What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1977 - Part II A New Hope DONE- Top 10 Sex Pistols, Meco, Rocky, Kraftwerk, Saints, Marvin Gaye, JM Jarre, Stranglers, John Williams & Stevie Wonder (2 Viewers)

Here are my 10 best

I would take something off of Pink Floyd's Animals; Probably Sheep

Closer to the Heart
- Rush and Xanadu by Rush

Parallels and Awaken from Yes

Dust in the Wind - Kansas

Black Cow - Steely Dan

Terrapin Station - the Dead

Scenes From an Italian Rest. (Billy Joel)

Jungle Love by SMB

Paradise by the Dashboard Light - Meatloaf

5 Honorable Mentions would be: Dreams (Fleetwood Mac),Wang Dang Sweet Poontang (Ted), Miss America (Styx), Cold as Ice - Foreigner, and Whole Lotta Rosie (AC/DC)
Couldnt wait 4 songs until I finish the ****ing countdown?

Here are my 10 best

Closer to the Heart

Black Cow - Steely Dan

Jungle Love by SMB

5 Honorable Mentions would be: Dreams (Fleetwood Mac),Wang Dang Sweet Poontang (Ted), Miss America (Styx), Cold as Ice - Foreigner, and Whole Lotta Rosie (AC/DC)

Are we going to get the last few songs?

I think we broke JML. :cry:

Here are my 10 best

Closer to the Heart

Black Cow - Steely Dan

Jungle Love by SMB

I think we broke JML. :cry:

He’s been active in the worldwide song countdown - I’m sure he’ll get back to it here.

I believe JML is on England time, so it's around midnight over there.

I believe JML is on England time, so it's around midnight over there.
Ah, so that explains the 13 day break.
Since you lovely people are so nice, i will finish.
Btw UK Time was over 10 years ago lol. Im on JML time now

#4 - Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene IV
#1 out of 9 - Electronic

Ok. Back into it. This classic from the early days of the electronic revolution showcased that you could build the sound of galaxies from your kitchen. No need to pay a fortune in expensive studio fees, with expensive producers when you could compose and record music next to to the oven. This piece from his break through album Oxygene showcased the gap between soundtrack work and the pop charts. Much more commercial in sound than Kraftwerk or Moroder and not quite as revolutionary as those 2, Jarre demonstrated along with the 12-15 minutes pieces that there was a place for catchy 4 minute Electronica.
It was brilliantly used in of all movies the breakout Mel Gibson movie Gallipoli, but is featured in lots of work. It charted well in its own right, but showcased the longer form work and eventually the mass spectacular light shows he would become renowned for peaking with using the Pyramids as a backdrop for the 12 Dreams of the the Sun performance at the turn on the millenium.

#3 - The Stranglers - No More Heroes
#1 out of 13 - Punk

I know this may not be what everyone expects a punk song to sound like with the jangly keyboards of Dave Greenfield to open with, but the frenetic bass attack from Jean-Jacques Burnel and precision of drummer Jet Black keeps pace before the grunting angry man vocals of Hugh Cornwall lead the way. After the critical and commercial success of debut album Rattus Norvegicus IV, the Stranglers wanted to capitalize on their success and get another album out quickly. The album No More Heroes is a great piece of work in its own right with their misogynistic lyrics and wry humor obvious to all. With titles like I Feel Like a Wog, Bitching, Bring on the Nubiles and Peasant in the Big shiiity, Shakespeare was not threatened. They did however let out that they were reasonably intelligent and educated by the opening burst to this song
Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an ice pick
That made his ears burn

Whatever happened to
Dear old Lenin?
The great Elmyra
And Sancho Panza?
Whatever happened to the heroes?
Whatever happened to the heroes?

A lot of punk bands used their energy up early and burnt out quickly. The Stranglers were masters of moving with the times and keeping their sound fresh and interesting. If I had my way, I load the next 100 with about 10 Stranglers songs. 3 + Celia and the Mutations will have to do.

The last 2 are much more familiar to 1977 followers. Both are recognisable and undoubtedly classics.
I am really surprised Tim missed one, but as the other one was off an album released in 1976 I can pass my concern over.

The #2 song is instantly recognisable from the opening note.

The #1 song is off an album that made #1 in 1977 and was released as a single in 1977. The single also made #1.
Only 7 albums had the distinction of being #1 in 1977 and it aint ****ing Barry Manilow

#2 - John Williams - Star Wars Main Title Theme
#1 - Soundtracks/Musicals

I know I had Meco at #9. Its a fun discofied version of this and it charted much higher. This however is the far better piece of music. Its opening notes are familiar to all and sundry and used in every Star Wars movie since (nerd correction forthcoming)
John Williams is a master at distinctive film scores and this creation is his most famous. When I think of 1977 I think of Punk and Star Wars.

#1 - Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
#1 - Black

Stevie Wonder was at a truly magical phase of his career where quality and commercial appeal were equal. This is from Songs in the Key of Life, the last of his classic period albums. The album was number one for 13 consecutive weeks, only two in 1977.
I Wish was the opening single and a cracker it was. Sir Duke was chosen as the follow up ahead of strong contenders like Isnt She Lovely and As. Sir Duke was his tribute to Duke Ellington and it reached number 1 in May 1977.

Done

Users who are viewing this thread