What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you build your bench? (1 Viewer)

Which is your preferred bench strategy?

• #1. Risk-Reward. Go big or go home. Rev that engine - sounds good. Feels good. Blow the light - "it

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • Consertvative. Back up the important positions for depth, turn down that rap & roll and get the

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Hybrid. I drive a Prius, but I've still got AC/DC crankin' & I'm workin' on a sweet mullet!

Votes: 24 48.0%

• Total voters

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Over the years I've seen several bench strategies. 

1. Risky & All-Upside - you've got 3-5 bench RBs who could blow up with an injury to a starter. A couple of potential sleeper WRs & no handcuffs. Heck, you might not even have a QB2 or TE2. You'll deal with the BYE week when it gets there! 

2. Conservative & Depth-Oriented - you'd rather have a decent WR2-3 type & RB3-4 type on your bench to cover you for injury & BYE weeks so that the drop-off isn't as significant. None of your bench players are going to win you a league by themselves, but you won't have a hole in your lineup with a home-run swing off the WW during a BYE week either. 

3. Hybrid of 1 & 2 -  You've got a couple of lottery tickets, a couple of handcuffs. Depth is limited to maybe 1 extra WR, 1 RB, a QB2, but likely no TE2. You might carry 2 D/ST if the schedule works out and it's cheap. 

Which one is yours and why? Year over year has it had similar results in terms of risk/reward? Is there a bench strategy I missed? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I only play dynasty so I'll answer from that POV...

How do I build my bench? The waiver wire. Bench...what bench? I always consolidate value into my starting lineup. Then I have 10+ roster spots for waiver/BB$ adds, who I also try to flip at the earliest opportunity, consolidating until I have something else start-worthy or at least valuable enough to be "sure" about. I've already done it this year with Cohen, Kittle, Golladay. Holding guys like Breida, Shaheen, Kerwynn Williams, etc until they flash enough to be dealt. Along with this, I'm also the owner who packages my future draft picks within weeks of them becoming available. I only pick up backup QBs off the waiver wire in-season...I usually gamble that my stud QB stays healthy and productive for the other 13-15 weeks and use the other roster spots for fliers. 

How do I build my bench? The waiver wire. Bench...what bench? I always consolidate value into my starting lineup. Then I have 10+ roster spots for waiver/BB$ adds, who I also try to flip at the earliest opportunity, consolidating until I have something else start-worthy or at least valuable enough to be "sure" about. I've already done it this year with Cohen, Kittle, Golladay. Holding guys like Breida, Shaheen, Kerwynn Williams, etc until they flash enough to be dealt. Along with this, I'm also the owner who packages my future draft picks within weeks of them becoming available. I only pick up backup QBs off the waiver wire in-season...I usually gamble that my stud QB stays healthy and productive for the other 13-15 weeks and use the other roster spots for fliers. 
Excellent contribution - dynasty absolutely clouds things. I admittedly was too redraft-centric in this topic/poll. 

Do you think Dynasty leads to taking greater or fewer risks? I've noticed dynasty rosters tend to be a bit larger, but dynasty owners are *always* leaping on the next hyped up player. Obviously because if you catch lightning in a  bottle they're also cheap to keep the following year.  

Does the roster churn of chasing younger hyped players limit your ability to cover BYEs or survive injury? 

I always start the year at #1 but end up #2 by about week 5 or so to round out my roster for the year. This year was accelerated due to some decisions at the draft that didn't go my way. I took a shot at some upside guys to start the year, but already my bench is mostly RB handcuffs due to injuries and changing situations. I use to never carry a backup QB, but as of a couple of years ago my league got smarter so it's tough to land a bye week QB as needed. So a startable QB2/QB3 type, a startable WR4/5 type, a serviceable RB3/4 type, and two handcuffs to my starting RB's sit on my bench right now. I'm set for the year short of further injuries and i'll be churning my defense and kicker starting their respective bye weeks.

I always start the year at #1 but end up #2 by about week 5 or so to round out my roster for the year. This year was accelerated due to some decisions at the draft that didn't go my way. I took a shot at some upside guys to start the year, but already my bench is mostly RB handcuffs due to injuries and changing situations. I use to never carry a backup QB, but as of a couple of years ago my league got smarter so it's tough to land a bye week QB as needed. So a startable QB2/QB3 type, a startable WR4/5 type, a serviceable RB3/4 type, and two handcuffs to my starting RB's sit on my bench right now. I'm set for the year short of further injuries and i'll be churning my defense and kicker starting their respective bye weeks.
Same here - maddening. I used to do QB freefall pretty extreme - back in the day pretty much everyone waited on QBs, so I could land my target in the 12-13 round. And there always seemed to be someone to pick up off the wire for a BYE.

now there are teams taking a 2nd QB in the 10th round before I've taken my 1st. That's usually my clue to get the player I want and a couple times it's bit me in the A if the run was moving in the wrong direction from my draft position.

i blame fantasy football websites like this one. Helping the worst players in my leagues get better. Ruining the strategies for those of us clever enough to do them first. Thanks FBG. ;)  

Provided I've had a good draft ...

I usually seem to end up very strong in the WR department. Bench usually consists of a lot of RBs, hoping that 1-2 come good. Almost never carry a second TE and QB, until situation demands it. 

15 man roster usually shakes out to

1 QB

6-8 RBs

4-5 WRs

1 TE, DEF, K

This is only my 5th year playing fantasy, I think last year was when the light bulb truly turned on and I realised it was better to have a smaller tight unit of elite WRs, and just stock up massively on RBs due to potential injuries. Seemed to work last year when won both the leagues I play in.

Situations can change some of that of course, nothing is ever set in stone

#3, weighted more toward number 1.  Never carry 2 TEs and rarely a backup QB, unless that was a strategy to wait until late in the draft.

You have to take what the league gives you. The league I play in all like to have position depth. In particular they all like backup QBs. 

I will then take advantage and fill up my roster with a variety of RBs. Some are lottery tickets but I try to at least find flex worthy RBs and let the league fight for WR depth. I'll take a K Williams RB over any WR3/4 any day. 

Eventually RBs start breaking down and I usually am in good shape to weather the storm. 

In what dynasty leagues were guys like Golladay and Cohen not drafted? Short benches?

You can never have enough Rbs. That one statement can drive most successful models. 
My friend's wife (who plays in like 11 leagues, several dynasty/keeper, auction drafts, etc) sent me a screen grab of one of her lineups. 10 man bench, she had 9 RBs and a QB2.

i told her she's not playing Pokémon - she doesn't need to catch 'em all. :lol:  

I take a lot of lottery tickets after I fill out my lineup. Draft 1 QB, 1 TE, 0 K, whichever DT has the best Week 1 matchup. I tend to start most redrafts like this: 

WR WR RB WR WR TE 

I like solid a WR corps - full PPR, start 3 WR 2 RB 1 TE 1 W/R/T. Easier to find RBs than WRs IME. I don't worry about my backup QB or TE until their bye week, I go through Ks & DTs like socks. Once most of the byes are covered I try to swing 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 to upgrade weaknesses (bench depth rarely comes into play for the playoffs, better to have more studs than depth.) I typically carry several RBs who are an injury away from stardom. Can't tell you how many times a week 10-12 WW gem has been languishing on my bench.

I also tend to start slowly. In 25 years my overall winning % is around .590 but I bet I'm under or close to .500 for the first half - tend to have young guys who emerge as the season goes on (Diggs, DJ rookie seasons are prime examples.) I've won a few titles with 7-6/8-5 teams that got hot late, been bounced in the first round with 9/10 win teams (I don't think I've ever won more than 10 regular season, I think our league record is 11?) 

I love boom/bust players who smoke your opponents when they blow up. 

I try and backup my stud RB's if there is an obvious candidate.

The rest is upside players that I cycle through pretty quickly.

Depends on the league. Agree with what most have said already but in large auction leagues (20 teams or more) I'm more inclined to play conservatively because that's where the value has been. 

Smaller leagues are all about the stud and risk. 

But right now in my 16 team league I have been consolidating more into stud core players (Mariota, DJ, Antonio, Evans, a great group of linebackers) and then a large drop, my bench has a bunch of possible breakout types.

#3 (Redraft, 17 slots). I'm really making a concerted effort not to churn the usual warm bodies on and off the bottom of my roster when there is very little separating them. Some depth is good but otherwise I'm trying to be a week early on the high upside guys.

In what dynasty leagues were guys like Golladay and Cohen not drafted? Short benches?

Cohen wasn't drafted in one of my devy leagues, but we draft immediately following the NFL draft. We do four rounds, 14 teams, unlimited rosters in the offseason (but no blind bidding until the last week of preseason). 26 man rosters in-season. Golladay was drafted in the early 3rd there. Idk if you remember the chatter right after the draft but Cohen wasn't getting any. Before he showed he translated to NFL practice fields he was seen as a COP/KR option for the Bears by most (I did draft him in the 4th round of a couple other early drafts though). Not many people were taking him seriously until he started getting training camp hype. 

So I spent $119/200 on Cohen a couple weeks ago. Liked what I had seen so far before the regular season. Then after his week 1 coming out party, I had someone come to me about a larger package deal, but I had to buy Golladay for them. So I sent Cohen and Kittle for Golladay. Then dealt Golladay in a larger deal. 

Excellent contribution - dynasty absolutely clouds things. I admittedly was too redraft-centric in this topic/poll. 

Do you think Dynasty leads to taking greater or fewer risks? I've noticed dynasty rosters tend to be a bit larger, but dynasty owners are *always* leaping on the next hyped up player. Obviously because if you catch lightning in a  bottle they're also cheap to keep the following year.  

Does the roster churn of chasing younger hyped players limit your ability to cover BYEs or survive injury? 
I think it depends entirely on the type of owner you're talking about. By nature some owners are risk-averse, and some love the boom-or-bust options. Being "stuck" with your team long term also effects how people conduct themselves--you don't get to redraft the following year if you screw up, in dynasty. Its also the only format where people willingly lose and make trades for the future, in order to rebuild and try to capture that "perfect" dynasty roster long term. 

For me specifically, I definitely have a tendency to go big or go home. I value studs in my starting lineup over any amount of depth, generally. But I aggressively play the blind bidding game and have had good fortune with FCFS (add/drop) additions over the years, with so many open bench spaces. You're bound to hit, and then its just about making deals to fill your holes when they arise. Injuries can screw you, but if you're active on the trade market and stay in constant communication with leaguemates about values and potential deals, you can always scramble if necessary without losing too much value. 

I will say this--my "strategy" would not work in leagues that are inactive. I'm lucky to be in leagues filled with very active owners who are always up to trade, keeping the value carousel in motion and making big moves possible at all times of year, with enough dedication and networking. I'm never 'stuck' with any one roster iteration so I can trade for value and fill holes later--I don't need to worry about having my starting TE nailed down in July if I can pull good value for the guy I've already got, because I know I can find another TE deal before September. Not all leagues are like that. But its how I prefer to play, wheeling and dealing--I wouldn't stay in inactive leagues because I wouldn't have fun, but also because my preferred method of roster building and bench management wouldn't work in the slightest. I'd be bored to tears. 

My friend's wife (who plays in like 11 leagues, several dynasty/keeper, auction drafts, etc) sent me a screen grab of one of her lineups. 10 man bench, she had 9 RBs and a QB2.

i told her she's not playing Pokémon - she doesn't need to catch 'em all. :lol:  
All things in moderation, obviously, but in a game of attrition, that's the value. Wether you are using them as your next man up when everyone else doesn't have them or you are using them as trade material, there is value there.  One of the things I generally liked to do was get my RB stable set, go into the first few weeks where I can see what's what, and then the first opponent that loses a RB (and I have guys to spare), there generally was always good trade value to leverage there. 

Just seems simple and proven. hard to beat it.

I usually have a bench full of running backs but for some reason this year I ended up with a bunch of upside WRs.

I'm looking around to make some trades but since it's just week 2, everyone is okay with their WRs at the moment, even if they had bad games.

Hopefully I can offload some so I can scoop up my handcuffs and RB lotto tickets.

All things in moderation, obviously, but in a game of attrition, that's the value. Wether you are using them as your next man up when everyone else doesn't have them or you are using them as trade material, there is value there.  One of the things I generally liked to do was get my RB stable set, go into the first few weeks where I can see what's what, and then the first opponent that loses a RB (and I have guys to spare), there generally was always good trade value to leverage there. 

Just seems simple and proven. hard to beat it.
I do the same to some extent. I have as few as 7 and as many as 9 RBs on both of my rosters. 

That includes starters & bench though. 

And as soon as one of the backend guys pops a big game, and a league-mate suffers a loss at the position, you bet I'll be offering them up to shore up holes.

But I don't do it at the expense of depth. I always like to have at least 1 bench WR good enough to cover a bad matchup or BYE. And I'll usually have 1, maybe 2 handcuffs. I like the insurance policy. 

I usually have a bench full of running backs but for some reason this year I ended up with a bunch of upside WRs.

I'm looking around to make some trades but since it's just week 2, everyone is okay with their WRs at the moment, even if they had bad games.

Hopefully I can offload some so I can scoop up my handcuffs and RB lotto tickets.
I remember way back in the day when my leagues had lineups of 2 WR & no flex. 

You couldn't give away a WR in a trade. 

RBs were king. Gas cost $.03 a gallon $ you could get a suit taylor made for a nickel. 

Also, I rode a dinosaur to work. 

Redraft - my bench consists of lotto ticket RB's. High upside TD potential WR's. No backup TE or QB.

dynasty - more of a hybrid bench. 

Redraft

Always risk reward for bench, with one or two safer options stashed in there

You can never have enough Rbs. That one statement can drive most successful models. 

i feel like this was THE strategy for a long time but over time it became difficult to execute as it became the consensus FF strategy. i found myself loading up on receivers at the draft instead...

but in recent years RB HEAVY teams have gone out of vogue and it seems more owners have shifted to a receiver-heavy focus. 

i've seen several owners in my league walk out with 4 RBs and sometimes maybe only 3 the last couple years. that was unheard of 5 years ago...

and now those RBs ranked between 30 and 50 are pretty cheap again and it's easier to load up...

a few years ago, i was usually carrying 5 or 6 RBs and 6 or 7 RCs... but this year, my team has 8 RBs (start 2), 4 receivers (start 3), 2 QB (start 1) and 2 TEs (start 1).

if one of my receivers gets dinged or misses some practices, i'll drop the backup QB.

This, our league mandates a set roster and bench(ie: 2qb, 5rb, 5wr..ect ect).   And before you complain it's been like this for almost 30 years, we've tried changing it, but it never passes the vote.  

I always take a couple flyers late, like Golliday this year.     If they hit, my bench wr bench is full(or useful trade bait).  I use the 2-2-1 method with my rbs..... It doesn't start that way, but usually is by week 3.... Covers your ### with injury and byes.  

Im always looking to upgrade even my #5 position players 

Wrigley said:
This, our league mandates a set roster and bench(ie: 2qb, 5rb, 5wr..ect ect).  
Kind of restrictive, but pretty much how most of the rosters in my league end up anyway. I'm in the camp of carrying as many RB's as I can early in the season, but other than that wouldn't have a problem with this setup.

Kind of restrictive, but pretty much how most of the rosters in my league end up anyway. I'm in the camp of carrying as many RB's as I can early in the season, but other than that wouldn't have a problem with this setup.
I generally oppose them but even I felt obligated to institute position restrictions in my neighborhood league last year. No fun for anyone when a couple people have got a deep bench full of RBs and unlucky owners' options are start a literal fullback at RB by week 11 or get bent over a barrel in trade.

But in leagues where you're in it primarily for the money, yeah, lottery ticket RBs first, last, and everywhere.

I generally oppose them but even I felt obligated to institute position restrictions in my neighborhood league last year. No fun for anyone when a couple people have got a deep bench full of RBs and unlucky owners' options are start a literal fullback at RB by week 11 or get bent over a barrel in trade.

But in leagues where you're in it primarily for the money, yeah, lottery ticket RBs first, last, and everywhere.
Maybe draft different instead of changing the rules lol?

I usually start with 4x4s because those are pretty sturdy. Decking boards are kind of nice because of the nice rounded edges. I'd recommend using treated lumber just for longevity. Whatever stain you prefer for color and protection

Generally for redraft leagues I try to get a safe play to backup my RBs and WRs (someone I can feel confident throwing in when an injury or during bye weeks ).

After that, i try for all upside guys that have a path to a big role in good offenses.

Entirely upside players for me.  I will grab a spare WR or two for depth, maybe another TE if there's some really good replacement value (like a Charles Clay or Henry-type player) but other than that I stack as many RB handcuffs as possible. I had Kerwynn Williams in almost every league, as well as holding guys like Conner, Foreman, etc.  Those type of handcuff RBs change your season if the stud gets hurt. Generally never hold a second QB unless bench is super deep (8+) or I planned from the start to go RBBC.

Hot Sauce Guy said:

Dynasty leads to (or requires) taking more risks IMO.  Because when they pay off they pay off in spades and when they don't you didn't really leave much on the table in opportunity cost.  I got Tyreek Hill in every league last year for $1 FAAB.  You just can't replicate that kind of plus value anywhere else.  Other guys are pulling Brandon LaFell for a spot start while I'm holding a dynamo for a breakout.  You then use that roster equity to solve need.  I was able to trade McCoy for Kelce last year after getting Tyreek as my flex plugin.  There's very little value in holding a guy like Brandon Marshall because even if he does go for 15 you can't rely on that and no one is going to give you anything for him if you try to move him.  But man, check out the price on Kenny Golladay right now.

A lot of it is a function of roster size.  The IDP ones I play in are around 40 active roster and another 10 or so taxi squad.  I have a general makeup of:
30-35 starters - with 16-20 starting spots this is the core of the starting pool
10 talent holds - guys I believe in long term, generally on a taxi squad so can't start.  Mixon, Shaheen, Trubisky
5 upside shots - min bid or late picks that might get hot fast or guys that have fallen from grace and are much cheaper than their upside suggests - Deangelo Henderson, Chris Carson, Chris Conley.  Agholor, Treadwell, or Booker.  These guys turn into your spot starters until you can move them.

It was said earlier, but consolidation is the key in dynasty.  If I have too many upside guys I need to consolidate them.  Recently traded Chris Carson, George Kittle, and Jared Reeves-Maybin for Ty Montgomery.  Montgomery isn't going to be a stud (.5 ppr league) but he's a functional starter/flex for me every week and I opened 3 more spots to take fliers.  I am also working a deal to move Tyreek Hill + for Evans.  One of the things I have consistently found is that there's a market for just about anyone if you just keep grinding.  You might hate Agholor, and you might find 5 guys that don't buy into him, but there's always going to be one that does.  Find that guy and then start stacking.in value.

I actually watch Football (for the record) 2nd string QB is odds are, nothing more than game manager OR liked by players. A Stud WR, is all thats needed for all intents n' purposes, in the best situations. Id still chase a Rookie, if I had that "gut feelin", about em. Yeah, but it looks like RB is my weakness.  My main two backs is Zeke, and Howard. I also have guys like West, and Hill, who may yet need another Season too start Rocking. I also have Conner, and Mack. First, let me say I already have QB Brissett, so it kinda stings too roster Mack, not counting the feelings of "hot mess" that may or may not be present. Now I suspect Conner has real potential, being 100 Pitt. So anyway, low n' behold someone dropped S. Perine.. Obviously were talking bn space, in this situation. No lie, about issues holding out for chances, and opportunity, none the less. Now I myself actually stopped holding reserve IDP, for the most part. ie. This Season, I started off acquiring Foster, and dropping Bowman. I couldn't risk no points in a position, so I had too at least temporarily drop Foster too add Goodson. Technically, I'm thinking Perine is maybe just a "want". Its like I believe some folks, just keep improving, like say Taco Charlton? None the less, I wasn't nearly as giddy as acquiring Hill, in the same matter, a few Seasons ago, but I was content. For the record, I play nearly Full Dynasty, meaning our Comish, can increase (maybe decrease) strength. I Love Rook's, so its all good. My point, if there is one, besides having a Stud(s) QB, and legit WR's, is going for broke on RB's. I can't say Conner, will have have a bulldozer career for yr's. I'm hesitant too really feel too great about Mack. But man I dropped my backup kicker Vinatieri, acquired via missing my draft. It felt kinda odd seeing all the drop number listed for Vin, because I assume, folks thinking worst for Colts FG opportunity. Its not the way I see it though. I should also say my League Loves RB's. Which is ironic, because I'm planning too Win, but I may be more than Happy too entertain some trades too (down the road). Its worth noting, I believe someone could hear names like Carr, OBJ, Evans, Parker(?) and be thinking Dude ya have Lutz, I think ya gots quite lucky, and did well.  Fact is, its only 2nd wk, and I still have two Def/ST, but possibly my weakest player may be Cardale Jones, so while I talk merits of having eight RB's in this instance. I'm not saying too forget about the most significant position, which in a 2 QB 12-man League (aka Real League), is two fold important. I'm saying too enjoy, having room available too add, that "dream" player. I mean IF you know your sheet about WR's, that's awesome. Because a man whose gambling RB depth, is gonna be watching you (assuming QB acquisition is like Dreaming) But yeah, RB's are limited, by such things as Coaching, and Opportunities. Call it Gambling, if ya must. But, in my League's scoring a Great day for a RB is almost untouchable for a Win..

(tldr; 2 Redneck-ish)  Watch some Football, read the Forum, IF ya still don't get RB, as important for BN? Get a dictionary.

I mainly play redraft--so my answer is for a redraft perspective.  I generally like to draft guys with high floors in the early to mid rounds--and then target guys with high ceilings or high potential ceilings in the later rounds where I'm stockpiling my bench.  This does generally end leaving me teams with a higher concentration of rbs on the bench.   With that being said--I never rule out drafting backups at TE/QB if the draft dictates that the highest ceiling player happens to play one of those positions.  For example--I own Austin Hooper as my backup TE in a few of my leagues this year.  I essentially use my bench for two reasons--for insurance to my starters when necessary and as a cache of darts looking to hit a fantasy difference maker. 

The poll cracks me up - we have exactly 1 conservative member here. 

Who voted conservative? Do you listen to a lot of yacht rock? Fleetwood Mac & Christopher Cross all up in your iTunes? 

:)  

Lots and lots of RBs trying to hit Home Runs. Settling for doubles. 

8 bench spots.

2 WRs 6 RBs  

Churning the bottom of the roster to deal with bye weeks 

To build a bigger bench you have to train bench at least 2-3 times a week. 

If you are weak off the chest pause rep bench press and dumbells work wonders.

if you're weak at lockout you gotta work on your triceps brah.

also try smolov jr program 

:thumbup: isn't this what we preach around here? it's fun when you're the one with the RB's.  :shark:  
Exactly. I joined a league that had fixed bench #s and lead the vote to change it to next year. it passed 11-1, the commish the lone vote against because of "hoarding". 

We basically said, "you know you could hoard as well." 

lol

I guess i try to keep as many home run lotto tickets as i can, we'll call them my seeds. I plant those seeds hoping some grow in to great assets.. then i usually pair the new found asset with a starter in a trade to get a better starter (2 for 1 trades). then plant a new seed and wait... repeat as many times as i can.

Users who are viewing this thread