What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Songs of All-time (2021 Edition) (1 Viewer)

Wait that’s a real song?  I thought that was shtick you made up 

also this one sounds fictitious too

75. Pulp, 'Common People' 1996
If only I were kidding, Dan. Then it'd be funny. As it is, it breaks my heart.

Okay, it doesn't. I'm laughing stupidly.

Gasolina (2005 or so)

It has the strains of "Get Ur Freak On" by Missy Elliott, whose song appears here at number eight. It's not even an original beat.

LOLZ.

Wait that’s a real song?  I thought that was shtick you made up 

also this one sounds fictitious too

75. Pulp, 'Common People' 1996
FWIW, I was on a music nerd site back in the day that did massive polls for best song and album and this song won veeeeeeeery easily for the '95-'04 poll (I don't remember why the polls were for those time frames, maybe because decade lists and polls are done to death). 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-songs-of-all-time-1224767/

15. The Beatles, 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' 1963
14. The Kinks, 'Waterloo Sunset' 1967
13. The Rolling Stones, 'Gimme Shelter' 1969
12. Stevie Wonder, 'Superstition' 1972
11. The Beach Boys, 'God Only Knows' 1966
10. Outkast, 'Hey Ya!' 2003
09. Fleetwood Mac, 'Dreams' 1977
08. Missy Elliott, 'Get Ur Freak On' 2001
07. The Beatles, 'Strawberry Fields Forever' 1967
06. Marvin Gaye, 'What’s Going On' 1971
05. Nirvana, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' 1991
04. Bob Dylan, 'Like a Rolling Stone' 1965
03. Sam Cooke, 'A Change Is Gonna Come' 1964
02. Public Enemy, 'Fight the Power' 1989
01. Aretha Franklin, 'Respect' 1967

Arbitrarily looking at the top 15.  Some thoughts:

• Aretha - my god that woman can sing
  • Sam Cooke - this made me smile, love Sam and it's such a shame he died so young - talent-wise he's way up there but lots of folks don't know much about him.  My favorite is Bring It on Home to Me and how can anybody not love his songs in Animal House?
  • Not a big Dylan fan but since you have to have him up there they picked the right one in my book
  • That Nirvana song epitomized by teenage years
  • What's Going On - #6 but could be higher
  • I'd always have a Beatles song #1 on my all-time list but it wouldn't be Strawberry Fields - interesting choice
  • God Only Knows and Superstition are top-5 worthy songs
  • As big as my smile was for Sam Cooke, it may have been bigger for Waterloo Sunset.  Great song and I love The Kinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-songs-of-all-time-1224767/

The Top 100 :

96. Jay-Z, '99 Problems' 2003
87. LCD Soundsystem, 'All My Friends' 2007
77. The Modern Lovers, 'Roadrunner' 1976
75. Pulp, 'Common People' 1996
74. Leonard Cohen, 'Hallelujah' 1984
73. Beyoncé, 'Formation' 2016
63. Dolly Parton, 'Jolene' 1974
60. Kate Bush, 'Running Up That Hill' 1985
56. Missy Elliott, 'Work It' 2000
51. Dionne Warwick, 'Walk on By' 1964
50. Daddy Yankee feat. Glory, 'Gasolina' 2010
30. Lorde, 'Royals' 2011
20. Robyn, 'Dancing on My Own' 2010
14. The Kinks, 'Waterloo Sunset' 1967
10. Outkast, 'Hey Ya!' 2003
08. Missy Elliott, 'Get Ur Freak On' 2001
02. Public Enemy, 'Fight the Power' 1989

it's not that I don't like these songs, but they wouldn't sniff my top 100...some really odd selections here.  

7.5 BILLION views  :shock:
Oh my God. My jaw just dropped. I'm really out of touch. I know my niece and stepniece know this song by like heart. They were talking about the Spanish in it one day because my brother is married to a woman who speaks fluent Spanish and is Mexican, and they have E and K, my niece by family, and my stepniece by marriage. 

I am slacking in my pop culture knowledge. 

Oh my God. My jaw just dropped. I'm really out of touch. I know my niece and stepniece know this song by like heart. They were talking about the Spanish in it one day because my brother is married to a woman who speaks fluent Spanish and is Mexican, and they have E and K, my niece by family, and my stepniece by marriage. 

I am slacking in my pop culture knowledge. 
The Bieber version was a smash up here that completely dominated the airwaves but from what Wikipedia says, plus that play count, I'm guessing maybe the OG version won out in the US?

The Bieber version was a smash up here that completely dominated the airwaves but from what Wikipedia says, plus that play count, I'm guessing maybe the OG version won out in the US?
My stepniece growing up was a huge Belieber. Like, had seen him in concert a bunch of times with Mom, and one of the ways Mom knew she was getting older was when she took a friend (she was seventeen or eighteen) and they drove to San Diego to see him. Mom got fake verklempt, but she was serious. Growin' up! 

eta* Oh, my point was that I had no clue. Could be either, really. I'm sure she was aware of the Bieber version. 

I do not agree with many of the songs listed in the Top 100, but I can at least understand why someone may place them there.

This one however has me completely nonplussed: 

20. Robyn, 'Dancing on My Own' 2010
I'm not even saying it's some terrible song - but it's utterly forgettable and is just one of 1,000s of generic pop songs of the era. I can't imagine anyone will be listening to this song 10-20-30 years from now.

How is that the 20th best song of all-time?

Dr. Octopus said:
I do not agree with many of the songs listed in the Top 100, but I can at least understand why someone may place them there.

This one however has me completely nonplussed: 

I'm not even saying it's some terrible song - but it's utterly forgettable and is just one of 1,000s of generic pop songs of the era. I can't imagine anyone will be listening to this song 10-20-30 years from now.

How is that the 20th best song of all-time?
It's pretty easily the best song of the last 15 years and it's a huge gay anthem. It's gained a much larger life as time has passed and the Calum Scott cover was the best selling song in the UK in 2016. It isn't going anywhere. 

It's pretty easily the best song of the last 15 years and it's a huge gay anthem. It's gained a much larger life as time has passed and the Calum Scott cover was the best selling song in the UK in 2016. It isn't going anywhere. 
I listened to it - I would disagree with the "easily the best song of the last 15 years" statement, but obviously that's subjective.

Kudos for the social aspect, but sorry there is no way that song deserves a top 20 slot - maybe for the last 15 years, but all-time?

Rolling Stone can't even get The Rolling Stones right.....Can't you hear me knockin is their best song, and should be squarely in the top 10

I played this list on Spotify over the weekend while cooking in the kitchen.  I had to turn it off after 5 songs.  I don't need to hear Peggy Sue, Elvis or anything by Toto ever again. Neat list.

glad to see my wedding sing at last by etta james in there and if it were up to the swcer then under pressure by bowie and queen heart of the matter by don henly and gimme shelter by the stones would be right up at the top take that to the bank bromigos

glad to see my wedding sing at last by etta james in there and if it were up to the swcer then under pressure by bowie and queen heart of the matter by don henly and gimme shelter by the stones would be right up at the top take that to the bank bromigos
Oh SWC'er, you obviously missed the definitive Don Henley thread where I declared and was backed up by science that other than "Boys Of Summer," his solor career was terrible. 

You can't take that to the bank because I wouldn't want you to be in a bad mood, so just a pleasant reminder that I'm partially kidding. It was confirmed by science, not just backed up by. 

• Laughing
Reactions: SWC
Oh SWC'er, you obviously missed the definitive Don Henley thread where I declared and was backed up by science that other than "Boys Of Summer," his solor career was terrible. 

You can't take that to the bank because I wouldn't want you to be in a bad mood, so just a pleasant reminder that I'm partially kidding. It was confirmed by science, not just backed up by. 
I don't totally agree with your overall assessment but I am glad that Boys of Summer crosses so many boundaries and can be accepted as a great song by almost all. 

Hey, ilov, what do you mean by that? An "exercise in engagement" is too vague for some of us who aren't speaking as colloquially as you are. 
A list like this is just meant to create discussion, likes, replies, hits, etc. There is an art to a good list that will maximize interest. Include as many artists as possible to hit a wide audience. Keep some classics so you aren't viewed as crazy but include enough surprises to be interesting. Play to a younger crowd to try and get new viewers. You know, it's just a commercial for Rolling Stone. 

Weirdly, I had no idea about the song until I started perusing best of lists on the internet. That one totally missed a broad section of America, really. 
Weird, I remember that song getting some play on the radio when it came out. 

Weird, I remember that song getting some play on the radio when it came out. 
Yeah, I was admittedly in a punk rock bubble at the time. That was, what, '96? 

A list like this is just meant to create discussion, likes, replies, hits, etc. There is an art to a good list that will maximize interest. Include as many artists as possible to hit a wide audience. Keep some classics so you aren't viewed as crazy but include enough surprises to be interesting. Play to a younger crowd to try and get new viewers. You know, it's just a commercial for Rolling Stone
Total agreement here. 

KTLA daytime did a segment on it. Total commercial for the last dying husk of a magazine. 

Yeah, I was admittedly in a punk rock bubble at the time. That was, what, '96? 

Total agreement here. 

KTLA daytime did a segment on it. Total commercial for the last dying husk of a magazine. 
Kind of cool and kind of sad. Cool because now anyone can really follow their own tastes and not be subjected to the views of the "elite taste makers". Sad though because we are also seeing that a lot of people have very bad taste. 

Also confirmed by Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper, which is better than science. 

I agree. How could they blow the super easy task of looking at all the songs ever recorded, choosing the 100 best and then placing those 100 songs in the exact correct order from least to greatest?
I've seen better here

I listened to it - I would disagree with the "easily the best song of the last 15 years" statement, but obviously that's subjective.

Kudos for the social aspect, but sorry there is no way that song deserves a top 20 slot - maybe for the last 15 years, but all-time?
Generic pop song is the best song of the last 15 years?  And easily at that?  I’m with you on this - totally forgettable song.

If I had to somehow do a top 500 songs list, The Boys of Summer would be top 25.  I am not even a huge solo Henley or Eagles fan, but that song is bleeping amazing. 

Respect is a tremendous song but there are many I prefer to it. 

Of course this is the Rolling Stone Top 100 list and not Godsbrother Top 100...
Yeah it’s such a tough task. Many of the songs Trip highlighted as being ridiculous are the ones I might have highlighted as being quite deserving of their spots. It’s all a matter of taste and RS is trying to appeal to the tastes of an audience that spans 60 years, several genres of music, multiple racial backgrounds, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread