What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Taking Politics Out of Public Schools (1 Viewer)

ekbeats

Footballguy

Wisconsin school board votes to ban pride, BLM flags from classrooms​

By Emma Colton | Fox News

A Wisconsin school board voted in favor of a policy banning gay pride flags and Black Lives Matter (BLM) flags from classrooms due to what school leaders say is political messaging.
"Teachers and administration will not have political flags or religious messaging in their classroom or on their person," Superintendent Stephen Plum said ahead of the vote, according to Fox 6.

The Kettle Moraine School Board voted last Tuesday in favor of keeping a code of conduct in place that the school's superintendent had interpreted as banning teachers from displaying political and religious messages in classrooms. The political messages include ones such as gay pride flags, BLM flags and "We Back the Badge" signs. Only one school board member voted against the ban, saying he made the decision after speaking with concerned students and staff.

The policy also includes banning teachers from including their preferred pronouns in email signatures.

Plum told the school board that the district’s interpretation of the policy — which prohibits staffers from using their positions to promote partisan politics, religious views and propaganda for personal, monetary or nonmonetary gain — changed following a legal analysis.

The vote was held in a packed room last week as students and community members sounded off on the measure.

"I am not controversial. I am not political. I am a person," one student told the board, according to Fox 6.

"The fact is, the majority of students don't want or need this, so catering to the minority only encourages the envelope to be pushed further," another student said.

Ahead of the vote, two high schoolers in the district established a Change.org petition calling for a reversal of the ban. The petition has garnered more than 13,000 signatures since it launched last month.

The ACLU of Wisconsin has since issued statements slamming the vote and is currently investigating the policy.

"If you have a policy that says ‘nothing political,’ does that mean you can’t have a sign up that says, ‘Support our Troops’ or ‘Believe Women’ or ‘Save the Planet?’ By some people’s definitions, all of those things are political," said Christine Donahoe, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin.

"It really looks like targeted attacks at specific viewpoints, like LGBT communities, or welcome and safe spaces to students of color," Donahoe added.

Donahoe said she is looking into the policy, as well as one that was approved by the school district in Waukesha. A teacher in Waukesha gained national attention last year when the school district suspended her after she pinned a pride flag to her classroom.

Sure. I think teachers should keep their personal politics out of the classroom. Now…if asked, they may give an opinion as just that. But otherwise, all instruction should be apolitical. Ask the students their opinion and have them support it…

Last edited:
“It really looks like a targeted attack at specific viewpoints” says the ACLU and as usual they are right.

Are teachers not allowed to wear crosses on their necklaces? What about wearing a hijab? A yarmulka? Sikh kara bangle? What about a tattoo on the forearm that depicts Jesus? What about bumper stickes of the flying spaghetti monster?

Interestingly enough, I’m in Milwaukee right now and there is a constant barrage of political ads in prime time yet no mention of this.

Meanwhile, in Texas:

A new law requiring Texas schools to display donated “In God We Trust” posters is the latest move by Republican lawmakers to bring Christianity into taxpayer-funded institutions.

Under the law, Senate Bill 797, which passed during last year’s legislative session, schools are required to display the posters if they are donated.

The law went into effect last year, but these posters weren’t popping up then as many school officials and parents were more concerned about new COVID-19 strains and whether their local public school would even open for in-person classes.

The “In God We Trust” law was authored by state Sen. Bryan Hughes, the East Texas Republican who crafted Texas’ Senate Bill 8, which restricted abortion to the first six weeks or so of pregnancy starting Sept. 1, 2021. The abortion law artfully skirted legal challenge by relying on the public instead of law enforcement to enforce it.

Hughes’ “In God We Trust” poster law is also precisely written. Texas public schools or colleges must display the national motto in a “conspicuous place” but only if the poster is “donated” or “purchased by private donations.”

After an appearance for a Northwest Austin Republican Women’s Club event on Tuesday, Hughes touted the new law and praised the groups stepping up to donate the posters.

“The national motto, In God We Trust, asserts our collective trust in a sovereign God,” Hughes wrote on Twitter. “I’m encouraged to see groups like the Northwest [Austin] Republican Women and many individuals coming forward to donate these framed prints to remind future generations of the national motto.”

Wisconsin school board votes to ban pride, BLM flags from classrooms​

By Emma Colton | Fox News

A Wisconsin school board voted in favor of a policy banning gay pride flags and Black Lives Matter (BLM) flags from classrooms due to what school leaders say is political messaging.
"Teachers and administration will not have political flags or religious messaging in their classroom or on their person," Superintendent Stephen Plum said ahead of the vote, according to Fox 6.

The Kettle Moraine School Board voted last Tuesday in favor of keeping a code of conduct in place that the school's superintendent had interpreted as banning teachers from displaying political and religious messages in classrooms. The political messages include ones such as gay pride flags, BLM flags and "We Back the Badge" signs. Only one school board member voted against the ban, saying he made the decision after speaking with concerned students and staff.

The policy also includes banning teachers from including their preferred pronouns in email signatures.

Plum told the school board that the district’s interpretation of the policy — which prohibits staffers from using their positions to promote partisan politics, religious views and propaganda for personal, monetary or nonmonetary gain — changed following a legal analysis.

The vote was held in a packed room last week as students and community members sounded off on the measure.

"I am not controversial. I am not political. I am a person," one student told the board, according to Fox 6.

"The fact is, the majority of students don't want or need this, so catering to the minority only encourages the envelope to be pushed further," another student said.

Ahead of the vote, two high schoolers in the district established a Change.org petition calling for a reversal of the ban. The petition has garnered more than 13,000 signatures since it launched last month.

The ACLU of Wisconsin has since issued statements slamming the vote and is currently investigating the policy.

"If you have a policy that says ‘nothing political,’ does that mean you can’t have a sign up that says, ‘Support our Troops’ or ‘Believe Women’ or ‘Save the Planet?’ By some people’s definitions, all of those things are political," said Christine Donahoe, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin.

"It really looks like targeted attacks at specific viewpoints, like LGBT communities, or welcome and safe spaces to students of color," Donahoe added.

Donahoe said she is looking into the policy, as well as one that was approved by the school district in Waukesha. A teacher in Waukesha gained national attention last year when the school district suspended her after she pinned a pride flag to her classroom.

I wonder if they still have the Pledge of Allegiance recited in the classroom of this district. Because there is arguably no greater a political act/display than that.

Who is a bigger threat to a classroom? A teacher who wears a necklace with a cross, or some green-haired beast who says the classroom is the student’s safe space.

I’ll hang up and listen for my answer .

if BLM and ANTIFA and Pride flags/items are allowed

NAZI and KKK and Jesus flags/items are allowed as well

be fair, be equal

Who is a bigger threat to a classroom? A teacher who wears a necklace with a cross, or some green-haired beast who says the classroom is the student’s safe space.

The necklace is not a problem - hanging we love god posters in public schools is. And that, IMHO, is worse than pride flags.

Nobody wants to hear or cares about your pronouns and silly fringe beliefs. Stick to education. Why is everyone such a nudnik these days?

Nobody wants to hear or cares about your make believe god and silly resurrection beliefs. Stick to education. Why is everyone such a nudnik these days?
That also applies to trash teachers encouraging kids to come out.
:confused:
Is there something wrong with coming out?

Nobody wants to hear or cares about your pronouns and silly fringe beliefs. Stick to education. Why is everyone such a nudnik these days?

Nobody wants to hear or cares about your make believe god and silly resurrection beliefs. Stick to education. Why is everyone such a nudnik these days?
They can do whatever they want.

Ok so your issue is teacher's offering support to students when they are dealing with troubling issues?

Ok so your issue is teacher's offering support to students when they are dealing with troubling issues?
If you call it that, sure.

The latest theory from some seems to be that leftist teachers are encouraging confused kids to be gay. It’s really ridiculous but a lot of folks seem to believe it.

The latest theory from some seems to be that leftist teachers are encouraging confused kids to be gay. It’s really ridiculous but a lot of folks seem to believe it.
Us hillbilly MAGA gun-totin people are just stupid like that.

As opposed to having kids deny their sexual identity and lying to people pretending to be something they are not? (I don't think staying in the closet is a better choice given the possible negative long mental health issues that can result).

Making fun of yourself doesn’t change the accuracy of what I wrote.

Can you explain the difference between a hillbilly and a redneck?

Not only a green haired beast, but grooming kids as well. I'll take necklace with a cross for $100.

I get the sense a lot of people that talk about what happens in schools do not know what actually happens within those 4 walls because they aren't there in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread