What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OG Post-Punk Countdown: 1977-1984 #1 - Joy Division - Transmission (1979) (Spotify playlist link in first post) (1 Viewer)

Leroy Hoard said:
I always assumed it was their song but maybe Idol would have been the better choice, it seems to fit his voice.  Bryan Ferry, Corey Hart, and Fixx lead singer Cy Curnin also were considered to do it for the soundtrack.
I can totally picture Idol singing that. Ferry, not so much. 

#48 - Modern English - Gathering Dust (1980)

Modern English are the second of three bands on my list to have a breakout single - one that sounds very little like their earlier work - thanks to an 80s teen movie.  The band originally formed in 1979 as the Lepers, before wisely changing their name and quickly signing to the legendary goth/dreampop label 4AD.  That famous song on the "Valley Girl" soundtrack helped Modern English's second album attain Gold status in the U.S. in 1982, but it's their third single that exemplifies the band's sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3FJ9vFFnjo
This is great -- and again, I can't believe it's the I Melt With You band. 

I remember when those two films came out...I did the same back to back viewings. worth the watch (Control, and ...don't remember).

I will say, if you haven't already...and I assume you all have...24 Hour Party People is a must watch for this music scene. Love the movie regardless, but even more so because this was all my music as a kid (and still).
Watched it last night again since Mrs. O never saw it. Great stuff. 

Thanks, man.  I think it might be dope to join you guys on the next trip out someplace for a music meetup.
It's the thing I've missed most.  This time last year, I was in Athens, GA for 3 nights of Drive-By Truckers annual homecoming shows.  Nothing since.  

I hope the guy who puts on the living room shows where we saw Archers of Loaf singer has a banner schedule planned for late 2021 and 2022.

It's the thing I've missed most.  This time last year, I was in Athens, GA for 3 nights of Drive-By Truckers annual homecoming shows.  Nothing since.  

I hope the guy who puts on the living room shows where we saw Archers of Loaf singer has a banner schedule planned for late 2021 and 2022.
I feel like this hiatus has cleared the slate and I’m allowed to pick concerts now too.

Oh great playlist, just discovered this thread. 

I don't know how to define post-punk, but a genre with Jesus and Mary Chain, Talking Heads, PiL, and Violent Femmes is a genre worth listening to. 

💰

Users who are viewing this thread