What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Classic Rock Albums of All Time: #1. Sticky Fingers (1 Viewer)

I want to say about 7 songs from Van Morrison's Moondance were played on my local CR station. I for sure heard the first 5 songs, plus Everyone and Glad Tidings. Surprised it didn't make the cut.
One of my all time favorite albums. But, like Carol King’s Tapestry and Joni Mitchell’s Blue, I have Van in a different category.

Well that concludes an effort that took many months but was a whole lot of fun. I hope that everyone reading this will forgive my various prejudices, misses, and pompousness. The main purpose of these threads, as always, is to get a discussion going, and in that if nothing else I think it was successful.

I am grateful to everyone who bothered to read any of this and even more to those who chose to contribute.
Nicely done.

Thanks to Tim for a very entertaining thread that inspired a lot of nostalgia.

Class act being the object of much criticism re: omissions, classifications, etc. and general diplomatic handling of a very subjective topic

1. The Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers (1971)

Classic rock radio hits: Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Can’t You Hear Me Knocking, *****, Sway

So we finally get to the greatest classic rock album of all time. This is where the Stones put it all together, got the most and best out of their additional guitarist Mick Taylor, and came up with their strongest collection of songs. And since The Rolling Stones at their height were the greatest classic rock band ever, their best album is THE best album.

Brown Sugar
Recorded at Muscle Shoals. One of Keith’s all time greatest guitar riffs. Sublime rock and roll.

Sway
Anthemic rock but the lyrics are so so dark. Awesome song.

Wild Horses
With the possible exception of Angie, the Stones most beautiful ballad, for which they owe some thanks to Gram Parsons. Simply gorgeous.

Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
Really two songs. The first might be the best Rolling Stones song of all time. The second, Mick Taylor’s jam session, is not as liked by many people. I think it’s terrific and amazing.

You Gotta Move
REALLY old blues cover and the band was dedicated to get it right. And they did.

This will be edited so let’s just say it rhymes with “ditch”. Another of the Stones’ best riffs ever and the use of horns here is genius.

I Got the Blues
Terrific slow blues tune. Love this.

Sister Morphine
Originally written for Marianne Faithful but this is the definitive version. Dark and one of the band’s most brilliant and significant songs ever.

Dead Flowers
Country rock effort. I adore the way this sounds.

Moonlight Mile
For all the praise I have showered on the various tunes on this record, this one is my favorite. I absolutely love every note of this amazing song, and it never gets old for me.
I never heard Can't You Hear Me Knocking on a CR station, so I heard it for the 1st time a few years ago. It is by far my favorite Stones song.

Said it before and I will say it again, the Stones are the most overrated band in the history of music.

Not picking on you, but this hits home for me. My dad was a Stones fan from the jump, had all their records, would sign and date each one he purchased and raised me on these records when my mom was out of the house (no devil music for her son). So it's in my DNA to be a Stones fan and I'm better for it.

Anyhow, one of my best friends/neighbors is a divorced guy in his 50s who just happens to look a lot like Tom Brady. He's been single 10 years now and has had quite the roller coaster ride of relationships ever since, some ups, some downs, some absolute derailments off the tracks. Like Uncle Zen, my buddy thinks the Rolling Stones are overrated and doesn't like their music, even though he's never done a deeper dive than what radio murdered over the decades.

This is going somewhere, I promise.

His new special lady friend is a real beauty, great personality too and a voice that sounds like it was tailor made for radio and TV. Super sexy gal. Turns out her very favorite band in the world, a band she's seen live 3 times with plans to make it 4 is........The Rolling Stones. And I found that out recently at a karaoke night at our neighbor's house, so naturally, I asked her what her favorite Stones' song was, thinking she'd say something well-known like Honkey Tonk Women or maybe Beast of Burden but she shocked me with her immediate response: Far Away Eyes! Wow, talk about a deeper cut!

Soon after, the two of us were belting Far Away Eyes out over wireless mics, doing our best Mick Jagger impersonations, dancing, facial features, etc. That morphed into Honkey Tonk Women and after this night of fun, you'll never EVER guess who has some new opinions about the Rolling Stones!

So maybe, Uncle Zen, you just need the magical persuasion of a lovely lass to let you know how wrong you are here. ;)

Fun thread, and thanks for pulling together.

I would have liked to see The Kinks in here (Village Green and Something Else among those that look eligible and favorites of mine). I would have had high on my personal list, but I’m guessing not enough radio hits on any one album to meet Tim’s criteria.

One thing I realized was that Steely Dan doesn't seem to be nearly as popular amongst the rock crowd as IMO their musicianship warrants.

E.g. The Royal Scam is a terrific album that got significant radio play and would be my own contribution to the omissions list. Top 50

Kid Charlemagne - radio hit, epic Larry Carlton guitar solo technically studied by guitar freaks the world over
Caves of Altamira - solid tune, moderate radio airplay, phenomenal John Klemmer sax solo
Don't Take Me Alive - radio hit, perhaps the best intro guitar solo in rock. Ever
The Fez - significant radio airplay
Green Earrings - some radio play
Haitian Divorce - radio staple
The Royal Scam - epic deep cut. unfortunately too long for popular airplay. insane trumpet solo

Said it before and I will say it again, the Stones are the most overrated band in the history of music.

Not picking on you, but this hits home for me. My dad was a Stones fan from the jump, had all their records, would sign and date each one he purchased and raised me on these records when my mom was out of the house (no devil music for her son). So it's in my DNA to be a Stones fan and I'm better for it.

Anyhow, one of my best friends/neighbors is a divorced guy in his 50s who just happens to look a lot like Tom Brady. He's been single 10 years now and has had quite the roller coaster ride of relationships ever since, some ups, some downs, some absolute derailments off the tracks. Like Uncle Zen, my buddy thinks the Rolling Stones are overrated and doesn't like their music, even though he's never done a deeper dive than what radio murdered over the decades.

His new special lady friend is a real beauty, great personality too and a voice that sounds like it was tailor made for radio and TV. Super sexy gal. Turns out her very favorite band in the world, a band she's seen live 3 times with plans to make it 4 is........The Rolling Stones. And I found that out recently at a karaoke night at our neighbor's house, so naturally, I asked her what her favorite Stones' song was, thinking she'd say something well-known like Honkey Tonk Women or maybe Beast of Burden but she shocked me with her immediate response: Far Away Eyes! Wow, talk about a deeper cut!

Soon after, the two of us were belting Far Away Eyes out over wireless mics, doing our best Mick Jagger impersonations, dancing, facial features, etc. That morphed into Honkey Tonk Women and after this night of fun, you'll never EVER guess who has some new opinions about the Rolling Stones!

So maybe, Uncle Zen, you just need the magical persuasion of a lovely lass to let you know how wrong you are here. ;)
My only complaint is that she sounds too good for him.

Thanks for the thread Tim. I expected to see Alice Cooper in the top 100. Probably Billion Dollar Babies with Hello, Hooray,the title track and No More Mr. Nice Guy because they were heard regularly on my CR station.
Did others not hear Alice on their stations?

Thanks for the thread Tim. I expected to see Alice Cooper in the top 100. Probably Billion Dollar Babies with Hello, Hooray,the title track and No More Mr. Nice Guy because they were heard regularly on my CR station.
My stations played Alice a lot.

That's a good call and one I didn't think of.

My initial reaction about the Stones being overrated was, “no way”. But the more I think about it, I can see it. Not because they aren’t good but they are so highly rated by many that puts them in a small set of bands that are even eligible to be that overrated.

I don’t put the Stones in my top 5, probably not my top 10. So if you have them as the best rock band ever there’s room to say they are overrated. Only booger eaters say like Creed is the best ever so it’s not that they are overrated - they just suck.

This makes sense in my head but maybe I’m just dumb.

My initial reaction about the Stones being overrated was, “no way”. But the more I think about it, I can see it. Not because they aren’t good but they are so highly rated by many that puts them in a small set of bands that are even eligible to be that overrated.

I don’t put the Stones in my top 5, probably not my top 10. So if you have them as the best rock band ever there’s room to say they are overrated. Only booger eaters say like Creed is the best ever so it’s not that they are overrated - they just suck.

I think they're rated right where they need to be. From record sales to radio hits to sell out stadium arenas for DECADES to the influence they have had on others to the solo projects spun out of the band....I mean other bands write songs ABOUT them. And, they've been able to set aside differences to continue on. That's incredible.

Tim, man, great job. Gave us cretins something to do when there was nothing to do. (Well, there's always something to do, but you know what I mean.) Thanks a bunch. Keep on rockin' in the free world!

I think they're rated right where they need to be. From record sales to radio hits to sell out stadium arenas for DECADES to the influence they have had on others to the solo projects spun out of the band....I mean other bands write songs ABOUT them. And, they've been able to set aside differences to continue on. That's incredible.

Yep - and I should have clarified that is my take. There’s no doubt in my mind they are at least top 3, if not #1. Just not for me. It’s like people trying to claim LeBron isn’t top 2-3 player all-time. The stats make it undeniable.

Even though the Stone have never been one of my favorite bands, I'd have a hard time calling the band that gave us Paint It Black and Gimme Shelter overrated.

Awesome thread, Tim, thanks for the effort! Brought back lots of memories.

Disco remains dead, where it belongs - at least in this thread! (who knew it turns out that was racist and homophobic ?)

See, you have an emotional connection which definitely changes everything. Kind of the same reason I am a Willie Nelson fan. As for your friend, women certainly do put things into different perspectives. For the record, I don't think they suck and I do like several of their songs. I just don't get the hype around the band.

Disco remains dead

Techno, house, dubstep, glitchpop, etc. want a word with you. So do the disco re-mixes I hear endlessly.

Disco nowhere near died. Maybe the technology changed, but it's got four on the floor and still beats through the hearts of dancing queens everywhere.
Not in this thread it doesn't, buddy.

💥💥💥💽💥💥💥

Yep - and I should have clarified that is my take. There’s no doubt in my mind they are at least top 3, if not #1. Just not for me. It’s like people trying to claim LeBron isn’t top 2-3 player all-time. The stats make it undeniable.

I tend to exit any conversation about THE BEST of anything; guitar, QB, hoops, bands. I'm not good at anything, why should I be in position to judge. They're all good and we're lucky to have them!

Stones > Beatles but it's close.

See, you have an emotional connection which definitely changes everything. Kind of the same reason I am a Willie Nelson fan. As for your friend, women certainly do put things into different perspectives. For the record, I don't think they suck and I do like several of their songs. I just don't get the hype around the band.

You ever listen to Willie's son Lukas? Got into his music recently and am a huge fan.

I like the Stones, but don't love them. There's something off-putting about Jagger's voice for me. That said, Honky Tonk Women might be one of my favorite songs of that era, which I know makes no sense considering the former. I guess in my mind, their highs are really high, but they have a lot of stuff that is an instant skip for me as well. Wild Horses is one of these.

You ever listen to Willie's son Lukas? Got into his music recently and am a huge fan.
I've seen him a couple of times playing with his Dad. I like him too but haven't heard much of his POTR music.

I like the Stones, but don't love them. There's something off-putting about Jagger's voice for me. That said, Honky Tonk Women might be one of my favorite songs of that era, which I know makes no sense considering the former. I guess in my mind, their highs are really high, but they have a lot of stuff that is an instant skip for me as well. Wild Horses is one of these.
I have never been that wild about some of their mainstays (Sympathy for the Devil, It's Only Rock and Roll), but they have so many songs that have stood the test of time with rock fans that there is something there for just about anyone to like. And there is something to be said about their good old rock and roll approach.

Thanks to this thread, I gave Sticky Fingers a fresh spin this afternoon. Highly enjoyable as always!

white guys with guitars are the apogee and everything else is.......... "else"

This would seem to be true by both recorded history and anecdotal happenings. It's pretty clear how the rock magazines were. They shaped the culture, and the culture was not friendly to alternative pop music stylings like disco and funk. That's pretty clear from the magazines themselves. As for personal happenings and anecdotes, my liking of disco back when I was listening to Nirvana in the early '90s was considered awfully weird (it was considered another word I won't use), and it wasn't until techno broke through to the mainstream and made disco acceptable to modern ears that people dropped the preconceptions they had about dance music and what it meant.

And that indeed was a function of rockists like those that wrote at Rolling Stone, Creem, etc. There was indeed a lot of "othering" going on in the rock and roll culture.
Catching up on the thread. Rock magazines like Creme were for rock. Rolling Stone gave disco a lot of exposure. I remember a lot of disco on pop stations (WLS) in Chicago in the 70’s.

If you’re sick of classic rock, I totally get that. I’m not (obviously) but many people are. My wife, who started listening to New Wave in her teens, has been sick of classic rock for 40 years. She refers to most of it as my “old man music.” And that’s fine. My only question is, if you’re sick of classic rock, why are you in this thread at all?

As to whether or not Abbey Road is classic rock, I’m stunned by the question.
I’m not sick of classic rock, I'm sick of lazy program directors playing the same 500 songs from the format.

1. The Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers (1971)

Classic rock radio hits: Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Can’t You Hear Me Knocking, *****, Sway

My stations also played Dead Flowers. Which is really a country song but the radio programmers let you get away with that if you're the Stones.

This is my favorite Stones album -- the arrangements reach a height that the band never achieved before or since. Especially on Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Moonlight Mile.

This was one of my nine "obvious" picks when I predicted your top 10. All nine of those were indeed in your top 10. I put the list together quickly and blanked on Bowie -- I thought we'd already seen Ziggy Stardust and didn't bother to double check. So I guessed Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection, because I know how much you love early Elton and I did check to see that it wasn't on the list. It would have qualified for me because my stations played Amoreena and Burn Down the Mission.

Thanks again for doing this exercise, it was fun to shoot the breeze and trash talk about the selections.

Mine did not. Only School's Out with any regularity. I'm Eighteen on rare occasions. That was it.

Mine did not. Only School's Out with any regularity. I'm Eighteen on rare occasions. That was it.
Really? That surprises me. Mine played pretty much everything off of his 1st Greatest Hits LP until it went corporate and focus-grouped itself down to about 300 songs.

I would have liked to see The Kinks in here (Village Green and Something Else among those that look eligible and favorites of mine). I would have had high on my personal list, but I’m guessing not enough radio hits on any one album to meet Tim’s criteria.
Deep Purple's missing, too - probably for the same reason.

This is why it's so hard telling the story of this radio format (or any format, really) through albums. Tim did a fine job within the parameters he set, but an alien who had never listened to CR radio would have a distorted view of what that format really sounded like. Again - I realize that wasn't tim's intent with this thread....... just saying.

This is why it's so hard telling the story of this radio format (or any format, really) through albums. Tim did a fine job within the parameters he set, but an alien who had never listened to CR radio would have a distorted view of what that format really sounded like. Again - I realize that wasn't tim's intent with this thread....... just saying.
I thought Machine Head was listed but nope, another big miss

It's #58.

Really? That surprises me. Mine played pretty much everything off of his 1st Greatest Hits LP until it went corporate and focus-grouped itself down to about 300 songs.
Yeah, they just didn't care about him in Philly for whatever reason. Either station. I have still never heard the vast majority of his catalog, even some of the songs that were "hits" in other markets.

It’s there.

This is a wise man. Horrible stuff. Not you Tim .... the Stones 🤣 Thanks for an entertaining thread
I can see people saying the Stones are overrated because they get so much praise because they are still releasing albums. From their 1st release to Some Girls they were incredible. Everything since Some Girls is pretty much garbage.

If two hits is the minimum, Low Budget would qualify with the title track, (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman and Catch Me Now I'm Falling.

I think in Canada we seemed to get more UK artists (outside of The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, etc.) on our CR stations than there was in the US.

I mentioned Sweet's Desolation Boulevard earlier in the thread. Ballroom Blitz and Fox On The Run were mainstays on CR stations.

I had no idea who Sweet was prior to this album and based on the cover alone, I thought they were an American band.

This is a wise man. Horrible stuff. Not you Tim .... the Stones 🤣 Thanks for an entertaining thread
I can see people saying the Stones are overrated because they get so much praise because they are still releasing albums. From their 1st release to Some Girls they were incredible. Everything since Some Girls is pretty much garbage.
I just don’t see the incredible. I see a band with about 10 great songs and another 10 good songs. I would like to see there top 25 songs by the posters here. Sorry if that was already done and I skipped that thread or forgot about it.

Users who are viewing this thread