What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kids Party and Alcohol (1 Viewer)

seahawk 17

Footballguy
We are having a birthday party for our son. We live in a small town and the parties are all the same...bowling or swimming. I want to do something different and I am renting a bouncy house. We are getting pizza also. My wife said we need to supply the other parents with alcohol. With today's climate and especially what has gone on here (my safe place) I am scared to offer that, offend someone, lawsuit, child welfare ...thoughts please.

We are having a birthday party for our son. We live in a small town and the parties are all the same...bowling or swimming. I want to do something different and I am renting a bouncy house. We are getting pizza also. My wife said we need to supply the other parents with alcohol. With today's climate and especially what has gone on here (my safe place) I am scared to offer that, offend someone, lawsuit, child welfare ...thoughts please.
You sound like a really fun dude 

Family gathering, have a variety of beverages for consenting adults. Why could anyone ever sue for that?

The title of this thread made me think this was advice on whether or not parents should provide alcohol for like a high school party at their own house. To which the answer should be Helllll nah in this day and age.

Stop overthinking this.

Your wife gets the party—decorations, gifts, goodie bag, and invites. 

You get the food and drink. 

But let her have the cake—important!!! My wife has dropped $75.00 on birthday cake for our kids. It is the most important part of the birthday party—serious business there.

I don't get it? Are you Mormon? NTTAWWT
"I don't get it" is a statement. No need for a question mark. (yea, I've been drinking)

I never saw alcohol at a children's party until I married a Hispanic woman. Now I kind of expect it. But I wouldn't put it past any ##### in this litigious day and age to sue if something happened as a result of alcohol served at one.

"I don't get it" is a statement. No need for a question mark. (yea, I've been drinking)

I never saw alcohol at a children's party until I married a Hispanic woman. Now I kind of expect it. But I wouldn't put it past any ##### in this litigious day and age to sue if something happened as a result of alcohol served at one.
Who's getting wasted off some Mike's hard lemonade and Miller Lite in one cooler?

I ain't spending a ton of money when I'm already feeding them. 
There's always a local brewery with some good hops out there to be had on the cheap. Serving Miller Lite deserves every law suit they file!

p.s. Unless of course your goal is to be able to say you served alcohol without anyone actually drinking it. Then that is a shark move!

How old is the kid? 

If he is less than 7 years old, skip the booze. This party is for the kids. You have the party for 2 hours at 1 in the afternoon (after lunch so all you serve is cake) and do your drinking after.

If the kid is older than 7, skip the stupid bounce house and let the kids go wild with squirt guns, sports, and other manly sheeeeeeit. That’s the party the adults sit around and pop a couple. You have this party at 4 and order the pizza. Everyone leaves by 8 and you put the kids to bed, have another beer, and bang the wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, you want to invite adults to sit through a kid's birthday party and NOT provide them booze?

If so, don't invite the parents. Just baby sit their kids for the afternoon. 
seriously. i would piss in said pool if invited to a kid b-day party for hours and no booze

Wtf bro

Last three kid parties I have taken my children to, not a beer in sight. Just wondering if this is the norm. 

We’ve had a ton of kids parties at my house. We usually spend more on booze than on food. 

ETA: we usually spend more on booze than everything else

Last edited by a moderator:
Last three kid parties I have taken my children to, not a beer in sight. Just wondering if this is the norm. 
It seems more common than people on this board are implying but context matters. 

If we are having a pool party for kids under 7 we won't serve alcohol. Partly because the vast majority of us will be in the pool with the kids, partly because it's a public pool. When we had a pool in our backyard I'd have alcohol, and people knew it was available, but it was in the kitchen away from the kids. We'd willingly serve but we (wife really but I didn't care) just didn't want it prominent displayed next to the Thomas the shank engine cake. These were usually smaller groups and almost all good friends. 

For a party with a bouncy house? Serve the booze. You're going to have a bunch of adults standing around watching their kids. Really boring without booze. 

If you really don't want to serve alcohol, rent out a public place that doesn't allow it but is fun enough. 

Are you muslim?  or a recovering actual alcoholic?  Because there are a very limited number of legitimate reasons for doing the thing you're contemplating. 

What time of day is the party taking place? How long will the party last? How well do you know each kid's parents?

Your wife sounds awesome. You on the other hand....

If this is what is being served I'd vote for no alcohol
I ain't serving good stuff to random strangers that happen to be parents of my kids' friends. 

As for the OP, I've actually experienced all kinds. Some parties have some cheap beer (Coors lite, Miller lite, bud light, etc). Some don't have any alcohol. Never would litigation cross my mind for having alcohol available though. When I go to these types of places I'm not looking to drink anyway. I'm more concerned if there's food for parents (even if it's just chips or pretzels). Standing a person's house for 2+ hours and the only thing there is cake and warm soda is just awkward.

I ain't serving good stuff to random strangers that happen to be parents of my kids' friends. 

As for the OP, I've actually experienced all kinds. Some parties have some cheap beer (Coors lite, Miller lite, bud light, etc). Some don't have any alcohol. Never would litigation cross my mind for having alcohol available though. When I go to these types of places I'm not looking to drink anyway. I'm more concerned if there's food for parents (even if it's just chips or pretzels). Standing a person's house for 2+ hours and the only thing there is cake and warm soda is just awkward.
I get your point but if I am serving alcohol I would at least have a lite beer, wine and a decent beer, but that is just me.

The OP doesn't say how old his kid is but I really don't get inviting adults to a childrens party anyway.   My nephew and his soon-to-be-ex wife have had these huge blowout parties for their kid's birthdays, with food and booze, for upwards of 50-60 people, since they were 1 year old.

My wife and I went to the first couple but have declined for the past few years.  It was absolutely brutal watching his daughters open up 25+ gifts one at a time.

I get your point but if I am serving alcohol I would at least have a lite beer, wine and a decent beer, but that is just me.

The OP doesn't say how old his kid is but I really don't get inviting adults to a childrens party anyway.   My nephew and his soon-to-be-ex wife have had these huge blowout parties for their kid's birthdays, with food and booze, for upwards of 50-60 people, since they were 1 year old.

My wife and I went to the first couple but have declined for the past few years.  It was absolutely brutal watching his daughters open up 25+ gifts one at a time.
You dont open the gifts until after the party....Protip (or cheap/lazy)  we started putting thank you cards in the goodie bags.....

Users who are viewing this thread