What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (7 Viewers)

HAVE BAL, playing them tonight. Next week SF @ BAL. Not exactly digging BAL next week so I snagged GB before they played last night. GB gets NYG and WAS in weeks 13 & 14. After last nights beat down not a whole lot of confidence in playing GB at the Giants next week. Holding two D/ST for now.

13) GB @ NYG or SF @ BAL 

14) WAS @ GB or BAL @ BUF 

BAL closing out the season in weeks 15, 16, 17.     

15) NYJ @ BAL or CHI @ GB

16) BAL @ CLE or GB @ MIN

17) PIT @ BAL or GB @ DET    

Anyone shying away from GB D/ST after last nights drubbing? I gotta believe they will come to NY next week and do a number on the Giants.

Like CAR DST this week a lot... and their ROS schedule isn't terrible either. SEA kind of scares me & Indy can put up points in any given week, but considering what's available on your wire, they could be the best out there. 

Also really like NYJ this week, next week, and then again in week 16 vs PIT... but then there's the troubling BAL game in BAL in week 15 which scares the heck outta me. 

Team Smokin' said:
HAVE BAL, playing them tonight. Next week SF @ BAL. Not exactly digging BAL next week so I snagged GB before they played last night. GB gets NYG and WAS in weeks 13 & 14. After last nights beat down not a whole lot of confidence in playing GB at the Giants next week. Holding two D/ST for now.

13) GB @ NYG or SF @ BAL 

14) WAS @ GB or BAL @ BUF 

BAL closing out the season in weeks 15, 16, 17.     

15) NYJ @ BAL or CHI @ GB

16) BAL @ CLE or GB @ MIN

17) PIT @ BAL or GB @ DET    

Anyone shying away from GB D/ST after last nights drubbing? I gotta believe they will come to NY next week and do a number on the Giants.
I picked up Green Bay last week and rolled them out against the niners... ouch... but survived.

Im in a must win situation this week so grabbed them for this specific game.

The packers are in as much of a must win as they can be with the Vikings right next to them in the division. This is a must win for the Packers as well.  Look for them to bounce back.

If only this week matters I'd pick Carolina. Miami hasn't been the pushover they were earlier in the year. 
Miami has only given up the 14th most points to opposing defenses over the last 4 weeks.  Fitzpatrick > Rookie Quarterback.  In fact, if you take away the monster week that the Patriots defense had against the Dolphins in Week 2, they haven't been horrible on the season as a whole.

Peak said:
This is where I'm at as well.  I have NE, but I keep getting nervous with the better matchups.  Leaning CAR for this weekend.
Samesies.  Actually, I'm not leaning Carolina.  I'm fully on board.  I'm hoping that the little bit of confidence that Haskins got from last week will cause him to play a little bit looser and riskier.  I'm hoping his interception total matches his jersey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up Green Bay last week and rolled them out against the niners... ouch... but survived.

Im in a must win situation this week so grabbed them for this specific game.

The packers are in as much of a must win as they can be with the Vikings right next to them in the division. This is a must win for the Packers as well.  Look for them to bounce back.
Hope you right.   GB has two nice match ups on paper coming up and could be used against CHI and Det.   

Hope you right.   GB has two nice match ups on paper coming up and could be used against CHI and Det.   
With Minnesota playing Monday night, they have the division on the line against NYG.  I think they come out swinging after a tough game. And even with a Minnesota loss they will have to play each one of these games as if it was for the division.

For this week's stream, hard to beat CAR.

Debating CAR, PHI, and NYJ in terms of ROS. 

PHI and NYJ seem to have more favorable matchups through playoffs, but CAR may be a good play next week against ATL if Ryan can't turn it around.

Hard to beat NYJ's 1-2 punch of @CIN and MIA, and they are definitely coming down the stretch with tons of momentum.

PHI has a potentially great 3-week run of @MIA, NYG, @WAS, but have also been unpredictable at times this season as a fantasy option.

Leaning Jets to ride the momentum into the fantasy playoffs and take it from there.

I've ranked the Week 14 defenses by adding average points scored by defense plus opponent's average points allowed to opposing defenses.

Scoring is 0pt=5, 1-5pt=2, 6-10pt=1, TD=6, FR=2, Int=2, Sack=1, Safety=2

Jets (8.36) vs Dolphins (10.7) = 19.06  

Patriots (13.55) vs Chiefs (4.3) = 17.85

Eagles (6.73) vs Giants (10.7) = 17.43  

Steelers (10.45) at Cardinals (6.5) = 16.95  

Rams (7.82) vs Seahawks (8.5) = 16.32  

Panthers (8.36) at Falcons (7.9) = 16.26  

Browns (6.09) vs Bengals (9.7) = 15.79  

Colts (5.09) at Buccaneers (10.5) = 15.59  

49ers (11.18) at Saints (3.9) = 15.08

Ravens (8.55) at Bills (6.5) = 15.05

Seahawks (7.73) at Rams (6.5) = 14.23

Saints (7.64) vs 49ers (6.5) = 14.14

Packers (5.45) vs Redskins (8.3) = 13.75  

Giants (6.73) at Eagles (7.0) = 13.73  

Dolphins (3.45) at Jets (9.6) = 13.05    

Jaguars (6.27) vs Chargers (6.7) = 12.97  

Buccaneers (7.27) vs Colts (5.7) = 12.97

Chiefs (7.09) at Patriots (5.7) = 12.79

Vikings (6.09) vs Lions (6.6) = 12.69  

Raiders (5.91) vs Titans (6.7) = 12.61  

Texans (5.27) vs Broncos (6.8) = 12.07  

Falcons (4.27) vs Panthers (7.8) = 12.07  

Titans (7.00) at Raiders (4.3) = 11.30

Bengals (3.82) at Browns (7.4) = 11.22  

Cowboys (5.45) at Bears (5.5) = 10.95  

Cardinals (4.82) vs Steelers (6.1) = 10.92  

Bills (6.45) vs Ravens (4.4) = 10.85

Chargers (4.91) at Jaguars (5.8) = 10.71  

Redskins (6.36) at Packers (4.1) = 10.46  

Lions (6.00) at Vikings (4.3) = 10.30  

Broncos (4.36) at Texans (5.9) = 10.26  

Bears (6.36) vs Cowboys (3.8) = 10.16

I've ranked the Week 14 defenses by adding average points scored by defense plus opponent's average points allowed to opposing defenses.

Great data. I was able to sneak the Jets after someone dropped them so now I own the packers and the Jets. But may drop one for some upside running back. This points to that being the Packers.

Side note on your scoring. Which is very similar to all leagues I’ve played in. I’ve always thought a shutout should be worth a lot more. As difficult as it is to do in the nfl, getting a mere 5 points for it seems low.

Thanks Don. I could not do this, so “hats off” to you!!

For those of us in the playoffs, any chance you can use this data to do this for weeks 14 and 15?

Great data. I was able to sneak the Jets after someone dropped them so now I own the packers and the Jets. But may drop one for some upside running back. This points to that being the Packers.

Side note on your scoring. Which is very similar to all leagues I’ve played in. I’ve always thought a shutout should be worth a lot more. As difficult as it is to do in the nfl, getting a mere 5 points for it seems low.
I'm leaning toward the Packers, too.  But I'll go with the Vikings if Driskel is out and Detroit has to go with 3rd-stringer David Blough.  The Lions are making it sound like Driskel is okay but Patricia is fighting for his job and preparing for run happy Driskel is very different than preparing for Blough so they have a lot of incentive to lie.  

Most of my leagues seem to have low scoring for defenses.  I'd prefer that they would score more because I put effort into getting a quality one.

Thanks Don. I could not do this, so “hats off” to you!!

For those of us in the playoffs, any chance you can use this data to do this for weeks 14 and 15?
That list is for Week 14.  I probably won't do it for Week 15 because I own the Patriots defense and they are facing the Bengals.  But maybe I will if I'm bored.

I've decided to go with the Packers instead of the Panthers this week.  The Giants have given up the most points to opposing defenses this season.  There might be a lot of rain in East Rutherford on Sunday.  The Packers haven't been a great fantasy defense but they're a good enough defense to have a huge day against Daniel Jones playing in bad conditions.

I need a win this week to secure #1 regular season money and a week 14 bye. Have been riding mostly the Bills this year but am obviously concerned about them this week. I forgot to pay attention to DST on the WW this week (missed on my claim for the Jets), so now I'm picking from scraps. Which of these would you pair with the Bills for 13, 15, 16?

Vikings, Titans, Colts, Browns, Cowboys, Texans, Saints

Or other lower-hanging fruit, as well.

Anyone know where you can find data on the degree to which not only a defense is generating sacks but also pressure in general?

Looking to go beyond the basic scoring data to stash some Ds for the playoff stretch.

I've started looking at Week 16's defenses.  I had originally thought that I'd start the Patriots defense against the Bills in Week 16 (assuming I get there).  But the Bills no longer look like a good matchup.  In the first 4 weeks of the season, the Bills gave up the second highest average fantasy points to opposing defenses.  But in Weeks 5-12, the Bills tied for fewest average fantasy points given up to opposing defenses.  

Below are Week 16's matchups.  With the Giants playing the Redskins and the Bengals playing the Dolphins, there are far fewer juicy matchups than normal.  In fact, there might not be any truly juicy matchups.  I'm leaning toward picking up the Chiefs (@Bears).  Any one see a defense that they think has a good situation?

Lions at Broncos

Bills at Patriots

Raiders at Chargers

Rams at 49ers

Texans at Buccaneers

Saints at Titans

Giants at Redskins

Panthers at Colts

Jaguars at Falcons

Steelers at Jets 

Ravens at Browns

Bengals at Dolphins

Cowboys at Eagles

Cardinals at Seahawks

Chiefs at Bears

Packers at Vikings

I've started looking at Week 16's defenses.  I had originally thought that I'd start the Patriots defense against the Bills in Week 16 (assuming I get there).  But the Bills no longer look like a good matchup.  In the first 4 weeks of the season, the Bills gave up the second highest average fantasy points to opposing defenses.  But in Weeks 5-12, the Bills tied for fewest average fantasy points given up to opposing defenses.  

Below are Week 16's matchups.  With the Giants playing the Redskins and the Bengals playing the Dolphins, there are far fewer juicy matchups than normal.  In fact, there might not be any truly juicy matchups.  I'm leaning toward picking up the Chiefs (@Bears).  Any one see a defense that they think has a good situation?

Lions at Broncos

Bills at Patriots

Raiders at Chargers

Rams at 49ers

Texans at Buccaneers

Saints at Titans

Giants at Redskins

Panthers at Colts

Jaguars at Falcons

Steelers at Jets 

Ravens at Browns

Bengals at Dolphins

Cowboys at Eagles

Cardinals at Seahawks

Chiefs at Bears

Packers at Vikings
Have to seriously consider picking any D going vs the Falcons. As another poster recently said, their OL is "OMG bad". Sack and TO heaven.

What are people's thoughts on the Chargers this week?  Probably Drew Lock start (assuming he is activated).  Also possible return of Derwin James.  We should know tomorrow if either is happening.  What if Drew Lock and Derwin James are both activated?  Does that bump up the Chargers DST?

I currently have the Ravens, so looking for anybody with more upside - 49ers offense is not likely to roll over like some of the Ravens recent opponents.  Certainly don't expect lots of takeaways by the Ravens.

Packers would be the other choice - they have to be steaming mad after last week, but their D isn't that great.  Just noticed Evan Engram, Golden Tate and Rhett Ellison are all out this week, which obviously limits the Giants offense.

I can't make a move until tomorrow because Jonathan Williams is the player I would probably drop to make room for the Packers or Chargers, and I don't want anybody to pick him up for this week.  With his playoff schedule and possible return of Marlon Mack at some point he's the most expendable guy on my roster.

VikingFrog said:
Jets and Green Bay are enticing.

Green Bay game will have poor weather in New York and engram and Tate are OUT.  Which may be the factor that decides between the two.
I'm going with Green Bay.  The forecast in East Rutherford isn't looking good.  It's going to be a rain/snow mix to begin the game.  It could be a slippery ball and field.

Anyone switching to the Chargers now that Drew Lock is starting for the Broncos?  Unfortunately, it's nice weather and the Chargers defense is the 27th highest scoring defense.  But Drew Lock came into the league with decision making as his main criticism.  He isn't afraid to throw into coverage.  There could be some growing pains as he learns that he can't get away in the NFL what he got away with in college.  I'm not going to put in the Chargers defense over the Packers defense but I'm strongly considering replacing the Panthers defense.

themeistersinger said:
What are people's thoughts on the Chargers this week?  Probably Drew Lock start (assuming he is activated).  Also possible return of Derwin James.  We should know tomorrow if either is happening.  What if Drew Lock and Derwin James are both activated?  Does that bump up the Chargers DST?

I currently have the Ravens, so looking for anybody with more upside - 49ers offense is not likely to roll over like some of the Ravens recent opponents.  Certainly don't expect lots of takeaways by the Ravens.

Packers would be the other choice - they have to be steaming mad after last week, but their D isn't that great.  Just noticed Evan Engram, Golden Tate and Rhett Ellison are all out this week, which obviously limits the Giants offense.

I can't make a move until tomorrow because Jonathan Williams is the player I would probably drop to make room for the Packers or Chargers, and I don't want anybody to pick him up for this week.  With his playoff schedule and possible return of Marlon Mack at some point he's the most expendable guy on my roster.
I am in the exact same boat. I own the Baltimore Ravens D/ST and currently have them starting in all 3 leagues. 

Now, the big money league I am considering GB, and now LAC as well. I picked up GB specifically for weeks 13 & 14 last week early only to drop them after a -1 performance last week. Everyone is gun shy on GB now, including me lol. I somehow think they have a bad taste in their mouth and they come out swinging to make amends. D Jones is also a turnover machine and they can't just rely on Barkley. To keep pace they're gonna have to throw the ball.

Enter Drew Lock and the Los Angeles Chargers coming to town. Is it official he starts?

Three choices for my team and not who do I start: stick with BAL (they are hot no matter who they play), GB (mad as hell lol), or LAC (green QB)?

In order to pick up either GB or LAC Breida would have to be declared OUT (conflicting reports on him) to make room to carry a second D/ST.

I am in the exact same boat. I own the Baltimore Ravens D/ST and currently have them starting in all 3 leagues. 

Now, the big money league I am considering GB, and now LAC as well. I picked up GB specifically for weeks 13 & 14 last week early only to drop them after a -1 performance last week. Everyone is gun shy on GB now, including me lol. I somehow think they have a bad taste in their mouth and they come out swinging to make amends. D Jones is also a turnover machine and they can't just rely on Barkley. To keep pace they're gonna have to throw the ball.

Enter Drew Lock and the Los Angeles Chargers coming to town. Is it official he starts?

Three choices for my team and not who do I start: stick with BAL (they are hot no matter who they play), GB (mad as hell lol), or LAC (green QB)?

In order to pick up either GB or LAC Breida would have to be declared OUT (conflicting reports on him) to make room to carry a second D/ST.
Saw a report that Breida is out. But fantasy leagues might not mark him that way until 11:30. Also was announced lock would start but things could change I guess

I seem to drop the defense I should have started the day before the games for another flavor of the day so I’m just gonna wait til Sunday morning to choose. No regrets that way!

Starting to really warm up to the KC D. Next 3 weeks:

* @NE (now a good play), DEN (now film on Lock), @CHI (Trubisky)

Sitting in waivers. Hoping to pair with PHI D.

Also looking at them and the Vikings on the wire.  I originally thought I was a genius picking the Jets for this week but now that's looking quite shaky.

Cardinals at Seahawks
not sure of ownership %, but Seahawks are available in my league and I am going to grab them tomorrow.  I have NEP, so maybe will just play them, but SEA at home again an up and down offense seems like the best to me.

Users who are viewing this thread