What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Classic Rock Albums of All Time: #1. Sticky Fingers (1 Viewer)

Everything since Some Girls is pretty much garbage.

Tattoo You gets love in critical circles nowadays.
Tattoo You was a bunch of studio outtakes from the 70s. The band was feuding and couldn't/wouldn't be in the studio at the same time to polish up the outtakes, so some tracks were just used as is.

I can't remember who said it, but I remember somebody saying at the time The Stones could release an album full of "clicks and farts" and critics would rave about it and it would sell a million copies.

Said it before and I will say it again, the Stones are the most overrated band in the history of music.
This is a wise man. Horrible stuff. Not you Tim .... the Stones 🤣 Thanks for an entertaining thread
I can see people saying the Stones are overrated because they get so much praise because they are still releasing albums. From their 1st release to Some Girls they were incredible. Everything since Some Girls is pretty much garbage.
I just don’t see the incredible. I see a band with about 10 great songs and another 10 good songs. I would like to see there top 25 songs by the posters here. Sorry if that was already done and I skipped that thread or forgot about it.
I could list 25 great Stones songs off the top of my head. But, it would be pointless because you are "dug in" on your position and it won't sway your opinion.

What was the time frame again because it seems to me that Blizzard of Ozz is a major miss? That album had many hits and came with a lawsuit as well.

Said it before and I will say it again, the Stones are the most overrated band in the history of music.
This is a wise man. Horrible stuff. Not you Tim .... the Stones 🤣 Thanks for an entertaining thread
I can see people saying the Stones are overrated because they get so much praise because they are still releasing albums. From their 1st release to Some Girls they were incredible. Everything since Some Girls is pretty much garbage.
I just don’t see the incredible. I see a band with about 10 great songs and another 10 good songs. I would like to see there top 25 songs by the posters here. Sorry if that was already done and I skipped that thread or forgot about it.
I could list 25 great Stones songs off the top of my head. But, it would be pointless because you are "dug in" on your position and it won't sway your opinion.
Not true. I don’t hate the Stones but think they are overrated. I love a few of their tunes. I play in a cover band and an acoustic duo and play some Stones tunes. Great thing about covering the Stones is that their songs are easy to sing since Jagger has such a limited vocal range.

I’m always open to new music. I was never a Neil Young fan and thought his music was weird. I followed Pips Neil thread during the pandemic and now listen to Neil for an hour or two every week.

Not true. I don’t hate the Stones but think they are overrated. I love a few of their tunes. I play in a cover band and an acoustic duo and play some Stones tunes. Great thing about covering the Stones is that their songs are easy to sing since Jagger has such a limited vocal range.

I’m always open to new music. I was never a Neil Young fan and thought his music was weird. I followed Pips Neil thread during the pandemic and now listen to Neil for an hour or two every week.
OK, my mistake, I may have confused you with another poster because there were a few saying they didn't like the Stones or they are overrated.
I'm not putting them in any particular order and this is just off the top of my head, but here's 25 from the Stones:
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Gimme Shelter
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Brown Sugar
Satisfaction
Wild Horses
Angie
Paint It Black
Sympathy For The Devil
Street Fighting Man
Honky Tonk Women
Tumblin' Dice
Under My Thumb
Ruby Tuesday
Out Of Time
You Can’t Always Get What You Want
Beast Of Burden
Let's Spend The Night Together
Get Off My Cloud
It's All Over Now
Let It Bleed
It's Only Rock n Roll (But I Like It)
Mother's Little Helper
Some Girls

What was the time frame again because it seems to me that Blizzard of Ozz is a major miss? That album had many hits and came with a lawsuit as well.
I think it was 1967 to 1981.
Then Blizzard should have been included.
I don't see Tim as being a big solo Ozzy fan, but it could be argued that Blizzard is more an "80s album" (since it kick started Ozzy's solo career, who flourished in that decade) than a classic rock record. Semantics, but I am just spitballing. Diary of a Madman is better anyway. :D

My top 25 Stones songs off the top of my head, in loose order:
  1. Gimme Shelter
  2. Sympathy for the Devil
  3. Miss You
  4. Beast of Burden
  5. Wild Horses
  6. You Can't Always Get What You Want
  7. Under My Thumb
  8. Paint It Black
  9. Satisfaction
  10. Midnight Rambler
  11. Start Me Up
  12. It's Only Rock N' Roll
  13. Let's Spend the Night Together
  14. Honky Tonk Women
  15. Emotional Rescue
  16. Get Off of My Cloud
  17. Angie
  18. 19th Nervous Breakdown
  19. Brown Sugar
  20. Love is Strong
  21. Fool To Cry
  22. Rock and a Hard Place
  23. It's All Over Now
  24. Shattered
  25. Mother's Little Helper
I like them, they are not in my top 25 artists, probably in my top 50. They were great in concert when I saw them in 1989 (IIRC).

That's a good list, @Just Win Baby. My top would probably be Gimme Shelter, Paint It Black, Can' You Hear Me Knocking, Moonlight Mile and Mother's Little Helper. Not sure what order the next 10 or so would be, but I will cop to being a huge fan of Undercover of the Night; MTV played the daylights out of the video and I always loved the song.

I am not even a massive Stones guy but I would add Out of Time, Tumbling Dice, As Tears Go By, Play with Fire, Rip this Joint, Street Fighting Man, The Last Time

I don't see Tim as being a big solo Ozzy fan, but it could be argued that Blizzard is more an "80s album" (since it kick started Ozzy's solo career, who flourished in that decade) than a classic rock record. Semantics, but I am just spitballing. Diary of a Madman is better anyway. :D
Ha! Not even close!

@timschochet - curious where some newer classic albums would land on your list. I’ve started hearing PJ’s Ten and Nirvana’s Nevermind on the local classic station.

I personally always have a hard time comparing albums that far apart. I’m much more of a 60’s and 70’s rock guy but those two I mentioned are ones I would put really high on my list - probably mid to late top 10.

Classic rock radio didn’t touch acts like Ozzy until the late 1990s, if then. Even Black Sabbath itself was iffy and wasn’t on every CR station.

Classic rock radio didn’t touch acts like Ozzy until the late 1990s, if then. Even Black Sabbath itself was iffy and wasn’t on every CR station.
Yep. My stations really only played Iron Man and Paranoid from the Sabbath catalog.

Ozzy’s current singles would sometimes get played, but Crazy Train was the only one that became a fixture long after its release.

Yep. My stations really only played Iron Man and Paranoid from the Sabbath catalog.
If they went "deep" overnight, you might hear "War Pigs".
I guess. I never heard it until adulthood.
The funny thing about Sabbath was that they got very little airplay when they were current. "Paranoid" made the charts as a single, but I don't think anything else did. The free form channels wouldn't touch them because the hippie DJs hated them. Grand Funk had the same deal until Todd got ahold of them and they started having pop hits. Black Sabbath never got to that point and it amazes me how popular they were with no radio format tailored for them.

The funny thing about Sabbath was that they got very little airplay when they were current. "Paranoid" made the charts as a single, but I don't think anything else did. The free form channels wouldn't touch them because the hippie DJs hated them. Grand Funk had the same deal until Todd got ahold of them and they started having pop hits. Black Sabbath never got to that point and it amazes me how popular they were with no radio format tailored for them.
Their career path was more like the Grateful Dead's than you might expect.

Their career path was more like the Grateful Dead's than you might expect.
The Dead was getting airplay, though

Rush Permanent Waves was a huge oversight. Spirit of Radio and Freewill were huge classic rock hits. Maybe only one miss on that album.
I would put forward Moving Pictures by Rush as well. Tom Sawyer and Limelight were huge hits for the band. I think even casual Rush fans know the songs. They were fixtures on Canadian CR stations.
Moving Pictures made the list.

Personally I would have had 2112, Hemispheres, and Farewell to Kings on the list.

I was actually a bit surprised that Moving Pictures made Tim's list at all. A second Rush album there would have been too big of an ask for Tim. :lol:

I knew they had no shot, but seeing no Blue Oyster Cult is a slight bummer for this hardcore fan.

I was actually a bit surprised that Moving Pictures made Tim's list at all. A second Rush album there would have been too big of an ask for Tim. :lol:

I knew they had no shot, but seeing no Blue Oyster Cult is a slight bummer for this hardcore fan.
I thought Agents Of Fortune might have had a shot being ranked in the 90’s somewhere, although I like Fire Of Unknown Origin and Secret Treaties more. BOC is my favorite group.

Tim had a requirement of a minimum of two CR hits for an album to qualify for his top 100. It might be interesting to look at CR albums that only had one CR hit, but it was a monster.
Golden Earring - Moontan with Radar Love immediately comes to mind.

The mention of BOC -Agents Of Fortune brought this to mind because I only remember hearing Don’t Fear The Reaper from that one.

ETA -Another album/artist that was played a lot on Canadian CR stations (not sure about in the USA) was Nazareth - Hair Of The Dog. The title track and Love Hurts were in regular rotation on CR stations.

Last edited:
Tim had a requirement of a minimum of two CR hits for an album to qualify for his top 100. It might be interesting to look at CR albums that only had one CR hit, but it was a monster.

The mention of BOC -Agents Of Fortune brought this to mind because I only remember hearing Don’t Fear The Reaper from that one.
The problem with the two CR hits standard is that varies from station to station, area to area.

I will use Exile on Main Street as an example again. I never heard this album until maybe 20 years ago, and when I did, I recognized one song from it (I might have thought two when I discussed this earlier, but I went back and looked & it's just one). One. Tumbling Dice was the only song played on stations around here, and even that was on the lower rung of Stones CR hits that got played. So, you can pretty much list any rock album here from the time period alloted and say, "But I heard all these songs played!!" Ultimately, it's not a big deal, as the whole point of this is just to chat about the tunes, but it's hard to take the parameters too seriously when looking at some of the albums that made the top 100.

The problem with the two CR hits standard is that varies from station to station, area to area.

I will use Exile on Main Street as an example again. I never heard this album until maybe 20 years ago, and when I did, I recognized one song from it (I might have thought two when I discussed this earlier, but I went back and looked & it's just one). One. Tumbling Dice was the only song played on stations around here, and even that was on the lower rung of Stones CR hits that got played. So, you can pretty much list any rock album here from the time period alloted and say, "But I heard all these songs played!!" Ultimately, it's not a big deal, as the whole point of this is just to chat about the tunes, but it's hard to take the parameters too seriously when looking at some of the albums that made the top 100.
Of course everyone is also relying on their memories regarding what was being played "back in the day".

@timschochet - curious where some newer classic albums would land on your list. I’ve started hearing PJ’s Ten and Nirvana’s Nevermind on the local classic station.

I personally always have a hard time comparing albums that far apart. I’m much more of a 60’s and 70’s rock guy but those two I mentioned are ones I would put really high on my list - probably mid to late top 10.
Great question. I honestly don’t know. I imagine the two albums you mentioned would certainly have to be ranked, along with Appetite for Destruction and maybe a few others. I deliberately stopped in 1981 for two reasons: first because it was just too much to consider, and second because I’m old school (or maybe just old is more like it,)

Yeah...I don't recall any Beatles on KSHE, much less two hits in the rotation.

KSHE went in spurts with certain artists. I cannot remember which year it was, but it was sometime in the early 90s when a bunch of us were hanging at a friend's all day before a concert that night and he had KSHE cranked all day. It became a running joke as to how many Tom Petty songs they were going to play that day, as they were seemingly playing him once or twice an hour. Fast forward to a year later and they had stopped playing him much at all except for Breakdown and Refugee. Same thing with Springsteen. They went through a spell where they played him a lot and then back to almost never playing him except for Born to Run on occasion. Rush, VH, Zeppelin, Floyd were always the biggies who got played a lot no matter what year it was. And to be fair to the Beatles, KSHE was usually more of a hard rock station than a classic rock one. 93.7 here in STL was the bigger classic rock station in the 90s, but even they didn't play that much by the Beatles. The Beatles were more likely to be played on an oldies station than a classic rock one.

KSHE went in spurts with certain artists. I cannot remember which year it was, but it was sometime in the early 90s when a bunch of us were hanging at a friend's all day before a concert that night and he had KSHE cranked all day. It became a running joke as to how many Tom Petty songs they were going to play that day, as they were seemingly playing him once or twice an hour. Fast forward to a year later and they had stopped playing him much at all except for Breakdown and Refugee. Same thing with Springsteen. They went through a spell where they played him a lot and then back to almost never playing him except for Born to Run on occasion. Rush, VH, Zeppelin, Floyd were always the biggies who got played a lot no matter what year it was. And to be fair to the Beatles, KSHE was usually more of a hard rock station than a classic rock one. 93.7 here in STL was the bigger classic rock station in the 90s, but even they didn't play that much by the Beatles. The Beatles were more likely to be played on an oldies station than a classic rock one.
This is certainly coloring my thinking or clouding my judgement depending on your stance.

I don't think I've ever heard the Beatles on 99.7 (The Big Ol' Hairy FOX...Lol) here in Charlotte.

On 95.7 (The Ride with obligatory motocycle sound) the recent play list included Here Comes The Sun, American Woman, Blondie The Tide Is High, and Alice Cooper No More Mr. Nice Guy. Some call that station classic hits, others a mix of AOR and Oldies. Not sure if that helps of hurts my Beatles agrument.

Ha! Not even close!
I meant to reply to this before...

Diary of a Madman has no fat; it is all good stuff from start to finish, and has some great highs.

Blizzard has as many equally amazing highs, but has three songs I find pretty skippable/forgettable.

My top 25 Stones songs off the top of my head, in loose order:
  1. Gimme Shelter
  2. Sympathy for the Devil
  3. Miss You
  4. Beast of Burden
  5. Wild Horses
  6. You Can't Always Get What You Want
  7. Under My Thumb
  8. Paint It Black
  9. Satisfaction
  10. Midnight Rambler
  11. Start Me Up
  12. It's Only Rock N' Roll
  13. Let's Spend the Night Together
  14. Honky Tonk Women
  15. Emotional Rescue
  16. Get Off of My Cloud
  17. Angie
  18. 19th Nervous Breakdown
  19. Brown Sugar
  20. Love is Strong
  21. Fool To Cry
  22. Rock and a Hard Place
  23. It's All Over Now
  24. Shattered
  25. Mother's Little Helper
I like them, they are not in my top 25 artists, probably in my top 50. They were great in concert when I saw them in 1989 (IIRC).
Sister Morphine, Jigsaw Puzzle, Torn and Frayed, Sweet Virginia, Loving Cup are in my Top 10. Monkey Man is up there too, probably Top 10. And none of these are on your list. Guess that's what makes the Stones pretty special.

Last edited:
I finally gave Let It Bleed a full listen. Good album for sure; I enjoyed almost all of it. I was surprised by how much I liked Midnight Rambler given the prominence of the harmonica (which is an instrument I sometimes I like and other times cannot stand).

Jim Ladd, legendary DJ, died yesterday. He was 75.

He was the star DJ at KMET locally for years- KMET was a hard rock station (“classic rock” hadn’t started yet) that was biggest in the late 70s and early 80s. His voice was a part of my youth.

Someone on the radio just now mentioned that the night John Lennon was murdered, Ladd stayed on the air all night long, playing Beatles songs and telling stories. I actually remember listening to that.

He was the star DJ at KMET locally for years- KMET was a hard rock station (“classic rock” hadn’t started yet) that was biggest in the late 70s and early 80s. His voice was a part of my youth.

Someone on the radio just now mentioned that the night John Lennon was murdered, Ladd stayed on the air all night long, playing Beatles songs and telling stories. I actually remember listening to that.
Isn't Ladd who Petty wrote "Last DJ" about?

Missed this post - just posted in the RIP thread. Definitely a distinctive voice/delivery. I associate him most from his appearance on Roger Waters’ Radio K.A.O.S album.

Isn't Ladd who Petty wrote "Last DJ" about?
Yup

OMG Rod Stewart over Van Halen, Are You Experienced, Wish You Were Here, Moving Pictures, etc. for "classic rock"... this is a joke, right?

in defense of timbo here ...

I commented before when it was first posted - this album is classic rock - and in fact, is a cornerstone of classic rock.

I happened into this track today and thought of the previous conversation. Early Rod is the Faces, a classic rock band.

Submitted for proof - the lead track of the album

Every Picture Tells A Story

OMG Rod Stewart over Van Halen, Are You Experienced, Wish You Were Here, Moving Pictures, etc. for "classic rock"... this is a joke, right?

I commented before when it was first posted - this album is classic rock - and in fact, is a cornerstone of classic rock.

I happened into this track today and thought of the previous conversation. Early Rod is the Faces, a classic rock band.

WTF Dude

WTF Dude

:lmao: you wanna go fella?? you feelin' frisky??

Users who are viewing this thread