What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (10 Viewers)

bolldpt said:
There's really a bunch of defenses on my wire that I could use. I have Hou and Balt but thinking of picking up another def to play matchups. Det, Buf, Dal, and Jax. Jax and Dal have tasty matchups. Keep thinking I'm overthinking the Def play. Hate rostering 3 but it's appealing to cover the weeks that Hou and Balt Aren't good matchups.
You're not. I've carried multiple defenses for most of the year and it's worked out perfectly. 

bolldpt said:
There's really a bunch of defenses on my wire that I could use. I have Hou and Balt but thinking of picking up another def to play matchups. Det, Buf, Dal, and Jax. Jax and Dal have tasty matchups. Keep thinking I'm overthinking the Def play. Hate rostering 3 but it's appealing to cover the weeks that Hou and Balt Aren't good matchups.
You have the 2nd and 3rd best FF DT/DSTs of 2018. Chillax.

Hard to imagine a defense that is trending better than the Texans. 9 straight wins, they get good pressure every single week. HOU did pretty well versus Luck Week 4 already, despite giving up 464 yards passing to Luck and 4 passing TDs. 4 sacks, 2 FR, TD. Conversely, the Colts are coming off a game in which they didn't score. They've got trash bag RBs, nobody in the Receiving corps who is a threat besides Hilton, and I swear Ebron has been left uncovered on like 8 or 9 of his 11 TDs. Maybe it's just some next level Jedi mind trick when it comes to scheming for their TE?

:shrug:

FTR I do like Buffalo's matchup this week. I have them paired with the Texans and I'm mulling it over. Then again, I played the BUF DST last week and it cost me 7.25 points in our system (BUF 13.00 HOU 20.25) because I over thought it and played the matchups. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
jtp1982 said:
NYG wasn’t a great matchup with a backup QB starting his first away game.  They are a bad football team but they haven’t been a good matchup for DST’s this year.

Im starting the Lions this week. I am not starting them week 15.  They could easily lose you a game that week with how the Bills are playing.

Out of those three Id play Chicago. Keep in mind it took a Defensive TD to save the day fantasy wise for us week 1 at GB though.

With the week 15 GB game at home I like Chicago as at least a top 12 unit with upside that week.  Dallas probably has a similar floor at Indy but I don’t see the upside there with it being played in Indy.
Yeah, I could see DET really laying an egg in Buffalo. Outside...snow...J. Allen running around like crazy.

I think Dallas would be safe, but also don't love the game being in Indy.

Chicago D at home against that Packer team with a chance to beat them when they are down...maybe that is a good spot. I've gotta think that whole town will be fired up to bury Green Bay.

Got Sea still for week 15. The TD helped this week but they still had a decent score even without it. 

Jags play Wash at home Week 15 if someone gave up on them. 

Titans week 16 home against Wash if you make it that far.

Got Sea still for week 15. The TD helped this week but they still had a decent score even without it. 

We lose points for DST allowing yards and scores and Seattle was about to drop from 6 to 4 and lose me my week then Bobby Wagner took care of it.

Wasnt a must win but that helped me setup a pretty choice playoff bracket for the next two weeks.

You have the 2nd and 3rd best FF DT/DSTs of 2018. Chillax.

Hard to imagine a defense that is trending better than the Texans. 9 straight wins, they get good pressure every single week. HOU did pretty well versus Luck Week 4 already, despite giving up 464 yards passing to Luck and 4 passing TDs. 4 sacks, 2 FR, TD. Conversely, the Colts are coming off a game in which they didn't score. They've got trash bag RBs, nobody in the Receiving corps who is a threat besides Hilton, and I swear Ebron has been left uncovered on like 8 or 9 of his 11 TDs. Maybe it's just some next level Jedi mind trick when it comes to scheming for their TE?

:shrug:

FTR I do like Buffalo's matchup this week. I have them paired with the Texans and I'm mulling it over. Then again, I played the BUF DST last week and it cost me 7.25 points in our system (BUF 13.00 HOU 20.25) because I over thought it and played the matchups. :P
You just didnt account for the defensive touchdown which is the right move IMO.  Too unpredictable.

I don’t see them getting a DTD this week though.  They did the first time they played Indy and it saved them from a bad week then.

Houston DST is basically a solid matchup play that just happens to have good matchups most of the season, I’m not sure this week is one though.

We lose points for DST allowing yards and scores and Seattle was about to drop from 6 to 4 and lose me my week then Bobby Wagner took care of it.

Wasnt a must win but that helped me setup a pretty choice playoff bracket for the next two weeks.
We do too but we start from a 24 (12 for shutout and 12 for under 100 yards) and goes down drastically from there. Ended up with 17 from Seattle this week. 

Traded for the Jags D 6 weeks ago (huge mistake), and picked up the Titans 2 weeks ago. Have a 1st round bye in my league's playoffs. Savoring the opportunity to start defenses against Mark Sanchez in week 15 (and hopefully week 16 as well). 

I've got Titans and Jax...have to choose one of them to play the other this week, then it's Jax vs. Washington in week 15 and Titans vs. Washington in week 16.  Mark Sanchez twice!

i picked up Detroit defense a few weeks ago for this week 14 match up against Arizona. Ari is 32nd in defense, but i am a bit worried after last weekend. anybody think Detroit can be top 5-7 defense this week still?

i picked up Detroit defense a few weeks ago for this week 14 match up against Arizona. Ari is 32nd in defense, but i am a bit worried after last weekend. anybody think Detroit can be top 5-7 defense this week still?
DET did a pretty damn good job against the LAR. At home. Much better against the pass vs. the run.

They played well versus the Rams

Who is sticking with the Chicago D week 15 vs GB?? Total letdown @NYG this past week and we'll get a middling A. Rodgers although maybe he and that offense will be unshackled a bit without McCarthy.
Unless GB is totally transformed this week without McCarthy, I'll start Chicago with some degree of confidence. They've been the D1 all year, they'll be at home, and GB hasn't been scary. Particularly if they're coming off a second straight loss, I think they take GB to the woodshed.

I am sitting them this week, however, for Tenn in one league, NO. in another.

have a claim for the bills.  picked up the chiefs for last week.  didn't turn out as expected.

any thoughts for the next 2 weeks?
Week 14, I like:

LAC v CIN

DEN v SF

Those two options may be gone, would look at NYG @ WAS.

There are other match ups like: either side of the JAX/TEN game in a tilt I imagine could be low-scoring; either side of the BUF/NYJ game; or even DAL at home against a really sputtering Eagles team, but all seem more risky than the Giants to me. JAX would be the one I would lean to here as they get a juicy match up the next week as well.

Week 15, (assuming BAL is not available for their game against the Raiders) I like:

DEN @ OAK

SEA @ SF 

JAX vs WAS

CLE v CIN

Unless GB is totally transformed this week without McCarthy, I'll start Chicago with some degree of confidence. They've been the D1 all year, they'll be at home, and GB hasn't been scary. Particularly if they're coming off a second straight loss, I think they take GB to the woodshed.

I am sitting them this week, however, for Tenn in one league, NO. in another.
Leaning CHI D myself. 

Attempted to pick up options in waivers last night without success. Went after DET (@BUF) and missed out...and to be honest, somewhat glad. Would be a difficult decision and I could see myself making the wrong one (i.e. go with DET, then watch J. Allen run for 150 in a blizzard or something similar). Did grab the Dallas D, but don't love that matchup @INDY. However, if they continue to show dominance once again vs PHI this week I may be tempted. Still hoping somebody makes a silly mistake and isn't looking ahead and drops a good D for week 15.

Ended up getting LAC. Hopefully they can actually get to the QB. Their D is loaded with talent and generally plays down to competition.

This may be entirely a psychological defense mechanism to make myself feel better after stupidly passing on Tennessee, but I actually think New Orleans could be a solid play this week. They looked terrible earlier in the year, but over the past few games have really stepped it up. In five of their last six games (excluding LAR), they have averaged nearly 5 sacks and 2.5 TOs per game. That's 10 PPG right there, without even accounting for points-against or defensive TDs.

The two things that give me pause about this week: They're on the road, and Winston seems to have reined himself in, having gone two straight games without a single turnover. Still, given the alternatives available in my league (Det, Dallas, NYJ, Arizona) I feel reasonably confident.

This may be entirely a psychological defense mechanism to make myself feel better after stupidly passing on Tennessee, but I actually think New Orleans could be a solid play this week. They looked terrible earlier in the year, but over the past few games have really stepped it up. In five of their last six games (excluding LAR), they have averaged nearly 5 sacks and 2.5 TOs per game. That's 10 PPG right there, without even accounting for points-against or defensive TDs.

The two things that give me pause about this week: They're on the road, and Winston seems to have reined himself in, having gone two straight games without a single turnover. Still, given the alternatives available in my league (Det, Dallas, NYJ, Arizona) I feel reasonably confident.
Why not grab them?

Why not grab them?
Is Dallas such a great D? Real-life, maybe. But fantasy-wise, they've been pretty mediocre -- only two double-digit performances all year (NYG Week 2/Jax Week 6). In their first game with Philly a few weeks ago, they scored 5.

Not saying they're terrible, but I think I prefer NO's upside.

Is Dallas such a great D? Real-life, maybe. But fantasy-wise, they've been pretty mediocre -- only two double-digit performances all year (NYG Week 2/Jax Week 6). In their first game with Philly a few weeks ago, they scored 5.

Not saying they're terrible, but I think I prefer NO's upside.
I have weird DST settings.  Dallas is 12th (103.1)

Bears, Rams, Steelers, Ravens, Saints, Texans, Broncos, Vikings, Chiefs, Bills, Jets, Cowboys.

I have weird DST settings.  Dallas is 12th (103.1)

Bears, Rams, Steelers, Ravens, Saints, Texans, Broncos, Vikings, Chiefs, Bills, Jets, Cowboys.
Huh, in mine they're 22. That league has some quirks with DST scoring; in the one that's more straightforward, they're 19.

My guess: Your league rewards teams that don't allow a lot of points. They're No. 2 in that category, which my league doesn't really emphasize (10 points for a shutout, all the way down to -3)

Huh, in mine they're 22. That league has some quirks with DST scoring; in the one that's more straightforward, they're 19.

My guess: Your league rewards teams that don't allow a lot of points. They're No. 2 in that category, which my league doesn't really emphasize (10 points for a shutout, all the way down to -3)
Points allowed doesn't matter unless it's a shutout (10) - I have a hell of a time trying to figure out who to start.

Sacks, INT, FR - all 1 point each,  0.1 point per FR/INT return yard.  6 for TD and then 5 points if you hold a team to under 100 rushing (sometimes happens) and 5 more if you hold a team under 150 passing (rarely happens)

So this week in these settings I'm looking at Chargers (but Mixon can run well with Gio) but Driskell might be bad.

I have Houston on my bench and they probably hold the Colts under 100 rushing, but Luck doesn't take sacks (14 all year)

Chicago D laid an egg last week. Can they really be trusted even at home against the Rams? I have the Jags D as well and thinking about using them tomorrow night v Tenn but not sure what to do. I do really like the wk 15 Jags match up v butt fumble but gotta make it out of wk 14 first. Been riding the Bears all year but think I'm going Jags this week. 

conlilnew said:
Chicago D laid an egg last week. Can they really be trusted even at home against the Rams? I have the Jags D as well and thinking about using them tomorrow night v Tenn but not sure what to do. I do really like the wk 15 Jags match up v butt fumble but gotta make it out of wk 14 first. Been riding the Bears all year but think I'm going Jags this week. 
They had one bad game while they're offense did nothing. It happens. They can be trusted. 

Missed out on Dallas and Giants in waivers. Have to stick with KC, Buffalo, and Washington the rest of the way. 

conlilnew said:
Exactly my thoughts. It's a short week vs. a well known divisional on national TV coming off a dominant performance. The Jag's floor should be 5-7 IMO. Lowest over/under of the week helps. On paper it makes total sense. Of course I'm going to feel ill benching Chicago's D but.....

ETA: Plus you can use JAX wk 15 home vs. Sanchez Wash and Chicago week 16 vs SF.

Rams have been my #1 DST. Had to let go of Chargers because I needed to grab another RB to replace Hunt and Breida. I went and grabbed the Titans and have them on my lineup, but I think the Rams will do well vs the Bears even with Trubinsky back.

Curious about the Bears myself.  I have them and week 14 is our first round of playoffs so it matters now.  I also grabbed the lions last week specifically to play against the Cardinals this week while I sit the Bears for one week before riding them to the house.  I could also take Cards, Jets, Browns, Seahawks or Patriots for week 14.  Right now it's the Lions in the chamber but looking for opinions.

What do people think of the Washington Redskins defense now that Mark Sanchez is their starting QB going forward (along with I think a beat up offensive line?).

I had picked them up off waivers several weeks ago with the intention of starting them week 15 when they play at Jacksonville, but I'm not sure I can do that with any confidence now.

It seems like the Jags could have quite a few more possessions on offense with Sanchez at QB and Sanchez is probably more likely to turnover the ball leading to the potential for shorter fields for the Jags.

Time for my annual reminder of the most frequently overlooked piece of advice when deciding on playoff DST streamers:

Don't focus so much on the match-up that you overlook what's actually happening on the football field.

This week provides a textbook example. I see a lot of people touting Atlanta because of their great match-up vs. Arizona. And it's entirely possible they'll be right; Arizona's offense is avert-your-eyes awful. But on the field, Atlanta has been absolutely imploding the past few weeks. I would have major reservations about betting my playoff chances on them being able to turn it around.

At the other end of the spectrum, by the numbers Carolina has been a pretty tough match-up for Ds all year. But like Atlanta, their season is falling apart, plus Cam is playing through a shoulder injury. What's more, while New Orleans has been a little shaky the past couple weeks, they are still one of the best teams in the league (also, the shakiness has come on the offensive side; the defense has been pretty consistently getting sacks and TOs). I could absolutely see New Orleans blowing the Panthers out of the building and then spending the entire second half teeing off on Newton.

Maybe you disagree with one or both of the above analyses. That's fine; we're all mostly just guessing here. But the quality of the actual teams, and their likelihood of winning, should absolutely be a factor in your decision making.

Also, one trend I always look for late in the season is which team is on an absolute roll; regardless of the quality of the D, if they're racking up wins the D can frequently come along for the ride (textbook example is Atlanta during their 2016 Super Bowl run). Still not entirely sure who this year's team is like that; maybe New Orleans or Dallas (though they have been a much better real-life D than fantasy one so far). Or maybe the better strategy is to identify the teams that have quit, and target their opponents as long as those teams are still in the hunt.

Time for my annual reminder of the most frequently overlooked piece of advice when deciding on playoff DST streamers:

Don't focus so much on the match-up that you overlook what's actually happening on the football field.

This week provides a textbook example. I see a lot of people touting Atlanta because of their great match-up vs. Arizona. And it's entirely possible they'll be right; Arizona's offense is avert-your-eyes awful. But on the field, Atlanta has been absolutely imploding the past few weeks. I would have major reservations about betting my playoff chances on them being able to turn it around.

At the other end of the spectrum, by the numbers Carolina has been a pretty tough match-up for Ds all year. But like Atlanta, their season is falling apart, plus Cam is playing through a shoulder injury. What's more, while New Orleans has been a little shaky the past couple weeks, they are still one of the best teams in the league (also, the shakiness has come on the offensive side; the defense has been pretty consistently getting sacks and TOs). I could absolutely see New Orleans blowing the Panthers out of the building and then spending the entire second half teeing off on Newton.

Maybe you disagree with one or both of the above analyses. That's fine; we're all mostly just guessing here. But the quality of the actual teams, and their likelihood of winning, should absolutely be a factor in your decision making.

Also, one trend I always look for late in the season is which team is on an absolute roll; regardless of the quality of the D, if they're racking up wins the D can frequently come along for the ride (textbook example is Atlanta during their 2016 Super Bowl run). Still not entirely sure who this year's team is like that; maybe New Orleans or Dallas (though they have been a much better real-life D than fantasy one so far). Or maybe the better strategy is to identify the teams that have quit, and target their opponents as long as those teams are still in the hunt.
Well you make valid points now I’m questioning my decision to sit Den for Atl

I am sticking with Denver at home. 

Just can’t stream ATL regardless of matchup since they are so terrible. 

Miller/Chubb can make a few plays and make it worthwhile without a dominating performance. 

Well you make valid points now I’m questioning my decision to sit Den for Atl
I gotta admit, I don't really get the love for Denver this week. I guess they're fine; they're an OK defense who's been playing well the past few weeks (although SF mostly had their way with them). I also wonder how much of the sentiment for them comes from people still assuming Cleveland is a walkover match-up. They're pretty middle of the pack, and have been playing well lately; they gave up double digit DST scores in four of their first six games, but have done it only once since.

(OK, now I've crapped all over both of your options. Always happy to help!)  :P

I gotta admit, I don't really get the love for Denver this week. I guess they're fine; they're an OK defense who's been playing well the past few weeks (although SF mostly had their way with them). I also wonder how much of the sentiment for them comes from people still assuming Cleveland is a walkover match-up. They're pretty middle of the pack, and have been playing well lately; they gave up double digit DST scores in four of their first six games, but have done it only once since.

(OK, now I've crapped all over both of your options. Always happy to help!)  :P
Maybe cause they are infact both crap options.  But I’m going to stick with Den.  They are still fighting for playoffs.  It’s at home and a tough environment for road teams.  Atl has mailed it in.  They are in evaluation mode and most likely trying to lose for a better draft position.

Maybe cause they are infact both crap options.  But I’m going to stick with Den.  They are still fighting for playoffs.  It’s at home and a tough environment for road teams.  Atl has mailed it in.  They are in evaluation mode and most likely trying to lose for a better draft position.
I agree with that logic. Like I was saying, what's really important is to step back and question some of the assumptions you may be taking for granted. Like "Arizona is a great match-up so you should start Atlanta." OK, but what about the quality/motivation of Atlanta's D? Or "Always start DSTs playing Cleveland." OK, but is that still true?

If you're conscious of all those factors and decide that, on balance, you prefer one of those options, that's fine. I just know that my worst fantasy decisions have been a result of assuming things without really questioning whether they were true. It's like that quote at the beginning of The Big Short (misattributed to Mark Twain): "It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."

Not sure if I should start the Colts (vs. Cowboys) or the Saints (@ Panthers) this week.

Colts - Middle of the road defense both in fantasy and in real life playing middle of the road offense at home. Cowboys have given up the most sacks on the season so far of any team and sacks are worth 2 points a piece in this league. Fantasy defenses do a little above average against the Cowboys then other teams both over the course of the entire season and the last few weeks. This is a must win game for the Colts if that counts for anything. The Colts secondary is their weakest part of their defense so if they don't get pressure on Dak Prescott it could be a bad day for the Colts defense given the way Amari Cooper has been playing lately.

Saints - Their defense has been very solid the last 5 weeks and and 6 out of the last 7 weeks from a fantasy perspective. Opponents over the last 5 weeks haven't scored very many points though I haven't seen any of their games. Over the course of entire season, the Panthers have been a very tough matchup for fantasy defenses. However, over the last 5 weeks, fantasy defenses are about middle of the pack when going against the Panthers.

The Redskins (@ Jaguars) and the Lions (@ Bills) are available on the wire. However, I don't think there is anyway I can trust the Washington defense when they just gave up 40 points to the Giants and have a QB in Mark Sanchez that could put the defense in terrible positions field position wise. I actually had them last week and dropped them for the Saints once Colt McCoy got hurt because of the Mark Sanchez being the QB.

The Lions, meanwhile, are coming off a strong outing against the Cardinals but the Bills have been a bit harder of a matchup lately for fantasy defenses and I just don't trust them as much as the Colts at home or the Saints on the road.

The Jags (vs. Was), Houston (@NYJ), Ravens (vs. TB), Vikings (vs. Mia) , Seattle (@SF), Chicago (vs. GB), Rams (vs. Phi), Denver (vs. Cle), Tennessee (@ NYG), and Buffalo (vs. Det) are all taken. I'd probably play the Jags, Texans, Seahawks, Bears, and Broncos ahead of what I have though the Browns (playing Denver) actually are really only about an average matchup for a fantasy defense. I might also roll the Vikings or Rams ahead of what I have. I wouldn't play the Ravens. They've been a very inconsistent fantasy defense this season having scored negative points multiple times this season. I also wouldn't start the Titans (good real life defense but haven't been that good fantasy wise) or Bills (don't want to start a defense whose offense I don't trust).

It's a dynasty league so a lot of teams will burn two slots on defenses. I've actually burned three on them. I also have the Patriots who I would play vs. the Bills in week 16 if I'm lucky enough to make it that far. As mentioned above, I had the Redskins until last week who was my week 15 plan but sometimes you have to change plans for things like QBs getting hurt.

Atlanta has sucked, but being that they know that they can get right vs Arizona who is horrendous, in front of that loud dome, should be just what the Dr ordered. I don't buy the whole "lose on purpose to get a draft pick" stuff. These are professionals, and they are pissed they have been bad and want to get right. 

Users who are viewing this thread