Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Shooting at high school in Florida

They rolled in a tank.

The Broward County Sheriff's Office in Florida is responding to reports of a shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. There are reports of victims.

Aerial footage from CNN affiliate WSVN showed a number of people lying on the ground outside the school, being treated for injuries and moved to ambulances.

Dozens of police vehicles are on site, including one tank, along with a team of heavily armed law enforcement officers.

####### A... Just heard on CNNGo at least 20 people are injured, this sounds bad.

ETA: They're saying the shooter was outside the school, the fire alarm was also pulled inside the school. 

This sounds like a Columbine situation.

Obviously the information is fluid, but hoping it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Edited by fantasycurse42

3 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

####### A... Just heard on CNNGo at least 20 people are injured, this sounds bad.

ETA: They're saying the shooter was outside the school, the fire alarm was also pulled inside the school. 

This sounds like a Columbine situation.

Obviously the information is fluid, but hoping it isn't as bad as it sounds.

If this was a student using their parent's guns, I want the parents charged for every bullet fired.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

When is enough enough?

Popeye defined it as being al he can stands 'cos he can't stands no more.  It would be nice if we didn't have to get to that standard on this issue, but if we did, I, myself, am there. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, St. Louis Bob said:

Every time, literally makes me want to cry, every, time. 

Scares the hell out of me for the safety of my boys.  :( 

Every ####### time.  I thank GOD this is not my kids.   So ####### crazy. 

Edited by SHIZNITTTT

2 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Too soon to talk about gun control.   Or, is it too late to talk about gun control? 

Too soon. I'm a big believer in reasonable gun control, but until we know the details, who fired the guns, how they were obtained....it's too soon, because until then the discussion is irrelevant. I don't think it's in bad taste, but it's just not relevant.

• Like 1

Fox reporting suspect possibly in custody.

ETA: "person of interest" in custody

Edited by fantasycurse42

Just now, timschochet said:

Too soon. I'm a big believer in reasonable gun control, but until we know the details, who fired the guns, how they were obtained....it's too soon, because until then the discussion is irrelevant. I don't think it's in bad taste, but it's just not relevant.

I think the discussion is always relevant. The occurrence of yet another shooting shouldn't be the only time we talk, or not talk, about it.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Limp Ditka said:

Why is a tank this readily available?

My high school is located about quarter mile from a national guard reserve base. They've parked tanks and other heavy artillery in their lot back in the day. Not sure if that's the case here, but they could be quick to mobilize I suppose.

I need to walk away. 

Some of you are ####### sick in the head. 

Thoughts and prayers to the families effected, just horrible. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

How is the suspect in custody?   How is the "suspect" not dead?    

Personally I'm glad. If we're ever going to get a handle on this (and I appreciate that's a big if,) we need to understand these people. And that means keeping them alive if possible.

• Like 2

One impression that I'm getting from CNN- as terrible as it was, many lives were saved because the schools practiced "active shooter" drills- where to hide, etc. :thumbup:

Obviously, it's sad that we live in an age where such drills are necessary, but even so, apparently they worked to some degree.

• Like 3

Law enforcement around here offers active shooter classes free of charge to schools. My buddy who does the training has told me numerous times they have been turned down by local school officials because the training MAY scare the kids.

30 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

Looking like they got somebody of interest alive and in custody. They have death sentence in FL?

We do but not for minors. So depending of the age of the bad guy he may not be eligible for death penalty. 

3 minutes ago, George Jefferson Airplane said:

Jeez, that is really sad.  I was gonna turn on the news to get the info, but I don't have the spirit. 

I'm becoming numb to this stuff (and horrific news in general).  I haven't spoken to anyone about it at work and have only popped into this thread a few times for updates.

10 years ago my day would have come to a standstill over this.  Now I treat it like any other news report.  

Just now, Jayrod said:

I'm becoming numb to this stuff (and horrific news in general).  I haven't spoken to anyone about it at work and have only popped into this thread a few times for updates.

10 years ago my day would have come to a standstill over this.  Now I treat it like any other news report.  

Terrorism stuff too.  Sad times. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

Law enforcement around here offers active shooter classes free of charge to schools. My buddy who does the training has told me numerous times they have been turned down by local school officials because the training MAY scare the kids.

I'm kind of thinking they should be mandatory for all public schools.

• Like 2