What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRADE THREAD- President Trump signs Phase One of China agreement, China promises to double its purchases in 2020 (1 Viewer)

Per reporting, on this same day that Nancy Pelosi announced articles of impeachment against President Trump, she is also announcing a breakthrough on his new deal with Canada and Mexico, which would be a significant victory for Trump. 
Curious to see if this version is the one with all the worker protections and if it is, the reaction from the "free trade" guys.  

GOP senators worry Trump made 'problematic' concessions in trade deal

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), an adviser to Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), said a deal that the AFL-CIO's endorsed "could be problematic," but vowed to reserve judgement until senators got a presentation on the agreement.

"I just hope he hasn't gone too far in Speaker Pelosi's direction, and the AFL-CIO's direction that he might lose some support here," he said. "My concern is that what the administration presented has now been moved demonstrably to Democrats, the direction that they wanted." 

Did Pelosi just play trump and one-up him on an art of a deal? 

Democrats and Republicans working together? Truly the apocalypse is nigh!

Kidding of course(kinda), but I need to see results before I'm convinced it'll work.

Democrats and Republicans working together? Truly the apocalypse is nigh!

Kidding of course(kinda), but I need to see results before I'm convinced it'll work.
Id like to see the full ratified deal.  Will be interesting to see how it actually differs from NAFTA.

Wasn't Nafta 2.0 (U SCAM?) originally just the original NAFTA with very few if any meaningful changes?
Yes....the big changes that the Dems were proposing were around protecting US workers.  Somehow that was left out of the Trump version.  It'll be interesting to see if those changes made it in and how the "free trade" people will react given those protections are, in principle, absolutely against their ideals.

This thread is so funny.  It's almost like you all just live in an entire house together sitting around the CNN channel and eating popcorn.  Pelosi trying to save face by this Impeachment disaster and to create a positive spin for the Democrats.  This forum eats it all up.  

This is a HUGE win for Trump

This thread is so funny.  It's almost like you all just live in an entire house together sitting around the CNN channel and eating popcorn.  Pelosi trying to save face by this Impeachment disaster and to create a positive spin for the Democrats.  This forum eats it all up.  

This is a HUGE win for Trump
Can you explain the significant differences between this new deal and NAFTA? This question is not meant to be a challenge; I honestly can’t figure it out, and President Trump keeps asserting how great this deal is and how terrible NAFTA was. But nobody has explained this. Tia

Can you explain the significant differences between this new deal and NAFTA? This question is not meant to be a challenge; I honestly can’t figure it out, and President Trump keeps asserting how great this deal is and how terrible NAFTA was. But nobody has explained this. Tia
No idea what CNN is saying about it, but the initial sticking point with Democrats was the lack of protections for workers according to Reuters.  If those are in there, then both sides "win" and the American workers will actually be protected a little bit more which would be a difference.  I don't think there is much else different that will have a significant impact.  The initial proposal was virtually the same thing as NAFTA with a few little tweaks here and there that wouldn't really impact the American public in any meaningful way.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/10/politics/nafta-us-mexico-canada-trade-deal-differences/index.html

I heard an analyst say it’s 90% NAFTA. So, basically the old deal with some new provisions that seem fine to me.  Of course, that should mean that if NAFTA was “perhaps the worst trade deal ever” USMCA should still be bad in Trump’s eyes.  However, we know it’s politics, not logic.

Still, though, I’m glad this is getting done.

what did Pelosi say about it ?

This would have never have happened without Donald Trump - this is a better deal for American's isn't it? Orchestrated by Trump and finally accepted by Democrats right ?

Stealthycat said:
what did Pelosi say about it ?

This would have never have happened without Donald Trump - this is a better deal for American's isn't it? Orchestrated by Trump and finally accepted by Democrats right ?
It hasn't happened yet....we should all know that until it does, it hasn't....especially with this guy :shrug:

The worker protections seem to be the most significant part of this bill in terms of change.  It takes the legs out from under the "free trade" guys by building some more barriers too.  Will be interesting to see what actually makes it through the Senate and the President.

Trump wasn't the hold up on this deal and he brokered it right ?

"There is no question, of course, that this trade agreement is much better than NAFTA," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said at a press conference announcing her caucus's support of the agreement. Major U.S. stock indexes turned positive after the announcement.

“There are those who I read about in one place or another that say, ‘why would you give President Trump a victory?'” Pelosi said Monday night at a Wall Street Journal event for corporate executives. “Well, why wouldn’t we? This is the right thing to do for our trade situation, for our workers.”

Pelosi is right - Trump pushed for this and they got it done because it was great for the American people. GO TRUMP !! Big win for him

"There is no question, of course, that this trade agreement is much better than NAFTA," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said at a press conference announcing her caucus's support of the agreement. Major U.S. stock indexes turned positive after the announcement.

“There are those who I read about in one place or another that say, ‘why would you give President Trump a victory?'” Pelosi said Monday night at a Wall Street Journal event for corporate executives. “Well, why wouldn’t we? This is the right thing to do for our trade situation, for our workers.”

Pelosi is right - Trump pushed for this and they got it done because it was great for the American people. GO TRUMP !! Big win for him
The major sticking points were negotiations between the House and Trump on issues Democrats wanted in there to improve its treatment of American workers, I believe, and which Pelosi has indicated made it into the final version.  Glad all sides got it done.

There wasn't a "hold up" unless you expect politicians from one side to simply rubber stamp the other side's desires and get nothing in return.  They have allegedly gotten it done if it passes the Senate.  The Dems got their protections that Trump ignored and Trump got some isolationist types of desires he wanted...win/win for them.....if it gets through the Senate and Trump doesn't change his mind.  The protections are significant....can't really believe they got those to stick if I'm being honest.  So are the drug rules....can't believe those got in either but she figured out a way.

It's not done. :shrug:

well see if he follows through. Sadly this is a requirement in this admin. 

Good news is,  it'll be bipartisan. So there's that
Trump spearheaded it, Democrats rewrote, added to and removed and fought it for a long time and finally have agreed to do it

Trump won't stop it from going through, the Democrats have finally got on board, it should be done soon enough

Trump spearheaded it, Democrats rewrote, added to and removed and fought it for a long time and finally have agreed to do it

Trump won't stop it from going through, the Democrats have finally got on board, it should be done soon enough
well except Mcconnell is in no rush to vote on it.  Must be pretty important for the R's in the Senate to get things done

Uh I’d wait and see before being sure of that. Pelosi seems to think she was able to get many favorable things put in. If Trump starts to believe that it will be viewed as a win for the Democrats, he might not go along with it. As it stands now, it seems that there are people on both sides that are happy and upset about it, which I think is a great thing.

Uh I’d wait and see before being sure of that. Pelosi seems to think she was able to get many favorable things put in. If Trump starts to believe that it will be viewed as a win for the Democrats, he might not go along with it. As it stands now, it seems that there are people on both sides that are happy and upset about it, which I think is a great thing.
I think Trump will absolutely claim the victory and Democrats will too and really i suppose they both should. If its good for American's and the USA and both parties worked to get it done, fantastic. Trump initiated it, Democrats wanted their spin on it, they're all going to vote to pass it - done (I hope)

The Dems got what they wanted added...why wouldn't they agree to that?  The wording here seems very bizarre...almost like you have something you want to say but won't come out and say it.  It's kinda weird.  You can look at it's history and the revisions on the house website to see what edits were made and by whom.  You seem concerned with "credit" here, so it might be a good idea to look and see who did what in the bill that's actually been passed by the House onto the Senate.  You seem to believe Trump himself has been part of this process the entire time and doing the negotiations himself.

This is from a June article in Market Watch. What are the implications to deal if the House has revised parts of it?

The USMCA ratification must happen this year in the U.S. or wait until after 2020 with an impending election season, which would move implementation into early 2021. As for now, everyone is waiting on the U.S. to pick up speed.

Until all three counties ratify the new agreement, the original NAFTA continues to govern North American trade. If Congress were to amend their ratification legislation, treaty negotiators among all three countries would then need to determine whether Mexico and Canada would be willing to accept the amended legislation and amend any ratification legislation they might have already passed.

Up to this point, Mexico and Canada have been clear they are not going to renegotiate the underlying agreement.

Lots of reports today phase one done deal.  Fingers crossed
Fingers crossed about what, exactly? 

A toothless deal where they buy soybeans and pork? 

For anyone who is really reading the tea leaves, this guy is accomplishing zero here, just jawboning the market higher for talking points. This deal is literally a zero (except a talking point to those that have no real understanding of the situation).

And I'm not writing this as a partisan liberal either, it is written as an American who hoped someone that finally had the guts to go after China did something about it, but he clearly showed us he has zero backbone, and bows down to Wall Street.

Headline an hour ago was "Stocks soar on tentative trade deal agreement".

Now it's "Stocks up modestly after trade deal doubts".

:lmao:

Here’s what I’ve picked up so far:

- Original $250B of tariffs stays on at 25%
- Sept tariffs of $120B will be rolled back from 15% to 7.5% (time unknown) 
- No new tariffs on Dec 15
- They will buy things from us that they need (and have been doing up until 2018)

Press release from White House included:

Landmark & Unprecedented!!! 

Seriously, those words.

- They will buy things from us that they need (and have been doing up until 2018)

Seriously, those words.

Give it 10 minutes, it'll fall through.
Down a 100 because there isn't a real deal. 

Down a 100 because there isn't a real deal. 
The DJIA has been on fire for the last few months, a weak flimsy deal has for the most part already been priced in. 

The deal is technically a deal, it just accomplishes zero... Well zero except a talking point to those that don’t know better. 

Seriously, those words.

We all knew that eventually Trump would get nothing and call it a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread