Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Evilgrin 72

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Posted (edited)

So Fant and all the corners and receivers were there. Let’s hope hindsight is kind. 

Edited by Leeroy Jenkins

Cannot believe not a single one of you have mentioned how boss Mean Joe's suit was yet.  Philistines.  (Bush's....outfit?....was also, I guess I'd call it interesting.)

Even if Bush completely tanks, this was the guy from this crop that they needed and it was worth making the attempt to ensure they landed him.  Over and above any of the CBs, even though I like a few of them too, Bush is basically a tailor made fit for what they lost when Shazier got hurt.  Rather see them do this than stand pat and wind up reaching for a late 2nd/early 3rd round talent at 20.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

The only way Sweat was making it down to #20 was something bad that caused his stock to drop.  Maybe you can have traded less to move up around 15 area but if you are going to trade up for a LB definitely go with Bush

Sweat just went 26th to the Redskins

I'm happy with how things turned out. I didn't like any mock that had us taking a CB in the first, and while Sweat could be good, he does have flaws in his game and a potential heart condition.  A 2nd and future 3rd are a lot, but it could have been worse. Also, having the high 3rd and Lev's comp next year helps make up for that. I'm hoping that either some great players fall to us, or we use some of the later picks to jump up into the 2nd or move up in the 3rd.

I'm hoping for a WR and CB with our next 2 picks, preferably AJ Brown or Kelvin Harmon, and Greedy or Byron or Justin Layne or Rock or Lonnie Johnson. I think it's likely that Kelvin and Lonnie or Layne falls to our picks. 

Bush is a beast, the best player on a great defense, Jim Harbaugh's favorite player, and the outright leader. He'll be the QB of our defense for years and be a solid replacement for Shazier. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bucksoh said:

I agree but ilb are a dime a dozen.  They are the rb of defense stupid trade!

Seems like the Steelers have gone through about a dozen guys there since Shazier went down.  Maybe it was time to move on from the blue light specials.

• Like 1

I love the pick and shocked they pulled it off. To move into top 10, they didn't give up as much as I thought they would have.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I think this was a pretty sound deal assuming Bush is what he's touted to be. The Steelers probably looked at their 3rd from Oakland as essentially a late 2nd. So, in their minds at least, they received a top linebacker and essentially still have two day 2 picks in a draft that holds a lot of talent in those rounds.  Of course, if they still feel the need, they have enough late round picks to try and move up further. :towelwave:

Colbert

Edited by Franknbeans
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Idiot Boxer said:

It’s a little more than I’d have preferred giving up, but I like the pick

Really?   Considering they have that high #3 they essentially still have a 2nd plus they should get back a #3 next year with a compensatory pick.   I thought it was a GREAT trade,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Really?   Considering they have that high #3 they essentially still have a 2nd plus they should get back a #3 next year with a compensatory pick.   I thought it was a GREAT trade,

Great is a stretch. I think it was a good move but an impatient one and one made out of fear and uncertainty. I like that they didn’t attach themselves to Barron or Williams as a long term answer but I think for all the talk about the top two LB’s athleticism there are certainly other highly athletic ILB’s in this draft. Especially considering he will probably be rotating in and not heavily relied upon year one. The corners, Sweat, Tillery, Fant, all the WR’s and some solid OT’s were there at 20. They didn’t need to be hell bent on replacing Shazier even if it’s still been a sore spot.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Bojang0301 said:

Great is a stretch. I think it was a good move but an impatient one and one made out of fear and uncertainty. I like that they didn’t attach themselves to Barron or Williams as a long term answer but I think for all the talk about the top two LB’s athleticism there are certainly other highly athletic ILB’s in this draft. Especially considering he will probably be rotating in and not heavily relied upon year one. The corners, Sweat, Tillery, Fant, all the WR’s and some solid OT’s were there at 20. They didn’t need to be hell bent on replacing Shazier even if it’s still been a sore spot.

I like Bush over the players you mentioned and it was the position of greatest need.   It also came at a very affordable price.  We will just have to agree to disagree

• Like 3

I wouldn't have traded our 20th and Antonio Brown for Devin Bush and a 5th, but we essentially did that plus a little.

I like Bush.  I hope he's what we need to lock down the middle.

But we have more needs than just ILB.  I feel like we are sacrificing a position player by giving up that second.  I'm guessing it's the Edge guy.

1 minute ago, Idiot Boxer said:

I wouldn't have traded our 20th and Antonio Brown for Devin Bush and a 5th, but we essentially did that plus a little.

I like Bush.  I hope he's what we need to lock down the middle.

But we have more needs than just ILB.  I feel like we are sacrificing a position player by giving up that second.  I'm guessing it's the Edge guy.

That's an odd way of looking at it.  Keeping Antonio Brown was not an option and they still have 8 picks.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Godsbrother said:

That's an odd way of looking at it.  Keeping Antonio Brown was not an option and they still have 8 picks.  

It's early to judge the trade.  We'll have a better idea after the weekend and a better idea still in a few years.  

10 picks with four in the top three rounds is significantly different than 9 picks with three in the top 3.  

In round three, we have two picks.  If we pick up a CB and a WR, we're leaving an EDGE player until later...maybe you find a diamond in the rough or maybe you like DuPree, but you're giving up on someone like Winovich.  

So, yes, I feel like it was a little high of a price, but not outrageously so.  And if Bush is as good as we hope he is, it will have been worth it.

1 minute ago, Idiot Boxer said:

It's early to judge the trade.  We'll have a better idea after the weekend and a better idea still in a few years.  

10 picks with four in the top three rounds is significantly different than 9 picks with three in the top 3.  

In round three, we have two picks.  If we pick up a CB and a WR, we're leaving an EDGE player until later...maybe you find a diamond in the rough or maybe you like DuPree, but you're giving up on someone like Winovich.  

So, yes, I feel like it was a little high of a price, but not outrageously so.  And if Bush is as good as we hope he is, it will have been worth it.

We won't know how any of these picks turn out for a while.  For now all we can do is evaluate what they gave up to move into the top 10 to get him.  Giving up a mid #2 and next year's #3 to move up 10 spots was pretty good, especially when you still have 8 picks to play with.

To me the AB thing doesn't come into play at all -- that's been water under the bridge for more than a month

• Like 1

Jeremy Fowler‏Verified account @JFowlerESPN

One AFC exec told me Devin Bush was his second-best player in the draft behind Kyler Murray. Steelers aren't simply filling a need. They are getting one of the better overall players in the field. He has 4.4 speed and loves to hit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

We won't know how any of these picks turn out for a while.  For now all we can do is evaluate what they gave up to move into the top 10 to get him.  Giving up a mid #2 and next year's #3 to move up 10 spots was pretty good, especially when you still have 8 picks to play with.

To me the AB thing doesn't come into play at all -- that's been water under the bridge for more than a month

Which is why I don’t think trading up can ever be called great. I trust the Steelers and Colbert. They’ve had their misses but they’ve rarely come at LB and even more rare on a move up in the first. That doesn’t mean they aren’t negating value. Though I will say, I appreciate that they were the ones that set the price if they made the move. Most teams (like the Saints in ‘18) get the crap kicked out of them when there is a perception there is only one strong tier at a position of need.

Just now, Leeroy Jenkins said:

So what do the draft charts say about moving into the middle of round 2 to get a guy like AJ Brown?

"Jimmy Johnson chart" says both 3rd round picks move you to #15 in the 2nd round. "Chase Stuart chart" says the Steelers' own pick in the 3rd plus their 4th roudn pick does it.

Definitely would not give up both 3rds to move up...and based on Colbert/Tomlin's talk about having 2 day 2 picks, neither would they.  Particularly when the WR class is this deep.

Not sure why you move up to get Brown when you can stand pat and get Campbell or Boykin or Ridley or Butler or...

Probably the only guy I move up for is Deebo, and then only with the 3/4 Chase Stuart chart model.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Franknbeans said:

One AFC exec told me Devin Bush was his second-best player in the draft behind Kyler Murray. Steelers aren't simply filling a need. They are getting one of the better overall players in the field. He has 4.4 speed and loves to hit.

Kevin Colbert is an AFC exec....

• Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bojang0301 said:

No thanks on any of the cb, sweat, OT or tillery at 20. If they wouldn't have traded to 10, the broncos could have a taken Fant there. Without that trade you don't know how the round goes and who ends up being there at 20. Butterfly effect.

since they traded up to get him, I could see him stating from day 1 ( if they think he is ready) and playing a huge role

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 1

I liked the pick. Maybe a little over paid but not terrible imo

My guess at how many of each position get drafted in round two -

CB 5

S 5

Edge 5

DL 3

C 2

G 2

T 3

TE 2

RB 3

QB 2

In round 3 here's some  players that could/should be still on the board  at positions the Steelers have strong interest in

WR  -- Hardman, Ridley, Mc Laurin, Hardman, JJ Arcega-Whteside, Boykin, Hall   

CB -- Bunting, Love, Oruwariye, Long,  Lonnie Johnson

S -- Hooker

LB -- Okereke, Pratt

30 minutes ago, belljr said:

I liked the pick. Maybe a little over paid but not terrible imo

I cant find "the chart" right now but wasn't it appropriate value based on that?

If you believe in the chart, I think the Steelers gave up 1420 in value for 1300 or so.  

15 minutes ago, moondog said:

Here's a good take IMO from Steelers Depot on players the Steelers are interested in on day 2 - 

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/steelers-draft-options-day-two/

If they could somehow get Layne or CGJ and Boykin I would consider that an A+ day 2. To go with an A+ day one

So here's the downside of the Bush trade...

If it falls this way, we still haven't addressed CB.

I don't hate the WR pick.  Very lukewarm on the Edge pick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-2019-day-2-broncos-get-their-qb-eagles-stop-d-k-metcalfs-fall-cowboys-start-with-safety/

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:

So here's the downside of the Bush trade...

If it falls this way, we still haven't addressed CB.

I don't hate the WR pick.  Very lukewarm on the Edge pick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-2019-day-2-broncos-get-their-qb-eagles-stop-d-k-metcalfs-fall-cowboys-start-with-safety/

I would be okay with it playing out like that, I like both players, but I doubt that it will.   This is a deep CB class, if the Steelers really want a corner they can get one.  

The important thing is the biggest need on defense has been filled.   If they didn't get better in the middle the defense was going to suck.

Edited by Godsbrother
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I would be okay with it playing out like that, I like both players, but I doubt that it will.   This is a deep CB class, if the Steelers really want a corner they can get one.  

The important thing is the biggest need on defense has been filled.   If they didn't get better in the middle the defense was going to suck.

They will need to trade the raider pick and 4/5 to move up and get a corner that they like and then hope one of the receivers that they like is there at the end of 3. 

7 hours ago, Franknbeans said:

Lol.  That exec needs fired if he has Kyler Murray as the best player in the draft.  He is a 3rd-4th round talent, he's gonna go down as the worst in draft history imo!

All kinds of options at 66.

Hakeem Butler or Myles Boykin or Chase Winovich or Love. 

Would have taken the Mich St CB, but WR is ok...just confused by the actual pick

Bad pick, spin it how you want. It’s a reach and they are being very non Pittsburgh in this trying to fill perceived holes. Winovich or Butler would have been great. Why not trade down after trading up earlier?

PFF posted a defense of the pick. I need to look at this a bit more especially Johnson’s Sophomore year vs Junior year. I’m guessing some sort of injury was involved. 

Surprised by the pick but they're saying great route runner. Thought they would have gone Michigan st db.

Honestly never heard of him prior to the pick, so I watched a bit in the last 10 minutes or so.  At least he's got burst?  That's about all I can say about him.  But I know I don't like Washington so maybe this is the guy?

Posted (edited)

I’m not about to argue about any WR picked by this organization.  At least since Troy Edwards. 

Edited by Blick
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

:shrug:

I’m happy 

4 minutes ago, Blick said:

I’m not about to argue about any WR picked by this organization.  At least since Troy Edwards. 

not upset by the pick but feel they could have traded back and still got him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blick said:

Limas Sweed down?

• Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Godsbrother said:

Limas Sweed down?

Well him too.