What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No evangelical access to schools, FFRF urges TX school district (1 Viewer)

Amused to Death

Footballguy
More Christian shenanigans.

Stop faith-healing evangelicals coming into your schools, the Freedom From Religion Foundation has told a Texas school district.

The state/church watchdog has been informed that on April 12, a teacher at Cigarroa High School in Laredo, Texas, brought Time to Revive, a religious ministry, to the school to preach and proselytize students. The ministry reportedly handed out bibles to students, as well as multicolored bracelets with various biblical references. Students were told if they didn’t pray they were going to hell. Members of the ministry attempted faith healings and prayed over students, it has also been reported.

Time to Revive is an avowed evangelical ministry that “travels throughout the United States, awakening the Church from her sleepy state and equipping the saints for Christ’s return.” The ministry “partners with the local Church in each community, bringing believers together across denominational lines and inspiring them to obey the Great Commission to go in the power of the Holy Spirit and make disciples.”

It is inappropriate and unconstitutional for the school district to offer church leaders unique access to preach and proselytize students during school hours on school property, FFRF emphasizes. When a school allows church representatives to recruit students for the church, it has unconstitutionally entangled itself with a religious message, in this case Christian. This practice alienates those non-Christian students, teachers, and members of the public whose religious beliefs are inconsistent with the message being disseminated by the school, including the 30 percent of U.S. teenagers who identify as religiously unaffiliated.

I’m not much for the “faith healers(though I absolutely believe God is capable of it, and has done it when regular medicine couldn’t) but yeah, most groups can’t come in and do stuff like this, it’s got to be individually driven. I’d feel the same way if some clerics from a local mosque tried it at a school, too.

Reminds me of a recent story from WV, except there some students were forced to participate. I don't know what these schools are thinking.

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/18/1081678752/west-virginia-school-christian-assembly-lawsuit
Yes, I'm familiar with that case as well. Completely disgusting behavior by the school and teachers. People need to be fired. Again, such Christian arrogance. Follow MY god or burn in hell.

Students, including a Jewish student who asked to leave but was not permitted to do so, were instructed to close their eyes and raise their arms in prayer, according to the lawsuit. The teens were asked to give their lives over to Jesus to find purpose and salvation. Students said they were told that those who did not follow the Bible would go to "face eternal torment."

The mother of the Jewish student who was forced to attend the assembly is among the suit's plaintiffs, along with the Huntington High student who organized last week's walkout.

During the assemblies, students and their families were encouraged to join evening services at a nearby church, where they could be baptized.

Nik Walker Ministries also visited another district school, Huntington East Middle School, on Feb. 1 and held a similar assembly.

Yes, I'm familiar with that case as well. Completely disgusting behavior by the school and teachers. People need to be fired. Again, such Christian arrogance. Follow MY god or burn in hell.

Students, including a Jewish student who asked to leave but was not permitted to do so, were instructed to close their eyes and raise their arms in prayer, according to the lawsuit. The teens were asked to give their lives over to Jesus to find purpose and salvation. Students said they were told that those who did not follow the Bible would go to "face eternal torment."

The mother of the Jewish student who was forced to attend the assembly is among the suit's plaintiffs, along with the Huntington High student who organized last week's walkout.

During the assemblies, students and their families were encouraged to join evening services at a nearby church, where they could be baptized.

Nik Walker Ministries also visited another district school, Huntington East Middle School, on Feb. 1 and held a similar assembly.
Christian theology has been damaged by hundreds of years of preaching that it is our job to convert and save people. If that's goal #1, it justifies all sorts of horrible methods in the name of saving souls.

Users who are viewing this thread