What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kentucky to add Medicaid work requirement (1 Viewer)

There are definitely ####holes in Irvine.  Cities that big are always a mixed bag though.  I know some really great parts of Stockton and Fresno.
That’s news to me. Every time I’m in Irvine it strikes me as a community that was planned in a lab. It’s so clean, ordinary and sanitized that I can’t stand the place but I wouldn’t ever label it a ####hole

I still don't understand why people on the right glamorize welfare.  Nobody that is on Medicaid wants to be on Medicaid.  
I don't pay for mental health therapy on Medicaid and bootstrappers can suck it. 

Trump wants to cut Medicaid which is the primary insurance for ppl with mental health issues. The system is already broken but under trump it will be far worse. He has a cold dead heart .

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hope that 20 years from now you will look at your posts in this thread and say to yourself "How could I have been so ####### clueless?"
I'll tell you what I should do .... I have everything paid off right now for the most part. When my wife gets her degree, I get a good lawyer, and between my knees, back and hearing, I'm pretty sure I can get 100% disability. 

From there, my wife works full time, I'll work side jobs for cash, hunt and fish all I want and get a Govt check every week. 

Sweet ####### deal huh ? 

There are definitely ####holes in Irvine.  Cities that big are always a mixed bag though.  I know some really great parts of Stockton and Fresno.
thank you

unless its upper Hollywood with fences, walls, armed security etc .... places are going to have bad areas

certainly not like bad areas of big cities like Chicago etc ... none the less, people could easily call them crappersholes

https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-neighborhoods-in-irvine-ca/

You are essentially discussing entire country solutions through the lens you experienced life in your tiny little town.  
ahhh but I'm not

understand I grew up in a small town, graduated with 30 ish people, all white area, went to a D1 SEC college (now) , adapted and worked for 3 years and went full time. I then went on a road tripping of contracting from south TX to Peoria IL then to Corpus Christi ..... then through the SE states, then to Colorado and WY. Went to MN for a spring, summer and winter with Chicago sprinkled in, to Caracas Venezuela, to Los Angles and all up and down that area (lived in Irvine) ..... then back to Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho, Missouri. I spent time up through the east coast to upstate NY though I never went to NY or big cities along the way. A handful of little NE states I've not been to - the rest I have and not just to visit. I stayed in them, worked in them, met the people in them. I was one white southern redneck working with blacks, browns, other colors if you want to count them that way. Mexcian's, Hispanics, Koreans quite a bit which was the biggest challenge being from po-dunk Arkansas. Venezuela was easy - they all hated us pure and simple. 

my 20-30 years of like was a ride for sure, I learned a great great deal about this country and those living here and I'm telling you - there are bad places everywhere, trashy places people could easily call #######s from coast to coast, Canada to Mexico border. Great people everywhere, bad people everywhere. Color of skin became irrelevant to who would be nice and who wouldn't. 

I'll tell you what I should do .... I have everything paid off right now for the most part. When my wife gets her degree, I get a good lawyer, and between my knees, back and hearing, I'm pretty sure I can get 100% disability. 

From there, my wife works full time, I'll work side jobs for cash, hunt and fish all I want and get a Govt check every week. 

Sweet ####### deal huh ? 
Yeah.  Give it a go.  Let me know how it goes. 

it'll take about 5 years with a good lawyer

I know the play, I've seen it first hand .... and after that 5 years of fight, I'll get 5 years of back pay too, tax free .... did you know ?

Sweet ####### deal huh ? 
I hope you do. Sounds like you’ve had a miserable life, about time for you to get a win!

I hope you do. Sounds like you’ve had a miserable life, about time for you to get a win!
I'm 48 

married going on 23 years to same wife. Poor and had nothing, I've been in good jobs for 20+ years now with some skill set earned. I hunt, fish, I'm pretty much debt free ..... I wish my retirement portfolio was more ..... I have a daughter who's a freshman in college, got first chair in concert band as a freshman  :D  my son is doing well in high school, wife 4.0 after 2 years in college .......... I'm still pretty good shape at 48, pretty healthy but then I work at it some too. I like to think I'm a Godly man, I try hard to be 

not at all miserable, just the opposite really

Sweet ####### deal huh ? 
American dream

I'm 48 

married going on 23 years to same wife. Poor and had nothing, I've been in good jobs for 20+ years now with some skill set earned. I hunt, fish, I'm pretty much debt free ..... I wish my retirement portfolio was more ..... I have a daughter who's a freshman in college, got first chair in concert band as a freshman  :D  my son is doing well in high school, wife 4.0 after 2 years in college .......... I'm still pretty good shape at 48, pretty healthy but then I work at it some too. I like to think I'm a Godly man, I try hard to be 

Cool then why do you care so much about the benefits that everyone else gets? Have you ever tried enjoying your own life and minding your own business? I guess it’s just easier to think the worst of everyone and look down at them to make yourself feel better.

Cool then why do you care so much about the benefits that everyone else gets? Have you ever tried enjoying your own life and minding your own business? I guess it’s just easier to think the worst of everyone and look down at them to make yourself feel better.
ahhh that's the kicker

i don't care how other people live their lives ... they can be successful, unsuccessful, right, poor, neat, trashy ..... I don't care

until

it directly impacts my life and the massive cost of 70 million people on medicare/medicaid and 100 million on social care of some sorts directly impacts my taxes, my chances of ever drawing a SS check etc etc

its like the left thinks money grows on tree's or is simply free 

The original age to claim Social Security payments was 65. A 1961 law allowed workers to begin claiming permanently reduced Social Security payments as early as age 62, but they still needed to wait until the full retirement age, 65, to receive the entire payment they qualified for. "Anytime from 62 on you could claim, but the benefit was reduced proportionally to how much earlier you did start to claim," Palmer says. "Now a majority of people opt to start claiming at 62." A 1983 law raised the full retirement age to 66 for most baby boomers and 67 for people born in 1960 or later and increased the reduction in monthly payments for people who sign up before their full retirement age. Provisions were also added to increase payments for retirees who delay claiming benefits past their full retirement age up until age 70
I'm 48 ... SS is going to run dry in 2026 or something right ? 

Maybe the raise the bar to 75 ... maybe its 80 years old. I mean you can't really have 150 million Americans drawing Govt checks can you ? Maybe 200 million ?

actually that's a good question to ya'll ........ what is the number of people maximum that can draw social care? 100 million? 140 million ? 200 million ?

at some point .... you have to admit the numbers are going to exceed the carrying capacity of this system, right ?

I bet you hate CEO's and ultra rich don't you ? 

Stealthycat said:
ahhh that's the kicker

i don't care how other people live their lives ... they can be successful, unsuccessful, right, poor, neat, trashy ..... I don't care

until

it directly impacts my life and the massive cost of 70 million people on medicare/medicaid and 100 million on social care of some sorts directly impacts my taxes, my chances of ever drawing a SS check etc etc

its like the left thinks money grows on tree's or is simply free 

I'm 48 ... SS is going to run dry in 2026 or something right ? 

Maybe the raise the bar to 75 ... maybe its 80 years old. I mean you can't really have 150 million Americans drawing Govt checks can you ? Maybe 200 million ?

actually that's a good question to ya'll ........ what is the number of people maximum that can draw social care? 100 million? 140 million ? 200 million ?

at some point .... you have to admit the numbers are going to exceed the carrying capacity of this system, right ?
Oh, so you’re so worried about the cost, I’m sure you must have been strongly opposed to the tax cuts that will significantly increase debt while mainly benefiting the rich. But that’s different, the rich really need those tax cuts and the poor are just cheating the system.

For someone that’s so angry with people living off the system, I’d think that you would be saving up so that you wouldn’t be dependent on the government in retirement.

Stealthycat said:
I bet you hate CEO's and ultra rich don't you ? 
If they held the same world views as you, sure. But no I do not hate them simply because they are CEOs or ultra rich.

Stealthycat said:

Sweet ####### deal huh ? 
Please do this and report back.

Stealthycat said:
ahhh but I'm not

understand I grew up in a small town, graduated with 30 ish people, all white area, went to a D1 SEC college (now) , adapted and worked for 3 years and went full time. I then went on a road tripping of contracting from south TX to Peoria IL then to Corpus Christi ..... then through the SE states, then to Colorado and WY. Went to MN for a spring, summer and winter with Chicago sprinkled in, to Caracas Venezuela, to Los Angles and all up and down that area (lived in Irvine) ..... then back to Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho, Missouri. I spent time up through the east coast to upstate NY though I never went to NY or big cities along the way. A handful of little NE states I've not been to - the rest I have and not just to visit. I stayed in them, worked in them, met the people in them. I was one white southern redneck working with blacks, browns, other colors if you want to count them that way. Mexcian's, Hispanics, Koreans quite a bit which was the biggest challenge being from po-dunk Arkansas. Venezuela was easy - they all hated us pure and simple. 

my 20-30 years of like was a ride for sure, I learned a great great deal about this country and those living here and I'm telling you - there are bad places everywhere, trashy places people could easily call #######s from coast to coast, Canada to Mexico border. Great people everywhere, bad people everywhere. Color of skin became irrelevant to who would be nice and who wouldn't. 
And your assertion is that everywhere you went there was this rampant neglect of the same systems?  Did you spend time with the people in these systems or was it outside observer?

Stealthycat said:
I'm 48 

So why would you want to change that whole dynamic and go on disability? 

Oh, so you’re so worried about the cost, I’m sure you must have been strongly opposed to the tax cuts that will significantly increase debt while mainly benefiting the rich. But that’s different, the rich really need those tax cuts and the poor are just cheating the system.

For someone that’s so angry with people living off the system, I’d think that you would be saving up so that you wouldn’t be dependent on the government in retirement.
good gawd ahmighty

the tax cuts benefit the middle class - that 4-4.5 % is going to help ...... I am not against the Fed Govt cutting taxes IF its also coupled with cutting spending. You cannot beat a 20 trillion dollar problem by cutting income and raising spending can you? First part is done - giving American's who work more of their money back. The Second one, spending cuts, has to happen.

I'm never going to get SS ... lets be honest. At 48, with the Govt 20 trillion in debt, with SS bankrupt by 2026 or whatever..... you think I can retire at 66 ??   LOL

Matthias said:
Then you have a worse work ethic and ethics overall than most people I've met. Most would rather work and earn their money. Not only is it honest, but doing something productive gives them some fulfillment. The ones who didn't work felt trapped, not gloating. It's really the upper classes who try to figure out how to scam the system. Finding huge tax loopholes if they're really rich. Trying to find things like disability if they're more middle class. Personally, I'd rather live with a clear conscience than do either one. 
There ya go !!!

Someone who wants people to get back to work, THANK YOU !!!   This law will help.

No, the upper classes use the holes the IRS gives them, you can use those same holes. If there is a problem, the IRS can easily close the holes that allow massive deductions from people who spend a helluva lot of money on contributions / donations etc 

You want that? 

So why would you want to change that whole dynamic and go on disability? 
get paychecks, healthcare, I can work when I want to, hunt and fish when I want to ............. sure, its not a big amount of money coming in every month, but I don't have a lot of money going out either with everything paid for. and I work on the side .... combine it all I'll do ok

see the advantages clearer? I'm saying that's how a LOT of people see it - and do it, and Kentucky is going to put a stop to those abusing the system like this I hope,that's not what its for

get paychecks, healthcare, I can work when I want to, hunt and fish when I want to ............. sure, its not a big amount of money coming in every month, but I don't have a lot of money going out either with everything paid for. and I work on the side .... combine it all I'll do ok

see the advantages clearer? I'm saying that's how a LOT of people see it - and do it, and Kentucky is going to put a stop to those abusing the system like this I hope,that's not what its for
How exactly does Kentucky’s plan put a stop to the abuse you’re talking about? You are talking about abusing disability where Kentucky’s work requirement is for ‘able-bodied’ individuals.

Oh gotcha.  Yeah I don't have a problem with able bodied people being productive.  I guess then the question becomes, who has to work and who doesn't?  Are farmers going to have to volunteer when they don't have a lot of work to do?  They get a ton in government assistance and many only work seasonally.  How would that work?  

And your assertion is that everywhere you went there was this rampant neglect of the same systems?  Did you spend time with the people in these systems or was it outside observer?
yes, there is abuse everywhere, its human nature
I agree, but that wasn't my question.  So even if there were a handful of people you observed at each stop, it's still anecdotal in terms of a national perspective.  Incidentally, what is the career you're in that has you watching these social programs so close everywhere you go?  Just wondering.

Not a big political guy here.

Using my sister as an example. She's had 3 open heart surgeries and has also been on dialysis for several years. She still works 40+ hours a week but doesn't make huge money and I'm pretty sure Medicaid pays her dialysis.

She's not milking society sitting on the couch, but just doesn't make big money. How would this deal work for her?

Also, didn't Maine implement something like this years ago?

looks to me that you think the worst of anyone who doesn't agree with you.  he expressed an opinion.  you want him to shut up.  sweet.

Using my sister as an example. She's had 3 open heart surgeries and has also been on dialysis for several years. She still works 40+ hours a week but doesn't make huge money and I'm pretty sure Medicaid pays her dialysis.

She's not milking society sitting on the couch, but just doesn't make big money. How would this deal work for her?

I’d imagine she’s already in compliance. 

cool, another thread where the rich are milking the system to the detriment of the middle class.

perfect.

looks to me that you think the worst of anyone who doesn't agree with you.  he expressed an opinion.  you want him to shut up.  sweet.
No I just read his posts and base my opinions of the things he posts. The discussion that lead to this post was I’m stating that he was gonna hire a lawyer and get disability because he thinks it’s such a rampant practice and very easy to accomplish.

And I also don’t see where I told him to shut up or stop posting.

No I just read his posts and base my opinions of the things he posts. The discussion that lead to this post was I’m stating that he was gonna hire a lawyer and get disability because he thinks it’s such a rampant practice and very easy to accomplish.

And I also don’t see where I told him to shut up or stop posting.
telling him to mind his own business or such to his post.

beer, brats, spuds waiting.  Happy Trails.

telling him to mind his own business or such to his post.

beer, brats, spuds waiting.  Happy Trails.
The minding his own business is reference to his belief that so many people are scamming the system. In previous discussions about health care, he’s said that he doesn’t believe that everyone deserves the same healthcare as him because he’s worked hard his entire life and they shouldn’t get the same level of care as him. Essentially he goes around deciding who deserves what benefits while judging large groups of people based on a handful of personal experiences. THAT is why I told him he should mind his own business and enjoy his life that he just explained was so good.

2 thoughts. The mindset that the poorest and sickest people in Kentucky can just bootstrap their way out of it is disgusting, and this is going to hurt those families in Kentucky who are already struggling the most.

My question would be: "what is the benefit?" I'm not sure I understand the trade-off. What do the residents of Kentucky now receive in return? 
Not saying I agree or disagree with this entire deal (nor have I finished reading this entire thread)....but a few points:

As to the "poorest and sickest" part - Kentucky has a population of about 4.4m, and as of October of last year 1.3m and change of them are on Medicaid.  So we're talking about nearly 30% of the state's population.  I'm not sure that the term "poorest and sickest" should reach the mark of 30% of the state's population - but I also don't live in Kentucky.  Medicaid "expansion" from the ACA over doubled the number of people on Medicaid in the state, an increase higher than any other state.  The state originally expected just a bit less than 150k folks to enroll via Medicaid expansion in the first year of it, 2014 - but over twice that, 310k actually enrolled - and the numbers have continued to go up since. 

The "benefit" would be a (theoretical) cost reduction.  Medicaid expansion was paid for by federal dollars in the first few years, but will shift to a sharing with the states themselves picking up 10% of the cost.  In Kentucky, as of numbers I saw for 2014, the average per person cost was $6,161*.  So they expanded Medicaid to nearly 400k people, with an average cost of $6,161*, and the state picking up 10% of it would be roughly $250m. 

*That average cost included the (Medicaid) disabled and the elderly not on Medicare, but those are both smaller populations than number of non disabled under 65 and children on the program.  The average cost I could find was also a 2014 number, so a few years old.  In the end the state's cost is likely in the $200m a year range.

ETA - when you remove those age 65 and up, we're really talking about 35% of the state's population on Medicaid. 

133% of federal poverty level which varies by family size, etc.
A bit different than that, actually - but not terribly....

"Children up to age 1 with family income up to 195% of FPL. Children ages 1-18 with family income up to 159% of FPL; children with family income up to 213% of FPL are eligible for the Kentucky Children’s Health Insurance Program. Pregnant women with family income up to 195% of FPL. Adults with income up to 138% of FPL. See the Programs and Services page for guidelines for elderly, disabled, and others who may qualify."

It is an article of faith among many conservatives that federal safety net programs are abused by able-bodied Americans too lazy to work. In reality, that is rarely the case. At most, only about 1 in every 250 Medicaid recipients could work, but won’t. The Kaiser Family Foundation has done the Medicaid math:
Not saying that this number is right or wrong, I have no idea.  But if it is correct, that's about 300k people. 

I've worked closely with Medicaid in Louisiana, and I can tell you, especially before the expansion, the vast majority of Medicaid enrollees were children under 18.  And roughly 1/4 of the state (over 1 million folks) are on medicaid here.

The whole freeloaders on medicaid thing is a myth.  Folks have a trope for the kind of person on welfare or medicaid, folks who are able bodied adults, with expensive cell phones driving Cadillacs...and it's simply a myth or so small as to not be significant in the least...<0.001%.
~1.5m out of total population of 4.7m.  ~32% of the state's population.

Matthias said:
Requiring these people to work to get Medicaid won't start this huge spring of them finding lucrative and fulfilling jobs. It's going to take away their Medicaid.

There are more than 2 million people in Kentucky on Medicaid, 22% of the total population. There are not all these charities looking for another 2 million volunteers. Managing volunteers isn't costless or easy. People on Medicaid may not have access to transportation, certainly not one that can get them somewhere on demand 2-5 times a week. There's not going to be enough opportunities for everyone who is going to need them to qualify to keep their health care.

Poor people in Kentucky are going to get sick. And then they're going to die. Because somewhere some person is using the, "lazy welfare queen" as a reason to do this. Either because they legitimately think it's valid or because they're sick of losing money paying for the health care of poor people. What they don't have is these high ideas that they're going to improve the situation of poor people by them all of a sudden finding employment that is lucrative and meaningful. Because they were just waiting for this opportunity to get off their ###.
That's a typo.  It's "more than 1.2 million", not "more than 2 million".  If it were over 2 million (of a state of only 4.4m total population, it would be a huge issue).

More likely Medicare, but it's got to be one of them.  If she's already working, this won't affect her one bit (is my understanding). 

I've worked closely with Medicaid in Louisiana, and I can tell you, especially before the expansion, the vast majority of Medicaid enrollees were children under 18.  And roughly 1/4 of the state (over 1 million folks) are on medicaid here.

The whole freeloaders on medicaid thing is a myth.  Folks have a trope for the kind of person on welfare or medicaid, folks who are able bodied adults, with expensive cell phones driving Cadillacs...and it's simply a myth or so small as to not be significant in the least...<0.001%.
~1.5m out of total population of 4.7m.  ~32% of the state's population.
Yep...was closer to 1 million before expansion.  

Just looked at some data for Louisiana:

- Over 50% are under 18
- 23% are 18-35
- 24% are over 35 with the two relative maximums being 28 and 59.

- Over 50% are under 18
- 23% are 18-35
Good numbers (I'm a numbers guy).  Was about 1m before expansion, about 1.5m now.  As is the case in most places, about half of "medicaid recipients" are under 18 (or is it 18 and under). 

- Over 50% are under 18
- 23% are 18-35
Good numbers (I'm a numbers guy).  Was about 1m before expansion, about 1.5m now.  As is the case in most places, about half of "medicaid recipients" are under 18 (or is it 18 and under). 
There was a breakdown of race too at some point that I saw.  Trying to find it.  

If you're a numbers guy, you might find it interesting that "Michael" was the most common name of anyone on Medicaid in Louisiana.  Williams was the most common last name.  I guess if your name is Michael Williams, you may be more likely than not to be on Medicaid if you live in La :).

There was a breakdown of race too at some point that I saw.  Trying to find it.  

If you're a numbers guy, you might find it interesting that "Michael" was the most common name of anyone on Medicaid in Louisiana.  Williams was the most common last name.  I guess if your name is Michael Williams, you may be more likely than not to be on Medicaid if you live in La :).
Those numbers are all great and everything - I guess my question is if 1/3rd of the state really needs to be on Medicaid.  And really it's even worse than that, as poorer folks 65 and over are on Medicare, not Medicaid.  Since 14.4% of Louisiana's population is 65 or over, we only have 3.77m folks under 64, roughly 1.5m of them are on Medicaid.....that's 40%.  To me, that's far too high.

Users who are viewing this thread