What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRADE THREAD- President Trump signs Phase One of China agreement, China promises to double its purchases in 2020 (2 Viewers)

The captions running on the bottom of the various news outlets were pretty awesome.  If you are to believe one of the news outlets, China is begging and pleading to come back to the negotiating table :mellow:  

yak651 said:
This is what I don't get about Trump supporters.  Can they not see that the guy is in way over his head and doesn't know what he's doing?  99% of what he says is something he makes up in his head, yet when called out it's all fake news.  Would just like Go Birds, Knowledge Dropper or someone to answer this truthfully without out snark.  Does this not bother you at all the other foreign leaders can't trust anything the POTUS says??
might want to read up on how cults work

The Commish said:
The captions running on the bottom of the various news outlets were pretty awesome.  If you are to believe one of the news outlets, China is begging and pleading to come back to the negotiating table :mellow:  
The odd thing is that both sides have incentive to negotiate a solution.  I'm not sure what China's strategy is in this but it seems like Trump is a bit of a one-trick pony with tariffs being the only card he knows how to play.

The odd thing is that both sides have incentive to negotiate a solution.  I'm not sure what China's strategy is in this but it seems like Trump is a bit of a one-trick pony with tariffs being the only card he knows how to play.
China has plenty of cards left.  They completely control the look/feel of their economy.  Their strategy is simply to avoid any meaningful agreement on IP protections or currency manipulation practices.

Our guy couldn't win playing Go Fish against the Chinese.  

So I guess there is good news after all.  China's behavior isn't their fault.  Apparently, past administrations are the ones responsible for the IP issues and currency manipulation.  So, all they need to do is give Trumpy the super secret password that makes China behave this way at our will so he can fix it.  Problem solved!!!!!  Or is it MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!!!

:oldunsure:  

On Meet the Press yesterday there was was this Club for Growth guy expressing support for Trump. This guy is a life long free trader who hates tariffs so Todd asked him how he could support Trump? He explained that Trump’s tariffs were a temporary means of pressuring China to agree to a better trade agreement- they were the means, the end is free trade. 

With this convoluted argument any free trader can support any tariff. Amazing the lengths some people are willing to go to defend this Presidents 

On Meet the Press yesterday there was was this Club for Growth guy expressing support for Trump. This guy is a life long free trader who hates tariffs so Todd asked him how he could support Trump? He explained that Trump’s tariffs were a temporary means of pressuring China to agree to a better trade agreement- they were the means, the end is free trade. 

With this convoluted argument any free trader can support any tariff. Amazing the lengths some people are willing to go to defend this Presidents 
Sy Sperling?

I certainly don't like doing a boff sidez, but to be fair, this is largely true of most people and their politics.  the lengths that people seem to go for trump do seem to be rather extreme, but the fundamental condition is the same for many across all political (and other) spectrums.

WASHINGTON — Peppered with complaints from farmers fed up with President Trump’s trade war, Sonny Perdue found his patience wearing thin. Mr. Perdue, the agriculture secretary and the guest of honor at the annual Farmfest gathering in southern Minnesota this month, tried to break the ice with a joke.

“What do you call two farmers in a basement?” Mr. Perdue asked near the end of a testy hourlong town-hall-style event. “A whine cellar.”

A cascade of boos ricocheted around the room.
- NYT

https://www.farmforum.net/farm_forum/national-farmers-union-escalating-trade-war-exacerbates-weak-farm-economy/article_cdf22353-259f-59d3-a058-5e7d3dd283f1.html

WASHINGTON, D.C. – In retaliation against the United States’ most recent escalation in an ongoing trade war, China announced on Aug. 23 that it will increase tariffs on $75 billion worth of American goods, including a number of agricultural products. Starting on September 1, the country plans raise tariffs on American soybeans from 25 percent to 30 percent and on pork from 50 percent to 60 percent. On December 1, they will increase tariffs on corn, sorghum and wheat from 25 percent to 35 percent.

National Farmers Union (NFU) President Roger Johnson issued the following statement in response to the news:

“It’s no surprise that China is slapping even more tariffs on American products. Every time Trump escalates his trade war, China calls his bluff – and why would we expect any differently this time around? And it’s no surprise that farmers are again the target. In just the past three years, U.S. soybean exports to China have fallen nearly 80 percent, and once these tariffs kick in, things are likely to get worse.

Things have been difficult for farmers long before this trade war rolled around. Farmers are making half of what they were in 2013, and they’ve taken on record levels of debt just to keep their doors open. Chronic overproduction continues to push commodity prices down, and extreme weather events and higher temperatures caused by climate change have made the job of growing food that much more challenging. But instead of looking to solve existing problems in our agricultural sector, this administration has just created new ones. Between burning bridges with all of our biggest trading partners and undermining our domestic biofuels industry, President Trump is making things worse, not better.”

https://www.farmforum.net/farm_forum/national-farmers-union-escalating-trade-war-exacerbates-weak-farm-economy/article_cdf22353-259f-59d3-a058-5e7d3dd283f1.html

WASHINGTON, D.C. – In retaliation against the United States’ most recent escalation in an ongoing trade war, China announced on Aug. 23 that it will increase tariffs on $75 billion worth of American goods, including a number of agricultural products. Starting on September 1, the country plans raise tariffs on American soybeans from 25 percent to 30 percent and on pork from 50 percent to 60 percent. On December 1, they will increase tariffs on corn, sorghum and wheat from 25 percent to 35 percent.

National Farmers Union (NFU) President Roger Johnson issued the following statement in response to the news:

“It’s no surprise that China is slapping even more tariffs on American products. Every time Trump escalates his trade war, China calls his bluff – and why would we expect any differently this time around? And it’s no surprise that farmers are again the target. In just the past three years, U.S. soybean exports to China have fallen nearly 80 percent, and once these tariffs kick in, things are likely to get worse.

Things have been difficult for farmers long before this trade war rolled around. Farmers are making half of what they were in 2013, and they’ve taken on record levels of debt just to keep their doors open. Chronic overproduction continues to push commodity prices down, and extreme weather events and higher temperatures caused by climate change have made the job of growing food that much more challenging. But instead of looking to solve existing problems in our agricultural sector, this administration has just created new ones. Between burning bridges with all of our biggest trading partners and undermining our domestic biofuels industry, President Trump is making things worse, not better.”
Don't worry, Trump will tweet today that he's taking care of the farmers and give them more subsidies so they keep voting for him.  Only thing is these subsidies will mostly go to the "mega farmers" and the typical middle class Midwestern farmer will take it in the shorts.

Iowa Corn Growers are "fed up" and not taking it anymore from @realDonaldTrump

Corn growers just issued release saying: Iowa growers here to "express anger" at Trump Trump's promises on renewable fuels "were broken" "Agriculture is in one hell of a bad situation right now"

https://twitter.com/douglaswburns/status/1166377793862680577?s=20
Given how close you work with this group of people, is this "fed up" like actually fed up and ready to act or "fed up" like the GOP gets "angry" but never acts?

Given how close you work with this group of people, is this "fed up" like actually fed up and ready to act or "fed up" like the GOP gets "angry" but never acts?
I honestly don't know.  I was surprised to see this and I hope there is a large group of farmers that feel that way.  I haven't heard too much from farmers talking about Trump one way or the other recently.  All I know is that they are not having a good year.

I still see certain farmers I'm friends with on Facebook sharing stupid, pro-Trump meme and other propaganda.

I honestly don't know.  I was surprised to see this and I hope there is a large group of farmers that feel that way.  I haven't heard too much from farmers talking about Trump one way or the other recently.  All I know is that they are not having a good year.

I still see certain farmers I'm friends with on Facebook sharing stupid, pro-Trump meme and other propaganda.
A couple of my farming friends response to my criticism of Trump by saying;

Well what do the Democrats have to offer?

Another said that Trump is the worst thing to ever happen to the Republican Party but said you can’t vote for Democrats and their crazy ideas

-

Last edited by a moderator:
So China can raise tariffs as much as they want but when we try to level the field, the hate is brought on to Trump? Why can China do what they please and you guys are happy with it?
You can love it if you want, doesn’t matter. We lose their markets as customers after spending 50 years building that market for ourselves, and then Brazil, Ukraine, Russia, you name it take our spot. American consumers pay the tax while communists can absorb the cost and their people can’t say blip about it.

So China can raise tariffs as much as they want but when we try to level the field, the hate is brought on to Trump? Why can China do what they please and you guys are happy with it?

:shrug:  
I'll give $5 for every post saying they are happy with what China is doing.  The reason people are pissed with Trump is because his actions are taking money directly out of their pockets via his tariff approach.  Do they not have the right to be upset by that?

Why does the playing field need to be even?

One way to guarantee that the playing field is even would be to completely eliminate all trade between both countries. Do you think that would be good for America?

Iowa Corn Growers are "fed up" and not taking it anymore from @realDonaldTrump

Corn growers just issued release saying: Iowa growers here to "express anger" at Trump Trump's promises on renewable fuels "were broken" "Agriculture is in one hell of a bad situation right now"

https://twitter.com/douglaswburns/status/1166377793862680577?s=20
The vast majority of Iowa farmers voted for Trump in 2016 and I am sure over 50% of them will in 2020. They aren't about to let a farm economy worsened by Trump change their votes. Sorry but to those I say shut your pie holes...you made your bed now you can lie in it. The time for you to make a difference and recognize a con man many of the rest of us was early in 2016 before the Iowa cacuses.

Person A has a red widget 

Person B has a blue widget. 

They trade. 

Both are happy with the trade. 

Now, level the playing field. Make sure to show your work. 

If China raises tariffs, we could approach it one of two ways:

1) Add tariffs of our own, which becomes a nasty cycle of increasing costs.  In the U.S., we feel the pain because of our free market economy.  In the more closed Chinese economy, not as much (or a passive acceptance by the people that they can't really do anything about it).

2) Work with China to reduce the tariffs ...negotiate (art of the deal) and all that.  Along with this, we probably need to balance the trade-off of some higher pricing against our access to the large Chinese market.

It could be a combination - go with #1 to force a process for #2.  But I don't think many folks feel Trump is savvy enough to accomplish this.  The process of playing tough to yield concessions hasn't been working well (see: Korea, North; Iran)

Don't worry, Trump will tweet today that he's taking care of the farmers and give them more subsidies so they keep voting for him.  Only thing is these subsidies will mostly go to the "mega farmers" and the typical middle class Midwestern farmer will take it in the shorts.
Odd tactic as there should be more votes in the small farmholds...

Users who are viewing this thread