What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maximum Age for Voting and Running for Office (1 Viewer)

Maximum Voting Age

• Yes

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • No

Votes: 50 84.7%

• Total voters

AAABatteries

Footballguy
Instead of continuing to hijack the Blackburn thread, I thought I'd start a new topic.

What is your opinion on the idea of a maximum voting age?

Personally, I see some good arguments for it but curious what others think.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the other thread someone talked about a competency test - I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand but for now I think that's a bad idea and could lead to even more voter suppression - tying it to age makes a lot of sense to me though.

AAABatteries asked me to post this here, originally posted in another thread.  This is the kind of high-level and serious analysis that I'm known for around here:

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
Right now there are over 70 million people in the U.S. who are prohibited from voting because they are under the age of 18.  If we want to balance things out by eliminating a similar number of voters from the top of the age spectrum, we need to take away the right to vote from people starting at around age 58 (this is back-of-the envelope math).

But wait, young people are actually the ones who have the most at stake in these elections because they have the greatest number of years of life ahead of them. Really a better way to conceptualize it might be to try to make it so the voters excluded from the top of the age spectrum have the same number of remaining total years to live as the voters excluded from the bottom of the age spectrum.  So we should probably take away voting from everyone over 40 or something.  Too lazy to try to figure it out.

One final thought - I know this will devolve in to Trump bashing/defending but I hope it doesn't - this is something I've wondered for a long time.  Long life is something that seems to be a thing in my family and it always struck me as odd that my 90+ year old grandparents would be wheeled in or use their walker to go in and vote for things that most likely will never impact them in any way as they would not be here.

Right now there are over 70 million people in the U.S. who are prohibited from voting because they are under the age of 18.  If we want to balance things out by eliminating a similar number of voters from the top of the age spectrum, we need to take away the right to vote from people starting at around age 58 (this is back-of-the envelope math).

But wait, young people are actually the ones who have the most at stake in these elections because they have the greatest number of years of life ahead of them. Really a better way to conceptualize it might be to try to make it so the voters excluded from the top of the age spectrum have the same number of remaining total years to live as the voters excluded from the bottom of the age spectrum.  So we should probably take away voting from everyone over 40 or something.  Too lazy to try to figure it out.

Wow - I guess I'd have to look at numbers to see how many fall in to each category but for me 58 seems too young and 40 something seems crazy.  A lot of us would still be around 30 or more years.

Before people start taking me seriously I don't actually think we should take away voting rights from people that young.  But I do think it's a real problem that our electorate is so much older than our overall population.

Before people start taking me seriously I don't actually think we should take away voting rights from people that young.  But I do think it's a real problem that our electorate is so much older than our overall population.
I think I would be ok with starting with the life expectancy age minus some random years (say 10)?  Life expectancy is 78.74 years according a quick Google search - take away 10 and we'd get a max voting age of 68 or so.  

This is the silliest thing I've ever heard.   
I said in other thread that it may be a horrible idea - why do you think it's silly or bad?  Unlike some folks around here, I don't think I'm the smartest person in the room - far from it.  Also, I try to be open minded.  Convince me this is a bad idea.

I think I would be ok with starting with the life expectancy age minus some random years (say 10)?  Life expectancy is 78.74 years according a quick Google search - take away 10 and we'd get a max voting age of 68 or so.  
Yeah no way that happens.  Gotta start with, like, people over 100.  Then we gradually bring it down over time.

I said in other thread that it may be a horrible idea - why do you think it's silly or bad?  Unlike some folks around here, I don't think I'm the smartest person in the room - far from it.  Also, I try to be open minded.  Convince me this is a bad idea.
To start with no one knows how long they are going to live.  You can be 90 years old and live past 100 or 18 years old and die tomorrow.  You should vote on the candidate that represents what you think is best for the country/state/locality, it doesn't matter whether you are around to see it or not.

To start with no one knows how long they are going to live.  You can be 90 years old and live past 100 or 18 years old and die tomorrow.  You should vote on the candidate that represents what you think is best for the country/state/locality, it doesn't matter whether you are around to see it or not.
The fact that you think people should vote a certain way doesn't mean people actually do vote that way.

Does anyone really want (or trust) an army of 18 year olds voting for what's best for our senior citizens?

I agree with this but to some degree is a separate conversation - my argument centers more around mental capacity and an age limit is the only "fair" thing I can think of is an age limit.  Also, things change and the vast majority of people don't move nearly as fast as technology and "the world around us" does.  My 97 year old grandmother has no clue about anything technology related - her idea of what is best for the country may be that we eliminate online banking because in her day she could talk to the bank manager.

Does anyone really want (or trust) an army of 18 year olds voting for what's best for our senior citizens?
One item that I was going to bring up was to raise the minimum age at the same time you introduce a maximum age.  Not by much but I could see making it 21 or 25.  I think this idea would be even more unpopular.

But to answer your question - why do you think 18 year olds would suddenly be making these decisions and not all of us under age X?

Of course not but I'm not the one suggesting taking their voting rights away.
Well I think it needs to be characterized less as disenfranchisement and more as a life cycle event.  We aren't taking away voting rights from a single group for the benefit of other groups, like when minorities or women were prohibited from voting.  We're equally limiting voting for everyone in the population.  Every person has the exact same opportunity to vote -- from ages 18 to 85, or whatever. 

not a horrible idea for drivers license. Don't like it for voting.  Since they can vote now and express their dissatisfaction with the system, I'm afraid that if we take this away, they might find something to complain about. 

Well I think it needs to be characterized less as disenfranchisement and more as a life cycle event.  We aren't taking away voting rights from a single group for the benefit of other groups, like when minorities or women were prohibited from voting.  We're equally limiting voting for everyone in the population.  Every person has the exact same opportunity to vote -- from ages 18 to 85, or whatever. 
I'm cool with it if we are also limiting the age of our elected officials.  Let's say make the cut-off age 71.

not a horrible idea for drivers license. Don't like it for voting.  Since they can vote now and express their dissatisfaction with the system, I'm afraid that if we take this away, they might find something to complain about. 
The hardest part would be passing the whole thing. The people who vote the most would be cutting themselves off, not likely. And the politician who suggests it just voted himself out of office.

In the other thread someone talked about a competency test - I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand but for now I think that's a bad idea and could lead to even more voter suppression - tying it to age makes a lot of sense to me though.
They should try that out on the politicians first.

If we take away their right to vote, then how will their shady children forge their signatures on their absentee ballots??

I always felt voting should be slightly skewed by age:

18-29, your vote counts 2/3. You just don't have enough experience to be fully informed. 

30-65, your vote counts as normal

66+, back to 2/3rds. You have more life behind you than ahead. Let people with more years ahead get more say.

Voter suppression is a good thing when it results in incompetent voters being removed from the electorate.  That's the main reason why we have a minimum voting age in the first place -- people under the age of 18 are generally unqualified to have any sort of intelligent opinion on the issues of the day.  Of course, there are lots of bright and well-informed minors out there, but you have to draw the line someplace unless you want to go with competency testing.

18-29, your vote counts 2/3. You just don't have enough experience to be fully informed. 

66+, back to 2/3rds. You have more life behind you than ahead. Let people with more years ahead get more say.
I feel like the "fully informed" argument has really taken a beating after the 2016 elections.

I'd rather see voting restrictions based on height. Short people got little hands and little eyes and they walk around tellin' great big lies.

Voter suppression is a good thing when it results in incompetent voters being removed from the electorate.  That's the main reason why we have a minimum voting age in the first place -- people under the age of 18 are generally unqualified to have any sort of intelligent opinion on the issues of the day.  Of course, there are lots of bright and well-informed minors out there, but you have to draw the line someplace unless you want to go with competency testing.
Sure. We don't even trust these people to buy alcohol.

We should note that the voting age was 21 up until 1971 and (I think) the main argument for reducing it was that the military was drafting 18-year olds to fight wars. "Old enough to fight, old enough to vote!" Does that argument hold less water now, since we've basically moved  to an all-volunteer military system?

For the record, I oppose a max voting age. It bothers me that older voters have an exaggerated influence, but the solution  is to increase voter participation in the non-elderly population, imo.

For the record, I oppose a max voting age. It bothers me that older voters have an exaggerated influence, but the solution  is to increase voter participation in the non-elderly population, imo.
How do we feel about people under the age of 18 being allowed to proxy their vote to someone over 18 that can represent their interests?

I could see some possible merit in a weighted system like you suggest, but it will never happen. Because 3/5 happened.

How do we feel about people under the age of 18 being allowed to proxy their vote to someone over 18 that can represent their interests?
No. My kids would make Dan TDM their proxy.

But I might be ok with giving parents one extra vote per minor child. My family would have 4 total votes instead of 2.

I don't like disenfranchising anybody but I applaud the non-traditional thinking going on in this thread. I'd rather we increase the number of Congresscritters substantially and then district by age instead of geography.

I don't like disenfranchising anybody but I applaud the non-traditional thinking going on in this thread. I'd rather we increase the number of Congresscritters substantially and then district by age instead of geography.
This is intriguing. How about a mix? People vote for a geographic rep, an age-based rep, a fiscal policy rep, a social policy rep, and a foreign policy rep?

Oh, I like this.  Maybe we give each person 10 voting points and you could subtract points based on certain criteria - you could also then allow people to split points to different candidates - almost like allowing for picking your 1st, 2nd, nth choice.

Oh c'mon now - this is just silly.  You might as well propose something where just a handful of states have all of the power in an election affecting 300MM people.   

With all due respect, the Genexers, or whatever post-Boomers are,  are mostly buttheads and shouldn't run anything more important than a gambling website.

:lmao:    :lmao:    :lmao:

About 2/3 of the populace can't name the three branches of government.  

You might as well just say that "the landed gentry can vote".  

Users who are viewing this thread