What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Do You Listen To During Your Commute (1 Viewer)

James Daulton

Footballguy
I recently went from a 20 minute commute to one anywhere from 35 - 50 minutes.  I find myself listening to music on the radio almost exclusively but even though I'll listen to several different genres (pop, classic rock, country), I sometimes get frustrated with the commercials or the playlist.

What do you dudes listen to?  I have a 2005 car so no satellite radio, can't stream from my phone directly but I guess I could through the tape deck right?  Books on tape, podcasts?  Any particularly interesting ones?

My last car was a 2003, so I only had a tape deck as well.  I listened to Spotify on my phone with a tape adapter.  If you're an audiophile, the sound wasn't the greatest, but I cannot stand the music selection on over the air radio, and the commercials are the kicker.  I have 20+ playlists, and rotate through genre's each day.

I have put 2100 miles on my truck in the last 2 weeks and it was parked at the airport last Tuesday-Friday.  I rotate through podcasts/ satellite radio (talk 60%/sports 25%/music 15%)/audio books/ Pandora.  

Podcasts: Usually NPR/WNYC programs with focus on pseudo economics topics.  Recently started listening to Cults and Preet Bharara.  Gladwell/Freakanomics/Rowe/TED are commonly in the queue.  I enjoy the Switched on Pop podcasts - they break down a popular song or two and I know nothing about music - I find it intriguing.

Audio Books:  Last 5 - To Kill a Mockingbird, 10% Happier, Originals, The Four Agreements, The Better Angels of Our Nature

"Do you mean my commute from my bedroom to my home office?"

-work from home guy

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently went from a 20 minute commute to one anywhere from 35 - 50 minutes.  I find myself listening to music on the radio almost exclusively but even though I'll listen to several different genres (pop, classic rock, country), I sometimes get frustrated with the commercials or the playlist.

What do you dudes listen to?  I have a 2005 car so no satellite radio, can't stream from my phone directly but I guess I could through the tape deck right?  Books on tape, podcasts?  Any particularly interesting ones?
Buy yourself a bluetooth speaker.  Tape deck?  GTFO.   

I like Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast... just Bill making jokes about current events generally. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I work from home 90 percent of the time, but when I do commute I listen to Dave and Chuck the freak. If they aren't on or they get too gross I listen to popular music. If I am car pooling no radio and just talk. 

25 minute commute each way. Podcasts.  I upgraded my stereo to one with bluetooth capability.  Usually Adam Carolla or Bill Simmons podcasts. 

Do yourself a favor and upgrade your stereo to one with bluetooth or at least an aux jack. You can find decent ones for not much scratch, or splurge and get a really nice setup. Your commute will become far easier if you can listen to whatever music/podcast/audiobook you want to. Someone else in here can recommend specific ones as I'm no expert. 

Drives my wife nuts but that's pretty much all I listen to.

Sick of hearing the same songs over and over again.
:yes:  This is EXACTLY the reason so. I can set my watch to when what specific song is coming on. Clockwork. Then you flip the station and the SAME ####### song is on.

Thankfully, my lady is kind of a sports nut as well. She can tolerate it. Yesterday was a struggle because everyone was talking about US soccer. No one gives a ####.

Hate both morning shows . Used to really like Toucher & Rich in the beginning but that’s really faded  and eei’s Callahan , no thanks. If I had to pick 98.5

On way home it’s usually the curmudgeons Felger & Maz

how about you?
Can't stand WEEI

I like Toucher and Rich usually, they sometimes get on my nerves but I listen every morning. Felger and Mazz in the afternoon as well. 

Usually other people’s music cranked up in their cars.  So many hearing impaired folks in the Tampa area.  Sad.

I live in a house with a fiance who always wants to talk, 3 teenage girls, and a dog that likes to bark.  When I get in the car all by myself, I listen to silence.  The radio stays off.  Of those rare times it goes on, it's sports radio.

the only local sports radio station we have, where they make our fan base dumber by listening to them.
I flip between this and the local NPR station.

I don't really mind the WGR guys, they're pretty harmless and they don't have any dumb shtick.  It's not their fault that Dave from Chicktowaga can't grasp why Nathan Peterman isn't the starting QB.....

I flip between this and the local NPR station.

I don't really mind the WGR guys, they're pretty harmless and they don't have any dumb shtick.  It's not their fault that Dave from Chicktowaga can't grasp why Nathan Peterman isn't the starting QB.....
Only really like Schopp. Everyone else is Rah-Rah.  Bulldog is a stuttering moron who talks about his son every day being a goalie.  Jeremy white might be my least favorite, very clueless. Like when he thought Grigorenko was the best thing ever.  Howard is ok as he steers the show.  Don't hate Peters/Rivet like everyone else as they have intelligent views.  Donald Jones doesn't seem like a fit an John Murphy and Sal are the ultimate "everything is always fine" company men.  Just wish they had some competition.

It is enjoyable when they have Clayton, fantasy guys, and other guests on.  I enjoy Schopp with McDermott.

I'm a bike commuter unless it's pouring.  I listen to Spotify through a pair of bone conduction headphones.  They don't provide much in the way of bass but they don't block my ears so I can hear street noise over the music.

I don't get the appeal of podcasts.  No matter what the subject is, I find the format of 2-3 people talking for an hour really boring.  I rarely finish the ones I start listening to.

My wife has a commute of about an hour each way. She has gotten into listening to books on the stereo in the van. She says it makes the time go faster and she will sometimes wait in the driveway to finish a chapter. A couple years ago I added a BT receiver to the stereo of our 2005 Honda minivan, because of her commute and our long drives for family visits; this makes sound great from a phone, and it allows for phone calls as well. It will automatically connect with the phone when you enter the vehicle.

She has been listening to the GOT and Outlander books. On our long trips this summer we listened to more teen friendly ones (Hunger Games and Harry Potter).

2 total hours on the road every day, afternoons are way worse. I go with Podcasts and Audible, maaaaaaaaaybe the local NPR station in the mornings for classical music. I have an older car without satellite radio and the aux port is finnicky. Typically just stick my phone in a cupholder and it sounds just fine.

Podcasts: McElroy Brothers (The Adventure Zone, MBMBAM, Sawbones, more...), a couple of wrestling casts that don't just ##### about the current product (We Watch Wrestling, Something to Wrestle With) and other D&D Liveplay casts (Critical Role, Sneak Attack, Critical Hit). Dan Carlin stuff if he ever happens to release a new episode.

Audible: only if the narrator is really good and I have my WhisperSync set up.

When I want to find a new podcast, I listen to their first 3 episodes, then their most current episode and judge from there. I binge the new casts and listen to the others as they release. I consume a lot of media.

Buy yourself a bluetooth speaker.
I did this and duct taped it to the dashboard. My car has 280k miles and the bluetooth speaker only cost $20, but it works great. The only problem is switching between stations, have to look at my phone and manually do it. It kind of sucks, but it works. 

Sirius:
Howard Stern
POTUS channel
New Wave
Lithium
Hair
Backspin

DI.fm Radio:
Breakbeats
Old School Acid

Spotify: 
Personalized playlists

My drive is less than 20 minutes both ways and the best sound is silence. I embrace this short commute time. I can just get my head clear and yes, I probably look like a madman, but I spend most of the trip talking to myself (most times out loud  :bag: ). At least I am not so far gone, I haven't started answering myself yet. . 

Users who are viewing this thread