the balls to do it from game 1....it turned out great.
This is the reason why the 49ers hired Harbaugh. For years 49er fans have been screaming for an offensive head coach to find a QBOTF. They finally have one who has been doing that since he got here.

Yahoo's Jason Cole on the QB move

As a quarterback who came up short of greatness and was eventually replaced by it, San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh has an acute understanding of what it takes from that position to achieve a championship.

With that in mind, Harbaugh reportedly made second-year quarterback Colin Kaepernick his starter, replacing incumbent Alex Smith, who was informed by Harbaugh that the reason was unrelated to Smith's concussion, according to Jim Trotter of Sports Illustrated.

Armed with a great defense, a strong offensive line and a powerful running game, the 49ers are poised to return to the playoffs this season after making the NFC championship game. Going with Kaepernick would be a bold move, but a safe play that people make when they've had a little success and think they can recreate it easily. It's the move that ignores what's going on around the NFL.

The bold maneuver wouldn't be so much about Kaepernick's superlative performance against Chicago on Monday night. It's about what Kaepernick might do if given a chance to develop, starting now.

He can be great with his rocket arm and deer-like legs. Anyone who saw his talents – accuracy, touch and composure – knows that Kaepernick can translate the raw into the refined.

By comparison, Smith is a good quarterback with a low ceiling. His arm is mundane, lacking the power to cut through the winds of Candlestick Park. He has good scrambling ability, but he doesn't scare anyone with his legs. If you put Smith up against likely NFC playoff foes Aaron Rodgers of Green Bay, Eli Manning of the New York Giants, Jay Cutler of Chicago, Matt Ryan of Atlanta and Drew Brees of New Orleans or Tony Romo of Dallas, he might be fourth best.

At best.

Throw in possible AFC foes Tom Brady of New England, Peyton Manning of Denver, Ben Roethlisberger of Pittsburgh or even Matt Schaub of Houston, and Smith continues to fall in the rankings.

Harbaugh knows that better than anyone. That's why he used his power to push for Kaepernick in the draft last year. It's why he tried to recruit Peyton Manning in the offseason.

Like Smith, Harbaugh had a good-but-not-great career. He made an AFC championship game with Indianapolis in the 1995 season. By 1998, the Colts had sent Harbaugh packing and drafted Peyton Manning.

Understand the lesson? It's OK if you don't, because Harbaugh learned it very well. He watched during the 1990s as guys like Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Brett Favre and John Elway dominated.

Harbaugh has watched the past decade or so as Brady, Roethlisberger, the Mannings, Brees and Rodgers have combined to win 10 of the past 11 titles. The 11 years is perhaps the greatest era of quarterbacking in NFL history.

If you want to win a title and take advantage of the terrific talent you have, you better have a great trigger man. Good is acceptable, but the potential for great is too compelling, too necessary.

And that's why, as Harbaugh watched Kaepernick fire strikes downfield at one moment and later roll left to buy time before deftly throwing a TD pass, Harbaugh knew. He knew he had someone with special talent. He knew he had to make a move.

He had to make it now. With the 49ers playing New Orleans this week and four of the next five on the road, Harbaugh has a limited amount of time to get Kaepernick ready for a playoff run.

Or, more important, a run to the greatness that eluded Harbaugh as a player.

Whole lotta people using words like "QB of the future" after one good game. As a Niner fan, I hope that's the case, but I have major doubts about the timing of this change.

My main fear is that Kaep hits a rookie slump after teams figure him out better, and that it happens just in time for the playoffs.

As a fan, I really hope I'm wrong.

Whole lotta people using words like "QB of the future" after one good game. As a Niner fan, I hope that's the case, but I have major doubts about the timing of this change. My main fear is that Kaep hits a rookie slump after teams figure him out better, and that it happens just in time for the playoffs. As a fan, I really hope I'm wrong.
It's not so much Kaep being the QBOTF, but more so that Harbaugh is pulling the trigger to find one. As a fan, I'm totally stoked.

If we were rebuilding or even just a fringe team I'd agree 100%. But he's messing with an already dominant NFL team that looked like it can win now with its existing pieces.

But i suppose in harbaugh we trust.

If we were rebuilding or even just a fringe team I'd agree 100%. But he's messing with an already dominant NFL team that looked like it can win now with its existing pieces. But i suppose in harbaugh we trust.
Always remember 2004: Rattay, Pickett, Dorsey. All 7th round scrubs.

'ImTheScientist said:
'Hooper31 said:
Seattle fan here.

How has he responded when down this season? **See the Giants game.Are you saying you like Smith a lot and he is mentally tough? If not please explain what you are saying.

Too the guys that "feel sorry for him". He is making a ton of money playing a game.
To be fair, SF's D played poorly that day as well.Also, I'm not sure what you mean about #2. After all the crap Smith has been through, it's clear that if Kaep "falls on his face", Smith will be right there to pick up the slack and be his usual game manager self.

If we were rebuilding or even just a fringe team I'd agree 100%. But he's messing with an already dominant NFL team that looked like it can win now with its existing pieces. But i suppose in harbaugh we trust.
Always remember 2004: Rattay, Pickett, Dorsey. All 7th round scrubs.
Exactly why I'm nervous. What's the old saying? If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Vernon Davis and Randy Moss need the rock. That's what needs fixing.

Kaep to start according to Donte Whitner

Colin Kaepernick will start for the San Francisco 49ers against the New Orleans Saints over incumbent starter Alex Smith, Niners safety Donte Whitner said Friday in comments on "The Dan Patrick Show," according to NFL.com.

Although 49ers Coach Jim Harbaugh hasn't officially named Kaepernick the starter for Sunday's game -- opting to keep the mystery alive -- Smith hasn’t taken snaps with the first team in practice or been cleared for contact.

Kaepernick came in for the injured Smith (concussion) against the St. Louis Rams in Week 10 -- a game that ended in a tie.

However, in his first career start under center, Kaepernick led the 49ers to a victory, 32-7, over the NFC North-leading Chicago Bears on "Monday Night Football."

The second-year pro went 16-of-23, passing for 243 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions against a stingy Bears defense that has racked up an NFL-best 19 picks this season so far.

Kaepernick also ran for 10 yards on four attempts.

Smith has completed 152 passes for 1,731 yards and 13 touchdowns with just five interceptions. He's been a reliable component for the 49ers (7-2-1), who sit at the top of the NFC West.

In his absence, Kaepernick will be expected to maintain the team's winning ways. If he does, he might be able to hold on to the starting role.

. Smith essentially only came back on a 1-year deal. The mentally fragile Smith has responded this year with 8 YPA and a triple digit QB rating.
Yea while leading an offense that I think was 29th or 30th in net passing yards per game and barely cracking 200 yards a game. Smith is basically performing like he did last season. You know the season he had and entered FA and no one wanted him because he's a game manager.

This current 49'er reminded me so much of the mid to late 90's Steeler's teams. Great D, one of the best OL's in the league, strong running game. Everything in place except you knew when the playoffs started every team they faced would have a superior QB. They got just enough of a mediocre performance from the likes of Kordell and O'Donell that they never properly addressed the one position on that team that constantly held them back and that was in an era when QB's were not as key as they are today. The 49'ers were headed down this same path and what's more is they knew it. That's why they pursued Peyton and that's why they are going to give CP a chance.

Not so fast?

----

Per Rotoworld--

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said Friday that he will not announce a Week 12 starter ahead of Sunday's tilt with New Orleans.

Harbaugh's quarterback plans have already been exposed, but he's trying to keep the red-hot Saints off balance. They'll have to prepare for both quarterbacks. Fantasy owners should still be pretty confident that Colin Kaepernick will get the starting nod. Alex Smith (concussion) is expected to receive medical clearance on Saturday, but is likely to serve as the No. 2 quarterback.

----

If Harbaugh's plans had been exposed what's the big deal of naming the starter. Tricky Harbaugh.

Kaep got all the 1st team reps in practice this week...I can't see Alex starting if he didn't get any of those reps, especially coming off a concussion.

. Smith essentially only came back on a 1-year deal. The mentally fragile Smith has responded this year with 8 YPA and a triple digit QB rating.
Yea while leading an offense that I think was 29th or 30th in net passing yards per game and barely cracking 200 yards a game. Smith is basically performing like he did last season. You know the season he had and entered FA and no one wanted him because he's a game manager.

This current 49'er reminded me so much of the mid to late 90's Steeler's teams. Great D, one of the best OL's in the league, strong running game. Everything in place except you knew when the playoffs started every team they faced would have a superior QB. They got just enough of a mediocre performance from the likes of Kordell and O'Donell that they never properly addressed the one position on that team that constantly held them back and that was in an era when QB's were not as key as they are today. The 49'ers were headed down this same path and what's more is they knew it. That's why they pursued Peyton and that's why they are going to give CP a chance.
I'm not saying Smith isn't a game manager, or that Kaep isn't an upgrade. I'm saying it's stupid to insinuate his confidence will be shaken and his performance will suffer if he's called on again. As you point out, last offseason Harbaugh basically bought a billboard outside of the team's facilities that read "Dear Alex, you're our third choice and we desperately hope we aren't forced to go into another season with you as the starter". And as you point out, Alex Smith is performing exactly the same as he was before Harbaugh fed him that giant turd sandwich. His confidence wasn't shaken. His feelings weren't hurt. He didn't fall into a desperate shame spiral and develop a heroin habit. He's performing exactly the same, or maybe a little bit better. So suggesting that benching him for Kaep will somehow deal a deathblow to his poor fragile little psyche is certifiable. Smith knows he's a fallback option, and it hasn't affected him to date. So it's not like he's suddenly learning he's the fallback option, and that this is going to suddenly send him down the tubes. Alex is a rock. You might as well see what you have in Kaep, and if you discover he's not ready yet, good old reliable Alex Smith will still be there to pick up the pieces. San Fran has nothing to lose by giving Kaep an audition.

Smith's stats are kinda misleading in that he had two games where he faced some real bad defenses (AZ with poor tackling that had the YAC racking up numbers on short throws) to almost historically bad defenses (see: BUF). He had a solid start the first two games against GB and DET, sputtered against MIN, went 12-27 143 yards with 0 TDs against NYJ, to then the total offensive explosion against BUF (where they racked up over 600 yards total offense, with 303 yards passing) , then back to Old Alex Smith against NYG and SEA. This while still being poor on 3rd down, which is still left over from the past few years despite Harbaugh and Roman's new offense. Kaep while not starting has been with Harbaugh as long as Smith has, although Smith had the playbook longer and ran "Camp Alex" in the first Harbaugh off-season. Smith of course has more NFL experience, but Harbaugh has spent a lot of time correcting all Smith's poor mechanics and bad habits left over from years of poor coaching. Kaep already has shown better mechanics, better arm strength, better pocket awareness, better read and recognition, better footwork in the pocket, etc. Kaep's grasp of the offense seems sudden almost, and while still raw would take over from Smith's job anyway after this season.

One game doesn't make a Franchise QB, but even Smith's several under Harbaugh has made it clear he isn't the 49er Franchise QB either. Not with Harbaugh still trying to find one.

I'm not saying Smith isn't a game manager, or that Kaep isn't an upgrade. I'm saying it's stupid to insinuate his confidence will be shaken and his performance will suffer if he's called on again. As you point out, last offseason Harbaugh basically bought a billboard outside of the team's facilities that read "Dear Alex, you're our third choice and we desperately hope we aren't forced to go into another season with you as the starter". And as you point out, Alex Smith is performing exactly the same as he was before Harbaugh fed him that giant turd sandwich. His confidence wasn't shaken. His feelings weren't hurt. He didn't fall into a desperate shame spiral and develop a heroin habit. He's performing exactly the same, or maybe a little bit better. So suggesting that benching him for Kaep will somehow deal a deathblow to his poor fragile little psyche is certifiable. Smith knows he's a fallback option, and it hasn't affected him to date. So it's not like he's suddenly learning he's the fallback option, and that this is going to suddenly send him down the tubes. Alex is a rock. You might as well see what you have in Kaep, and if you discover he's not ready yet, good old reliable Alex Smith will still be there to pick up the pieces. San Fran has nothing to lose by giving Kaep an audition.
There is a total difference in the whole confidence thing between Kaep and Smith. It comes down to throws, and yes, Smith still struggles with confidence there. As I posted earlier, confidence comes with making tough decisions on the field, and having confidence in the offensive line, the receivers, and the arm. Smith has had games where his psyche was in question this season. NYG and SEA back to back is one example.

So many people would be upset if A.Smith was the starter 5 mins before game time..
Or even worse, 5 mins after. Kap trots on to the field, hands the ball off to Gore for a play, and then Smith takes over. I really don't trust Harbaugh, and it's hard to feel 100% confident unless Smith is inactive. I hope it's Kap, though, as a fan I am really looking forward to watching more plays like the option on the Hunter TD. Just looks so slick.

smith has not been cleared for contact yet so he has not practiced fully all week. no way harbaugh just gives it back to Smith with little to no prep and coming off a concussion. right? :unsure:

smith has not been cleared for contact yet so he has not practiced fully all week. no way harbaugh just gives it back to Smith with little to no prep and coming off a concussion. right? :unsure:
I think Harbaugh expects Smith to be cleared tomorrow. Smith has already passed an independant test, but he has been in no-contact dress this week in practice with Kaep getting first reps. Then again, it could be all Harbaugh smoke and mirrors.

Users who are viewing this thread