What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Classic Rock Albums of All Time: #1. Sticky Fingers (2 Viewers)

That article was around 2017. Since then, the lawsuit between McCartney and Sony was settled and they entered into a confidential agreement about the publishing rights to those Bealtes songs in question in America. It stands that way until this day.

If you’re sick of classic rock, I totally get that. I’m not (obviously) but many people are. My wife, who started listening to New Wave in her teens, has been sick of classic rock for 40 years. She refers to most of it as my “old man music.” And that’s fine. My only question is, if you’re sick of classic rock, why are you in this thread at all?

As to whether or not Abbey Road is classic rock, I’m stunned by the question.

My area did not see the hippie Beatles as traditional classic rock worthy of classic rock stations. But things are regional and local in that regard. Like Doug B or Uruk mentioned, the pre-'65 Beatles were relegated to the oldies stations, while the later stuff just didn't have a market where I was. I didn't hear much Abbey Road on the radio, if at all. Now, you being a big city L.A. guy might have had that experience, but I didn't.

My only question is, if you’re sick of classic rock, why are you in this thread at all?

The same reasons cats die. Curiosity.

That article was around 2017. Since then, the lawsuit between McCartney and Sony was settled and they entered into a confidential agreement about the publishing rights to those Bealtes songs in question in America. It stands that way until this day.

Minions was being animated/voiced in 2014 for a summer 2015 release ... so let's see. According to the Billboard article you linked:

Michael Jackson's estate still owned 25% of the song rights, with Sony owning the remaining 75%. A company with as many properties and assets as NBC-Universal probably is in a good position to offer attractive quid pro quo deals with other entertainment companies. Just speculating, but in the end (no pun intended), NBC-Universal probably didn't sweat negotiations for the use of the Beatles songs in Minions.

If you’re sick of classic rock, I totally get that. I’m not (obviously) but many people are. My wife, who started listening to New Wave in her teens, has been sick of classic rock for 40 years. She refers to most of it as my “old man music.” And that’s fine. My only question is, if you’re sick of classic rock, why are you in this thread at all?

I am not sick of all of it and there’s a time for it all. Plus I spent 25+ years listening to it, reading about it, etc so even it’s worn a little thin for me, I still have a lot invested in it.

As for classic rock, it’s not to say AR isn’t classic rock. It just isn’t the most radio friendly album. I was kind of viewing this countdown and classic rock in general through a lens of what classic rock stations played.

My area did not see the hippie Beatles as traditional classic rock worthy of classic rock stations. But things are regional and local in that regard. Like Doug B or Uruk mentioned, the pre-'65 Beatles were relegated to the oldies stations, while the later stuff just didn't have a market where I was. I didn't hear much Abbey Road on the radio, if at all. Now, you being a big city L.A. guy might have had that experience, but I didn't.

My only question is, if you’re sick of classic rock, why are you in this thread at all?

The same reasons cats die. Curiosity.
Come Together is the only AR song I remember getting classic rock radio play. Maybe, maybe Here Comes the Sun.

Like Doug B or Uruk mentioned, the pre-'65 Beatles were relegated to the oldies stations, while the later stuff just didn't have a market where I was. I didn't hear much Abbey Road on the radio, if at all.

And to be clear, I meant that was the state of play throughout 1980s classic rock radio in our local markets.

By the mid-1990s, pretty much all the Beatles catalog was classified as Oldies. Afterwards, some individual Beatles tracks occasionally sprouted through on this station or that but they were no longer mainstays of the CR playlists.

As far as terrestrial radio airplay goes ... my impression is that the Beatles song with the most staying power has been "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Does that ring true for others?

Come Together is the only AR song I remember getting classic rock radio play

This was the only one I could think of that was an exception. Definitely heard this song on the radio. The oldies stations played "Here Comes The Sun" where I was from, breaking the '65 rule to smithereens.

And to be clear, I meant that was the state of play throughout 1980s classic rock radio in our local markets.

Yep, only I can relate because you're not that much older than me (I thought you were actually older) and we probably have similar timeframes. Our area also had the '65 rule intact. I never heard anything off of Revolver on the oldies stations. Rubber Soul was cool, but not Revolver. Very weird now that I think about it.

I was kind of viewing this countdown and classic rock in general through a lens of what classic rock stations played.

Don't forget the time element, though -- "What classic rock stations played when that radio format was young" versus what those stations played in the 35 years since. It's been a moving target, especially since the late 1990s.

Our area also had the '65 rule intact. I never heard anything off of Revolver on the oldies stations. Rubber Soul was cool, but not Revolver. Very weird now that I think about it.
Hmm, that's kind of an inversion -- Rubber Soul was '65, Revolver was '66. Rubber Soul probably had more CR radio tracks, though.

I can't believe kids aren't listening to the music their grandfathers grew up on? Come on this isn't hard to figure out. The 60s were 60 years ago. In the 80s and 90s where you lamenting the death of music from the 20s and 30s? Also classic rock has had quote a hold on popular music for a long time. I don't feel bad if it fades to the background. TBH, I am sick of 90% of it. I don't like T Swift either but if I never heard another Zeppelin or Pink Floyd song again, I would be fine.

I saw that picture of you - you are like 25, GTFO with this nonsense! ;)

Just for the record, I love women in rock! I am pretty sure I was the 1st person in high school to buy "Look What the Cat Dragged In" by Poison. Also, unless Tim surprises us, Joan Jett's I Love Rock and Roll was a pretty good album.

I can't believe kids aren't listening to the music their grandfathers grew up on? Come on this isn't hard to figure out. The 60s were 60 years ago. In the 80s and 90s where you lamenting the death of music from the 20s and 30s? Also classic rock has had quote a hold on popular music for a long time. I don't feel bad if it fades to the background. TBH, I am sick of 90% of it. I don't like T Swift either but if I never heard another Zeppelin or Pink Floyd song again, I would be fine.

My 15 year old plays Money on the bass and a lot of his favorite stuff isnt quite classic rock but he’s definitely more into 80s metal and 90s grunge than he is any newer stuff so he still listening to stuff that’s 30-40 years old
He’s even rocking Mr Bungle shirts and actually knows who they are

My 15 year old plays Money on the bass and a lot of his favorite stuff isnt quite classic rock but he’s definitely more into 80s metal and 90s grunge than he is any newer stuff so he still listening to stuff that’s 30-40 years old
That seems pretty standard. In the 90s, music from the 50s-60s-70s was very popular and cool. So that was 20-40 year old range as well. Teen seen to usually appreciate their parents music, it’s their grandparents music where it starts to get to be a tougher sell. But of course we are generalizing as well.

That seems pretty standard. In the 90s, music from the 50s-60s-70s was very popular and cool. So that was 20-40 year old range as well. Teen seen to usually appreciate their parents music, it’s their grandparents music where it starts to get to be a tougher sell. But of course we are generalizing as well.

Fair but I’d also argue that music from the 60s to the now isn’t all that much different compared to the 20s to the 60s, especially what I would consider Rock

Fair but I’d also argue that music from the 60s to the now isn’t all that much different compared to the 20s to the 60s, especially what I would consider Rock

This is the first thing that crosses my mind whenever generational arguments are advanced as a reason for kids not liking music from sixty years ago.

he’ll pull some pretty obscure stuff like Acid Bath and Pig Destroyer

I have never heard of Acid Bath. Pig Destroyer, yes.

Just for the record, I love women in rock! I am pretty sure I was the 1st person in high school to buy "Look What the Cat Dragged In" by Poison. Also, unless Tim surprises us, Joan Jett's I Love Rock and Roll was a pretty good album.
I’m pretty sure Poison looked like women but those were men, biologically.

My radio time was listening to the ball game. I transitioned to country

LOL at you making 100 derogatory posts in here about others' tastes on rock and then drop this bombshell.
Sorry man....loved the baseball and even hockey. I think I got too much MTV during the day and wanted to hear something different on the radio when a game wasn't on. Only last a few years and strangely enough I detest country now. My youngest got me into rap now he won't listen to it and loves country.

How far forward do FM classic rock channels go now? The only time I hear one of these channels any more is when one of the guys in our shop will tune in. It's one of those corporate, voice-tracked channels with a name like The Fox. I've heard them play up through the grunge bands, but haven't noticed anything later. In fact, it seems to be almost all 80s (hair bands, Metallica, etc..) & early 90s with a few "harder" 70s acts (Zep, Sabbath, and the like) sprinkled in. Is that the case generally with these channels nowadays?

@Doug B has done yeoman's work in this thread outlining the growth and change that this radio format has undergone. His (& @Pip's Invitation 's) experiences are closest to mine in what those stations played.

FM Oldies kind of followed the same path, except a few years earlier than CR radio (I'm guessing the same corporations bought up the channels in both formats, which makes sense given how similar the changes were). In the early 80s, when Oldies became a widespread format on FM, they exclusively played stuff from 1954-1963. By the late 80s, they had scrapped almost all of the 50s stuff and a bunch of early 60s in favor of late 60s and into the early 70s. Nowadays, it's labeled as "classic hits" and is mainly 80s-and-beyond.

Right but “today’s music” is electronic and hip hop based. I think it sounds much different than the rock music of 1968.

How far forward do FM classic rock channels go now? The only time I hear one of these channels any more is when one of the guys in our shop will tune in. It's one of those corporate, voice-tracked channels with a name like The Fox. I've heard them play up through the grunge bands, but haven't noticed anything later. In fact, it seems to be almost all 80s (hair bands, Metallica, etc..) & early 90s with a few "harder" 70s acts (Zep, Sabbath, and the like) sprinkled in. Is that the case generally with these channels nowadays?

@Doug B has done yeoman's work in this thread outlining the growth and change that this radio format has undergone. His (& @Pip's Invitation 's) experiences are closest to mine in what those stations played.

FM Oldies kind of followed the same path, except a few years earlier than CR radio (I'm guessing the same corporations bought up the channels in both formats, which makes sense given how similar the changes were). In the early 80s, when Oldies became a widespread format on FM, they exclusively played stuff from 1954-1963. By the late 80s, they had scrapped almost all of the 50s stuff and a bunch of early 60s in favor of late 60s and into the early 70s. Nowadays, it's labeled as "classic hits" and is mainly 80s-and-beyond.
I kind of surprised at the staying power of this era and genre. I here a lot of the classic rock you outline above in stores in the background.

I kind of surprised at the staying power of this era and genre. I here a lot of the classic rock you outline above in stores in the background.
It'll peter out, though, as Boomers and Gen Xers die off. It'll still be around some, like big band music is - just not as ubiquitous.

To touch on what has been discussed, aside from a classics show where a station would play the Side 2 medley or something like that, the only songs from Abbey Road I ever heard on classic rock were Come Together, Something and Here Comes the Sun. Saying the entire album is classic rock staples is just not correct. Don't get me wrong, the album is still tremendous, but this is NOT a Boston or Dark Side or LZ4 where every (or almost every) song was a classic rock radio staple.

Some of that is just because the music industry was so primitive in the 1920s. I could draw a pretty convincing direct line from Armstrong to Hendrix.

As @Ilov80s noted above, the foundation for most of today's popular music is beat-and-electronic driven. It's actually been that way for over 40 years, but the Keepers Of The Flame kept propping up guitar-based music long past its expiration date.

Poptimism became the dominant musically correct ideology and leaves its infernal stink on these very boards. I won't say who I'm thinking of, but it's obvious given her fervent supporters.
I have no idea why you decided to come into this thread to rip on Taylor Swift but you’re so wrong. She’s actually the musical heir to the Fleetwood Mac albums listed here- if you won’t take my word for that, ask Stevie Nicks.
He has Taylor Swift Derangement Syndrome. It's an illness that affects a lot of men these days who cannot stand that a female musician is now the ruling the music world.
You mean like Brittany spears. And pink. And lady Gaga. And Rihanna. Of course they rule the world for short term. 50% of the western world is women that want to listen to pop. I don’t hear many Brittany songs on the radio these days. Pop is a fleeting thing.

Cincinnati still has a classic rock station, interestingly enough called The Fox, but it's still a lot of the same they were playing 20 years ago but with some 90's mixed in. I don't really listen to it though, I just checked their website and looked at the last 30 songs played:
Whitesnake
Bad Co
Collective Sould
Thorogood
Skid Row
ZZ Top
Skynyrd
Ozzy
Bon Jovi
Styx
Police
Black Crowes
Stones
REM
Nazareth
Dire Straits
Queen
Bad Co
Skynyrd
Bad Co (again already??)
Rush
Stones
Floyd
Aerosmith
Living Colour
Aerosmith
Who
Rush
Doors
Zep

1. The Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers (1971)

Classic rock radio hits: Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Can’t You Hear Me Knocking, *****, Sway

So we finally get to the greatest classic rock album of all time. This is where the Stones put it all together, got the most and best out of their additional guitarist Mick Taylor, and came up with their strongest collection of songs. And since The Rolling Stones at their height were the greatest classic rock band ever, their best album is THE best album.

Brown Sugar
Recorded at Muscle Shoals. One of Keith’s all time greatest guitar riffs. Sublime rock and roll.

Sway
Anthemic rock but the lyrics are so so dark. Awesome song.

Wild Horses
With the possible exception of Angie, the Stones most beautiful ballad, for which they owe some thanks to Gram Parsons. Simply gorgeous.

Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
Really two songs. The first might be the best Rolling Stones song of all time. The second, Mick Taylor’s jam session, is not as liked by many people. I think it’s terrific and amazing.

You Gotta Move
REALLY old blues cover and the band was dedicated to get it right. And they did.

This will be edited so let’s just say it rhymes with “ditch”. Another of the Stones’ best riffs ever and the use of horns here is genius.

I Got the Blues
Terrific slow blues tune. Love this.

Sister Morphine
Originally written for Marianne Faithful but this is the definitive version. Dark and one of the band’s most brilliant and significant songs ever.

Dead Flowers
Country rock effort. I adore the way this sounds.

Moonlight Mile
For all the praise I have showered on the various tunes on this record, this one is my favorite. I absolutely love every note of this amazing song, and it never gets old for me.

Well that concludes an effort that took many months but was a whole lot of fun. I hope that everyone reading this will forgive my various prejudices, misses, and pompousness. The main purpose of these threads, as always, is to get a discussion going, and in that if nothing else I think it was successful.

I am grateful to everyone who bothered to read any of this and even more to those who chose to contribute.

9/10 in my predicted top 10, but some positions off. My predictions revealed so far:

10. Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
9. Exile on Main Street - Stones
8. Who's Next - Who
7. Led Zeppelin II - LZ
6. Abbey Road - Beatles
5. Sticky Fingers - Stones
4. The White Album - Beatles
3. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
2. Led Zeppelin IV - LZ
1. Revolver - Beatles - ineligible since it was released in 1966

To be clear, this would not have been my top 10, but it's what I predicted Tim's would be.

Last edited:
Well that concludes an effort that took many months but was a whole lot of fun. I hope that everyone reading this will forgive my various prejudices, misses, and pompousness. The main purpose of these threads, as always, is to get a discussion going, and in that if nothing else I think it was successful.

I am grateful to everyone who bothered to read any of this and even more to those who chose to contribute.

Thanks for doing it, Tim. It has been an enjoyable thread.

Even though I don't agree with some of the choices and rankings I appreciate and thank you for all your time and effort!

Great thread Tim. I enjoyed every day of it and it was great revisiting or visiting these albums again. You take a lot of #### and appreciate you still pushing through and doing the research and posting and sharing. Well done, sir.

I had 9 of the top 10 (I forgot about the parameters and thought Revolver would be in there instead of The White Album).

I wouldn't have put the Stones at number 1 or even in the top 10, but Sticky Fingers is the one album of theirs I like from start to finish, so it's a solid choice.

Poptimism became the dominant musically correct ideology and leaves its infernal stink on these very boards. I won't say who I'm thinking of, but it's obvious given her fervent supporters.
I have no idea why you decided to come into this thread to rip on Taylor Swift but you’re so wrong. She’s actually the musical heir to the Fleetwood Mac albums listed here- if you won’t take my word for that, ask Stevie Nicks.
He has Taylor Swift Derangement Syndrome. It's an illness that affects a lot of men these days who cannot stand that a female musician is now the ruling the music world.
You mean like Brittany spears. And pink. And lady Gaga. And Rihanna. Of course they rule the world for short term. 50% of the western world is women that want to listen to pop. I don’t hear many Brittany songs on the radio these days. Pop is a fleeting thing.
To touch on this a bit more, I agree that pop is often a fleeting thing, but I think those who are not following Swift and her tour this year do not realize how massive she is now. She is not a Britney or Lady Gaga, who had their little run of being the biggest and then faded a bit; she has been huge since the late 00s and has simply reached a level now that many are saying puts her on a level with Beatlemania and Michael Jackson. I know that sounds crazy to the non-fans, but it's the reality. How massive she is now can be illustrated by looking at this year's tour. Beyonce is one of the biggest music stars of the last 20 years, and even her tour got lapped by Swift when it came to demand - tickets for all Beyonce shows from brokers/scalpers could be gotten for 70 or 80 bucks for the cheap seats; the cheapest seats for Swift's shows from brokers/scalpers were around $1,000 and many were a bit higher. The demand was and still is out of this world (don't believe me, go to Stubhub and look at the prices for any of the shows here in NA next fall). I would also consider that her career now has lasted twice as long as that of the Beatles (when they were active) and nearly twice as long as Zeppelin. Not making direct comparisons obviously, just demonstrating that she has already achieved longevity when compared to some of the sacred cows of the past. Many pop stars are a fleeting thing for sure, but she is not.

(in before the usual snide remarks from the peanut gallery)

Thanks to Tim for finding an interesting way to kill a few months. I think casualties were light, and the list was mostly solid with not that many nits to pick. I will take my victory lap now . . . 10 for 10 on my Top 10 guesses.

I will be starting a different albums list covering the same time frame in the next few days in an effort to incorporate more albums / artists with less agitation over the actual rankings. People will likely still squabble and bicker, but they won't be able to complain about the order that the albums are listed in. (Well, let's just say they shouldn't be able to.)

As for Sticky Fingers, it contains by far my favorite Stones song (Can't You Hear Me Knocking). Part of the reason I like it so much is that it doesn't really sound like other Stones songs. The interplay between the guitar, bass, drums, and sax is awesome. I probably wouldn't have picked this album as the #1 album, but there's no denying that the Stones were a classic rock staple.

I want to say about 7 songs from Van Morrison's Moondance were played on my local CR station. I for sure heard the first 5 songs, plus Everyone and Glad Tidings. Surprised it didn't make the cut.

Great thread. Thanks for doing it. I was reminded how much I loved the local classic rock station in the 80s. I miss how diverse they were. They played a much broader catalog that included Motown and stuff that eventually went to oldies stations (The Beach Boys, The Animals). It's a bummer that they morphed into a sort of homogenous sound with a smaller playset.

Users who are viewing this thread