What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

So here's the downside of the Bush trade...

If it falls this way, we still haven't addressed CB.

I don't hate the WR pick.  Very lukewarm on the Edge pick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-2019-day-2-broncos-get-their-qb-eagles-stop-d-k-metcalfs-fall-cowboys-start-with-safety/
I would be okay with it playing out like that, I like both players, but I doubt that it will.   This is a deep CB class, if the Steelers really want a corner they can get one.  

The important thing is the biggest need on defense has been filled.   If they didn't get better in the middle the defense was going to suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be okay with it playing out like that, I like both players, but I doubt that it will.   This is a deep CB class, if the Steelers really want a corner they can get one.  

The important thing is the biggest need on defense has been filled.   If they didn't get better in the middle the defense was going to suck.
They will need to trade the raider pick and 4/5 to move up and get a corner that they like and then hope one of the receivers that they like is there at the end of 3. 

Jeremy Fowler‏Verified account @JFowlerESPN

One AFC exec told me Devin Bush was his second-best player in the draft behind Kyler Murray. Steelers aren't simply filling a need. They are getting one of the better overall players in the field. He has 4.4 speed and loves to hit.
Lol.  That exec needs fired if he has Kyler Murray as the best player in the draft.  He is a 3rd-4th round talent, he's gonna go down as the worst in draft history imo!

Bad pick, spin it how you want. It’s a reach and they are being very non Pittsburgh in this trying to fill perceived holes. Winovich or Butler would have been great. Why not trade down after trading up earlier?

PFF posted a defense of the pick. I need to look at this a bit more especially Johnson’s Sophomore year vs Junior year. I’m guessing some sort of injury was involved. 

Honestly never heard of him prior to the pick, so I watched a bit in the last 10 minutes or so.  At least he's got burst?  That's about all I can say about him.  But I know I don't like Washington so maybe this is the guy?

read on a Steelers message board (take with a huge grain of salt) Mel Kiper called him the best route runner in the draft

from USA Today...

Johnson was one of the most versatile players in college football players in the country last season. He’s undersized but speedy and had a significant impact as a receiver as well as a return man

Pro Football Focus's Mike Renner lists Toledo WR Diontae Johnson as a potential sleeper in the 2019 NFL Draft class.

"There might not be a more electric player with the ball in his hands than Johnson in this class," writes Renner. Thompson's concerns mostly come from his size, and the fact that his athletic testing (4.53 second 40-yard dash) was only average. "This past season, he was hampered by a downgrade at quarterback from Logan Woodside and a newfound drop habit (eight drops on 57 catchable passes), but the playmaking ability remained," writes Renner. "Johnson broke 10 tackles on his 49 catches in 2018." Assuming he's a Day 3 selection -- and he almost assuredly is - the potential added value is palpable.

Don't mind the WR that much.  Gives them a different sort of option than Washington to try to develop, and there's at least a shot he could wind up being a plus on punts/kicks with how he moves with the ball in his hands.  (ETA:  Seeing that last season he had TDs over 80 yards as a receiver, KR and PR.  Looks like the guy can make plays, regardless of what his 40 time was clocked at).

Also....drafting Thompson doesn't preclude them taking a second WR later.  I actually expect them to.

Really nothing to not like about Layne given where they landed him.  I wish he'd have been able to turn more of his PDs into INTs, but at least he's good at playing the ball.

Layne is an in-your-face size/speed/athleticism freak on the outside who wins with an ultra-physical nature at the line of scrimmage and when playing the ball at any level of the field. Not a true burner. It doesn't matter. His route-recognition skills, length, and recovery speed will keep him around the football frequently. 

When I looked up Layne I found articles from Seahawks and Lions sites- both of them wanted him, both considered him a steal. On the Seattle site apparently Pete Carroll loves him. Always a good sign...

Recent mock drafts from NFL.com and Pro Football Focus have Layne being selected on Day 2 (No. 67 to San Francisco and No. 34 to Indianapolis). CBS Sports' mock draft placed Layne at the end of the first round. And Bleacher Report's final version had Layne going 49th overall. Longtime ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said this week he sees Layne going as high as late in the first round and as low as the middle of the second.

Layne joins Waynes (first round, 2015), Tony Lippett (fifth round, 2015), Darqueze Dennard (first round, 2014) and Chris Rucker (sixth round, 2011) as Spartan cornerbacks who were drafted after playing at MSU for Dantonio.

"He reminds me a lot of Trae Waynes, really, in a lot of ways," Dantonio said of Layne at pro day in March. "He's long, he can really catch the football, he's got good raw speed, and he can run and jump. And he can tackle. I think if you can tackle at this level, good things are ahead of you in the secondary."

“I know I’m faster than what I ran at the combine,” Johnson said. “Once I get the ball in my hands, I play way faster.”

(Receivers Coach) Drake raved about Johnson’s skill set, calling him the “most natural catcher I’ve seen in awhile” and saying he was impressed with his play against press coverage.

“As you guys know, this is a press league. DBs walk up in your face and they try to fingerprint you,” Drake said. “He’s very elusive at the line of scrimmage, and you need a guy that can get off the ball. He gets in and out of his breaks as well as anybody I’ve seen in a long time.”

“Winning at the line of scrimmage,” Johnson said of his greatest strength. “Catching the ball in traffic. I can run any route in the route tree.

“Being able to know how to adjust on certain coverages. Knowing when to stop and do counter moves. That’s what I take pride in.”

“My dad threw away all his Browns stuff,” said Layne, who claimed he had a feeling the Steelers would pick him. “He already has all of his Steelers stuff on him right now. We are ready, we are switching it up.”

Drake on Johnson: We all talk, receiver coaches talk. He was the one guy everybody talked about, and there wasn’t one guy who didn’t like this guy. #Steelers

The Steelers believed he would not be available with their second of two third-round picks, and they felt pressured to draft Diontae Johnson with their first in the round because they knew the Tampa Bay Buccaneers would take him one spot later. So here we are.

I’m more ok with the Diontae Johnson Pick today than last night. WR’s can definitely win as technicians and not match every statistical metric from college. Johnson’s sophomore season would have lines up a lot more with what I look at. I’m nervous about him but it’s also a team that gets some cushion for repeated successful evaluations at the position. Really hoping Layne hits. I know jack about corners. I know he was mentioned on Josh Norris’ big board show when trying to build out a top 10. Said he had trouble adjusting to the ball, which was also mentioned by Jeremiah. Have to like the history though: former 4 star WR converted to CB. It’s not a wonder he is probably still raw. 

I really hate that Myles Boykin is a Raven
The Ravens seem to think a WR corps of Michael Crabtree, John Brown and Willie Snead was the problem with their passing game and that some rookie WRs is going to cure it.  I tend to think the issue is the guy throwing the ball (or not throwing the ball, as the case may be), so I welcome them wasting picks on WRs.

ZH: What is my team getting if they spend a draft pick on you in this draft? What separates you from other receivers in this class?

DJ: Just my versatility. I can play both in and out and even special teams too. A lot of receivers in this draft don’t play special teams, they are just receivers. I feel like I have the upper hand on them because I can play special teams and receiver. There aren’t too many people that can do things with the ball in their hand like I can and make people miss like I can. I’m just being humble about it but I just feel like I’m better than anybody they compare me to.

I’m just being humble about it but I just feel like I'm better than anybody they compare me to.
I have no problem with his attitude, but humble? :lmao:

I will give you guys (the Steelers) this: You know your receivers in the later rounds. I'd trust the brain trust on this.

Users who are viewing this thread