What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bluetooth Headphones that won't break the bank? (1 Viewer)

Galileo

Footballguy
Anyone with a recommendation for headphones with decent sound quality.  Bluetooth with a plug in option would be preferable.  Would like to stay under $150. 

Go...

Anyone with a recommendation for headphones with decent sound quality.  Bluetooth with a plug in option would be preferable.  Would like to stay under $150. 

Go...
I'm currently rocking some Sennheiser over-ear headphones -- Momentum OEBT 2 -- that run for about 299 but can be had for $130 on Ebay.  

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-momentum-m2-over-the-ear-headphones-black/3774167.p?skuId=3774167&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=c69e1976-563c-445d-9dc4-461890c14e2d&ksprof_id=11&ksaffcode=pg123943&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

rockaction said:
I have the wireless version of these, which are great, but I had to have them replaced less than a year in, and it wasn't free.

Not seeing bluetooth capability on these either
How else would they be wireless? (Full disclosure, I work for their USA office) Here they are on the Marshall Website:

https://www.marshallheadphones.com/mh_us_en/major-ii-bluetooth

There's significant price erosion (for most headphone makers) on Amazon. Here's the next model up, still in your price point.

https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-MID-Bluetooth-Headphones-Black/dp/B01MCY4UYM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508167384&sr=1-2&keywords=marshall+bluetooth+headphones

The major problem with buying from an unauthorized seller on Amazon is that a lot of the warranty claims won't be honored. You have to go back through the reseller, not the vendor.

ETA: There is a Major II wired as well. Those shouldn't run you as much as the BT, but any of the wireless headphones will have BT compatibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not seeing bluetooth capability on these either
After further review, you are right that the rep who uploaded the copy to BestBuy didn't use the wireless copy. For the Brown/White models, the BT copy is there, but not for the black.

Strong contender here...thanks

ETA: on closer inspection, it does not look like these can be used as wired headphones...only bluetooth.  Is that correct? 

Is the claimed 15 hour battery life legit?  If so, maybe I can forego the wired capability.
They are both bluetooth and wired capable. The pictures don't show it but on the Bose site it states that an audio cable is included. I linked to that retailer to show it's possible to find in your price range even though other retailers are a bit above it.

ONKYO 200 series

Had to grab a pair at the airport once and I've generally liked the Onkyo brand from their work in the mid-fi world. 

These are, by far, the best sounding BT earphones I've used and comparable in sound to hard wired ones that are more costly like sennheiser (great brand imo, I've never had the troubles listed above).

Two caveats - they are not the loudest and at times there are BT connection issues. But again, I love the sound

How else would they be wireless? (Full disclosure, I work for their USA office) Here they are on the Marshall Website:

https://www.marshallheadphones.com/mh_us_en/major-ii-bluetooth

There's significant price erosion (for most headphone makers) on Amazon. Here's the next model up, still in your price point.

https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-MID-Bluetooth-Headphones-Black/dp/B01MCY4UYM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508167384&sr=1-2&keywords=marshall+bluetooth+headphones

The major problem with buying from an unauthorized seller on Amazon is that a lot of the warranty claims won't be honored. You have to go back through the reseller, not the vendor.

ETA: There is a Major II wired as well. Those shouldn't run you as much as the BT, but any of the wireless headphones will have BT compatibility.
Sorry...totally read past the "wireless" part in the name.  I was seeing the cord options described and assumed it was corded only.

After further review, you are right that the rep who uploaded the copy to BestBuy didn't use the wireless copy. For the Brown/White models, the BT copy is there, but not for the black.
Maybe I should read the whole thread before responding...  :thumbup:

They are both bluetooth and wired capable. The pictures don't show it but on the Bose site it states that an audio cable is included. I linked to that retailer to show it's possible to find in your price range even though other retailers are a bit above it.
Strange...It is not typical to see Bose products discounted much.

Wirecutter likes the Jabra Move

InnerFidelity likes the Sennheiser HD 4.40 and Noontec Zoro II

I have no personal experience with any of these.  The only bluetooth cans I've used are my daughter's Cowin E7.  I have a pair of bluetooth bone induction headphones for my bike but those leak a lot of sound.

Most of my listening is off a mobile device anyway so a headphone cable isn't a big problem for me.

Sony MDR 650 or Sony MDR 950

Both have a line-in option.  I lied, only the 950 has a line-in. 

The 650 supposedly has a 30 hour battery life, the 950 is 20 hours. I have the 950 and think they're great.  I can't say I've ever timed the battery life, but I charge them once a week at most. I often forget to turn them off when I leave the office and they will still last the entire day the next day. 

Last edited by a moderator:
somewhat unrelated but.......................sometimes get home in evening & want to listen to music for an hour in my office using ITunes off my computer.  so as not to disturb the wife, etc.  I slip on headphones that connect directly to my speakers hooked up to computer.  Music doesn't sound as good with the headphones vrs. just listening to the speakers(small bose).  Is my problem the computer, headphones, something else I should know about?  I'm not well versed in any of this but I like great sound & the money is really not a problem. suggestions?

I have an extensive sound system in living room but use my office mostly as living room being used for TV watching.

somewhat unrelated but.......................sometimes get home in evening & want to listen to music for an hour in my office using ITunes off my computer.  so as not to disturb the wife, etc.  I slip on headphones that connect directly to my speakers hooked up to computer.  Music doesn't sound as good with the headphones vrs. just listening to the speakers(small bose).  Is my problem the computer, headphones, something else I should know about?  I'm not well versed in any of this but I like great sound & the money is really not a problem. suggestions?

I have an extensive sound system in living room but use my office mostly as living room being used for TV watching.
Generally speaking, audio systems subscribe to the weakest link theory... the worst part of your system will often dictate the type of sound you receive.  That said, sometimes two or so weaknesses will magnify one another to the point where the results are far worse than being just as "bad sounding" as the one weak link.

What may be happening in your example is 2-3 fold.  First, the quality of the source... if it's low resolution digital sound, that's going to at times sound WORSE on a better system. Namely, a good soundboard and good speakers/earphones will project that poor source sound more accurately. It may sound what is called "bright" or too "electric" sounding.  This is further amplified (and even with good source material there's an issue) with many bluetooth systems that further degrade the sound after it's provided by the source. 

Basically, your ok but meh speakers might be better suited to the type of source material you use, or it could be the headphones.  Also, Bose does a lot to the music - I don't like that as I want a ####ty source to sound ####ty if that makes sense, but in the case of lower fidelity systems, that can be a big bonus.  

My guess is your earphones are giving you a more accurate sound of the source material while the bose "make it gentler" 

Most headphones are low impedance so they can be driven by low output devices like laptops and mobile phones.  Some high-end cans are high impedance so they sound better when routed through an amplifier/DAC.  An amp will help for any headphones but the clarity gains are greater for high impedance headphones.

Do the same headphones sound better in the living room?

Most headphones are low impedance so they can be driven by low output devices like laptops and mobile phones.  Some high-end cans are high impedance so they sound better when routed through an amplifier/DAC.  An amp will help for any headphones but the clarity gains are greater for high impedance headphones.

Do the same headphones sound better in the living room?
never tried the head phones in lv room as if I'm listening there it means no one is home but me & I can blare the sound to my ears content.  I'm now getting a high end set of headphones.  life it too short.  thanx a bunch.

never tried the head phones in lv room as if I'm listening there it means no one is home but me & I can blare the sound to my ears content.  I'm now getting a high end set of headphones.  life it too short.  thanx a bunch.
Check the impedance specs.  If it's over 25-32 ohms, you might need an amp depending on the output voltage of your device

Generally speaking, audio systems subscribe to the weakest link theory... the worst part of your system will often dictate the type of sound you receive.  That said, sometimes two or so weaknesses will magnify one another to the point where the results are far worse than being just as "bad sounding" as the one weak link.

What may be happening in your example is 2-3 fold.  First, the quality of the source... if it's low resolution digital sound, that's going to at times sound WORSE on a better system. Namely, a good soundboard and good speakers/earphones will project that poor source sound more accurately. It may sound what is called "bright" or too "electric" sounding.  This is further amplified (and even with good source material there's an issue) with many bluetooth systems that further degrade the sound after it's provided by the source. 

Basically, your ok but meh speakers might be better suited to the type of source material you use, or it could be the headphones.  Also, Bose does a lot to the music - I don't like that as I want a ####ty source to sound ####ty if that makes sense, but in the case of lower fidelity systems, that can be a big bonus.  

My guess is your earphones are giving you a more accurate sound of the source material while the bose "make it gentler" 
thanks a lot for your thoughtful response.  Based on the previous I'm upgrading the whole office experience starting tomorrow.  sounds like we have some knowledgeable sound guys here.  I like it!!!!!

The 650 supposedly has a 30 hour battery life, the 950 is 20 hours. I have the 950 and think they're great.  I can't say I've ever timed the battery life, but I charge them once a week at most. I often forget to turn them off when I leave the office and they will still last the entire day the next day. 
Saw these reviewed somewhere...I remember it saying lots of bass, heck I guess it says it in the headline of your link.  In your experience, does the bass drown out the mid to high range??   "Extra Bass" scares me a little.

Saw these reviewed somewhere...I remember it saying lots of bass, heck I guess it says it in the headline of your link.  In your experience, does the bass drown out the mid to high range??   "Extra Bass" scares me a little.
Nuts on those. Selling for $98.00. MSRP on those is $199.00. Sony can't keep their sales channels clear.

Good news/bad news. Good news - You can turn that on/off on the 950.  Bad news - I've never actually turned it on so I don't know how if it'd be a problem on the 650 where that feature is always on. 

I have the first generation Momentum over-ears which had a slightly smaller ear cup.  They're still going strong after 3+ years (I think). 
Good to know. I have the on-ear ivory ones. They only fetch about 130 on eBay, IIRC.  

I have the first generation Momentum over-ears which had a slightly smaller ear cup.  They're still going strong after 3+ years (I think). 
Sennheiser? I got these around then as well, from their site at like 90 bucks as the new (foldable) ones were coming on the market. Love them to this day.

Where do you live and/or plan on using them?

Did my research on this recently because my Android phone headphone jack has worn out where my wired plug won't stay in anywhere. 

What I found is that every non-premium version will cut out a ton when I use them walking around NYC. Just too much interference and too many people using Bluetooth around me. 

My personal surveying of friends/co-workers is really that only Airpods don't suffer from this in the city. 

Users who are viewing this thread