What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Time to sell on Brees?? (1 Viewer)

TheKillerBrees

Footballguy
As you can tell by my handle I kinda like the guy! lol

I just got offered Paul Perkins for Brees though (And I might be able to pull a small amount more from him, although that's not for sure as the offer was 1 for 1)

It's a 2 QB league though (We MUST play 2 every week - 8 team league) and we have a 5 roster max

I have Brees, Carr, Winston, Garopollo and Oswieller (Although 98% sure he's getting cut and I will draft a new 5th if I can get someone worth it in the 2nd or 3rd round of our rookie draft)

I could use a good young RB (I have DJ and Ajayi, but I get thin real quick after those 2)

Brees is 38, he could start falling off any time  now (Or he could be top 3 again??) But then I worry about bye weeks and such if I lose him...

I am not at all sure what to think of this one right now... any thoughts???

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if you can get a qb in return to cover your bye weeks or a 3rd to have extra ammo to move up or take two of these rookies. Even drafting a rookie I'm not sure any start week 1 so you still might need some depth. 

No way would I trade Brees for Perkins in a start 2 QB league, especially when you only have 2 other NFL starters.  You would be left without any backup until maybe Garopollo eventually, possibly becomes an NFL starter, maybe.  Perkins is not guaranteed to be anything in the NFL as he hasn't really earned the starting job he is being handed in the press.  I don't think Perkins will become a good starting RB and in the end he will be in that pile of players who are always looked to being replaced.  Getting Siemian in the deal doesn't change it.  You are giving up a high-end starter, albeit an old one, for 2 questionable long term prospects who happen to be young.  You lose big in the short term and have no guarantee to gain anything in the long term.  I would rather have Glennon over Siemian, especially with the rumors that Lynch has a good shot at winning the starting job.

NOW we're talkin...

Now I can get Tannehill back in the deal.

Tannelhill and Perkins for Brees and something... (Either a lesser RB or a pick, probably my 2nd (16th overall))

??

NOW we're talkin...

Tannelhill and Perkins for Brees and something... (Either a lesser RB or a pick, probably my 2nd (16th overall))

??
Still not enough IMO, but mainly because I don't like Perkins as much as most others.  The fact that you have to add more to Brees doesn't help.

No way I would deal Brees for Tannehill and Perkins.  Perkins isn't guaranteed a starting RB load, and....I can tell you this from experience....Tannehill is maddening to own.

I understand that you may want to sell Brees before he falls off the cliff.  But you need a better offer than that.  Someone in contention must think they need a better QB and would offer more.

No way I would deal Brees for Tannehill and Perkins.  Perkins isn't guaranteed a starting RB load, and....I can tell you this from experience....Tannehill is maddening to own.

I understand that you may want to sell Brees before he falls off the cliff.  But you need a better offer than that.  Someone in contention must think they need a better QB and would offer more.
Agreed.  I'm not very high on Perkins either. I would look to see which contender in your league needs a QB and go from there.  You've got two good starting caliber QBs but any deal involving Brees is gonna have to net you a decent QB and other positional talent or perhaps a late first or second rounder?

I couldn't have said it better than pkroper22 already has!  I have owned Brees since he arrived in New Orleans, so obviously I am very fond of him.  But no player is a forever keeper, and this year I might be wise to move elsewhere (see my post question)?  As a former Tannehill owner in another league, he comes with a requirement of readily available antacids on hand!  And as for Perkins, I expect him to be at best an adequate RB2, so not high on him either.  If you think now is the time to get what you can for Brees, don't settle for just anything! 

I guess I keep him then - I MYSELF am that contender (I finished 1st last season but lost to the 5th place guy in the stooopid week 17 SB)

This is Dynasty of course (I guess I didn't say so, but it was probably kind of obvious??)

... (At this point the other gm recinded the offer anyway, I can;t accept it now even if I wanted to)

I think Tanny/Perkins is very fair for Brees. 

You have to ask yourself how much you like Perkins. I'm a much bigger fan than most of the above posters. I own Perkins and Brees across a few different leagues 

As you can tell by my handle I kinda like the guy! lol

I just got offered Paul Perkins for Brees though (And I might be able to pull a small amount more from him, although that's not for sure as the offer was 1 for 1)

It's a 2 QB league though (We MUST play 2 every week - 8 team league) and we have a 5 roster max

I have Brees, Carr, Winston, Garopollo and Oswieller (Although 98% sure he's getting cut and I will draft a new 5th if I can get someone worth it in the 2nd or 3rd round of our rookie draft)

I could use a good young RB (I have DJ and Ajayi, but I get thin real quick after those 2)

Brees is 38, he could start falling off any time  now (Or he could be top 3 again??) But then I worry about bye weeks and such if I lose him...

I am not at all sure what to think of this one right now... any thoughts???
My first though was "who the in hell is Paul Perkins"?

Yes, I know who he is but... an unproven RB as a trade option for Brees?   Not even close to me, especially with 2 QBs required.  I would ride Brees - maybe have a couple younger QBs in the pipeline but someone would have to make me a real solid offer.

NOW we're talkin...

??
No no no no no no no.  No no no. No. NO. 

Brees is old, but he's still going to be a top 5-6 fantasy QB for at least 2 more years.  Perkins has some promise, but we have to actually see something first before I'm willing to hand over a future HOF QB for him.  Tannehill is a slightly better version of Gabbert in my opinion.  Some good games, some stinkers, and very very rarely will he explode for a 350/4 type week.  Brees will give you that every other week almost.  No way in hell I do that 2 for 1, and DEFINITELY no way I give up a 2nd round pick AND Brees for that.   

In most leagues it's hard to get proper value for QB's due to the abundance of quality QB's out there.  However, in a 2 QB league this now becomes a huge value add and isn't something I would give away.  I see these offers as basically giving him away.

I would suggest holding him and seeing how the season is coming along.  If you fall out of contention you will be able to fetch a lot more than Perkins mid-season from a contender that needs a QB upgrade. 

Users who are viewing this thread