What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Offseason (June/July/August) Waivers (1 Viewer)

drunken slob

Footballguy
So a dynasty league that I am co-commissioner of has some members wanting to be able to perform waiver wire acquisitions and drops from the beginning of June right on through the end of the season.

I myself am not a fan of these moves during the summer. My main reason being, most of the guys in the league have families / jobs that take them out of town and some just treat the offseason as such and check out to handle other matters such as vacations.

I started this thread just to get a gage on how any of the members here handle this or just have a philosophy in general regarding the offseason and transactions. I already know that this league will adopt the summer period transactions. So I'm also seeking input on how your league either makes these moves (or ability to make them) equitable or do you just have a, "Hero or Zero," approach.

TIA

:banned:

In my experience, anything that encourages activity and participation year-round is good for the health of the league.  

I suppose if you have very casual owners who want a break, it may be different.  But when I launched my last dynasty league, there was discussion about a "league offseason" between Super Bowl and draft that was roundly voted down.  We have wheeling and dealing going on year round and I think have fun with it.

To keep things gentle on those with travel and family commitments, maybe stick to weekly, or even every-two-week waivers, with a rolling waiver order throughout the summer.  That way they need only check in periodically to feel like they are on top of things.  

With more active owners, you can "simulate" first come first served without having working people racing for their mice to respond to news if you use daily waivers.  That's what we do, and it seems to work.

In my experience, anything that encourages activity and participation year-round is good for the health of the league.  

I suppose if you have very casual owners who want a break, it may be different.  But when I launched my last dynasty league, there was discussion about a "league offseason" between Super Bowl and draft that was roundly voted down.  We have wheeling and dealing going on year round and I think have fun with it.

To keep things gentle on those with travel and family commitments, maybe stick to weekly, or even every-two-week waivers, with a rolling waiver order throughout the summer.  That way they need only check in periodically to feel like they are on top of things.  

With more active owners, you can "simulate" first come first served without having working people racing for their mice to respond to news if you use daily waivers.  That's what we do, and it seems to work.
:goodposting:

We implemented once-a-month WW runs last season starting March 1st and going through July 1st.  Our rookie draft then takes place in July. All the WW runs use the $1,000 FAAB for the season. This has worked well so far. We had a couple pickups each month. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My dynasty opens FA immediately after the July rookie draft and no roster limit in place (so no waivers) until NFL teams must trim to 53. However, we have a unique credit allotment system so those who are too active before the season may end up cutting a lot of what they used their credits on, and need to trade for credits for in-season FA needs.

Users who are viewing this thread