What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nicki Minaj vs. Tracy Chapman: Sampling Battle (1 Viewer)

Who would you rather bone?

• Nicki Minaj

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Tracy Chapman

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Al O'Pecia

Footballguy
Since the front page of the FFA is dominated with music topics I thought, "What the hell?  Let's add another!"

Nicki Minaj and Tracy Chapman are currently in the midst of the following music controversy which has some Nicki fans attacking Tracy Chapman on social media:

Nicki Minaj was forced to dump her version of Tracy Chapman‘s hit song “Baby Can I Hold You” off her new album, Queen, after the alternative music legend denied her request to sample the song.

The 35-year-old rapper took to social media to inform her fans that Queen — originally scheduled to drop on August 10 — was delayed a week while she sought permission from Chapman to sample “Baby Can I Hold You” for her new song titled “Sorry”.

But Chapman, 54, refused to clear the sample for Nicki’s new song featuring her ex-lover Nas.

Permission was presumably denied because Chapman, a musical perfectionist, is not a fan of Nicki’s raps or her singing.

New York DJ Funkmaster Flex got ahold of the deleted album track and played it on his radio show over the weekend, prompting Nicki to post the now-deleted tweet “Sis said no”, suggesting Chapman didn’t like her rap track.

I prefer artists not deny the use of their material and instead support other artists. Ofcourse, negotiating a fair amount of money from an artist as successful as Minaj is fair. 

I prefer artists not deny the use of their material and instead support other artists. Ofcourse, negotiating a fair amount of money from an artist as successful as Minaj is fair. 
Whether you like Minaj or not, you would have to agree that her songs at best, are very crass. If in this case, Chapman disagrees with her type of music, why on Earth would she be supportive of an artist like that? 

Wait, I thought No means no? right? If the original artist doesn't want it sampled, respect it. Don't be a baby about it and FU to Flex for making it a bigger issue then it should be. Plus, shouldn't the song never make it to the album w/o permission fist? So no permission, don't record it and have your 17 songwriters lift someone else's tracks.

Wait, I thought No means no? right? If the original artist doesn't want it sampled, respect it. Don't be a baby about it and FU to Flex for making it a bigger issue then it should be. Plus, shouldn't the song never make it to the album w/o permission fist? So no permission, don't record it and have your 17 songwriters lift someone else's tracks.
I think:

typically these songs get sampled without trouble. It is very rare for an artist to deny another artist use to a song in these situations. 

This. She probably sampled it and then sought a clearance, only to be probably surprised she didn't get it. 

It doesn't sound malicious, it sounds like standard operating procedure. And since it was already on the recording, Funkmaster Flex got a hold of it because industry people already have the record before release. 

That said, I think sampling a certain amount of a sound recording and its underlying composition should be considered de minimis use or fair use and sampling should be encouraged as an artistic expression of a form of music collage. 

No issues with sampling whatsoever. It's still creating something new from something old - which is how music usually works. There are loads of artists coming up with completely original songs but keeping older material around in a new way is great too.

I don't have any problem with an artist denying another from sampling their work but I do think it's pretty lame. 

Users who are viewing this thread