What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Red Dead Redemption 2 Thread***aka AHRN'S MURDER HOBO ADVENTURE: HUNTS ELK AND PLAYS POKER (3 Viewers)

As much as it pains me to say it, I’m not sure how much I like the game. 

Graphics are amazing, voice acting amazing, attention to detail amazing, gameplay... well, right now it’s boring. I’ve got about 4 hours in and at this point that consists of going from point A to point B and listening to a bunch of talk. Right now it’s a great movie, but not much of a video game. I’m going to keep trucking along, but I gotta say my first impression is one of disappointment.

Im half wondering in the back of my head if open world games have passed me by.  They’re just so insanely large now where you spend 10 minutes traveling instead of like Vice City where you could get around in a couple of minutes. 
When I went to the RDR2 launch at my Gamestop someone was already trading in the new AC game saying the map was way too large. Yeah these worlds are getting too large. Also other then going to Camp behind your tent there seems to be no way to fast travel like the last game or I'm just missing it 

Wasn't really ready for the horse to take a dump as I'm stowing a deer carcass. 

And I've just spent the last half hour picking mushrooms, oregano, carrots... what is wrong with me? 
Noticed my horse low hanging big balls swinging away when we were on the move last night. 

When I went to the RDR2 launch at my Gamestop someone was already trading in the new AC game saying the map was way too large. Yeah these worlds are getting too large. Also other then going to Camp behind your tent there seems to be no way to fast travel like the last game or I'm just missing it 
Just like the last game, fast travel is possible a little later

Just like the last game, fast travel is possible a little later
I figured that. I just seem to spend 10 mins going from Point A to Point B. The good thing is as long as guys aren't in camp to progress the storyline and in town I've been too I can save some time there for now. You have to update all of Dutch's camp stuff to get it

I figured that. I just seem to spend 10 mins going from Point A to Point B. The good thing is as long as guys aren't in camp to progress the storyline and in town I've been too I can save some time there for now. You have to update all of Dutch's camp stuff to get it
Huh?

Loving the intro so far. Can see how it could be slow for some, but it's clear more than anything they are immersing the player. Hence all the realism stuff that is frustrating some I guess. I do wish looting stuff was a little faster but I gather they're going for a risk/reward thing there, later when the stakes are higher. 

About the first task:

chose to let the O'Doosh guy live, looking forward to the ramifications later

during camp upgrades in the journal next to Gang donation box you go through the pages and on the right after Food and ammunitions and weapons supplies theres a section with Arthur and Dutch tents. You can upgrade the first part costing $140. The next is a upgrade the rest of the camp at 240. Then theres one for really cheap about getting Dutch maps to plan out journeys. You get that and go to the back of your tent on the side is a map with all the names of the big location towns and ranches you've visited. You can fast track from there. 

Loving the intro so far. Can see how it could be slow for some, but it's clear more than anything they are immersing the player. Hence all the realism stuff that is frustrating some I guess. I do wish looting stuff was a little faster but I gather they're going for a risk/reward thing there, later when the stakes are higher. 

About the first task:

chose to let the O'Doosh guy live, looking forward to the ramifications later
Its been like over 30 hrs since I did that mission I can't remember what I did with that guy. 

Did a random stranger mission where I took a damsel back to a town waaaaay up in the northeast corner of the map. Wandered my way back and hit some interesting “radial” -type missions. This seems to have a lot more random stuff so far, which is awesome.

my only complaint with the Witcher is the lack of totally random stuff out in the vast wilderness. It was huge, but fairly empty. 

This seems pretty packed so far. More like Fallout imo.

Anyone download the companion app?   Looking for it but can't find it.   They say it's a nice tool for when you turn off the HUD.  

Liking it a bit more now that we’ve opened up a bit and getting a bit into a groove.

If you haven’t started or aren’t used to the default controls, I’d HIGHLY recommend changing controls to first person shooter, taking the dead zone all the way down to zero, and upping the sensitivity all the way up to the top.  Things are still a little clunky, but much better overall. 

Im trying to play as a bit of an honorable outlaw. I’m not going to pull my gun unless needed, but if you mess with me...

https://xboxclips.com/guerilla gunner/c5c9fd90-624b-4967-b0ba-d3d8dda9d4e3

Turning up the aim sensitivity and down the dead spot setting did help that feeling of slow, deliberate movement for me

Does anyone know how the “witness” system works? I understand that, on a basic level, if you commit a crime with a witness sitting there you can get flagged.

A more interesting aspect: dead bodies. I believe it is kinda like AC in that you have to hide them.

I was trying to talk to a lone traveler at a cross road last night. Ended up pulling a gun and things got ... messy. Suddenly I have a corpse to deal with. So initially I do what any responsible person would do: I take the guy’s stuff to prevent any bandit from being unjustly enriched. Then, I decide I probably should move the body off the road, proper burial and all. As I’m doing so, a group of 3 more travelers approach and I get the “witness” flag. Hmm. Guess I have to kill them too. This happens one more time. 3 more corpses.

Eventually, I ended up dumping all 7 bodies into a ravine. And, as an added bonus, I fell off and died disposing of the last one.

fun game!
:lmao:

Damn silly controls cost an innocent father his life. I was just trying to start up conversation and I apparently pressed circle and threw fisticuffs. So we got into a bit of a scuffle and pulled out my six shooter and shot him in the face at point blank range. His sons dropped the wood frame of the house they were putting up and hightailed it out of there. So much for being honorable. 

Chapter 1 was okay -- visually jaw-dropping even by what we've become accustomed to this generation, but kind of boring gameplay.  This game got way better once it opened up into Chapter 2.  I played for about 6 hours today at it felt like 30 minutes.  I have some minor complaints about how the game rewards and punishes various choices, but those can sit for now.  

Twice I've been ambushed by guys on horseback.

I was run over by an angry elk.

I have bounties on me all over and have no money.

I also accidentally left a lady in the middle of nowhere that I was trying to help

:lol:

So what is the consensus here? I haven't played a video game in a couple years but this does look cool. 

To me it was painfully slow for the first few missions. But once they get their second camp set up and you get a few things unlocked it picks up quite a bit.  I'm enjoying it.  It's still really early in the game but the advancement of upgrades/weapons/etc feels about right.  Not too easy or fast, but not too hard either.

Twice I've been ambushed by guys on horseback.

I was run over by an angry elk.

I have bounties on me all over and have no money.

I also accidentally left a lady in the middle of nowhere that I was trying to help

:lol:
So having a bounty on you sucks. I reccomend using up almost all your money and just turning yourself in at the Sherriff. They take whatever $ you have but you keep everything else and spend a night sleeping in jail. 

A shot a deer but it wasn’t clean so it laid there crying. My mortified wife watched with her jaw dropped and then started lightly crying. She walked ot of the room when I skinned it. 

Having fun. 
:lmao:

i traumarized my kids with the same. Then proudly declared “THIS IS WHY WE DONT HUNT!!!”

Controls can be a bit annoying on Xbox. The radial wheel (and simultaneously holding / pressing two buttons to navigate) does not seem like an easy and intuitive way to handle inventory in this day and age.

Controls can be a bit annoying on Xbox. The radial wheel (and simultaneously holding / pressing two buttons to navigate) does not seem like an easy and intuitive way to handle inventory in this day and age.
Everything about how this game handles inventory management and item use is weird.  Actions are goofy too.  For example, on PS4 you hold down triangle to hitch your horse.  But triangle also causes you to dismount.  So if the horse moves slightly while you're trying to hitch, you'll actually dismount and then need to remount to start over.  Also, when you're not in combat, you hit R2 to get out your gun, which makes it aim-able.  But R2 is also hip-fire.  So sometimes you'll just want to draw your weapon, but you actually fire off a shot because the environment was one that caused you to auto-draw.  These are bad design decisions flowing for trying to map too many actions onto a controller. 

Another complaint is getting caught committing crimes.  I'm riding along in the middle of nowhere, and another guy comes along on horseback.  Now, the only reasonable thing to do here is to murder him in cold blood and steal all of his stuff, which of course I do, and then I ride off.  After I'm gone, a witness discovers the body, but what do I care?  I've already left and the witness didn't see me do anything.  Doesn't matter -- somehow I pick up a bounty anyway.   This really limits your ability to play as a ####.  

Finally, because this is a Rockstar game it apparently has to have some terrible checkpointing.  Last night I did a mission that involved killing off a dozen or so gang members.  No problem.  Then I looted all the bodies.  While wandering around making sure I looted everyone, I wandered a little too far and failed the mission because I left the area.  No big deal, just restart the checkpoint and on we go.  But the checkpoint put me back at the beginning of the fight, so I had to kill everybody again.  Who checkpoints a mission that way? 

None of these even resemble game-breaking problems.  Just little blemishes on what seems like a really good title.  I'm not sure why Bethesda and Ubisoft can get these sorts of things right but Rockstar can't, but you kind of know to expect a little fidgetiness in Rockstar games.

On the plus side, I originally cringed when I saw the "cores" system, that you had to eat and sleep regularly, and that you could get cold or hot or gain or lose weight.  I normally hate those types of systems even in RPGs and especially in action-oriented games like this one.  But so far I've found that they actually work pretty well once you get going.  They give you a reason to loot, hunt, camp, and visit towns.  And they slow the game down, which fits the pacing that this game is going for.      

Everything about how this game handles inventory management and item use is weird.  Actions are goofy too.  For example, on PS4 you hold down triangle to hitch your horse.  But triangle also causes you to dismount.  So if the horse moves slightly while you're trying to hitch, you'll actually dismount and then need to remount to start over.  Also, when you're not in combat, you hit R2 to get out your gun, which makes it aim-able.  But R2 is also hip-fire.  So sometimes you'll just want to draw your weapon, but you actually fire off a shot because the environment was one that caused you to auto-draw.  These are bad design decisions flowing for trying to map too many actions onto a controller. 

Another complaint is getting caught committing crimes.  I'm riding along in the middle of nowhere, and another guy comes along on horseback.  Now, the only reasonable thing to do here is to murder him in cold blood and steal all of his stuff, which of course I do, and then I ride off.  After I'm gone, a witness discovers the body, but what do I care?  I've already left and the witness didn't see me do anything.  Doesn't matter -- somehow I pick up a bounty anyway.   This really limits your ability to play as a ####.  

Finally, because this is a Rockstar game it apparently has to have some terrible checkpointing.  Last night I did a mission that involved killing off a dozen or so gang members.  No problem.  Then I looted all the bodies.  While wandering around making sure I looted everyone, I wandered a little too far and failed the mission because I left the area.  No big deal, just restart the checkpoint and on we go.  But the checkpoint put me back at the beginning of the fight, so I had to kill everybody again.  Who checkpoints a mission that way? 

None of these even resemble game-breaking problems.  Just little blemishes on what seems like a really good title.  I'm not sure why Bethesda and Ubisoft can get these sorts of things right but Rockstar can't, but you kind of know to expect a little fidgetiness in Rockstar games.

On the plus side, I originally cringed when I saw the "cores" system, that you had to eat and sleep regularly, and that you could get cold or hot or gain or lose weight.  I normally hate those types of systems even in RPGs and especially in action-oriented games like this one.  But so far I've found that they actually work pretty well once you get going.  They give you a reason to loot, hunt, camp, and visit towns.  And they slow the game down, which fits the pacing that this game is going for.      
Solid observations, especially on the core stuff.

So having a bounty on you sucks. I reccomend using up almost all your money and just turning yourself in at the Sherriff. They take whatever $ you have but you keep everything else and spend a night sleeping in jail. 
I just pay it off at the post office if I have money.  I'm up to $300 though and have no cash

I agree with all of this - it's really clunky in terms of control, and I asked myself the same "how can ubisoft make it all work so seamlessly and Rockstar games still feel like a PS2 title?" I was tooling around in the last Assassin's Creed right before this, and it's almost like jumping back a generation or two in terms of control and button mapping. 

I read a review about the cores / eating / clothing / weapons degrading / horse stuff, and the conclusion was the same as yours - it somehow works ok here. The reviewer even said "why wouldn't I want to take care of my stuff and dress appropriately?" I find that it works fine too - not as annoying as I thought it would be.

As to the witness stuff, I wonder if that changes if you hide the body? Look at it this way - a lone stranger was seen riding into the mountains, now there's a dead body. "Yea, we just saw this armed stranger here yesterday - he looked like this, and went that way".  Maybe hiding the body keeps this from happening?

I'm at the point where it opens up, and I didn't mind the slow opening as much as some others, so I'm pretty juiced to press forward, despite the little annoyances we're discussing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys the game really opens up halfway into Camp 2. I'm on Chapter 5 right now. and the game really picks ups and gets interesting. A lot of shoot outs. Make sure you restock your ammo after the shootouts. I seem to use a heck of a lot and make sure to grab a long range "sniper" rifle or two. They come in handy for the longer range enemies.  

Yeah once you get past first chapter it's pretty good. Problem with first chapter is the whole damn thing is in snow, so it's like a one color game with everything white. Almost puts you in a trance.

Yeah I'm still unsure exactly how the core stuff works
The core is the inside of the icon.  There is also a bar on the outside of the icon.

As you take damage, the outside depletes first until it is gone.  Then the core will deplete until you finally die if it empties.

For Stamina and Health, the outside part recharges on its own when not used. But the rate it recharges is based on the core.  I don't know the exact rates, but say your core is 1/2 gone, then the outside bar probably recharges half as fast.  Various things will refill the core, including food/drink/medicine and various actions.  

The Dead Eye core is slightly different in that the outside doesn't replenish over time on its own.  You have to do actions (like shooting something) or taking tobacco/coffee to replenish it.

Also, go to your start menu and check the Player box every once in awhile and check your weight and temperature.  If underweight you need to eat more, overweight eat less.  Those will negatively affect your other stats.  Same with temperature there.

Tip for easy perfect pelts, at least from bigger animals.  Haven't tried it on anything small:

For deer, elk, etc, you can just ride up and rope them.  Dismount and reel them in/approach and you'll get a kill button for a knife kill.  It has given me perfect pelts if the animal was a pristine one to start with.   Even if they aren't pristine, it would maximize the value of the pelt since you're not shooting it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to say I had some good laughs watching my son play last night.  He was riding his horse and ran into a cliff face and did an awesome face plant into the rock.  Then he did it again a bit later into a tree.

Also, go to your start menu and check the Player box every once in awhile and check your weight and temperature.  If underweight you need to eat more, overweight eat less.  Those will negatively affect your other stats.  Same with temperature there.
I was cool with everything before but this is too in depth for a game. Like damn.

I was cool with everything before but this is too in depth for a game. Like damn.
This game feels too in depth for this just to be a slapped on extra. I think the point of it is to remind you to use items. Not just hoard them like so many people do in RPGs. Myself included.

Have to say I had some good laughs watching my son play last night.  He was riding his horse and ran into a cliff face and did an awesome face plant into the rock.  Then he did it again a bit later into a tree.
Yeah I did that in the first chapter while rescuing a certain someone It was embarrassing to say the least

The Cinematic Camera is brilliant. This game is simply jaw dropping. I am going to get lost in this game for well over a hundred hours.
I don't think I've gone to bed any earlier then 3:30 the last few days with this game. Was up too almost 5:30 release night with it, up till 4 and then 3-3:30  went to bed

Users who are viewing this thread