Bri

Titans IDPs

119 posts in this topic

Bri, how do you see Byard's tackle opportunities going forward? Will they stay about the same...be minimized with the return of Cyprien and Wallace? I've loved having him as a part of my squad this year (13th highest scoring DB in my league), but something about him is giving me an uneasy feeling. 

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Bri, how do you see Byard's tackle opportunities going forward? Will they stay about the same...be minimized with the return of Cyprien and Wallace? I've loved having him as a part of my squad this year (13th highest scoring DB in my league), but something about him is giving me an uneasy feeling. 

I think they will. Many on the Titans staff rave every single time they can about Byard.

If Morgan sits, look for Orakpo to be opposite Casey's side. The Titans played Casey on the right(LT) side a lot this year and Orakpo has had a difficult time getting in and around the triple teams on Casey. Casey played a bunch on his usual left side.

Erik Walden should fill in for Morgan. He hasn't been very good in coverage and last week was the first week I saw him genuinely play OLB. I'd look for Jayon Brown to play some there. Brown did replace Orakpo in preseason. Carraway is an obvious call up but they're doing something dopey with Dodd. It appears as "he's gonna produce or else" and yet they don't play him. 

I was told some things-

Morgan pulled up "lame" during practice Friday when he tried to practice. It's mostly a walk-through so that's a pretty bad sign.

Dodd had a bad week of practice. That is "allowed" to happen, but they were already apprehensive of him filling in for Morgan. IDK why the Titans discuss filling in for Morgan like two players will start in one spot (Walden and Dodd) but they have done that all week. Walden is the fill in.

If Morgan out and Dodd inactive, that is a seriously bad sign for Dodd fans

Wallace was the whisper talk of the week. If he were healthy he would have replaced Williamson during bad games and would be filling in for Morgan. Reporters have barely seen him since he got injured because he's been in anti-gravity tanks during practices. He was seen the other day and quoted as saying he hasn't missed a meeting and is the early bird beating the defensive staff into work everyday. He figures that if he can't play, he can be the most prepared to contribute during meetings. (As I've said before, he's a good egg the staff loves)

FWIW McCourty is telling Titans he's sad he won't get to play against them. He's listed as GTD and this could be misdirection but....

Now reporters are talking of Wallace as was Mularkey. He is extremely likely (if not certain) to come off IR soon. 

Cyp will return after the bye.

Otherwise, there's not much IDP news. The Titans coaches have answered most questions with "we're doing a full evaluation of our team and will make changes accordingly." Another time Mularkey said it was being treated like making the 53. Theoretically, players could get cut but it's not August and contracts are locked in, so it's more like some players could be inactive or demoted to the PS.

Brice McCain and Sylvester Williams are the only ones I see "threatened" here. McCain has been awful and Williams just gets pushed around as he did in preseason. The 4-3 look is working. Jones and Klug are doing just fine next to Casey. Austin Johnson is flopping in a big way.  I'm blaming the DL coach for some.

The 4-3 last week put Morgan at his old position and he was rejuvenated. He had two sacks and a slew of pressures and his hands were in the dirt for a good amount of the second half. Walden played OLB behind him, so they essentially flip-flopped. 

Dodd is a big holdup here. They need to put him on the PS and let what happens happens. At this point, it is not a sure thing that someone picks him up. 

no changes after the bye, all talk I guess.

Dodd played and did alright. He only bit into Walden's time on the field.

Cyprien was asked to play far more than expected and really bumped Jayon Brown down a lot of snaps. Byard and Brown took turns covering the TE.

Wallace should return next week. Lebeau said, "He's ready and chomping at the bit" to a reporter. I don't know how long to get into football shape, adjust, etc. but he was to be a key cog this year. 

McCain barely played. I think 9 snaps. 

Klug did well at end this week.  It's also about a year since his achilles injury so this would be the time he feels best also.

With Morgan lining up on the LOS at times, they're pushing Austin Johnson off the radar. 

Daquan Jones is doing OK at NT. He's got enough fight in him to "make it work" as a fill-in. Sylvester Williams barely plays and is projected to have made about a million per tackle in 2017...big bust. 

If there is some semblance of decent work put in by the other DE, then Casey does well. 

1 person likes this

It appears Avery Williamson is being phased out, my money is on Jayron Brown in Dynasty leagues, but his fantasy production going forward is questionable, there just is no evidence to support any projections right now.

Outside of the Safeties the Titan IDPs are hard to figure out or handicap.

Edited by JAM

Alot of people seem to think this too. It's not like he's going to be expensive. Can't they have good backups? I'd like to see him battle someone in camp. Woodyard is not young. Brown still has issues stopping the run.

I'd rather they draft a 4-3 MLB type- someone that's used to being alone in the middle. 

I think they'll continue to alternate ILBs until they admit there's a four year issue with nose tackles and their importance. 

Zach Brown mouthed off and wasn't re-signed because JRob and Mularkey were bringing in "good boys" and all that. He is regularly tops in the NFL in tackles. Could he get their quicker? Stuff RBs more? Probably but he was benched and not signed like he was meh. I like coaches using the bench to "adjust attitudes." They could have seen the following year if he was "fixed."

Many fans still bring up Dobbs, Barnett, and Cunningham. It's not like Tennessee colleges are powerhouses and regularly put players onto NFL teams that go into the HOF. This was a unique offseason where the local guys really matched up well with the Titans needs. Reeves Maybin was like Top 10, 7-10?, rated ILB. Jon Robinson moved up to select Taywan Taylor by trading a 3rd and 4th, then said he was bored. Maybin went in the fourth. Taylor was not expected to be an issue to trade up for. Taylor is considered local from WKY but many really thought an all local draft was possible then a draft loaded with local guys. It's still talked about. Cassel and Weeden haven't made them forget Dobbs, Daquan hasn't made them move on from Barnett etc.

Those positions are still areas of need and the early draft folks have them filling those very positions. It'll be interesting to see how the fanbase reacts.

It's not like they had to or anything but Mariota and Murray are stinkin' and fans like who they like. Titans attendance was horrible for the last game. They've been losing for a long time and finally seem destined for the playoffs, yet the fans aren't showing up. When ya add in that they added roughly a million former Rams fans when the Rams moved, fans were "rabid" after the Preds, and it's all so curious. 

Back to IDP- no one knows what the deal is with Antwaun Woods. It's like he kicked Mularkey's dog. He was starting. The D was significantly better with him in there. A 3-4 funneling up the middle...they can't have a pushover NT. Avery, Casey, and Johnson all looked real good in preseason- Johnson was a nice sleeper candidate even. They need that big nose that will garner attention so the rest can "operate."

Ryan cleared protocol and practiced a couple times.

Derrick Morgan is out, Walden to start

Does anyone happen to have the scoop on Adoree' Jackson? He was an extremely consistent scorer for me most of the season. He's cratered the past two weeks. Have teams stopped throwing at him? Bad matchups? Random low scores? Any insight would be deeply appreciated! =)

21 hours ago, Bri said:

Ryan cleared protocol and practiced a couple times.

Derrick Morgan is out, Walden to start

I grabbed caraway in a couple deep dynos since he was promoted

5 hours ago, spliffy said:

Does anyone happen to have the scoop on Adoree' Jackson? He was an extremely consistent scorer for me most of the season. He's cratered the past two weeks. Have teams stopped throwing at him? Bad matchups? Random low scores? Any insight would be deeply appreciated! =)

I have a little insight. I’m speaking mfl only with return yards so if that’s not you some won’t apply -

besides the  One huge game where he followed Antonio Brown all over the field and tackled him after he caught pass after pass, he’s really been pretty average in the tackle department.

Last week he last four points for losing a fumble.  He got no kick off opportunities because not just do the Texans not score a ton but Fairbairn kicks every kick off out of the stadium.

The week before that he wasn’t going to get very many kick off chances because the cold stuff put up a lot of points and it looks like he pretty much had a fair catch all the punts.

I would have thought he would’ve had a lot better game against DeAndre Hopkins, but the fact that he didn’t makes me not want to trust him moving forward and less you’re playing in leaks that give points for kick off and punt returns and even then you’ll want to do your research on which kickers kick it out of the end zone every time and which ones don’t, for instants Fairbairn get a touchback pretty much every time, before he got hurt Novak never gets a touchback etc. 

He’s most likely not going to follow fits into the slot so I don’t know that he’s going to do much this weekend unless he gets a sack or an interception and I’m not crazy about his other matchups either. 

What it really comes down to is he’s very hard to sit because of his potential but he’s no guarantee to put up a bunch of points either. 

He can contribute in so many ways, one week he had 30 rushing yards on three attempts, he returns kicks, he returns ponds, he plays every defense of down. Because of all of those things he’s going to play every week but if the team they play can’t score points to where he will receive kick off‘s or the team has a kicker they can kick it out of the end zone for a punter that can angle punt or put it high enough in the air to force a fair catch,  then he just becomes a cornerback and we all know it’s the hardest position to gas on a guy could have a great game and have two tackles or he could have a horrible game and have 10 tackles.

I spoke my text so read at your own risk, you might need some vodka before hand 

39 minutes ago, Robar said:

I grabbed caraway in a couple deep dynos since he was promoted

I heart Carraway. He is so obviously a great listener that does what the coaches say. He grew so much from game 1 to 4 in preseason and even the announcers pointed it out sometimes. Lebeau was raving about him by week 3. He is everything you'd want in a DE learning to play OLB. He was the only Titan with zero missed tackles this summer which some debate but nonetheless...kudos to him. Give Carraway a quarter or so to look uncomfy then he'll probably be alright

He is everything Dudd isn't.

Wallace stopped practicing and isn't well. He was to return from IR. I've been dying to see him all year. He was excellent in preseason. He got a week off for veteran's rest and that was such a big deal. As the week went on, his back got tight and sore and it was announced he had a back injury. In week one or two, it downgraded so bad he had to have surgery. A guy that could truly play all four LB spots and had even been the roamer this summer....a real bummer.

4 hours ago, Robar said:

I have a little insight. I’m speaking mfl only with return yards so if that’s not you some won’t apply -

Thank you very much! It makes a lot of sense and will help me make my roster decisions. =)

Ryan has been mentioned as playing SS (some, part time) a few times. Butler mentioned it too. It sounds like if two WRs, then Ryan goes to SS and Cyprien sits while Adoree and Butler stay outside. It could also be the 3 safety look the Titans used in 2015 and 2016. It's beyond early to try and make sense of it, but ya might make a mental note that Ryan could be in line for more tackles in 2018. 

Titans DC and Vrabel are all about players playing different positions but as of now it sounds like coach speak and this is how we get you to learn our new system. 

On 8/15/2017 at 8:21 AM, Bri said:

Mularkey is always making (wha?) moves during camp. He benched Antwaun Woods to give Sylvester a chance against the Panthers this week. That makes no sense after praising him last week, saying he earned it, AND letting Woods play minimal like starters do. I don't like gifting positions or opportunity like that. Make Sylvester earn the spot from Antwaun, don't give him jack. I'm not concerned with this change. Woods and Brown are absolute beasts. Sylvester's play is nothing like them.

Two camps where Woods outperformed everyone at NT, two years on the PS. Last year he even started and was the starter on the team's official PR depth chart three weeks of the four week preseason. 

I have absolutely no idea what's up with this guy.

Klug and Williams were cut. He is their only NT and he just got a 400k per year raise and Jurrell Casey named him as the team leader of the weightlifting workout sessions.

Absolutely nothing has ever made sense with Antwaun. If you said he kicks Mularkey's dog at the end of camp each year, then maybe it makes sense. It's unreal how his brief career has gone

On 3/18/2018 at 6:13 AM, Bri said:

Ryan has been mentioned as playing SS (some, part time) a few times. Butler mentioned it too. It sounds like if two WRs, then Ryan goes to SS and Cyprien sits while Adoree and Butler stay outside. It could also be the 3 safety look the Titans used in 2015 and 2016. It's beyond early to try and make sense of it, but ya might make a mental note that Ryan could be in line for more tackles in 2018. 

Titans DC and Vrabel are all about players playing different positions but as of now it sounds like coach speak and this is how we get you to learn our new system. 

Does Ryan have the chops to play SS though?  This is a thumper spot, he doesn't strike me as that kind of player.  Do the Titans (perhaps via NEP/Vrabel) play it differently?

Posted (edited)

49 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

Does Ryan have the chops to play SS though?  This is a thumper spot, he doesn't strike me as that kind of player.  Do the Titans (perhaps via NEP/Vrabel) play it differently?

I think like you. Malcolm Butler said Ryan played SS some in NE and got to the QB. He only has 2.5 sacks so he could mean mentally "got to the QB." Lebeau's 3 safety look afforded the two safeties freedom while Rashad Johnson was deep. Byard and Stafford did a lot of talking and pointing presnap. Stafford was a safety that played the dime backer spot. 

I don't know, I figure (as is the case sometimes) I can tell the IDP folks what I do know and y'all can make a better guess from there

Edited by Bri

I wouldn't ever mistake Ryan for a thumper, but he certainly wasn't a shy, corner-esque tackler. Whether or not he can work through the beef near the LOS is probably the question. I'd wager he can read, diagnose, and react to the play then close and make a tackle but it's different from the second level than it is from an in-the-box set to start a play. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well in that role, though. 

1 person likes this

Titans talked about going 3 safeties but didn't draft one- even if they do, in the fifth or sixth, it's gonna be hmmmm. 

Denzel Johnson (mentioned previously) was a player in college. I don't know why he fell to be UDFA. He had a good summer last year. Him? Ryan? I'm not sure now but I bet it is far more rare than they were thinking. In 2015 and 16 they played an awful lot of 3 safety sets. I think 55%.

Jayon Brown was hit in the knees by this draft. You IDP folks gotta see what his trade value is and think on him. 

No WR probably means Adoree gets some time there.

Johnson, Carraway, and Woods got the most props from this draft. It's interesting because they all performed well and Vrabel was discussing how he watched all the practices and offseason tapes from last year.

Woods was starting NT for minicamp.

Carraway has been mentioned in pressers. He too was a player in college that they got curiously late. He's a great student so it fits that he would catch Vrabel's attention during the learning period. 

Vrabel is not doing Right and Left outside linebacker. The offense and plan for matchups will dictate who goes on which side. 

Vrabel spent much of the week with the LBs and they all played every spot in this lesson minicamp. There's probably nothing to that other than know what your teammates do. Wallace was complimented but he played all four in the NFL so that sort of makes sense.

He was displeased with the DEs being out of position. He didn't say other than Casey but the way Lewan took credit for this, it probably was. He seems to think he found a major flaw in how they line up and attack even in just a walk through type practice. I thought this meant they were going to draft a DE but was wrong. 

Did not like the LBs slow reactions at first but they adjusted well. Without hitting and even the most mild of practices, he wants everyone full speed when the time comes and then pull up to show you did things right. He said there's no way Lebeau tolerated that and they snapped right to it. I guess just first practice laziness. 

The offense was basic and the passing was quick. The defenders didn't seem to like the quick passes in this no contact scenario.

Malcolm Butler raved about Derrick Henry's size and quickness. He was discussing how teams have to tackle him properly (they didn't, just discussion) and put on a good lesson. If ya got kids, you might look for that video. When he says "wrapping up but not going through" I'd swear that's a BB phrase.

1 person likes this

Some developments recently. 

Titans drafted Dane Cruikshank (Safety, corner also but really a safety deep cover guy)

The Titans cut Denzel Johnson when they signed Kendrick Lewis. Their announcement said they needed to cut Denzel due to roster requirements. 

There only other depth is a special athlete meh player, a special teams guy that doesn't play D, and Kalan Reed who converted from CB and is really a pretty clear depth guy, end of bench guy. 

Denzel has posted that he is not moving anywhere. Too much to read into that. Could join another team but stay in current house, re-sign with Titans...idk. It is very curious considering the Titans were planning on him stepping up this year.

(Prior 3 safety discussions) That still will happen and the Titans are not done with moves at safety.

UFA list is essentially Vaccarro and old 30ish year old guys

Because that didn't cause enough confusion- Jayon Brown could play some safety this year. On the radio, Vrabel said "We did not draft two linebackers to get Jayon off the field, trust me on that." Hosts suggested moving to safety and he said we'll go over things when the time is right. He didn't say no or yes.

Brown has odd speed. He's very fast for a LB (if not 40 then game speed) and a smidge slow for a safety. He's excellent at staying with the man he's covering but he doesn't always have his body in the right position to make a play. He's not turned right or seeing the ball, but he did hang with some of the better TEs in the NFL last year. In college and rookie year, the coaches tried to make him more tough-nosed but he can't sincerely do the ILB role, shed blockers, and wrap up. Remember this is the guy that replaced Myles Jack in college and people said was almost as athletic. 

Safety is still fleshing itself out. There seems to be some determination to go with three but yet I'm not sure they'll have the "horses" to do so unless Brown converts.

TItans claimed an OLB/DE Gamil President from the Texans. 4-3 DE maybe. He's light and he's no 3-4 DE. Word is only three teams put in waivers for him, but apparently Titans (pick 25) were first in the order so the other two must have been top NFL teams last year. 

Shariff Finch is a DE from Temple that many teams wanted as a UDFA. The Titans threw the most money at him and landed him though. He had an injury that wrecked his season and any draft hopes. Draft scout has him as the 23rd ranked DE. He's 6-4 250 and likely to play OLB as...again....he's too light. He's got great intangibles. Won some academic awards, gym rat, never wanted to come out of games, coach challenged him to play ST and he blocked more kicks or punts than anyone. Played every snap except offense or...something like that.

Lewis was a safety with the Ravens under new DC Dean Pees. He was below average to average. He wasn't requested or recruited or whatever. He asked for a chance and worked out with the Titans during the prior minicamp. He did well enough to earn a contract to get him to camp. He is not viewed as the third safety starter but depth.

Darius Jennings played offense and defense during minicamp and is still one of the most well-rounded players in the NFL. He's been a PS guy for several teams. He plays S, CB, WR, and RB and is good on ST. The latter is where he usually holds value toward a potential roster spot. Since Vrabel has constantly mentioned players have to be able to play more than one position, he was asked about Darius on the radio and said he wished he could have many Darius-es. He was asked about a comparison to the Patriots S/WR Slater and said he couldn't discuss other teams players. Dopey Q, he's not THAT good. He just seems to be a great guy for camp and practices.

Jeremy Boykins is the special athlete I mentioned earlier. He has Vrabel's attention. He and his twin brother (Eagles DB) did something of a tour working out with different trainers and former NFL players this spring. He showed up ready to rock. Vrabel said he let him run with the ones then corrected himself and said no he earned the chance to run with the ones.

The Titans had a walk through where there was running and no contact. The new D and new O were installed and it was about being in the right spot and reacting in the right way. Don't read into too much, just kudos for a nice day in shorts. There's rookie camp this weekend. As I understand it, the PS players from last year that didn't get into games are allowed to participate. There are an absolute ton of DEs expected.  These are UDFAs unsigned looking for a chance. My friends have told me anywhere from 15-25 DEs. The Titans had a few DEs in camp last year that did well in preseason and were cut. I haven't been able to confirm if they returned.

"My boy" Woods- Vrabel said he has no idea why the prior regime didn't play him more. Knows for a fact the Texans discussed him and how to go at he and Casey. DaQuan and Austin he called pieces then said Bennie Logan is a piece too. No idea what that means but I think they're depth. That would mean he still doesn't think they have their starting DE opposite Casey. The UFA list is mostly oldish 30 year old guys.

Karl Klug is not healthy/ hasn't been himself since a torn achilles two years ago. A team and fan favorite that was released. Vrabel has not only met him but told him he's welcome at the facility any time. He is "this close" to retiring but can't hang em up just yet. I would expect he retires or he's added just before camp because they just can't find the DL depth they want. 

2 people like this

Rashaan "looks like a ferrari out there" amidst the others in rookie minicamp.

Not a peep on Landry

I'm hanging on to Jayon on my taxi squad for now, see if he can beat out Woodyard.  I figure by this time next year, we'll know for sure.  

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, massraider said:

I'm hanging on to Jayon on my taxi squad for now, see if he can beat out Woodyard.  I figure by this time next year, we'll know for sure.  

He won't do that, well not likely. Years of college coaches and then Spanos and Lebeau trying, he's just not the hard-nosed type. There was an interview with him and he discussed his speed and hoping to get more time at OLB blitzing. He and Logan Ryan have been talked about in the third safety role. Cosell mentioned his speed to play dime backer and cover the TE will always have him potentially on the field. He has played S in high school and college. As Butler pointed out, Ryan played S in NE some.

Aaron Wallace was to be a key guy last year. We'll have to see how Vrabel responds to him. He ought to like a guy that can play all four. He's also vying for time.

DeLuca....he is something in highlight tapes. Old school ILB, played through a shoulder separation (how in the...is that even possible for a LB) and another time through a torn meniscus. He ate grass at rookie minicamp and explained it as a punishment his peewee coach made him do so ever since it helps keep him focused. 

Nate Palmer started in GB and was just a ST guy in Ten. Last summer he showed up with a wow, losing so much weight and saying he was determined to start. He didn't. This year he showed up and they called him Rocky Balboa. That poor guy is doing everything he can to get noticed but doesn't seem to be elite enough. Still there's something to like there.

Brown's 40 time was not wow, but ten seconds of watching and you know his game speed is way faster. The competition is pretty strong now but the Titans have been adding intelligent young LBers. Every week of camp, the coaches are complimenting a young guy on his intelligence and Brown is one of them. His speed though is special. It should always help him find some time on the field and always save him from being cut. It's so odd that "Myles' Jack's backup" became a phrase but my goodness they can both fly. 

With Sims and Smith former starters, the Titans are deep with good corners that have all started. Sims has gotten better and better even as they added three CBs. Smith took to Lebeau and was a real pleasant surprise last year. I hope the Ohio State guy can continue with him. He looked great in limited spots and wasn't that good in Chicago or wherever he was before. The DL is meh and depth is meh. With Jayon and Wallace playing all four spots in the NFL, with Calloway playing all four plus DE, Morgan a former DE, Orakpo liking being at the LOS, Landry now....the depth really strongly indicates that they can get as creative as they want and have the horses to do it. I would think any creativity gets Brown onto the field at some spot. 

I don't like Orakpo or Morgan in coverage. I didn't much care for Landry covering in the little I saw. Brown has some strong value there. 

Carraway was the perfect student and a true football player. He adjusted beautifully. He's gotta get comfy and just play this year. 

Dodd is bigger again this year and has always looked more comfy as a DE. Switching him to OLB after minimal experience (period) was dopey. Fans might be, but the Titans are not certain that he is done and still think he could be a player. At least 3 times, it's been said he is no longer playing OLB. Vrabel even said he didn't want him stunting at all. Vrabel pointed out he had some issues at the point of attack but got after the QB well. 

You can always think things through and find a spot for Jayon, even if he is not a traditional ILB

Edited by Bri

OTAs have not been all that surprising for defense.

As I mentioned earlier, Ryan is playing safety versus two WR sets-sometimes. A lot of pausing, teaching, and clapping...so he's probably doing it well.

The Titans are using 3 safeties often.

It is not clear if he is a 3rd safety or 2nd when he is in.

Vrabel is unhappy with the discipline and teachability of the starting LBs and thrilled with the backups. For the most part, I think nothing of this, but one friend said "can't teach an old dog new tricks" and that theory makes me hmmm. They do have three of four old LBs. Probably just more attention than they're used to and more detail than they're used to and all will be well in camp. 

UDFA LBs got attention but they are such a long shot to make the team.

After doing well as DE and OLB, Vrabel said "Carraway has my attention, I'll tell you that." He should be "too small" to be a 3-4 NFL DE so this could change during training camp when he can genuinely be pushed around. 

Vrabel said Carraway came in for Morgan and didn't miss a beat so we can probably guess Landry is Orakpo's backup

Woods was cut in an unprofessional manner and the situation was resolved today. I couldn't be more annoyed at this situation. 

Wallace was complimented each day. Unclear where he fits in but it's looking like Vrabel is gonna love him like Lebeau did-fave backup hustler, coach's pet type

3 people like this

Rookie S whose name I can't spell struggled mightily and did not catch on as OTAs moved forward. This has to be a concern. I'd look for them to add someone.

Adoree practiced a bunch of offense. Vrabel continues to say he will not play every snap meaning offense, defense, and special teams. 

Boykins was awesome and terrible so I don't know what to think.

Sims still gets plenty of reps with starters. I think he might be Adoree's rest guy so that Ryan can learn safety.

Bennie has not done well and with Woods cut, this is an issue. Another, look for them to add position is NT.

Vrabel compliments Wallace as having HOF shoulders. What on earth that means idk but maybe you idp folks do.

Vrabel made a comment about seeing veterans do certain things and resting otherwise during preseason. Take preseason with grain of salt and check TC reports giving them more weight.

On 5/25/2018 at 2:16 AM, Bri said:

OTAs have not been all that surprising for defense.

As I mentioned earlier, Ryan is playing safety versus two WR sets-sometimes. A lot of pausing, teaching, and clapping...so he's probably doing it well.

The Titans are using 3 safeties often.

It is not clear if he is a 3rd safety or 2nd when he is in.

Vrabel is unhappy with the discipline and teachability of the starting LBs and thrilled with the backups. For the most part, I think nothing of this, but one friend said "can't teach an old dog new tricks" and that theory makes me hmmm. They do have three of four old LBs. Probably just more attention than they're used to and more detail than they're used to and all will be well in camp. 

UDFA LBs got attention but they are such a long shot to make the team.

After doing well as DE and OLB, Vrabel said "Carraway has my attention, I'll tell you that." He should be "too small" to be a 3-4 NFL DE so this could change during training camp when he can genuinely be pushed around. 

Vrabel said Carraway came in for Morgan and didn't miss a beat so we can probably guess Landry is Orakpo's backup

Woods was cut in an unprofessional manner and the situation was resolved today. I couldn't be more annoyed at this situation. 

Wallace was complimented each day. Unclear where he fits in but it's looking like Vrabel is gonna love him like Lebeau did-fave backup hustler, coach's pet type

What does this mean?

6 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

What does this mean?

I posted in the pool's titans thread. It was ridiculous and one of the owners had to step in

Jayon Brown has received a lot of time with the ones. Woodyard and Wallace are tough. He isn't. I strongly believe that changes when hitting begins. 

He and Ryan as the third safety is looking pretty solid now. Not something to try but they're moving forward with it.

Simms has been fantastic and there's no starting spot for him. I think we'll see more nickel and dime sets than previous.  I think they're finagling how to get the best players on the field while also creating a new system. It still seems fluid which is maybe a bit late but who cares if it's settled by camp.

Antwaun won the starting spot in Dallas in one day. I don't think nose tackles help much in idp but y'all should jump at a new starter. This season's gonna hurt watching him thrive elsewhere.

Really odd to see Woods listed on Roto as NT 1 ..... the Cowboys run a 4-3 with Irvin & Collins as the top 2 DTs. It's like they created a spot to list Woods as a starter but he's not really a starter since they don't technically use a NT, anyway. Still worth keeping an eye on but it seems like a coach speak type move by Dallas. Collins wasn't worth a roster spot and Irvin now has several years worth of injury time so it's entirely possible Woods becomes a viable DT.

On 6/11/2018 at 10:11 AM, Flying Elvis said:

Really odd to see Woods listed on Roto as NT 1 ..... the Cowboys run a 4-3 with Irvin & Collins as the top 2 DTs. It's like they created a spot to list Woods as a starter but he's not really a starter since they don't technically use a NT, anyway. Still worth keeping an eye on but it seems like a coach speak type move by Dallas. Collins wasn't worth a roster spot and Irvin now has several years worth of injury time so it's entirely possible Woods becomes a viable DT.

Dallas radio does not like their DTs really and (it almost doesn't matter which host) the hosts love Woods. 

I have talked to scouts. He flashes big, maybe amongst the top NTs the last few years but his struggles were bad. Teams were looking more for steady play. Too risky to have a NT break down. He was widely expected to be drafted but no one bit. One of the most common conversations amongst scouts is Woods. Great topic for learning and discussion in every way. Many NFL teams are curious how he does with the Cowboys. He played one late season game with the Titans and played very well. He played very well each summer. Did the Titans develop him and fix issues? NT is a weak position in the NFL and many teams only keep one and once the season begins ya can't really find a replacement. It's not a typical NFL position. It's thought of like a big commitment so teams often go safe with steady eddy types rather than impact big play up N down types.

This is no exclusive to Woods. Any name UDFA the scouting departments track and discuss. A name usually has the talent but other issues that scared teams away then of course ya have the drafted guys that had issues ignored. The UDFAs make excellent barometers, training, and discussion for the next draft. They're NOT usually a player a team will re-look at. They decided against, but the discussion is still useful in a scouting world.

As far as Woods, he had to play End to make the team as per Lebeau. He did and played well. Many Titans fans saw him each preseason and had a whole what the experience when he was on the PS. 

1 person likes this

Brown has been playing some homemade position and doing outstanding at it. He was called third safety and then some call him an extra linebacker. I wouldn't try and make sense of it til ya see it in preseason. He has caught the attention of the Titans staff and every reporter, so his play has been wow. You can't ever lose sight of that he has big issues shedding blockers and putting a hard hat on. That was the rub on him on draft day and it was evident as a rookie. The Titans answer seems to be to move him around. Vrabel and Co have not appeared to make him a traditional ILB. Brown will also probably always look great til they start hitting in camp. 

Rashaan is the real deal. Going on words (oh so risky oh so can't hang your hat on it) I would guess he's the only LB in the middle while Brown roams. I can't stress enough that ya gotta see it to understand and truly digest. I haven't yet.

Wallace has also won the hearts of the staff. Vrabel recently complimented (former coach) Spanos on his training of the young LBs. He coached Brown and Wallace at UCLA but Vrabel included Carraway in his quote too. Someone asked if Lebeau had anything to do with the LBs development and Vrabel said he knows a thing or two about that but the Q really didn't land. It was more of a duh reaction to the Q. Anyway...Vrabel loves the young LBs and the rookie LBs (including UDFAs) so the Titans are probably going to drop some common depth. Nate Palmer is probably gone. I'm not super confident in Compton making this team nevermind starting. All of the young guys can play ST and more than one position so if he's a backup, I am hmmm about him making the team. Also with this it's way too early, I just really wanted to point out the excellent youth and that they seem like they're going to impact the roster makeup.  

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Sims is another player that I've confirmed played safety this spring. He played free safety and was complimented for being long. This could allow Byard some freedom as Cyprien isn't very good at deep coverage. 

Might be nothing!

In 2017, the Titans played every backup DB at CB and S and forced them to learn both. During preseason, they switched them between plays and it was pretty cool. During the season, they used this in one game. That's it. 

In 2016, Rashad Johnson was the outfielder and Byard had freedom to roam more. He was an All-Pro in 2017 as a free safety, so he clearly did that better, but maybe they want an option here?

I'm not hearing good things about the rookie safety. More like he has a lot of learning to do. They also might be trying to manufacture a player here with Sims.

Regardless, safety seems plenty odd heading into camp 

Edited by Bri

Kevin Dodd has been razzed and teased enough that he was kind of firey on the radio. This is not his normal character. He's probably cut soon but maybe just maybe there's a fire lit under him

On 6/24/2018 at 8:14 AM, Bri said:

Dallas radio does not like their DTs really and (it almost doesn't matter which host) the hosts love Woods. 

I have talked to scouts. He flashes big, maybe amongst the top NTs the last few years but his struggles were bad. Teams were looking more for steady play. Too risky to have a NT break down. He was widely expected to be drafted but no one bit. One of the most common conversations amongst scouts is Woods. Great topic for learning and discussion in every way. Many NFL teams are curious how he does with the Cowboys. He played one late season game with the Titans and played very well. He played very well each summer. Did the Titans develop him and fix issues? NT is a weak position in the NFL and many teams only keep one and once the season begins ya can't really find a replacement. It's not a typical NFL position. It's thought of like a big commitment so teams often go safe with steady eddy types rather than impact big play up N down types.

This is no exclusive to Woods. Any name UDFA the scouting departments track and discuss. A name usually has the talent but other issues that scared teams away then of course ya have the drafted guys that had issues ignored. The UDFAs make excellent barometers, training, and discussion for the next draft. They're NOT usually a player a team will re-look at. They decided against, but the discussion is still useful in a scouting world.

As far as Woods, he had to play End to make the team as per Lebeau. He did and played well. Many Titans fans saw him each preseason and had a whole what the experience when he was on the PS. 

Thanks, I certainly wouldn't ever have known what local radio thinks of him in Dallas. 

The bigger take for me on this, now, is that Irving is facing yet another 4 game ban. Woods is looking like an attractive stash to start the season since he could very well be starting as a DT until (maybe even after?) Irving returns from suspension. 

I wasn't trying to correct you, sorry If that came across wrong. I think it needs to be said when their seems to be a bias. The newspaper writers don't necessarily agree and sometimes that's odd. Now I try to point out things Inotice and then when camp is live reports are better and no longer guesses

I think-as of now- Landry will be more of a wait for next year type player and sub as a rookie whereas Rashan is going to probably be pretty special for you IDP folks. 

The talk of Derrick Morgan playing DE has died down some and with Wallace showing well yet again and Brown's outstanding speed and coverage for a backer, I think they're going to have to find spots to put Landry in whereas Rashan is just simply starting and gonna play as much as possible.

The last two (or more) camps both Morgan and Orakpo have participated sparingly like veterans do. I wanted to forewarn people that things might look like Landry is more than he is. Unless Vrabel or Pees says so, don't believe reports or tweets or whatnot. Orakpo isn't exactly some chump.

Part time as a rookie unless a Titans staff member says differently

1 person likes this