What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Freedom From Religion (1 Viewer)

To be clear, I never mock people's choice of belief. I just want equal protections and freedom to NOT believe. Our Constitution is very clear that the government can't promote any religion over all others, including the right to not be religious. Religious freedom for everyone. Seems simple but as we far too often there are those who think theirs is right and all others are wrong. Or that government should favor their religion/god(s) of choice.

Particularly annoying to me are those who think I need to be "saved" - I just don't know it. And they're going to help me if I just open myself up to Jesus. I try very hard to be respectful in my rebuttal. But some people just push because they're spreading God's word. Bullcrap. Just let me be me and you be you. Again, it seems so simple.

Lately I've been getting far too many religious posts (ads) on my social media. I didn't ask for them. So occasionally I'll make a comment that I'm good with who I am. That seems to open the floodgates for those who see an opportunity to "save" a soul! No matter how much I reject it. My latest one was a post instructing the believers on how to approach atheists and show them the way of Jesus. I made a simple comment, "Nah, I'm good. Live and let live". Apparently the bat signal was lit and I'm a lost soul. One particularly galling reply:

" it’s fantasy to you because you have completely hardened your heart to God. You have no spiritual discernment, so you are incapable of comprehending spiritual things! If you wanted to know the truth, God would allow you to see the truth"

My respectful reply:

I didn't use the word "fantasy", you did. I have my beliefs and I'm good with those. And they don't include trying to get people who have different beliefs to adopt mine.

Have a great day.

Just more of that Christian superiority. 
In many ways, the church has lost its way. It has distorted the mission. The hyper focus on sin and salvation can deter from the mission. For the most part, I think it's good-intentioned, but still distorted and sometimes (often?) harmful. And it's unfortunately a situation that the ill-intentioned people can make even worse. I'm no church historian, but I think this has been going on a long time. Some people have almost no chance of seeing and presenting God differently because certain ideas have been so ingrained for so long.

In my corner of the world, I think it's changing. But that could be because what I listen to and read and the conversations I have are biased towards something other than the usual church methods of saving all the evil sinners. My personal journey has led me on a different understanding of the mission and I see many people on the same journey, including people leading others on that journey.

Former President Donald Trump said during a speech on Saturday that "Americans kneel to God" alone, as the concept of Christian nationalism continues to gain traction among conservatives.

Trump's office did not respond to Insider's request for comment, but the remark comes as Christian nationalism and some of its ideologies have spread among the GOP. Recent reports from The New York Times, The New Yorker, and CNN all suggest Christian nationalism is on the rise, particularly among the far right.

According to Christianity Today, Christian nationalism is "the belief that the American nation is defined by Christianity, and that the government should take active steps to keep it that way." Christian nationalists believe the US is and should remain a "Christian nation."

They also believe in freedom of religion, but that Christianity should have a "privileged position in the public square," the outlet reported.

Link

How is (Christian nationalism) dangerous for America?

Christian nationalism tends to treat other Americans as second-class citizens. If it were fully implemented, it would not respect the full religious liberty of all Americans. Empowering the state through “morals legislation” to regulate conduct always carries the risk of overreaching, setting a bad precedent, and creating governing powers that could be used later be used against Christians. Additionally, Christian nationalism is an ideology held overwhelmingly by white Americans, and it thus tends to exacerbate racial and ethnic cleavages. In recent years, the movement has grown increasingly characterized by fear and by a belief that Christians are victims of persecution. Some are beginning to argue that American Christians need to prepare to fight, physically, to preserve America’s identity, an argument that played into the January 6 riot.

How is Christian nationalism dangerous to the church?

Christian nationalism takes the name of Christ for a worldly political agenda, proclaiming that its program is the political program for every true believer. That is wrong in principle, no matter what the agenda is, because only the church is authorized to proclaim the name of Jesus and carry his standard into the world. It is even worse with a political movement that champions some causes that are unjust, which is the case with Christian nationalism and its attendant illiberalism. In that case, Christian nationalism is calling evil good and good evil; it is taking the name of Christ as a fig leaf to cover its political program, treating the message of Jesus as a tool of political propaganda and the church as the handmaiden and cheerleader of the state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amused to Death said:
Former President Donald Trump said during a speech on Saturday that "Americans kneel to God" alone, as the concept of Christian nationalism continues to gain traction among conservatives.

Trump's office did not respond to Insider's request for comment, but the remark comes as Christian nationalism and some of its ideologies have spread among the GOP. Recent reports from The New York Times, The New Yorker, and CNN all suggest Christian nationalism is on the rise, particularly among the far right.

According to Christianity Today, Christian nationalism is "the belief that the American nation is defined by Christianity, and that the government should take active steps to keep it that way." Christian nationalists believe the US is and should remain a "Christian nation."

They also believe in freedom of religion, but that Christianity should have a "privileged position in the public square," the outlet reported.

Link

How is (Christian nationalism) dangerous for America?

Christian nationalism tends to treat other Americans as second-class citizens. If it were fully implemented, it would not respect the full religious liberty of all Americans. Empowering the state through “morals legislation” to regulate conduct always carries the risk of overreaching, setting a bad precedent, and creating governing powers that could be used later be used against Christians. Additionally, Christian nationalism is an ideology held overwhelmingly by white Americans, and it thus tends to exacerbate racial and ethnic cleavages. In recent years, the movement has grown increasingly characterized by fear and by a belief that Christians are victims of persecution. Some are beginning to argue that American Christians need to prepare to fight, physically, to preserve America’s identity, an argument that played into the January 6 riot.

How is Christian nationalism dangerous to the church?

Christian nationalism takes the name of Christ for a worldly political agenda, proclaiming that its program is the political program for every true believer. That is wrong in principle, no matter what the agenda is, because only the church is authorized to proclaim the name of Jesus and carry his standard into the world. It is even worse with a political movement that champions some causes that are unjust, which is the case with Christian nationalism and its attendant illiberalism. In that case, Christian nationalism is calling evil good and good evil; it is taking the name of Christ as a fig leaf to cover its political program, treating the message of Jesus as a tool of political propaganda and the church as the handmaiden and cheerleader of the state.
Much of hardcore MAGA is Christian Nationalist and we saw what they're capable of on January 6th. This infection is continuing to spread. 

Amused to Death said:
FFRF responds:

Our knees do not bend to a deity.

“This is such an ironic comment,” says FFRF Co-President Dan Barker, “because America is a proudly rebellious nation that fought a revolutionary kicking out the tyrant. We don’t kneel before a sovereign master, king, lord, god.”

In fact, tyrants often pretend deities are on their sides. Trump is repeating what tyrants and warmongers often say, which is that “God is on our side.” Hitler infamously inscribed “Gott Mit Uns” on the buckles of soldiers’ uniforms in Nazi Germany.

FFRF reminds Trump and his followers that the United States was first among nations to separate religion from government and to adopt an entirely godless and secular Constitution whose only references to religion are exclusionary, such as that there shall be no religious test for public office. There certainly can be no religious test for living in the United States.

School Board to Revisit Dress Code

Members of the Hays school board requested a change to the Hays elementary and middle school dress codes after a parent complained about a ban on clothing promoting satanism.

A mother of three students in Hays public schools, Mary Turner, spoke during the public comment period of the school board meeting Monday night.

She said she is a longtime member of the Satanic Temple.

"I raise my children according to the seven tenants of satanism, and while children of other faiths can wear clothing that declares their family's religion," she said, "my family's faith is specifically called out and banned in the school handbook dress code.

"Your own non-discrimination policies state that you do not discriminate against students based on religion. Your own mission says every student in every classroom every day," Turner said.

The Satanic Temple has been a federally recognized church for many years, Turner said.

"Banning Satanic students from wearing clothing that declares their faith while allowing students of all other faiths to wear similar clothing is an act of discrimination," she said.

"I am here to ask that the school board remove satanism from their dress code policy and they no longer blacklist my family's faith and the faith of other families here in Hays as distracting, unsafe or offensive," Turner said.

Superintendent Ron Wilson said the litmus test for the policy is not about moral judgment, but whether the clothing would be considered disruptive.

"It is interesting on the previous page, we have a non-discrimination statement," Zampieri-Lillpopp said. "We have it up on our wall that we value diversity and we value inclusion and then we specifically say the name of one religion in the no list.

"I would challenge someone to put their own religion in that space and see how it feels," she said.

She added any statement could be disruptive if someone twisted it.

"The disruption is not the clothing," Zampieri-Lillpopp said. "The disruption is the person behaving in a disruptive manner."
Update. All hail Christianity, may it reign supreme - I guess. :mad:

Hays school board votes to prohibit satanism in dress code

Posted Aug 07, 2022 11:12 AM

The Hays school board voted Friday morning to prohibit clothing promoting satanism in its dress codes for all schools in the district.
The language was included in student handbooks, which were approved in a meeting Friday morning before the board's annual retreat.

More in link

School Board to Revisit Dress Code

Members of the Hays school board requested a change to the Hays elementary and middle school dress codes after a parent complained about a ban on clothing promoting satanism.

A mother of three students in Hays public schools, Mary Turner, spoke during the public comment period of the school board meeting Monday night.

She said she is a longtime member of the Satanic Temple.

"I raise my children according to the seven tenants of satanism, and while children of other faiths can wear clothing that declares their family's religion," she said, "my family's faith is specifically called out and banned in the school handbook dress code.

"Your own non-discrimination policies state that you do not discriminate against students based on religion. Your own mission says every student in every classroom every day," Turner said.

The Satanic Temple has been a federally recognized church for many years, Turner said.

"Banning Satanic students from wearing clothing that declares their faith while allowing students of all other faiths to wear similar clothing is an act of discrimination," she said.

"I am here to ask that the school board remove satanism from their dress code policy and they no longer blacklist my family's faith and the faith of other families here in Hays as distracting, unsafe or offensive," Turner said.

Superintendent Ron Wilson said the litmus test for the policy is not about moral judgment, but whether the clothing would be considered disruptive.

"It is interesting on the previous page, we have a non-discrimination statement," Zampieri-Lillpopp said. "We have it up on our wall that we value diversity and we value inclusion and then we specifically say the name of one religion in the no list.

"I would challenge someone to put their own religion in that space and see how it feels," she said.

She added any statement could be disruptive if someone twisted it.

"The disruption is not the clothing," Zampieri-Lillpopp said. "The disruption is the person behaving in a disruptive manner."
Update. All hail Christianity, may it reign supreme - I guess. :mad:

Hays school board votes to prohibit satanism in dress code

Posted Aug 07, 2022 11:12 AM

The Hays school board voted Friday morning to prohibit clothing promoting satanism in its dress codes for all schools in the district.
The language was included in student handbooks, which were approved in a meeting Friday morning before the board's annual retreat.

More in link
This is a nation founded upon "Judeo- Christian values", whatever the hell that means.

:frown:

Texas public schools required to display “In God We Trust” posters if they are donated​

A new law requiring Texas schools to display donated “In God We Trust” posters is the latest move by Republican lawmakers to bring Christianity into taxpayer-funded institutions.

Under the law, Senate Bill 797, which passed during last year’s legislative session, schools are required to display the posters if they are donated.

The law went into effect last year, but these posters weren’t popping up then as many school officials and parents were more concerned about new COVID-19 strains and whether their local public school would even open for in-person classes.

The “In God We Trust” law was authored by state Sen. Bryan Hughes, the East Texas Republican who crafted Texas’ Senate Bill 8, which restricted abortion to the first six weeks or so of pregnancy starting Sept. 1, 2021. The abortion law artfully skirted legal challenge by relying on the public instead of law enforcement to enforce it.

Hughes’ “In God We Trust” poster law is also precisely written. Texas public schools or colleges must display the national motto in a “conspicuous place” but only if the poster is “donated” or “purchased by private donations.”

After an appearance for a Northwest Austin Republican Women’s Club event on Tuesday, Hughes touted the new law and praised the groups stepping up to donate the posters.

“The national motto, In God We Trust, asserts our collective trust in a sovereign God,” Hughes wrote on Twitter. “I’m encouraged to see groups like the Northwest [Austin] Republican Women and many individuals coming forward to donate these framed prints to remind future generations of the national motto.”

Patriot Mobile, a Texas-based cellphone company that donates a portion of its customers’ phone bills to conservative, “Christian” causes, on Monday donated several “In God We Trust” signs to all Carroll Independent School District campuses, claiming it is their “mission is to passionately defend our God-given, Constitutional rights and freedoms, and to glorify God always.”

“Patriot Mobile has donated framed posters to many other school districts in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and we will continue to do so until all the schools in the area receive them,” the company said in a Facebook post. “We are honored to be part of bringing God back into our public schools!”

[...]

FFRF reminds Trump and his followers that the United States was first among nations to separate religion from government and to adopt an entirely godless and secular Constitution whose only references to religion are exclusionary, such as that there shall be no religious test for public office. There certainly can be no religious test for living in the United States.
Works for me.

Would be interested to see if someone donated that exact poster but spelled God "Allah." Do the posters still "have" to go up in a conspicuous area?

Texas public schools required to display “In God We Trust” posters if they are donated
:mad:
This is some next level quality trolling here :)

https://onlysky.media/hemant-mehta/...ools-in-god-we-trust-signs-written-in-arabic/

Activist Chaz Stevens is following every word of a Texas law meant to promote God in schools. He just found a loophole.

That’s when it hit him: The law never said “In God We Trust” had to be in English.

Texas public schools required to display “In God We Trust” posters if they are donated

https://onlysky.media/hemant-mehta/...ools-in-god-we-trust-signs-written-in-arabic/

Activist Chaz Stevens is following every word of a Texas law meant to promote God in schools. He just found a loophole.

That’s when it hit him: The law never said “In God We Trust” had to be in English.
Everyone who believes in the first amendment should do something similar. Maybe change 'god' to 'allah' or other names religions use for 'god'.

Everyone who believes in the first amendment should do something similar. Maybe change 'god' to 'allah' or other names religions use for 'god'.
Wouldn't work in this case as the Texas law allows ONLY "In god we trust" with both the US and Texas flags, with no other words or images allowed.

This is something else that future electorates will punish Texas Republicans for. The days of successful state enforcement of religious dogma are long over.

Texas “In God We Trust” posters advance the lie of Christian nationalism

From the link:
While politicians claim that these laws are intended to showcase the national motto or inspire patriotism, it is clear that their true purpose is to peddle religiosity to a captive audience. These laws are about advancing the lie that the United States was “founded on God” or Christianity, dismantling the wall of separation between religion and government.

The motto “In God We Trust” is inaccurate, exclusionary and aimed at brainwashing American schoolchildren into believing that our nation is a theocracy. It was not made the national motto until 1956, amid the Red Scare and fears of “godless” communists. Today, America is less religious than ever, with more than a quarter of Americans identifying as “Nones.” In these politically divided times, it is more important than ever to remind students that we are all Americans, with shared values of democracy and equality under the law. To that end, a poster of the country’s original motto, E Pluribus Unum (from many, [come] one), would be far more unifying and inspiring.

I'm still trying to understand how people think Christian Nationalism is a problem. :doh:

Like this is the least concerning issue of our time.

I'm still trying to understand how people think Christian Nationalism is a problem. :doh:

Its concerning 1) because its a direct violation of the First Amendment (the one that comes before the Second conservatives love so much) and 2) Public schools is not for indoctrinating kids. Religion is dangerous. Enjoy it on your own terms but leave it out of my government. Should be easy.

What Is Christian Nationalism?

I'd prefer if we went back to "mind your business" on our money instead of "in god we trust".

Americans are, or at least at our best, we are religious people. but our government isnt.
E Pluribus Unum was a much better motto.
it's a tremendous. but I think we could use some mind your business right now

Its concerning 1) because its a direct violation of the First Amendment (the one that comes before the Second conservatives love so much) and 2) Public schools is not for indoctrinating kids. Religion is dangerous. Enjoy it on your own terms but leave it out of my government. Should be easy.
Yeah, sure, but the real threat is coming from the Woke who have infected our schools. I feel like this Christian Nationalism thing is merely a smoke screen to distract from that.

No one is concerned about this because this isn't a thing, IMO.

YOU'RE not concerned. People who aren't christians however are. Just keep it out of government like the Constitution says and our forefathers intended. Don't indoctrinate my kids and grandkids into YOUR religion. Pretty simple, right?
Based on feedback in the Evangelical divide thread, many Christians are concerned too. It's a twisting of the faith to fit a political movement which moves Christians away from their purpose.

YOU'RE not concerned. People who aren't christians however are. Just keep it out of government like the Constitution says and our forefathers intended. Don't indoctrinate my kids and grandkids into YOUR religion. Pretty simple, right?
Based on feedback in the Evangelical divide thread, many Christians are concerned too. It's a twisting of the faith to fit a political movement which moves Christians away from their purpose.
Which is why I purposely linked an article from Christianity Today for @BladeRunner. Christian Nationalism is a perversion of Christianity. We don't need or want posters hung in public schools promoting god(s) nor should we have sports coaches indoctrinating their student athletes into their religion of choice. We shouldn't have courtrooms with pictures of Jesus and we certainly shouldn't have government workers refusing to do their jobs because of their "deeply held religious beliefs".

Michael Flynn: From government insider to holy warrior

The thread of Christian nationalism runs through many of Flynn’s events. At one fundraiser, a preacher prayed over him saying that America would stay a Christian nation and that Flynn was “heavy armaments” in the Lord’s quiver. At the Christian Patriot’s Rally at a church in Northern California, Flynn was presented with an assault-style rifle on stage. In Virginia in July, he said pastors “need to be talking about the Constitution from the pulpit as much as the Bible.” In Texas last November, Flynn told a crowd “this is a moment in time where this is good versus evil.”

“If we are going to have one nation under God, which we must, we have to have one religion. One nation under God, and one religion under God, right?” he said.

Yes, Pence believes the right to live your life free of religion is "radical". This is why the recent rise in Christian nationalism is scary. They truly believe Christianity should have favored status. If Pence thinks help is on the way, then he doesn't believe in "freedom of religion", he believes in the freedom to force HIS religion on everyone.

"These lefties want to scrap religion, Mike Pence, and I think it's a terrible mistake," Kudlow griped.

"Well, the radical left believes that the freedom of religion is the freedom from religion. But it's nothing the American founders ever thought of or generations of Americans fought to defend," Pence said.

"You know, I said today here in Houston that the source of our nation's greatness has always been our faith in God, our freedom, and our vast natural resources. And the good news is, that after four years of the Trump-Pence administration, I'm confident that we have a pro-religious freedom majority on the Supreme Court of the United States. And I'm confident that come Election Day, November the 8th, you're gonna see that freedom majority around the country turn out and vote pro-freedom majorities in the House, and in the Senate, and in statehouses around the country," Pence said. "So stay tuned, Larry. Help is on the way."

Users who are viewing this thread