What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Equifax hack exposes personal info of 143 million people (1 Viewer)

Crazy. Equifax bought an ID theft protection company between discovering the breech and announcing it. So they got hacked, and then pretty much did everything in their power to make money off of compromising people's data.

https://investor.equifax.com/news-and-events/news/2017/08-11-2017-005951319
And that's why I froze my file access at all 4 bureaus. I want total control over when my file is shared with creditors. The Equifax breach proved these firms are not to be trusted.

Bump for this...

Also, will Equifax contact you if you've been affected?
Equifax said they will send a "direct mail notice" to people whose credit card or dispute data was accessed. I've so far done fraud alerts, but not freezes. I also just sent for a report from Chex Systems that can show whether unauthorized checking or savings accounts have been opened. 

Here is how to do that (Late to the thread' sorry if it's been covered)
https://www.chexsystems.com/web/chexsystems/consumerdebit/otherpage/FACTAFreeReport/!ut/p/z1/lZDLDoJADEW_hi2tYMaJuxEUHwhEQ8TZGDTjSAKMAZTfF2Rlgq_u2pyTthc4RMDz-J7IuEpUHqdNv-fkQAK6cAyKLs4nM2TTDbHIyjPQRNg9AWQ2Gwy36PqWM2oAm1rMmxiICPwv3wn8Flh7dBu6jT_6zf8AtD6-Kdb6vEM-fPAK9Jz4bckSuEzVscuT5UeTSuCFOItCFPqtaMaXqrqWYw01rOtal0rJVOgnlWnYp1xUWUH0SsI1C8MIkyDb0fIBoBidRA!!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

This article describes more about their reporting.
https://wallethub.com/edu/what-is-chexsystems/13131/

Also, Jim Cramer made a big fuss today about how you need to contact your bank because people can use your account info to start a new credit line. I grilled my bank and broker about it today and, unless I missed something in his description of the issue this doesn't seem like a real risk because of procedures and paperwork involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy. Equifax bought an ID theft protection company between discovering the breech and announcing it. So they got hacked, and then pretty much did everything in their power to make money off of compromising people's data.

https://investor.equifax.com/news-and-events/news/2017/08-11-2017-005951319
Maybe that's what got the IRS to send them a sole source contract for fraud ID services on Sept. 30?  

(And, yes, like the Congressman, I'd think it was an Onion article, too. Astonishing that this wasn't pulled back.)

So we decided to switch cable providers (can't cut the cable until I get a better way to watch local news and Cardinals baseball). Wife went to take care of this. She tried to put it in my name. There was a $250 equipment fee for me. No charge for her. Turns out if you have bad, or in this case no, credit they charge a deposit. Guess who totally forgot about freezing his credit? This guy!

I went to gt a new vehicle for the wife yesterday. Didn't unfreeze the credit because we intended to pay cash. Apparently they do a fraud check for a personal check (makes sense I suppose). So I told them, no biggie, I have the PIN with me, I'll unfreeze it quick. They insisted it takes 24 hours after you call for the unfreezing to take place, so I had to drive to the bank to get a certified check. I have never heard this 24 hour delay thing before so I am skeptical. I get the feeling they just really weren't comfortable with a personal check. But be forewarned.

I went to gt a new vehicle for the wife yesterday. Didn't unfreeze the credit because we intended to pay cash. Apparently they do a fraud check for a personal check (makes sense I suppose). So I told them, no biggie, I have the PIN with me, I'll unfreeze it quick. They insisted it takes 24 hours after you call for the unfreezing to take place, so I had to drive to the bank to get a certified check. I have never heard this 24 hour delay thing before so I am skeptical. I get the feeling they just really weren't comfortable with a personal check. But be forewarned.
Can you elaborate on this? It'll be helpful for the rest of us I think.

- Did the dealership have a single credit bureau they work with?

- For unfreezing, do you do it for that one entity (the dealership)? Or do you unfreeze the whole thing?

Can you elaborate on this? It'll be helpful for the rest of us I think.

- Did the dealership have a single credit bureau they work with?

- For unfreezing, do you do it for that one entity (the dealership)? Or do you unfreeze the whole thing?
- Yes. When the salesman said it was frozen, I asked who they used and told him I would be glad to unfreeze it as I brought the PINS. He had to go check with his finance guy. He came back and told me they used Equifax.

- I would have unfroze it temporarily (one day) for just that particular car dealer. But his finance guy insisted it would take 24 hours for the thaw to become effective.

I went out to Equifax after posting and it says it is state dependent. It can be anywhere from immediate up to three days. So they recommend doing it days ahead if you know you will need it.

How much good would credit monitoring be if you've frozen with all 3 bureaus already?

I was part of a smaller data breach somewhere else apparently, and there was a lawsuit and they are providing 2 years of it. Wondering how much good it would do though.

How much good would credit monitoring be if you've frozen with all 3 bureaus already?

I was part of a smaller data breach somewhere else apparently, and there was a lawsuit and they are providing 2 years of it. Wondering how much good it would do though.
If it's free, why not? I've lost track of how many monitors I have on me right now thanks to all the breaches that provided free coverage.

So somebody ordered 5 iPhones on my wife's online verizon account last night and also changed her plan.  I am not sure whether this was simply a password hack of her verizon account or whether they have a bunch of identifying info that allowed them to gain access.

I guess I should do a freeze on her and I both?  And maybe even my kids (3 and 1)?

So somebody ordered 5 iPhones on my wife's online verizon account last night and also changed her plan.  I am not sure whether this was simply a password hack of her verizon account or whether they have a bunch of identifying info that allowed them to gain access.

I guess I should do a freeze on her and I both?  And maybe even my kids (3 and 1)?
I don't think a freeze would stop this sort of theft. The account is already open. No credit check needed. The freeze stops them from opening anything new that requires a credit check. Same thing if they hacked your credit card and bought some things with an existing line of credit. 

I still haven't frozen anything. I do have LifeLock though and they alert me right away if an account has been opened and ask if I recognize it. I suppose I should freeze but have been avoiding the hassle.

Saw on my credit report that my checking account bank as well as my mortgage bank do frequent credit inquiries.  It would be nice if now that I have my credit frozen that these banks will stop sending me junk mail offers.   
Haven't gotten any credit card offers since freezing.   :thumbup:

I had this same exact thing happen about 2 years ago with Verizon.

Haven't gotten any credit card offers since freezing.   :thumbup:
Nope the freezing kicks ###.  Wish I had done it a long time ago.  I recently bought a car, but besides that I haven't had to get any credit or a loan for anything.  No reason it shouldn't be frozen

How much is “somebody” looking to get for one of those iPhones? jk

What consequences, if any?  Were any of your other accounts impacted?
It was only Verizon and they caught it before shipping anything.  They actually called me because we live in Colorado and the phone was ordered shipped to New York.  Set off some fraud flag.  This was the only account affected and we never found out for sure how they did it.  I assume it was some keylogger on my wife's work computer because she always paid the verizon bill at work and her IT staff sucks.

Has anyone tried to unfreeze their credit with Experian?  I'm finding it impossible to deal with this company and I can't even speak to a person there. 

yeah i figure ill keep it frozen forever and just lift it temporarily whenever I need it. peace of mind

the lift is almost immediate and you can specify how long until it refreezes
That’s what we are doing. I chuckle when cashiers ask if I want to save 15% on my purchase and open a credit card. I tell them I couldn’t even if I wanted to.

That’s what we are doing. I chuckle when cashiers ask if I want to save 15% on my purchase and open a credit card. I tell them I couldn’t even if I wanted to.
Not always true.  If you are married, make sure you freeze both your and spouse's SSN.  About a year ago, someone had stolen my wife's identity and had a fake driver's license and walked into my bank in another state and withdrew 11k over the course of a few days. 

We did the whole credit freeze thing through all the bureau's and when setting up new accounts at Chase, they offered me a $500 sign up bonus for their credit card, direct deposit, etc.  I said it wouldn't work, but go ahead.  30 second's later I was approved.  Turned out, the freeze was only put under my wife's name and SSN. 

Not always true.  If you are married, make sure you freeze both your and spouse's SSN.  About a year ago, someone had stolen my wife's identity and had a fake driver's license and walked into my bank in another state and withdrew 11k over the course of a few days. 

We did the whole credit freeze thing through all the bureau's and when setting up new accounts at Chase, they offered me a $500 sign up bonus for their credit card, direct deposit, etc.  I said it wouldn't work, but go ahead.  30 second's later I was approved.  Turned out, the freeze was only put under my wife's name and SSN. 
Yeah, we’re boyh frozen since my wife’s identity was stolen last year.

Users who are viewing this thread