What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daulton Family Vacation - NoCal to SoCal (1 Viewer)

James Daulton

Footballguy
The family has spoken and this is the verdict.  Daughter really wants to see LA and all the entertainment crap.  Now there's a ton of info online about routes, Rt 1 etc, but do you savy FBGs know of any "must sees" that may not make others list.  Off the top of my head I'd like to see San Fran, a redwood forest, go to the top of a big-### mountain, see the beaches of Santa Monica and Barbara, that kind of thing.

Oh, and we'll be traveling for at least a week the first week of August. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a quarter mile stretch of Highway 1 near Big Sure is still buried under a gazillion tons of dirt from the spring landslide. You're probably going to have to detour inland to head south. 
BUT, that means you can swing by Tanner's house and take a picture while standing on his lawn.

You can knock of the Golden Gate Bridge and the Redwood forest in one half day by going to Muir Woods just North of the bridge.  

I think a quarter mile stretch of Highway 1 near Big Sure is still buried under a gazillion tons of dirt from the spring landslide. You're probably going to have to detour inland to head south. 
BUT, that means you can swing by Tanner's house and take a picture while standing on his lawn.
Who the hell is Tanner?

The family has spoken and this is the verdict.  Daughter really wants to see LA and all the entertainment crap.  Now there's a ton of info online about routes, Rt 1 etc, but do you savy FBGs know of any "must sees" that may not make others list.  Off the top of my head I'd like to see San Fran, a redwood forest, go to the top of a big-### mountain, see the beaches of Santa Monica and Barbara, that kind of thing.

Did a similar trip last summer in the opposite direction.  

For a redwood forest a little less travelled by... Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park near Santa Cruz.  Smaller than Muir Woods but fewer people around.

In San Fran... if you have Star Wars fans in tow, the Lucasfilm headquarters are in an unmarked building in The Presidio.  If you pull up the the security guard and tell them you're a big Star Wars fan and want to take a few photos, they will let you park and peruse the lobby.  There's a fountain out front with Yoda at the top of it.  In the lobby, they will let you take pictures of the pieces on display like costumes and awards as long as you don't hassle the receptionist or anyone coming in or out of the building.

If you go the Muir Woods route for Redwoods... also keep going a little farther out to Stinson Beach. Beautiful beach and cliffs, not too busy.

I thought the 17 Mile Drive delivered on outstanding views and Carmel-By-The-Sea had a ton of charm.  Could see how youngish kids would be bored by it, though.  

If you want to do a real studio backlot tour... skip Universal Studios and do the Warner Bros Studio Tour instead.  At WB they break visitors up into small groups of 10-15 and you get carted around by people who work at the studios.  Your guide will customize your visit based on the group's preferences: we had some Gilmore Girls fans onboard, so when we toured the Anytown USA set, the emphasis was on how they transformed it into Stars Hollow CT, but also talked about other things filmed there.  IMO a much more intimate and hands-on experience than Universal.

Beaches and coast... really liked Heisler Park in/near Laguna Beach.  Pretty gardens and park or your way down to a great beach.  Huntington Beach is interesting as it seems to go on forever and you can see out into the ocean pretty far.  Really enjoyed sunset there and watching the surfers.  

Also dig Oceanside and Carlsbad, a couple of beach towns between LA and San Diego.  But if the road trip isn't extending all the way to San Diego, you can skip those.

Take your time down Rt 1 (even if you make it a 2 day drive).  Winchester Mystery House, Morrow Bay, Santa Barbara...

Take your time down Rt 1 (even if you make it a 2 day drive).  Winchester Mystery House, Morrow Bay, Santa Barbara...
fwiw... and nitpicky... only one of those is on Rt1.

anybody know where that slide is that has closed 1? ideally he can drive down and see some good stuff (big sur my favorite along there) and then cut in to avoid it

anybody know where that slide is that has closed 1? ideally he can drive down and see some good stuff (big sur my favorite along there) and then cut in to avoid it
Let's go Cali boys, JD needs some answers so the wife continues to think I know all.

Also, how about some nice places to stay on the way?  I was thinking to fly into San Fran, overnight and explore, then head out.  That's where I can see my redwoods, yes?

As for hotels, I don't mind spending decent coin on a nice hotel (but keep it say under $700 per night, I ain't no Otis).

I was liking the responses at first, but the last few have me kind of shuked.
Golden Gate Bridge, lunch in Sausalito, then whatever route floppho approves of to see the redwoods on the way to Muir Beach is one of the best touring days a fam can have in the 48

Golden Gate Bridge, lunch in Sausalito, then whatever route floppho approves of to see the redwoods on the way to Muir Beach is one of the best touring days a fam can have in the 48
When people are saying the GGB, are they talking about just driving over it or biking or what?  Also I thought Floppo was on the East Coast.  Plus he's an architect and there's a rumor going around that most architects are #####.

arent 2 of them? 

Damn why did I think the Winchester house was?   :wall:

When people are saying the GGB, are they talking about just driving over it or biking or what?  Also I thought Floppo was on the East Coast.  Plus he's an architect and there's a rumor going around that most architects are #####.
he's from Marin. Muir Woods Road, make sure to stop @ visitors center and walk thru the redwoods

I was liking the responses at first, but the last few have me kind of shuked.
Sounds like you'll want to visit Muir Woods but stop by the visitor's center and ask for El Floppo's hairy friend Russ.  Then on your way back, stop at the four corners club at 2 am.  

Let's go Cali boys, JD needs some answers so the wife continues to think I know all.

Also, how about some nice places to stay on the way?  I was thinking to fly into San Fran, overnight and explore, then head out.  That's where I can see my redwoods, yes?

As for hotels, I don't mind spending decent coin on a nice hotel (but keep it say under $700 per night, I ain't no Otis).
the GG bridge, sausalito and muir woods is just north of SF (GG connects SF to saus). that can all be done in an easy day. if you're adventurous, drive past stinson beach on rt 1 and do your best to find the left turn into bolinas. 

napa is an hourish north of that. wine, mudbaths, spas, etc. full. long day to go up and back. 

just looked up the slide which is right below big sur... plus it looks like a bridge is out north of big sur. not sure how you'd get to see the best part of hwy 1 given this. so be sure to spend a few days in bakersfield instead.

the GG bridge, sausalito and muir woods is just north of SF (GG connects SF to saus). that can all be done in an easy day. if you're adventurous, drive past stinson beach on rt 1 and do your best to find the left turn into bolinas. 

napa is an hourish north of that. wine, mudbaths, spas, etc. full. long day to go up and back. 

just looked up the slide which is right below big sur... plus it looks like a bridge is out north of big sur. not sure how you'd get to see the best part of hwy 1 given this. so be sure to spend a few days in bakersfield instead.
Sounds like there'll be plenty of time for a Floppo cornhole!

sorry gb- I grew up in sausalito... but have lived in NYC for long time.

but my brother lives right off that road wikkid linked.
DAMN IT TO HELL!!!!  FIRST RT 1 ALL MUDSLIDED AND NOW NO FLOPPO!!

but seriously the highway will still be worth driving down, yes?

DAMN IT TO HELL!!!!  FIRST RT 1 ALL MUDSLIDED AND NOW NO FLOPPO!!

but seriously the highway will still be worth driving down, yes?
:shrug:  

tbh- the best part is below carmel... and there's no way of cutting in below there (that I know of). it would be an out and back trip on roadway uno.

There is a small park just north of the GGB, you drive over and look south (Golden Gate Vista Point). Also check out this site (GoldenGateBridge.org)

wait... wha? is that the gas station on bridgeway and johnson, or the one on bridgeway by MLK school (north end of town)?
North end, the only one in town.  The station on Bridgeway/Johnson is no longer a Shell and I don't think it has been since 1999-2000ish.

Plenty of touristy stuff in SF -- cable cars, Fishermen's Wharf, Exploratorium, Pier 39, see a show, Giants baseball game.

Drive over Golden Gate Bridge to Muir Woods.

I'd head down Hwy 1 from SF past Pacifica and Half Moon Bay and stop in Santa Cruz.  Go to the Boardwalk.  Also, there is Big Basin (trees), ride the Roaring Camp train (www.roaringcamp.com) through big trees.  Henry Cowell Redwoods which someone already mentioned is close also.

You can then go down to Monterey/Carmel.  Point Lobos is very cool -- on the ocean with rocky cliffs and hiking and big waves crashing.

At this point the landslide on Hwy 1 screws you so I'd take Hwy 68 to Hwy 101 and then head south LA.

You can stay in LA and do the Hollywood thing.  If you like music you can go to the Hollywood Bowl -- very cool place to see a concert (if you go, picnic/drink before hand in the parking lot)

Santa Monica has a pier with rides.   You can stay here in Huntington Beach in one of the hotels right on PCH facing the beach.  You can rent bikes or take a surf lesson or bonfire at the beach -- lots to do.

Not an exhaustive list but hopefully something you might find helpful

I'm not reading this whole thread, so if this has been mentioned, I apologize.

Make sure you tour Alcatraz.  I spent a week in San Francisco for a conference.  I saw all of the landmarks and all of the tourist stuff.  Alcatraz was by far the best.  The aura of the place is amazing.  So cool.

I'm not reading this whole thread, so if this has been mentioned, I apologize.

Make sure you tour Alcatraz.  I spent a week in San Francisco for a conference.  I saw all of the landmarks and all of the tourist stuff.  Alcatraz was by far the best.  The aura of the place is amazing.  So cool.
Ditto on this.  Sounds kind of lame but it was very cool.

Ditto on this.  Sounds kind of lame but it was very cool.
Exactly what I thought.  My expectation was "another thing to see to say that I saw it".  It was much better than that, though.

And if you find yourself with some time, visit the Haight-Ashbury area.  A lot of character there.

The Alcatraz tour is excellent.  And has outstanding views of San Francisco from the rock.  But it is the one touristy thing in San Fran that needs to be booked in advance.  The tours do fill up. 

We did a day bus tour in SF where we hit several landmarks during the day and included a late afternoon Alcatraz tour.  It was nice not having to drive (and park) all over the city.

There's a really cool interactive science museum on one of the piers closer to the Bay Bridge side.  Name escapes me but someone here will have it.  Pier 39 was fun, and there's sea lion hangout that might be populated by August (they go down the coast to breed earlier in the summer - we saw them in La Jolla in June).

At Fisherman's Wharf... if you played old acrade and pinball games, pop in on Musee Mechanique, a museum/acrade of amusement machines going back 100 years.  A lot of them are still playable.  

gb James... not sure how old the kids are, but here's a thread about doing stuff with kids out there. no homer.

Another vote for Alcatraz.  It's awesome.

And if you don't say "WELCOME TO THE RRROCK" in a Sean Connery accent upon landing, there's something wrong with you :D

GL finding a good hotel deal in SF.  We stayed in the financial district, which was close enough to the bay to walk to stuff at the piers, but it was a business-y hotel for business travelers.  

Also, when booking a hotel, check the parking fees.  Some SF hotels will charge $50-75 a night to keep a car on the premises, which will be in the small print and not posted with the room rate.  

One other thing about Alcatraz.  We took the very last ferry on the way back (once you get on the island you can stay as long as you like) and had the place basically to ourselves the last 15 minutes or so.  Wandering the cell blocks with no one else there was pretty darn cool.

Are there good redwood forests near or south of San Fran? When we drove down from Oregon, the redwood forest just over the border was so surreal. Just an amazing drive. I don't remember Muir Woods having as huge trees though. I don't know if I'll ever get to northern California again to experience that but plan on going south of SF some day.

All we have left to drive is Big Sur to Santa Barbara and we will have driven the whole coast from Vancouver to Tijauana. Well, we did stay more inland in Oregon.  Beautiful drives! 

Users who are viewing this thread