What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (6 Viewers)

If there are 100 people that get caught today with half ounce of weed, they aren't going to go to jail. 

If there are 100 people that get caught today with a handgun, they aren't going to go to jail unless they are violating a current gun rule.

If there are a 100 people that get caught tomorrow (after a gun ban) with a handgun, they are all going to jail. 

Not sure why that's difficult to understand. I don't break the law and smoke weed now. But lot's of people do. They still don't end up in jail. If those people choose to break the law when it comes to guns, they will end up in jail and we will have overcrowding. They'll be in there with drug dealers and meth heads.
I get all that, but for there to be an issue with an increased in prison population, there would have to be a lot more people not like you and DW who would choose to break the law just because they don't want to comply with the gun ban.    

Do you think that would be high enough % of current law abiding gun owners that an increased prison population would be a concern?

If there are 100 people that get caught today with half ounce of weed, they aren't going to go to jail. 

If there are 100 people that get caught today with a handgun, they aren't going to go to jail unless they are violating a current gun rule.

If there are a 100 people that get caught tomorrow (after a gun ban) with a handgun, they are all going to jail. 

Not sure why that's difficult to understand. I don't break the law and smoke weed now. But lot's of people do. They still don't end up in jail. If those people choose to break the law when it comes to guns, they will end up in jail and we will have overcrowding. They'll be in there with drug dealers and meth heads.
They don't go to jail, because with no criminal history the prosecutor accepts a plea bargain that keeps them out of jail.

The same would likely occur for those who violate a gun ban. 

They don't go to jail, because with no criminal history the prosecutor accepts a plea bargain that keeps them out of jail.

The same would likely occur for those who violate a gun ban. 
Not sure it would work that way. We were discussing what type of punishment would be necessary in order to get people to comply with the new gun laws. If it's going to be a fine and a slap on the wrist, then I think many gun owners would decide to keep their guns in case they need to defend themselves. Again, risk/reward.

Say the ban goes into effect and they give up their handgun voluntarily. They won't be able to replace it. If they keep their gun and get caught, they get a fine and they lose their gun. They won't be able replace it. What exactly is the deterrent to entice people, especially those that want them for home defense, to give up their guns? 

I'm sure many would be happy to pay a fine if it meant they were able to save their life or families life. Someone that is already a criminal isn't likely to care about a fine, since they have no intentions or ability to pay it anyway. 

Might as well hit them with "wait til your father gets home". That should scare people into compliance. 

I get all that, but for there to be an issue with an increased in prison population, there would have to be a lot more people not like you and DW who would choose to break the law just because they don't want to comply with the gun ban.    

Do you think that would be high enough % of current law abiding gun owners that an increased prison population would be a concern?
I already said, there are a lot of people that smoke pot. I don't. 

Not sure it would work that way. We were discussing what type of punishment would be necessary in order to get people to comply with the new gun laws. If it's going to be a fine and a slap on the wrist, then I think many gun owners would decide to keep their guns in case they need to defend themselves. Again, risk/reward.

Say the ban goes into effect and they give up their handgun voluntarily. They won't be able to replace it. If they keep their gun and get caught, they get a fine and they lose their gun. They won't be able replace it. What exactly is the deterrent to entice people, especially those that want them for home defense, to give up their guns? 

I'm sure many would be happy to pay a fine if it meant they were able to save their life or families life. Someone that is already a criminal isn't likely to care about a fine, since they have no intentions or ability to pay it anyway. 

Might as well hit them with "wait til your father gets home". That should scare people into compliance. 
I'm not a gun ban advocate, so I don't know how extreme those that advocate it expect the compliance to be. But most laws aren't prosecuted to the extreme by prosecutors for someone's first misdemeanor. Even if the prosecutor does take it before a judge, the judge usually issues a minimal penalty to a first time offender. It's when there is a history with the person that they take it to the extreme. If the gun banners want extreme compliance, then the courts would have to behave far more strictly than they naturally do. 

I'm not a gun ban advocate, so I don't know how extreme those that advocate it expect the compliance to be. But most laws aren't prosecuted to the extreme by prosecutors for someone's first misdemeanor. Even if the prosecutor does take it before a judge, the judge usually issues a minimal penalty to a first time offender. It's when there is a history with the person that they take it to the extreme. If the gun banners want extreme compliance, then the courts would have to behave far more strictly than they naturally do. 
Exactly. This is where the conversation stands. 

You and I have had a lot of conversations in this thread. From the beginning, you have said that you're not looking to ban all guns. But, you wouldn't stand in the way if others did. 

You know we can barely regulate guns, much less ban them. (see war on drugs). However, the call for a total ban is growing louder with each mass shooting. If it's going to happen, don't do it half ###. If I'm giving up my guns, I want to make sure that everyone else is as well. Or they should pay a heavy price. 

Exactly. This is where the conversation stands. 

You and I have had a lot of conversations in this thread. From the beginning, you have said that you're not looking to ban all guns. But, you wouldn't stand in the way if others did. 

You know we can barely regulate guns, much less ban them. (see war on drugs). However, the call for a total ban is growing louder with each mass shooting. If it's going to happen, don't do it half ###. If I'm giving up my guns, I want to make sure that everyone else is as well. Or they should pay a heavy price. 
Then comparing it to weed is an apples and oranges comparison. 

Thank you for pointing that out to everyone else.

Gun regulation will have an major increase on our prison population. Unless laws are enacted that have no teeth. 
Again, I don't know how extreme the gun advocates want it enforced, but I doubt the rest of the population would be okay with extreme enforcement (just as they aren't okay with it with other laws). If a gun ban ever got passed, I doubt it would be enforced to the extreme you and the gun banners think it needs to be.

Again, I don't know how extreme the gun advocates want it enforced, but I doubt the rest of the population would be okay with extreme enforcement (just as they aren't okay with it with other laws). If a gun ban ever got passed, I doubt it would be enforced to the extreme you and the gun banners think it needs to be.
Perhaps you should address some of those things with them directly. There have been quite a few recently. @Gr00vus or even @Sheriff Bart have made comments in the last few days about more than just background checks and assault weapons bans. 

Yet, here you are correcting me about something I don't support. Funny how that happens. 

You still didn't answer the question.  

No I don't think that a gun causes people to kill.   I get it you think "people" are the core issue, but what specifically.  
our social web that breeds violence is a huge problem IMO,  the degradation of human life has increased since RvWade IMO. We've forgotten God and our ethics and morals are at an all time low IMO. Drugs are a massive problem. Broken family units are a core problem. 

the young people above in that link to the Chicago self defense .......... why did they do what they did? Repeated offenders at 14 and 16 years of age .... why? how ? 

if you want specific's we can start a thread on that ....... but I'm glad to see you admit that a weapon isn't the problem at all, its the people choosing to do these things that;s the problem.

now tell me why you wish to not address that problem? because its hard?

If I'm giving up my guns, I want to make sure that everyone else is as well. Or they should pay a heavy price. 
odd thing is that the left will fight you hard on "paying a heavy price" 

give them all 20 chances, rehab them not punish them etc etc right ? certainly no capital punishment, that would be cruel ! instead .... allow them back on the streets to continue the threats they post to society

I will not be confined to your simplistic answers.

Again ... and this is important ..... taking AR15's will impact legal law abiding and will do NOTHING to criminals and violence and killing. 

Are you REALLY going to sit there and argue the easiness of taking literally tens of millions of guns and that course makes more sense then trying to focus on the core problem ?

its not about easy .... its about what's right. I really thought most people understood that but I'm stupid .... over the last 3 months I should know better
Well, there’s one thing in this post I agree with.

Maybe I need a nap, or somebody else can clarify the point.  

When I looked at the comments about groovus' proposal having a major increase in the prison population, IMO the only way that happens if people who normally aren't prone to breaking the law decide to start doing so because of non-compliance with that ban.   

The people who are already breaking the law and having a higher % of landing in prison right now for whatever reason  - drug trafficking, assault, guns, whatever,  will have similar likelihood of landing there after the ban right?  So the ban wouldn't effect that subgroup of the population much at all besides adding length to their sentence if they are in possession of an illegal firearm after the ban.    So I am trying to parse out if whoever thinks there would be a jump up of the prison #s, is that because of that second group and adding on more years to their sentence would congest the system a lot more, or do they think that the first case will be true as well and a big number of gun owners would choose not to comply with the ban and risk getting caught?

our social web that breeds violence is a huge problem IMO,  the degradation of human life has increased since RvWade IMO. We've forgotten God and our ethics and morals are at an all time low IMO. Drugs are a massive problem. Broken family units are a core problem. 

the young people above in that link to the Chicago self defense .......... why did they do what they did? Repeated offenders at 14 and 16 years of age .... why? how ? 

if you want specific's we can start a thread on that ....... but I'm glad to see you admit that a weapon isn't the problem at all, its the people choosing to do these things that;s the problem.

now tell me why you wish to not address that problem? because its hard?
Back up there - I didn't say that a weapon or access to it isn't a problem, I said that just owning a gun doesn't make you want to kill somebody.   There is a big difference there.  

Also, yet again - this isn't a either or thing.  We can do multiple things at once.  

Not solely "because it's hard", but (again depending what we are talking about) when I look at the problem and try to find common ground with the problem one of the only common things with all of this is guns.   In some weird world where we could only tackle one problem to try to address gun violence I don't think any of the other things you would list - more God, less drugs, less abortions, etc.  would come close to cutting down a large portion of the violence.   I doubt you could post stats that would point to any of those individually being a factor in a significant % of the gun violence.   That's why I keep coming back to guns as being at the heart of the issue and needs to be front and center the solution.  

Maybe I need a nap, or somebody else can clarify the point.  

When I looked at the comments about groovus' proposal having a major increase in the prison population, IMO the only way that happens if people who normally aren't prone to breaking the law decide to start doing so because of non-compliance with that ban.   

The people who are already breaking the law and having a higher % of landing in prison right now for whatever reason  - drug trafficking, assault, guns, whatever,  will have similar likelihood of landing there after the ban right?  So the ban wouldn't effect that subgroup of the population much at all besides adding length to their sentence if they are in possession of an illegal firearm after the ban.    So I am trying to parse out if whoever thinks there would be a jump up of the prison #s, is that because of that second group and adding on more years to their sentence would congest the system a lot more, or do they think that the first case will be true as well and a big number of gun owners would choose not to comply with the ban and risk getting caught?
You don't need a nap, you need to wake up. 

I could draw a picture. But, I don't think that will help. Your mind is closed to right now. 

Someone that is carrying a half ounce of weed is not getting arrested. They are breaking the law, but not getting sent to jail. = Prison population is 0

Currently, someone that is carrying a half ounce of weed and a legal handgun is still breaking the law, but not getting sent to jail = Prison population is still 0.

After the ban, someone is carrying a half ounce of weed and an illegal handgun, are now going to be sent to jail for the handgun charges = Prison population 1. 

Meanwhile, the guy that never was breaking the law (myself included) has given up his guns. I wasn't a criminal before, I'm not a criminal now. I was never going to be part of the prison population. 

We've talked about the gun deaths, the suicide rate, the number of hunters, etc. We know that roughly 20% of the gun deaths are due to gang related violence. Do you believe that a gang member is going to turn in his guns? Some of them have already lost their legal right to own a handgun, yet they still find a way to carry them. 

Definitely need a nap.  For some reason my foggy mind was missing that important step of the weed being illegal no matter the amount.  Probably a little to do with me partaking last night despite being in a state where it isn't legal.  :whoosh:

You and PS are bringing up good points about a lot of the weight would be on getting the penalties right then (and I just displayed why in my above post).  

Definitely need a nap.  For some reason my foggy mind was missing that important step of the weed being illegal no matter the amount.  Probably a little to do with me partaking last night despite being in a state where it isn't legal.  :whoosh:

You and PS are bringing up good points about a lot of the weight would be on getting the penalties right then (and I just displayed why in my above post).  
Please stay put. @Politician Spock will be along shortly, asking that you be banned for discussing your criminal activities on this forum.  ;)

Show me where I've said that nothing will work? Or that we shouldnt even try?

This might be the most ignorant statement made. But, I'm sure Bucky or Msommer, or Orton will be along to give you a like any moment now. 
If I'm thinking of another poster, I apologize, but you are against reinstituting the assault weapons ban, high capacity magazines and bump stocks correct? 

ETA

Let's throw in the gun show loophole and no selling amongst private citizens too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm thinking of another poster, I apologize, but you are against reinstituting the assault weapons ban, high capacity magazines and bump stocks correct? 
Maybe. No. and No.

I'm not against gun regulation. I'm want to make sure that any regulation has meaningful impact in the areas people want and don't over extend into areas they shouldn't. 

I believe I'm the only person that has mentioned binary triggers. Which doubles the firing rate of an assault rifle, similar to a bump stock. I said that they should be banned. I didn't know about bump stocks until after the Vegas shooting. I said that they should be banned. They serve no purpose. 

Someone asked about body armor? I thought that was you? My response was to ban body armor. (unless you work in a field that requires it).

How about we start by banning anything that fires more than six rounds without a reload and can be reloaded in less than 5 seconds?
Does anyone disagree that with the above conditions less people would die during mass shootings?

Think this is the core issue.  We keep getting sidetracked.

Does anyone disagree that with the above conditions less people would die during mass shootings?

There is more to GrOOvus' plan than just saying okay or abracadabra. 

Would reducing magazine capacity from 100 to 30 reduce lives lost during mass shooting? Would going from 30 to 15 reduce it? If you're goal is singular (mass shootings) then 6-10 rounds would work. It will do nothing for gang violence, suicides, or domestic violence. Which leaves some people that want our gun death rate to fall in line with other countries unhappy with the results. 

While I don't disagree, I won't agree without further explanation. 

I think that is safe to say.  I think Groovus' plan would do a bit to limit death for the mass shootings that people usually think of - school, church, etc.   Not sure how much it will impact overall gun deaths.  On the flip side, I assume we cant do much more without reworking the 2nd, so people who would say that isn't enough would run into that wall.  

Maybe. No. and No.

I'm not against gun regulation. I'm want to make sure that any regulation has meaningful impact in the areas people want and don't over extend into areas they shouldn't. 

I believe I'm the only person that has mentioned binary triggers. Which doubles the firing rate of an assault rifle, similar to a bump stock. I said that they should be banned. I didn't know about bump stocks until after the Vegas shooting. I said that they should be banned. They serve no purpose. 

Someone asked about body armor? I thought that was you? My response was to ban body armor. (unless you work in a field that requires it).
To me that's "nothing" then since every single one of those things have been involved in mass shootings.  You don't need a hundred round clip to hunt a deer or anything else for that matter. 

That was me that asked about body armor and glad we agree on some things. It's a start. 

I think that is safe to say.  I think Groovus' plan would do a bit to limit death for the mass shootings that people usually think of - school, church, etc.   Not sure how much it will impact overall gun deaths.  On the flip side, I assume we cant do much more without reworking the 2nd, so people who would say that isn't enough would run into that wall.  
Mass shootings are what is freaking everyone out.  Not overall gun deaths.

To me that's "nothing" then since every single one of those things have been involved in mass shootings.  You don't need a hundred round clip to hunt a deer or anything else for that matter. 

That was me that asked about body armor and glad we agree on some things. It's a start. 

If I'm thinking of another poster, I apologize, but you are against reinstituting the assault weapons ban, high capacity magazines and bump stocks correct

ETA

Let's throw in the gun show loophole and no selling amongst private citizens too. 

Maybe. No. and No.

I think there is some confusion about your questions and my answers. 

I might be against reinstituting the assault weapons ban. I'm still evaluating. I don't like the terms being thrown around that would capture true hunting rifles. (you were the one that agreed I could define what constitutes a hunting rifle)

I am NOT against banning high capacity magazines. (which is why I answered no)

I am NOT against banning bump stocks. (also why I answered no).  I also think we need to address binary triggers and ghost guns now. The longer we wait, the harder it is going to be to put the toothpaste back in the tube. 

Mass shootings are what is freaking everyone out.  Not overall gun deaths.
This is true. 

But, mass shootings make up a very small number of overall gun deaths. There are others that want to reduce the suicide rate. And still others that want to reduce gang violence. 

As a gun owner, these are the things that I get frustrated with. There are a dozen different people here that want to discuss a dozen different solutions that accomplish a dozen different things. Then, posters want to use pieces of those conversations against me to make their point. 

Perhaps you guys need to get together and decide what it is you want as a group.

Crazy world we live in. 99% of all the recent mass shooters were on Prozac, Zoloft, Xanax, Ambien or some combination thereof. We should be banning the overuse and over prescription of pharmaceuticals not infringing on the rights of citizens because some drugged up nut job lost his marbles. Punish the wrongdoers not the innocent. Registration is the first step to confiscation. Ask anyone who knows history.

We have reached a point where censorship has become routine. Free speech and the first amendment have been seriously undermined. Privacy is completely gone so check the fourth amendment off the list. Second amendment will be eroded with red flag laws. Imagine if politicians decided you were insane for voting for Bernie Sanders or Trump. We now take your guns. Who decides what crazy is? Some politically biased bureaucrat? If you believe in God could you be labeled crazy? How would you defend yourself in Chicago when the criminals are packing heavy arms and law abiding citizens are waiting three weeks for red tape infringements and government approval.

We are going backwards not progressing. Guess those who can’t recall history are doomed to repeat it. Never thought I’d see the day where loving God and country makes you a white supremacist/nationalist/deplorable. Communism, totalitarianism and Christian killing should have died out with Stalin, Mao and Hitler. Alas, it’s all seemingly making a comeback in the name of inclusiveness and safety.

Many have no idea how this insanity returned to a supposedly advanced society.

Perhaps you guys need to get together and decide what it is you want as a group.
I’ll take the things that at least two-thirds of the American people agree with such as universal background checks, closing gun show loopholes and an assault weapon ban.  It shouldn’t be this hard.  

Crazy world we live in. 99% of all the recent mass shooters were on Prozac, Zoloft, Xanax, Ambien or some combination thereof. We should be banning the overuse and over prescription of pharmaceuticals not infringing on the rights of citizens because some drugged up nut job lost his marbles. Punish the wrongdoers not the innocent. Registration is the first step to confiscation. Ask anyone who knows history.

We have reached a point where censorship has become routine. Free speech and the first amendment have been seriously undermined. Privacy is completely gone so check the fourth amendment off the list. Second amendment will be eroded with red flag laws. Imagine if politicians decided you were insane for voting for Bernie Sanders or Trump. We now take your guns. Who decides what crazy is? Some politically biased bureaucrat? If you believe in God could you be labeled crazy? How would you defend yourself in Chicago when the criminals are packing heavy arms and law abiding citizens are waiting three weeks for red tape infringements and government approval.

We are going backwards not progressing. Guess those who can’t recall history are doomed to repeat it. Never thought I’d see the day where loving God and country makes you a white supremacist/nationalist/deplorable. Communism, totalitarianism and Christian killing should have died out with Stalin, Mao and Hitler. Alas, it’s all seemingly making a comeback in the name of inclusiveness and safety.

Many have no idea how this insanity returned to a supposedly advanced society.
Link?

I’ll take the things that at least two-thirds of the American people agree with such as universal background checks, closing gun show loopholes and an assault weapon ban.  It shouldn’t be this hard.  
Yes. Yes. Maybe.

The assault weapons ban that people are proposing is not the same assault weapons ban that was in effect prior. The key terminology is that any semi automatic rifle that could accept a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is banned. 

This is different from the previous ban. I owned most of my weapons through the last ban. I had to destroy a couple of 30 round magazines for my Ruger 10/22 to comply. Otherwise, all my other guns were legal. 

Yes. Yes. Maybe.

The assault weapons ban that people are proposing is not the same assault weapons ban that was in effect prior. The key terminology is that any semi automatic rifle that could accept a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is banned. 

This is different from the previous ban. I owned most of my weapons through the last ban. I had to destroy a couple of 30 round magazines for my Ruger 10/22 to comply. Otherwise, all my other guns were legal. 
Whatever terminology is OK with the vast majority of the population is acceptable to me.

Whatever terminology is OK with the vast majority of the population is acceptable to me.
This is why I continue to have this conversation. If the vast majority of the population is okay with banning hunting rifles, that weren't banned under the previous assault weapons ban, then we are starting down that slippery slope. A slippery slope that people said wasn't going to happen.  

This is why I continue to have this conversation. If the vast majority of the population is okay with banning hunting rifles, that weren't banned under the previous assault weapons ban, then we are starting down that slippery slope. A slippery slope that people said wasn't going to happen.  
As you certainly know, the majority isn’t in favor of banning normal, typical hunting rifles.  I don’t know where exactly the line should be drawn but certainly it can be drawn.

Mass shootings are what is freaking everyone out.  Not overall gun deaths
Agree but both should. I think the reason it has been ignored forever because it has mostly been gangs murdering each other. 

As you certainly know, the majority isn’t in favor of banning normal, typical hunting rifles.  I don’t know where exactly the line should be drawn but certainly it can be drawn.
I would draw the line under the second amendment where it reads “shall not be infringed. I would also ban violent video games and movies. I mean really. Why do need all the blood and gore. It’s disgusting and obviously has an impact on young under developed minds. Plus everyone’s on prescription medication of some kind now. There’s at least 4 million people on legal drugs that have a 1 in 1000 chance of causing mental ills like suicide and murder. That’s a lot of one in a thousand chances out there.

I agree. But, an anti gun person isn't going to care. Even if the new ban over reaches expectations. When people think of a typical hunting rifle, they think of a bolt action with a wood stock. When they think of an assault rifle, the think of a semi automatic with a black pistol grip stock and high capacity magazine. My deer rifle is a semi automatic rifle with a wood stock, no pistol grip and a 4 round magazine. 

Back up there - I didn't say that a weapon or access to it isn't a problem, I said that just owning a gun doesn't make you want to kill somebody.   There is a big difference there.  
Sure there is a difference - and since you now recognize the difference can we PLEASE stop focusing on laws that impact law abiding citizens who are NOT the problem ?

wouldn't it make more sense to focus on the people that are the problem ?

Not solely "because it's hard", but (again depending what we are talking about) when I look at the problem and try to find common ground with the problem one of the only common things with all of this is guns.   In some weird world where we could only tackle one problem to try to address gun violence I don't think any of the other things you would list - more God, less drugs, less abortions, etc.  would come close to cutting down a large portion of the violence.   I doubt you could post stats that would point to any of those individually being a factor in a significant % of the gun violence.   That's why I keep coming back to guns as being at the heart of the issue and needs to be front and center the solution.  

so remove gun and the "issue" disappears like it does in prison right ?

c'mon ... you're talking in circles. the weapon isn't the cause, the ROOT cause is the people doing these crimes.

if I told you today we could wave a wand and make all guns in the USA disappear, would violence disappear too ? no

if I told you we could wave a wand and make all the violent people in the USA disappear .... would violence disappear? yes - and the 500 million guns in the USA wouldn't matter nor would the 2 billion knives or 50 million baseball bats ....... because why ?

violent people are the problem - lets attack them and not let them terrorize us any longer. Deal ?

I don't think it would no ... with exceptions like the Vegas shooting 

Murders will murder, they'll find their way. With that proposition you HAVE impacted every person that owns a semi-auto weapon in the USA though, tens of millions of people who hunt and shooting sports and self protections etc. You've impacted criminals pretty much zero 

The CORE issue is the violent people

I agree. But, an anti gun person isn't going to care. Even if the new ban over reaches expectations. When people think of a typical hunting rifle, they think of a bolt action with a wood stock. When they think of an assault rifle, the think of a semi automatic with a black pistol grip stock and high capacity magazine. My deer rifle is a semi automatic rifle with a wood stock, no pistol grip and a 4 round magazine. 
In my opinion, neither the pro-gun or anti-gun people should get their way.  There are enough people in the middle.

according to polls of 1100 people tc

I doubt the real numbers are like that 

This is the first I have seen of that correlation of psych meds and shooters.  Interesting that it didn't show up in the articles I linked, so I am going to have to dig deeper.  

Pretty sure someone on here said the prescription drug theory was debunked, but dont remember details.  

Not sure where to even start with your other post though.  
Debunked? In the age of untruth I would find it hard to believe honestly. Short of proven toxicology reports of course. All one has to do is look at big pharma revenues and side effect lists. Millions and millions of people on adhd drugs or something. I’d find any debunking to be hard to swallow.

Users who are viewing this thread