What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (6 Viewers)

I’m not following.  What I wrote earlier is that if alcohol related deaths were 100 times the leading cause of death (an absurd possibility but I was going with it) then I would be for banning alcohol.  It’s not in reality so I’m not.
Banning assault weapons is attacking 1/100th of the problem. I took it as you saying that you would attack the worst of the problem.

Now I see that you are putting a ridiculous threshold (100x that of all other causes of death). That actually makes me think your opinion is an outlier. (and I thought we might be able to find common ground). There have been a lot of numbers used to justify gun regulation. 10x-12x the number of gun deaths per capita vs other developed countries is one. You're saying that we could have the same for alcohol related deaths, and you'd still be a long way from suggesting ban on alcohol.

I'm sorry. It feels like there is an agenda behind the reasoning for any gun ban that doesn't have meaningful results. 

Banning assault weapons is attacking 1/100th of the problem. I took it as you saying that you would attack the worst of the problem.
But, of course, nobody is suggesting it be the only thing done. There needs to be a multi-pronged approach.

I don’t know how many lives such a ban would save.  Some say it wouldn’t save any because people would use alternative weapons just as effectively. I suspect, though, it would save some.

What should make the ban easy is most people don’t think anyone is negatively impacted in a meaningful way by not having such a gun. I, and most people, don’t care that some law abiding, responsible people would have to go without.

That is not the prerequisite for banning something. Lawn darts weren't premeditated deaths. Premeditation only defines the criminal charge. Manslaughter can apply to a gun death or a drunk driving death.
Nice distraction you got going. Whataboutism works! 

Now I see that you are putting a ridiculous threshold (100x that of all other causes of death). That actually makes me think your opinion is an outlier. (and I thought we might be able to find common ground). There have been a lot of numbers used to justify gun regulation. 10x-12x the number of gun deaths per capita vs other developed countries is one. You're saying that we could have the same for alcohol related deaths, and you'd still be a long way from suggesting ban on alcohol.

I'm sorry. It feels like there is an agenda behind the reasoning for any gun ban that doesn't have meaningful results. 
My goodness you’re full of it. 

Banning assault weapons is attacking 1% of what problem?   

Gun deaths.  

Well, I thought we were talking about mass shootings, specifically these school/church/concert shootings

Oh, why don't you care about all gun deaths??!!

I do, but that's not what I was talking about. 

Booze! 

But, of course, nobody is suggesting it be the only thing done. There needs to be a multi-pronged approach.

I don’t know how many lives such a ban would save.  Some say it wouldn’t save any because people would use alternative weapons just as effectively. I suspect, though, it would save some.

What should make the ban easy is most people don’t think anyone is negatively impacted in a meaningful way by not having such a gun. I, and most people, don’t care that some law abiding, responsible people would have to go without.
SC and KC like suggesting that other people are suggesting that only one thing is to be done.  

Wouldn't this apply to the an alcohol ban as well? If we were able to wave a magic wand and remove all guns from this country, there is no doubt that we would all be safer. Gun deaths would plummet to zero. Also, if we were able to wave a magic wand and remove all alcohol from this country, we would also be safer. 

What purpose does alcohol serve to society? Why would it matter if we banned it. I don't care if you are a responsible drinker and have never drank and drove. 

It's an absolute double standard being applied to two inanimate objects that account for thousands of deaths every year. 

Banning assault weapons is attacking 1% of what problem?   

Gun deaths.  

Well, I thought we were talking about mass shootings, specifically these school/church/concert shootings

Oh, why don't you care about all gun deaths??!!

I do, but that's not what I was talking about. 

Booze! 
Try to keep up. Have people complained that CDC doesn't track the specifics of gun deaths due to the NRA? What about tracking the number of alcohol related deaths due to specific types of alcohol? There is no NRA standing in the way of that study. (there could very well be interference by the alcohol lobbyists). If we found out that 95% of all DUI's were a result of someone drinking Bourbon or Gin, would it make sense that we should ban that specific type of alcohol?

This thread didn't exist 5 years ago. It's only because of deaths from mass shootings that we are even having a discussion. 

SC and KC like suggesting that other people are suggesting that only one thing is to be done.  
Please provide a link. 

You're starting to show your group mentality again. Trying to fit in with the clique by attacking the outliers. 

What are the top 3 things being proposed by most of the Democratic candidates?

Wouldn't this apply to the an alcohol ban as well? If we were able to wave a magic wand and remove all guns from this country, there is no doubt that we would all be safer. Gun deaths would plummet to zero. Also, if we were able to wave a magic wand and remove all alcohol from this country, we would also be safer. 

What purpose does alcohol serve to society? Why would it matter if we banned it. I don't care if you are a responsible drinker and have never drank and drove. 

It's an absolute double standard being applied to two inanimate objects that account for thousands of deaths every year. 
This gets back to what the majority of people think being a guiding principle of what should be banned.

Most people can weigh the pros and cons of banning alcohol and come to the conclusion that we shouldn’t ban it.  Are you actually in favor of such a ban or are you just using it as an example?  I suspect the latter.

Most people can weigh the pros and cons of banning assault weapons (as I did) and come to the conclusion that they should be banned.

I get that you don’t agree.  We all never will. 

This gets back to what the majority of people think being a guiding principle of what should be banned.

Most people can weigh the pros and cons of banning alcohol and come to the conclusion that we shouldn’t ban it.  Are you actually in favor of such a ban or are you just using it as an example?  I suspect the latter.

Most people can weigh the pros and cons of banning assault weapons (as I did) and come to the conclusion that they should be banned.

I get that you don’t agree.  We all never will. 
Example.

I use it as a comparison when it comes to deciding what should/shouldn't be banned. (that applies to guns, alcohol, box cutters on planes, lawn darts or whatever). It always comes down to the loss of life. We can save twice as many lives by banning alcohol. I know, everyone says that we won't be able to ban alcohol because we tried 100 years ago. Those same people don't take into account that there is no guarantee that an assault weapons ban (or any gun ban) will be effective either. It's interesting that that prohibition lasted 13 years and people can make definitive conclusions that it wouldn't work now, a century later. However, we had an assault weapons ban two decades ago that lasted 10 years. People are convinced that it will be the effective, even though there are experts that feel the results are inconclusive. It's another example of a double standard being applied. 

I guess it comes down to justifying the change. (specifically bans) If we want to come into this thread each time there is a mass shooting and call for change, then it's about the loss of lives. I believe all lives are equal. The cause is no greater due to the social acceptance of an item. Do we have an obligation to protect our children from gunfire, alcohol, lawn darts, or PCP?

Not going to dig through the past pages for that.  I will be sure to point it out to you if one of you seem to be suggesting that people only want bans or only care about banning guns though.  

Not going to dig through the past pages for that.  I will be sure to point it out to you if one of you seem to be suggesting that people only want bans or only care about banning guns though.  

Please provide a link. 

You're starting to show your group mentality again. Trying to fit in with the clique by attacking the outliers. 

What are the top 3 things being proposed by most of the Democratic candidates?

You obviously want to make a point, so make it.  

I don't have my notes with me on the average top 3 things Democratic candidates are proposing.  

Last edited by a moderator:
You obviously want to make a point, so make it.  

I don't have my notes with me on the average top 3 things Democratic candidates are proposing.  
You know what they are without looking. It's background checks, gun bans and closing the gun show loophole. 

I understand now that it's not about saving lives. It's about removing weapons that people think shouldn't be allowed in the hands of citizens. Would that have happened without the proliferation of mass shootings over the past decade? Some here are telling me it would. Data proves otherwise. 

Would background checks, closing the gun show loopholes, and red flag laws do enough to reduce the number of gun deaths and mass shootings. While also not infringing on the rights of law abiding gun owners? Perhaps. But, that's not what people are trying to accomplish. They aren't looking for a win-win compromise. They are wanting to ban certain weapons. And mass shootings are just a convenient way for them to achieve that goal. They stir the pot by instilling fear in elementary school children, then claim we need to protect our kids from the a treat as frequent as lightning strikes. 

Thanks, I understand now. And as a result, I'm more resolute in my stance that banning is not the first step. Implement universal background checks and red flag laws, close the gun show loophole and track the data for 10 years before any other changes can be made. 

It's cool, you seem to agree with a majority of the proposals they are making but one.  Evidently that one would be a deal breaker.  

Lastly, I feel that a good portion of the discussion also includes what one side would probably consider a compromise of sorts in that they are suggesting things that would still allow for hunting and defending.   I understand how the other side would have the impulse to dig their heels in on that since they would see it as non-gun owners not giving up anything. I guess my hope is that there are more gun owners like DW and less like SC.  

Keep in mind, there are 2 people here (that tend to be lumped together) in SC and myself. Even though there are others that align with our point of view, but don't feel like putting a target on their back. SC and I are having discussions with 10 different people. I try to answer every question and have an honest discussion with each. You (and others) have to concentrate on discussions with 2 people. And I'm not talking about a discussion with the others that you agree with. So, it comes off as being lazy when I'm tasked with answering questions, but others take a lackadaisical approach to answering mine. Intentional or not, it makes things seem disingenuous.  

Didn't disappoint with that rant.  
It wasn't a rant. It's the truth. Do you disagree that the purpose of the assault weapons ban is not because of mass shootings, but because a majority of the population believes that assault weapons should not be in the hands of civilians?

It's cool, you seem to agree with a majority of the proposals they are making but one.  Evidently that one would be a deal breaker.  
I've been advocating universal background checks and gun show loophole since day one. You know that. I've also been one of the very few that are looking for a win-win. Also one of the few that remove emotion from the conversation. I guess that's expected on a left leaning board. 

Why ban a gun that is used in 2% of gun violence?  Here’s what rational people see:

Poway: AR-15

Aurora: AR-15

Orlando: AR-15

Parkland: AR-15

Las Vegas: AR-15

Sandy Hook: AR-15

Waffle House: AR-15

San Bernardino: AR-15

Midland/Odessa: AR-15

Sutherland Springs: AR-15

Tree of Life Synagogue: AR-15

I don’t care whether someone may not get to shoot at targets or varmints with their gun of choice.

Why ban a gun that is used in 2% of gun violence?  Here’s what rational people see:

Poway: AR-15

Aurora: AR-15

Orlando: AR-15

Parkland: AR-15

Las Vegas: AR-15

Sandy Hook: AR-15

Waffle House: AR-15

San Bernardino: AR-15

Midland/Odessa: AR-15

Sutherland Springs: AR-15

Tree of Life Synagogue: AR-15

I don’t care whether someone may not get to shoot at targets or varmints with their gun of choice.
Now you’ve done it