What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jim Taylor passes away at age 83 (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I'm watching NFL Network, and they just reported some sad news.  Hall of Fame running back Jim Taylor has just passed away at age 83.  He was an All-American as LSU in 1957 and ended up being the Packers No. 2 draft pick in 1958.  He was a 1,000-yard rusher for five straight years from 1960 through 1964.  He rushed for 8,597 yards, caught 225 passes, amassed 10,539 combined net yards and scored 558 points.  He led NFL rushers and scorers by scoring a then-record 19 rushing touchdowns in 1962.  He excelled in the 1962 NFL title game.  He was a ferocious runner, a rugged blocker and the prime disciple of the "Run to Daylight" doctrine.  He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1976.  He will be missed.  Does anyone have any fond memories of Jim Taylor that they'd like to share?

Pound for pound, possibly the most physical RB in NFL history.  He relished contact and more often dished out more than he took.  RIP Jimmy.  Thanks for the great memories.

Pound for pound, possibly the most physical RB in NFL history.  He relished contact and more often dished out more than he took.  RIP Jimmy.  Thanks for the great memories.
Well said...heard many stories from my family about Taylor as he was before my time.  One of my grandparents favorite to talk about.

I'm watching NFL Network, and they just reported some sad news.  Hall of Fame running back Jim Taylor has just passed away at age 83.  He was an All-American as LSU in 1957 and ended up being the Packers No. 2 draft pick in 1958.  He was a 1,000-yard rusher for five straight years from 1960 through 1964.  He rushed for 8,597 yards, caught 225 passes, amassed 10,539 combined net yards and scored 558 points.  He led NFL rushers and scorers by scoring a then-record 19 rushing touchdowns in 1962.  He excelled in the 1962 NFL title game.  He was a ferocious runner, a rugged blocker and the prime disciple of the "Run to Daylight" doctrine.  He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1976.  He will be missed.  Does anyone have any fond memories of Jim Taylor that they'd like to share?
Sure.

Shrine game.  Preseason so one of the games we boys would get to go to with our Dad. He would also take us to a regular season game, but mostly those tickets were for he and his buddies.  Our County Stadium seats were in the end zone, which, because of the configuration of the stadium were actually as close to mid field as were 50 yard line tickets.  There was a rowdy, drunken, cigar smoking crowd in our section and everybody more or less knew everybody. A foul mouthed drunk in front of us by the moniker "Whitey" dropped his fedora.  It went down under the bleachers.  I climbed down after it and brought it back up.  He asked if I wanted a pennant from the vendor or a Packer's autograph.  I choose the autograph though a bit suspicious he was talking out of his ###.

It turned out he had connections and he got me to the locker room door after the game.  I got Starr (Best wishes Bart Starr), Jim Taylor (All my best, Jim Taylor), Carrol Dale, and Tommy Jo Crutcher.  Taylor said I should strive to be a real player, a Full back, not a split end or a Q.B.  I was star struck.  I was devastated when he went to New Orleans even though I knew he was past his prime and had college connections there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He wasn't some pretty boy, like Hornung.  He got bloody and muddy for his yards.  I imitated his running style until I saw Jon Brockington, and then I went for his high knee action and forward lean.  Not wholly different, but a bit.

“I enjoyed football because of the competition, the combat, and the pain and the suffering.” 

Pretty much all you need to know about the man as a player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread