Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

2020 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

10 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

:hey:

Debating them or the Jets and leaning Patriots, which seems weird given DAL's offensive weapons and being a tough match up for any D - given up the least amount of fantasy points to Ds this year per Yahoo's reckoning.

Jets aren't world-beaters but are on the upswing, have the run D to limit the Raiders' biggest offensive threat, and while I love 'em and love what I'm seeing from them this year, this seems exactly like just the kind of game the Raiders would drop on the road.  

We have similar thinking.   I dropped the Raider D.  I don't trust them going to the east coast and playing a decent QB.   That Raider secondary is simply not good.   

I gotta win Week 13 real bad, so I'm looking to pick up the right DST now for next week. Figure maybe someone out there might be in the same spot and wants to think about a preemptive pick up. 

Carolina and GB are free agents in a lot of leagues right now.  Carolina is going against Washington, with Wash giving up the 6th most points to DST on the year. But they've been looking especially bad recently. 

Then there's the Packers going against the Giants. Giants have given up the 2nd most points to DST on the year, but I think they're better than the Skins at this point? 

Overall I think the GB DST is better than Car, but a matchup against Haskins is tough to pass up on. 

7 minutes ago, kawaihae said:

I gotta win Week 13 real bad, so I'm looking to pick up the right DST now for next week. Figure maybe someone out there might be in the same spot and wants to think about a preemptive pick up. 

Carolina and GB are free agents in a lot of leagues right now.  Carolina is going against Washington, with Wash giving up the 6th most points to DST on the year. But they've been looking especially bad recently. 

Then there's the Packers going against the Giants. Giants have given up the 2nd most points to DST on the year, but I think they're better than the Skins at this point? 

Overall I think the GB DST is better than Car, but a matchup against Haskins is tough to pass up on. 

I picked up Green Bay for this exact reason.

Carolina also available, but I can only carry one, so as of now I’m working with Green Bay as I have to start them this week as well.

Any thoughts on CHI D (vs NYG) vs. BUF D (vs DEN)?

Had been rolling with Buffalo, but they aren't giving me warm and fuzzies. Miami moved the ball pretty well against them (twice now). Don't get it. 

BUF D universally ranked as #2 (behind PIT), but I'm not feeling it.

I’ve been rolling with the Niners but with Ford hurt and their playoff schedule I blinked. Picked up the Eagles as supposedly healthy and have really good matchups starting next week. Question is this week. Niners hosting GB or Eagles hosting Seahawks?

Edited by Judge Smails

1 hour ago, Judge Smails said:

I’ve been rolling with the Niners but with Ford hurt and their playoff schedule I blinked. Picked up the Eagles as supposedly healthy and have really good matchups starting next week. Question is this week. Niners hosting GB or Eagles hosting Seahawks?

Niners this week. I also like Seattle as a sleeper this week vs a banged up Philly team as long as Clowney plays. 

8 hours ago, kawaihae said:

I would play the D that is playing the terrible Redskins.   Haskins isn't even close to being an NFL QB.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

I would play the D that is playing the terrible Redskins.   Haskins isn't even close to being an NFL QB.  

Yes for this game I would go with the lion D mainly for that reason.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 1:11 AM, kawaihae said:

Giants have given up the 2nd most points to DST on the year, but I think they're better than the Skins at this point? 

Opposing fantasy defenses have averaged the most fantasy points against the Giants over the last 6 weeks by a wide margin.  In a fantasy league that doesn't give many fantasy points for points scored or yards given up, opposing fantasy defenses have averaged 15.8 fantasy points against the Giants over that stretch.  Second worst over that period is Tampa Bay at 12.4 fantasy points given up.  The Giants downturn does coincide with Barkley's injury so maybe a healthy Barkley would help both in pass protection and in keeping defenses honest.  Here is what opposing defenses have done against the Giants:

Week 1 Cowboys         5.0

Week 2 Bills                  5.0

Week 3 Buccaneers    9.0

Week 4 Redskins         8.0

Week 5 Vikings            9.0

Week 6 Patriots          21.0

Week 7 Cardinals       14.0

Week 8 Lions              11.0

Week 9 Cowboys       17.0

Week 10 Jets              16.0

Edited by Don Hutson

15 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I’m setting and forgetting the 9ers like I have all season

#### it

I was doing the same until someone inexplicably dropped BAL for DET, burned my #2 priority and made the switch. GB,@bal,@NO is brutal, down 2 DL, I feel lucky last week they got 8 pts on the last play or it would have been a single digit week. 

16 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I’m setting and forgetting the 9ers like I have all season

#### it

46 minutes ago, bb7278 said:

I was doing the same until someone inexplicably dropped BAL for DET, burned my #2 priority and made the switch. GB,@bal,@NO is brutal, down 2 DL, I feel lucky last week they got 8 pts on the last play or it would have been a single digit week. 

League Managers are following the weekly rankings, some look down the road, some looking for an edge this week. DET's edge over BAL is minimal at best. I think I'm actually playing DET in one DFS lineup. But, this is only a one week play.

SF seems like a set it and forget it for the most part. SF's schedule does make one wonder though. Rodgers could take a few sacks and toss an INT this week on the road. 

DET ranked higher than BAL this week by most.

BAL is a D/ST that continues to roll on and they have a solid schedule from here on out. While their ranking @ LAR is not ranked within the top 10-12 or even more by many, some I see have them around 6-8, YET the fractions are nominal and the FACT is they have been producing, and GOFF has been rattled with TO's. SOOOO what's not to like about BAL? No D/ST can continually expect double digit returns or defensive TD's every week. I like them because I like the return of value over the next 7 games moving forward. Otherwise, it's back to streaming and waiver wire.

When I saw BAL back on the waiver wire because of their bye in week 8, dropped with NE in week 9 I added them for free to pair with LAR for a week. I ended up with BAL in all three leagues. I was like, what gives, these guys throttled SEA in week 7 with 17 points. What's to question here? Great offense. Click ADD. Click DROP LAR and free up a bench space for Tyrell the Gazelle lol. Yep, he was dropped too. Borderline Flex play or bench play for me this week. Worthy of a bench spot by not holding two D/ST's.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Team Smokin' said:

League Managers are following the weekly rankings, some look down the road, some looking for an edge this week. DET's edge over BAL is minimal at best. I think I'm actually playing DET in one DFS lineup. But, this is only a one week play.

SF seems like a set it and forget it for the most part. SF's schedule does make one wonder though. Rodgers could take a few sacks and toss an INT this week on the road. 

DET ranked higher than BAL this week by most.

BAL is a D/ST that continues to roll on and they have a solid schedule from here on out. While their ranking @ LAR is not ranked within the top 10-12 or even more by many, some I see have them around 6-8, YET the fractions are nominal and the FACT is they have been producing, and GOFF has been rattled with TO's. SOOOO what's not to like about BAL? No D/ST can continually expect double digit returns or defensive TD's every week. I like them because I like the return of value over the next 7 games moving forward. Otherwise, it's back to streaming and waiver wire.

When I saw BAL back on the waiver wire because of their bye in week 8, dropped with NE in week 9 I added them for free to pair with LAR for a week. I ended up with BAL in all three leagues. I was like, what gives, these guys throttled SEA in week 7 with 17 points. What's to question here? Great offense. Click ADD. Click DROP LAR and free up a bench space for Tyrell the Gazelle lol. Yep, he was dropped too. Borderline Flex play or bench play for me this week. Worthy of a bench spot by not holding two D/ST's.

The narrative about New England at the beginning of this season disagrees with you. 

They have one game of less than double digit points and Baltimore has came on since gain Peters and getting Smith back on the outside. Baltimore has not had less than double digits since week 6. Before then they were sloppy, no dispute there, but they are not sloppy now and thats the point.

They traveled to Seattle against a way better team in a much harder place to dismantle the Seahawks. Then again against NE Cincy, sure but Houston too? They may not blow up, but 8 points is what I need.

2 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

The narrative about New England at the beginning of this season disagrees with you. 

They have one game of less than double digit points and Baltimore has came on since gain Peters and getting Smith back on the outside. Baltimore has not had less than double digits since week 6. Before then they were sloppy, no dispute there, but they are not sloppy now and thats the point.

They traveled to Seattle against a way better team in a much harder place to dismantle the Seahawks. Then again against NE Cincy, sure but Houston too? They may not blow up, but 8 points is what I need.

I was mentioning NE because whoever roster'd BAL dropped them during their bye week after they torched SEA in week 7 and looking ahead playing against NE early in the year was a team to avoid playing your defense. BAL manhandled NE and woke everyone up. Enter Lamar with introduction by Ingram.

BAL is my favorite to beat NE a second time and go to the Superbowl. KC may put up a good fight as well. Their D will be their achilles heal. I've pushed my chips all in on Lamar and D/ST.

3 hours ago, Team Smokin' said:

I was mentioning NE because whoever roster'd BAL dropped them during their bye week after they torched SEA in week 7 and looking ahead playing against NE early in the year was a team to avoid playing your defense. BAL manhandled NE and woke everyone up. Enter Lamar with introduction by Ingram.

BAL is my favorite to beat NE a second time and go to the Superbowl. KC may put up a good fight as well. Their D will be their achilles heal. I've pushed my chips all in on Lamar and D/ST.

Now that the weather is looking like big wind in Washington, Detroit may be a better play this weeks. Haskins and wind...that has to be nice, right? 

15 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

Now that the weather is looking like big wind in Washington, Detroit may be a better play this weeks. Haskins and wind...that has to be nice, right? 

Have DET available to me as well, but am leaning toward dropping LAR to add ATL; Defense has looked real good the past 2 weeks and they're playing Winston...

BUF vs DEN and PIT @ CIN is my debate. Going with PIT. I’ve made the wrong choice 100% of the time over the last 4 weeks

16 minutes ago, D_House said:

BUF vs DEN and PIT @ CIN is my debate. Going with PIT. I’ve made the wrong choice 100% of the time over the last 4 weeks

Tough to sit any Defense vs. Cin....

40 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

I’m going Lions over ATL. Bucs could still score, I’ll take the high school QB against my defense 

1 minute ago, Loipz said:

I’m going Lions over ATL. Bucs could still score, I’ll take the high school QB against my defense 

very true; although with Winston throwing INT's at a historic rate, I think ATL has the potential to run one back a well...even if TB puts up more points. 

That HS QB in WAS is a tasty matchup for the defense tho...:wall:

Struggling with BUF (vs DEN) or CHI (vs NYG).

Feel like I need to go for ceiling today. I could see BUF/DEN being the lower scoring game, but maybe Denver doesn't turn it over / get sacked.

Could actually see the NYG being a bit spunky today in Chicago, but I could also see D. Jones throwing picks, fumbling (and he's fumbled 6 times I think in the last 4 games).

1 hour ago, 4th&inches said:

Tough to sit any Defense vs. Cin....

The Pitt D is good.  Cincy is awful.  I picked up the Raiders D to play against Cincy last week and it worked out.   Pitt is twice the D of Oakland.   

Now planning on rolling with PIT this week and PHI next (and maybe a few weeks after if I make the playoffs). 

4 hours ago, GoBirds said:

How do you guys like Eagles after this week?

6th overall in Football Outsiders' weighted DVOA, apparently a healed secondary. I picked them up for Wk 13 at least.  

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 7:37 PM, shadyridr said:

Niners this week. I also like Seattle as a sleeper this week vs a banged up Philly team as long as Clowney plays. 

Sometimes I wish I listen to my own advice. 

On 11/20/2019 at 7:28 PM, VikingFrog said:

I believe I’m dropping San Fran for Green Bay

May sound crazy to some.

Put me in a straight jacket and lock me up in a padded room. Because I’m now certifiably crazy.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 7:45 AM, GoBirds said:

How do you guys like Eagles after this week?

I like Philly in general because of their closing schedule.

• Like 1

HAVE BAL, playing them tonight. Next week SF @ BAL. Not exactly digging BAL next week so I snagged GB before they played last night. GB gets NYG and WAS in weeks 13 & 14. After last nights beat down not a whole lot of confidence in playing GB at the Giants next week. Holding two D/ST for now.

13) GB @ NYG or SF @ BAL 

14) WAS @ GB or BAL @ BUF 

BAL closing out the season in weeks 15, 16, 17.     

15) NYJ @ BAL or CHI @ GB

16) BAL @ CLE or GB @ MIN

17) PIT @ BAL or GB @ DET    

Anyone shying away from GB D/ST after last nights drubbing? I gotta believe they will come to NY next week and do a number on the Giants.

Need to look ahead to week 14.  Choices are sf, gb, hou, or cle:

SF vs No

GB vs Was

Hou vs Den

Cle vs Cin

7 hours ago, Truebluey said:

Which streamers do we like for this weekend? 

Carolina vs Washington 

14 hours ago, shadyridr said:

Carolina vs Washington 

This is where I'm at as well.  I have NE, but I keep getting nervous with the better matchups.  Leaning CAR for this weekend.

Like CAR DST this week a lot... and their ROS schedule isn't terrible either. SEA kind of scares me & Indy can put up points in any given week, but considering what's available on your wire, they could be the best out there. 

Also really like NYJ this week, next week, and then again in week 16 vs PIT... but then there's the troubling BAL game in BAL in week 15 which scares the heck outta me. 

27 minutes ago, Truebluey said:

How about Philly v Miami?

If only this week matters I'd pick Carolina. Miami hasn't been the pushover they were earlier in the year. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 4:57 PM, Team Smokin' said:

HAVE BAL, playing them tonight. Next week SF @ BAL. Not exactly digging BAL next week so I snagged GB before they played last night. GB gets NYG and WAS in weeks 13 & 14. After last nights beat down not a whole lot of confidence in playing GB at the Giants next week. Holding two D/ST for now.

13) GB @ NYG or SF @ BAL 

14) WAS @ GB or BAL @ BUF 

BAL closing out the season in weeks 15, 16, 17.     

15) NYJ @ BAL or CHI @ GB

16) BAL @ CLE or GB @ MIN

17) PIT @ BAL or GB @ DET    

Anyone shying away from GB D/ST after last nights drubbing? I gotta believe they will come to NY next week and do a number on the Giants.

I picked up Green Bay last week and rolled them out against the niners... ouch... but survived.

Im in a must win situation this week so grabbed them for this specific game.

The packers are in as much of a must win as they can be with the Vikings right next to them in the division. This is a must win for the Packers as well.  Look for them to bounce back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

If only this week matters I'd pick Carolina. Miami hasn't been the pushover they were earlier in the year. 

Miami has only given up the 14th most points to opposing defenses over the last 4 weeks.  Fitzpatrick > Rookie Quarterback.  In fact, if you take away the monster week that the Patriots defense had against the Dolphins in Week 2, they haven't been horrible on the season as a whole.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peak said:

This is where I'm at as well.  I have NE, but I keep getting nervous with the better matchups.  Leaning CAR for this weekend.

Samesies.  Actually, I'm not leaning Carolina.  I'm fully on board.  I'm hoping that the little bit of confidence that Haskins got from last week will cause him to play a little bit looser and riskier.  I'm hoping his interception total matches his jersey.

Edited by Don Hutson
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, VikingFrog said:

I picked up Green Bay last week and rolled them out against the niners... ouch... but survived.

Im in a must win situation this week so grabbed them for this specific game.

The packers are in as much of a must win as they can be with the Vikings right next to them in the division. This is a must win for the Packers as well.  Look for them to bounce back.

Hope you right.   GB has two nice match ups on paper coming up and could be used against CHI and Det.   

17 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Hope you right.   GB has two nice match ups on paper coming up and could be used against CHI and Det.   

With Minnesota playing Monday night, they have the division on the line against NYG.  I think they come out swinging after a tough game. And even with a Minnesota loss they will have to play each one of these games as if it was for the division.

• Like 1

For this week's stream, hard to beat CAR.

Debating CAR, PHI, and NYJ in terms of ROS. 

PHI and NYJ seem to have more favorable matchups through playoffs, but CAR may be a good play next week against ATL if Ryan can't turn it around.

Hard to beat NYJ's 1-2 punch of @CIN and MIA, and they are definitely coming down the stretch with tons of momentum.

PHI has a potentially great 3-week run of @MIA, NYG, @WAS, but have also been unpredictable at times this season as a fantasy option.

Leaning Jets to ride the momentum into the fantasy playoffs and take it from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've ranked the Week 14 defenses by adding average points scored by defense plus opponent's average points allowed to opposing defenses.

Scoring is 0pt=5, 1-5pt=2, 6-10pt=1, TD=6, FR=2, Int=2, Sack=1, Safety=2

Jets (8.36) vs Dolphins (10.7) = 19.06  

Patriots (13.55) vs Chiefs (4.3) = 17.85

Eagles (6.73) vs Giants (10.7) = 17.43  

Steelers (10.45) at Cardinals (6.5) = 16.95  

Rams (7.82) vs Seahawks (8.5) = 16.32  

Panthers (8.36) at Falcons (7.9) = 16.26  

Browns (6.09) vs Bengals (9.7) = 15.79  

Colts (5.09) at Buccaneers (10.5) = 15.59  

49ers (11.18) at Saints (3.9) = 15.08

Ravens (8.55) at Bills (6.5) = 15.05

Seahawks (7.73) at Rams (6.5) = 14.23

Saints (7.64) vs 49ers (6.5) = 14.14

Packers (5.45) vs Redskins (8.3) = 13.75  

Giants (6.73) at Eagles (7.0) = 13.73  

Dolphins (3.45) at Jets (9.6) = 13.05    

Jaguars (6.27) vs Chargers (6.7) = 12.97  

Buccaneers (7.27) vs Colts (5.7) = 12.97

Chiefs (7.09) at Patriots (5.7) = 12.79

Vikings (6.09) vs Lions (6.6) = 12.69  

Raiders (5.91) vs Titans (6.7) = 12.61  

Texans (5.27) vs Broncos (6.8) = 12.07  

Falcons (4.27) vs Panthers (7.8) = 12.07  

Titans (7.00) at Raiders (4.3) = 11.30

Bengals (3.82) at Browns (7.4) = 11.22  

Cowboys (5.45) at Bears (5.5) = 10.95  

Cardinals (4.82) vs Steelers (6.1) = 10.92  

Bills (6.45) vs Ravens (4.4) = 10.85

Chargers (4.91) at Jaguars (5.8) = 10.71  

Redskins (6.36) at Packers (4.1) = 10.46  

Lions (6.00) at Vikings (4.3) = 10.30  

Broncos (4.36) at Texans (5.9) = 10.26  

Bears (6.36) vs Cowboys (3.8) = 10.16

Edited by Don Hutson
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

I've ranked the Week 14 defenses by adding average points scored by defense plus opponent's average points allowed to opposing defenses.

Great data. I was able to sneak the Jets after someone dropped them so now I own the packers and the Jets. But may drop one for some upside running back. This points to that being the Packers.

Side note on your scoring. Which is very similar to all leagues I’ve played in. I’ve always thought a shutout should be worth a lot more. As difficult as it is to do in the nfl, getting a mere 5 points for it seems low.

4 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

Thanks Don. I could not do this, so “hats off” to you!!

For those of us in the playoffs, any chance you can use this data to do this for weeks 14 and 15?

11 minutes ago, VikingFrog said:

Great data. I was able to sneak the Jets after someone dropped them so now I own the packers and the Jets. But may drop one for some upside running back. This points to that being the Packers.

Side note on your scoring. Which is very similar to all leagues I’ve played in. I’ve always thought a shutout should be worth a lot more. As difficult as it is to do in the nfl, getting a mere 5 points for it seems low.

I'm leaning toward the Packers, too.  But I'll go with the Vikings if Driskel is out and Detroit has to go with 3rd-stringer David Blough.  The Lions are making it sound like Driskel is okay but Patricia is fighting for his job and preparing for run happy Driskel is very different than preparing for Blough so they have a lot of incentive to lie.  

Most of my leagues seem to have low scoring for defenses.  I'd prefer that they would score more because I put effort into getting a quality one.

15 minutes ago, robb said:

Thanks Don. I could not do this, so “hats off” to you!!

For those of us in the playoffs, any chance you can use this data to do this for weeks 14 and 15?

That list is for Week 14.  I probably won't do it for Week 15 because I own the Patriots defense and they are facing the Bengals.  But maybe I will if I'm bored.

Edited by Don Hutson

I've decided to go with the Packers instead of the Panthers this week.  The Giants have given up the most points to opposing defenses this season.  There might be a lot of rain in East Rutherford on Sunday.  The Packers haven't been a great fantasy defense but they're a good enough defense to have a huge day against Daniel Jones playing in bad conditions.