What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRADE THREAD- President Trump signs Phase One of China agreement, China promises to double its purchases in 2020 (4 Viewers)

How are they going to prove that unless they have recorded evidence of Musk giving the insider information?  Insider trading happens all the time.  There is no way to differentiate between a great investment and insider trading.
Look up how others have been found guilty of insider trading if you are really interested. None of that has anything to do with the topic of this thread, the Trade War

Stop me if you've heard this before:

The United States and China are "getting really close" to striking a preliminary trade deal, a senior adviser to President Donald Trump said Tuesday.
BEIJING (AP) — China reacted furiously Thursday to President Donald Trump’s signing two bills aimed at supporting human rights in Hong Kong, summoning the U.S. ambassador to protest and warning the move would undermine cooperation with Washington.

I think Trump did the right thing with Hong Kong, even more so knowing it’s potential impact on a trade deal. 
He doesn't want a trade deal until after the impeachment stuff is over anyway, so this moves it into the election year and he'll be able to prance about patting himself on the back for "winning" the trade war

Last edited by a moderator:
Just think of how much money people with inside knowledge of these trade statements are making.  And I think it's safe to say that Trump passes along his inside knowledge for a profit. 

I also wonder if Elon Musk knew that the window on the Tesla truck would break during that demonstration.  He could have made a lot of money with having someone short sell Tesla beforehand.
I think it's more likely he knew they would break and did it for the extra publicity. Nobody cares if their windows are bulletproof.

He doesn't want a trade deal until after the impeachment stuff is over anyway, so this moves it into the election year and he'll be able to prance about patting himself on the back for "winning" the trade war
Meh, silver linings entry here, he did the right thing; the US should support democratic movements without much concern for personal ramifications.  He’ll manage to posture and peacock over the trade wars regardless 

How are they going to prove that unless they have recorded evidence of Musk giving the insider information?  Insider trading happens all the time.  There is no way to differentiate between a great investment and insider trading.
I'm of the mindset that just because it could happen does not necessarily mean that it did. It seems like the broken window was simply an accident, which happens at times. Like Microsoft debuting a new OS(at the time, 20 years ago now), and it blue screened on Bill Gates, who was part of the presentation. Stuff goes wrong with no rhyme or reason.

China wants tariffs rolled back in phase one deal

BEIJING (Reuters) - Beijing’s top priority in any phase one trade deal with the United States is the removal of existing tariffs on Chinese goods, China’s Global Times newspaper reported on Sunday, amid uncertainty on whether the two sides can end a 17-month trade war that has depressed global growth.

“Sources with direct knowledge of the trade talks told the Global Times on Saturday that the U.S. must remove existing tariffs, not planned tariffs, as part of the deal,” according to the report.

Global Times, published by the official People’s Daily newspaper of China’s ruling Communist Party, also cited another unidentified source close to the talks as saying U.S. officials had been resisting such a demand because the tariffs were their only weapon in the trade war and giving up that weapon meant “surrender.”

Officials with the U.S. Trade Representative’s office and the U.S. Treasury Department did not reply to a request for comment.

My favorite parts about all of this is that we can't get a simple Phase One deal done in which we get China to do something they've done forever, which is buy a lot of soybeans. I mean, isn't this the easy part? 

Phase One Deal: Eliminate tariffs, China buys soybeans 

:lmao:

Am I the last standing sane person on Earth? Is Phase One literally just hopping back to 2016? There will obviously be no signed Phase Two, am I the only person who sees this?

Any deal signed will be short in the tooth, meaningless, and strictly to appease his base and Wall Street Overlords. 

Art of the Deal

If phase 1 is removing all existing tariffs, then what is phase 2? 
I believe Phase 2 is a figment of the President's imagination, a nonexistent deal that never actually happened similar to Phase 1. But because he said it's almost a done deal, his staff are working to make something happen within this framework of phases he started repeating over and over again.

I can imagine the discussion going something like this back in October or whenever he first brought it up:

Xi: Well, Mr. President, removal of tariffs would be a requirement for us to proceed at all, a first phase, so to speak.

Trump: "something about his approval rating among Republicans."

Trump, later to reporters: "We're pretty much done with Phase One of a massive, huge trade deal. Any day now.

(US trade delegation, watching in horror, scrambles to retrofit something into this new construct for which they received no notification.)

My favorite parts about all of this is that we can't get a simple Phase One deal done in which we get China to do something they've done forever, which is buy a lot of soybeans. I mean, isn't this the easy part? 

Phase One Deal: Eliminate tariffs, China buys soybeans 

:lmao:

Am I the last standing sane person on Earth? Is Phase One literally just hopping back to 2016? There will obviously be no signed Phase Two, am I the only person who sees this?

Any deal signed will be short in the tooth, meaningless, and strictly to appease his base and Wall Street Overlords. 

Art of the Deal
:oldunsure:   ummmmm....no?  You can go back through the beginnings of this thread and it was the general prediction by everyone but the staunch trump supporters as to how this is likely going to end.  

He's trying to cripple the economy now, there's no other rational explanation for this.
There is one rational explanation: President Trump doesn't understand international trade.

President Trump continues to state that China is paying the tariffs he levied. That is untrue and positive proof that President Trump doesn't understand international trade.

This is not supposed to be a presidential power. This should be impeachable on it's own. The balance of power between the branches need to be restored. 
Yep, I agree with this take:

Tracy Alloway

@tracyalloway

Trump's financial legacy isn't going to be fiscal stimulus or a ballooning deficit, it's going to be his use of tariffs as a flexible policy tool. They allow him to basically bypass the Fed (and Congress) to impact financial conditions (and the current account via tax receipts!)

I think, generally, Trump seems to be using trade threats to steer the market.  When the market is going well, he has more "room" for these other bad policies.  He is jawboning the Fed/expanding the deficit to afford these extortionesque tariff games. 

Heather Long

@byHeatherLong

BREAKING: Trump Admin proposes tariffs "up to 100%" on certain French goods (about $2.4 bn worth) in retaliation for France's digital services tax Items include: Sparkling wine Swiss, Grueyer, Pecorino and other cheeses Handbags Various makeup products
I thought Pecorino was Italian....

The tariffs on Brazil are especially ironic since Bolsonaro campaigned on being buddies with Trump. Brazil and Argentine are already facing huge unemployment issues and this move will help destabilize their countries further. 

This is not supposed to be a presidential power. This should be impeachable on it's own. The balance of power between the branches need to be restored. 
It's not supposed to be, but under the guise of "national security" he gets away with it because Congress signed away that authority post 9/11.  I seem to remember a small handful of people around here getting absolutely destroyed by the rest of the board for saying this wasn't a good idea.  It was wrapped into the "we really shouldn't be going into Iraq" discussion.

Michael C. Bender @MichaelCBender

Dow drops 300 points this morning after President Trump says a trade deal with China may have to wait until after the U.S. elections.

Trump giveth, and Trump taketh away
Yet if Trump were to say tomorrow “things look good and I expect a deal within a few weeks” the market would soar and people would pretend that what he said this morning never happened. 

I’ve never quite understood how this works and I still don’t. These day traders are supposed to be extremely bright people aren’t they? Why do they behave like marionettes all the time? 

Yet if Trump were to say tomorrow “things look good and I expect a deal within a few weeks” the market would soar and people would pretend that what he said this morning never happened. 

I’ve never quite understood how this works and I still don’t. These day traders are supposed to be extremely bright people aren’t they? Why do they behave like marionettes all the time? 
Between 40 and 60% of all "day trades" are made by algorithms on computer hardware sitting in a building next to the trade floor.  

It's not supposed to be, but under the guise of "national security" he gets away with it because Congress signed away that authority post 9/11.  I seem to remember a small handful of people around here getting absolutely destroyed by the rest of the board for saying this wasn't a good idea.  It was wrapped into the "we really shouldn't be going into Iraq" discussion.
When it was tariffs on steel, you could make the national security argument. It was BS, but you could make it. Now we are talking about tariffs on cheese. Nobody is even trying to make that argument. 

When it was tariffs on steel, you could make the national security argument. It was BS, but you could make it. Now we are talking about tariffs on cheese. Nobody is even trying to make that argument. 
I don't know about a lover in your life but in mine it's very much an issue of security. 

Isn't their largest competitor Canada?
Don't try to confuse the issue with facts.

The tariffs are in response to a 3% French tax on digital services for companies making more that EUR 25m revenues in France and EUR 750m worldwide. Thus it is sure to hit Amazon, Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft etc. Not all EU countries are in favor of such a tax and it has not been agreed in the EU thus it is left to individual countries to either follow suit or not, some want to (ironically, for instance the UK IIRC). I'm not sure of the mechanism for the tax (is it revenue made from French consumers, by French subsidiaries or??) but it has been framed so it won't target specifically US companies (e.g. Alibaba, Wish.com etc would likely also be hit) so the French might be/should be able to make a case for the tax in WTO if any complaint is brought there.

Art of the Deal Apocrypha Chapter II  - Christmas is Canceled

One time I was coming from lunch at the Trump Grill with my very good friend Felix Sater.  We were lucky to see another friend, Jeff Epstein-  many people agree with me that this is a great guy to party with if you ever have the chance- on our way out of the restaurant.  I was in such a great mood. Deals were about to be made!

As I exited the Tower, low and behold there stood Tiffany ringing bells for The Red Cross.  My mood immediately changed. I stormed over to her and demanded “What the hell are you doing?”

“I’m raising money to help the needy, Daddy,” she replied.

“Trumps don’t help the needy, we exploit the needy!” I retorted back.

I grabbed the red pot of money and Tiffany by the ear, forcing her into the building and into the elevator.

“But Daddy, this is for the Red Cross”  Tiffany cried.

“This is MY MONEY NOW, if the needy want money they can get their asses on the street on ring a ### ####ed Bell too.”

Tiffany just bowed her head and cried.  I began to feel a little better, but make no mistake I needed to use this as a teaching moment.

When we got to the penthouse (Penthouse is such a great name by the way), I had the nurse maid gather the entire family.  Marla, Ivanka, Don Jr, Eric and of course Tiffany.

“Christmas is Canceled, and it's all Tiffany's fault” I declared.  “Marla, forget that trip to Aspen. I will be going to Little St James by myself.  Ivanka, NO pearl necklace for you. Jr, no Abercrombie and Fitch Safari Jacket will be coming your way.  And Eric, you can forget that Easy Bake Oven. Tiffany, Trumps don’t do charity like everyone else, so I’m going to teach you all about charity, and how they work by starting the Donald J. Trump Foundation”.

The room went quiet with guttered sobs coming from the children.

Marla, just hung her head low.

Suddenly, Ivanka, walked right over to her and pulled a string of pearls from her neck.  As they scattered across the floor, she looked at Marla defiantly and screamed, “If I can’t have pearls neither can you.”  I can admit, I admired that spunk.

Jr was triggered, and fell to the floor crying “how will I ever kill the last White Rhino, if I don’t have a safari vest?”

Eric, just turned around in small circles.

Tiffany, always the quiet one (which I despised), just stared right at me.

I crossed my arms and made one last declaration.  “I AM CHRISTMAS! AND CHRISTMAS IS FOR TAKING NOT GIVING.”

And I think that was an important lesson for us all.

It's an interesting gamble, if perhaps a bit ham fisted in execution. Do they need us more than we need them?

i was half kidding, but yes i think you are correct.

Don't try to confuse the issue with facts.

The tariffs are in response to a 3% French tax on digital services for companies making more that EUR 25m revenues in France and EUR 750m worldwide. Thus it is sure to hit Amazon, Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft etc. Not all EU countries are in favor of such a tax and it has not been agreed in the EU thus it is left to individual countries to either follow suit or not, some want to (ironically, for instance the UK IIRC). I'm not sure of the mechanism for the tax (is it revenue made from French consumers, by French subsidiaries or??) but it has been framed so it won't target specifically US companies (e.g. Alibaba, Wish.com etc would likely also be hit) so the French might be/should be able to make a case for the tax in WTO if any complaint is brought there.
Slap it high :hifive:

Users who are viewing this thread