What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The migrant caravan (3 Viewers)

If you’re so worried about it, Stlrams, let’s give them a path to citizenship with the caveat that for the next 20 years they can’t accept public money for anything. None. Most of these people will take that deal in a heartbeat. Let them in, let them stay. The rest will take care of itself. 

Considered? If they are lucky enough to be born here they are citizens with as much rights to public services as you. Why not? 

And you still haven’t answered the essential question: why do these people bother you so much? 
My parents and their parents and their parents since 1635 have paid taxes over the years helping this country so I see a big difference between me and any illegals aliens.   

You don't have this information.. any numbers you give are based on assumptions.  Vague estimations, by definition of them being undocumented.
That’s not correct. Most of the studies use statistical sampling and can arrive at pretty consistent assumptions. 

That’s not correct. Most of the studies use statistical sampling and can arrive at pretty consistent assumptions. 
Please link then.. this would be fascinating.

How do you sample a population of undocumented workers? 

I am related to a recognized expert on the subject, and he has often lamented about not having solid data on these people.

Last edited by a moderator:
My parents and their parents and their parents since 1635 have paid taxes over the years helping this country so I see a big difference between me and any illegals aliens.   
You may see a big difference but there isn’t one. And what your parents and their parents did have nothing to do with you or whether or not you deserve to be here more than somebody who arrived yesterday, with or without papers. 

Do you think your ancestors who arrived in 1635 had proper papers? Were they approved by the local Native American government at the time? 

All of us who are born here are incredibly lucky. We didn’t cause that to happen. We didn’t earn our citizenship. None of us risked our lives to come here. We should treat these people like the heroes they are. Most of them have more guts and courage than any of us. 
How about taking care of our Veterans?  Since guts and courage are a main criteria.

I added this post quote from you:

My father would very seriously use this if it exists.
Your father is correct; we need to have much more information than we do. We probably will never get it until such time as we grant these people legal status. 

That being said, there are certain assumptions that we can make, and have. 

You may see a big difference but there isn’t one. And what your parents and their parents did have nothing to do with you or whether or not you deserve to be here more than somebody who arrived yesterday, with or without papers. 

Do you think your ancestors who arrived in 1635 had proper papers? Were they approved by the local Native American government at the time? 
So you are changing the argument here.  You said illegals are net positive to our economy which I counter. Now you are saying proper papers and 2,nd generation studies like sno nuff show they are net positive.  Stop moving the goal posts and just admit that illegals cost us money..  

Those are numbers for documented legal citizens... seems irrelevant to a debate on the impact of undocumented illegals.
Those and others I’ve posted before about 2nd generation immigrants and they don’t show between those where we parents were here legal or illegal.  It supports the exact point I made about 2nd generation immigrants.

So it’s extremely relevant to what I stated.

Those and others I’ve posted before about 2nd generation immigrants and they don’t show between those where we parents were here legal or illegal.  It supports the exact point I made about 2nd generation immigrants.

So it’s extremely relevant to what I stated.
Ah.. if that was the subject, my bad.

So this speaks to 2nd generation immigrants.  I asked about illegals immigrants as Tim indicates they are a net cost benefit so please provide link supporting..  
It speaks to what I actually stated rather than you trying to spin what o said to illegals.

I was clear in stating that because you questioned those born here to illegals that are citizens...psst, those are 2nd generation immigrants and are actual citizens.

So you are changing the argument here.  You said illegals are net positive to our economy which I counter. Now you are saying proper papers and 2,nd generation studies like sno nuff show they are net positive.  Stop moving the goal posts and just admit that illegals cost us money..  
I am simply responding to your posts. You brought up your relatives I didn’t. 

I don’t admit undocumented people (they are no more “illegal” than your ancestors, or mine) cost us net money, because that would be a false assertion. 

Your father is correct; we need to have much more information than we do. We probably will never get it until such time as we grant these people legal status. 

That being said, there are certain assumptions that we can make, and have. 
It seems very unlike you to dodge specifics.

Hope you can provide the studies you are referring to.

Considered? If they are lucky enough to be born here they are citizens with as much rights to public services as you. Why not? 

And you still haven’t answered the essential question: why do these people bother you so much? 
Again.  They don’t but your premise they are revenue positive is wrong.  

If you’re so worried about it, Stlrams, let’s give them a path to citizenship with the caveat that for the next 20 years they can’t accept public money for anything. None. Most of these people will take that deal in a heartbeat. Let them in, let them stay. The rest will take care of itself. 
I’m a fiscal conservative so I accept your offer provided they can’t vote for the same number of years.  Please keep in mind the democrats had ample opportunity to offer this and punted.   I’m fine with keeping illegals if no crimes..

All of us who are born here are incredibly lucky. We didn’t cause that to happen. We didn’t earn our citizenship. None of us risked our lives to come here. We should treat these people like the heroes they are. Most of them have more guts and courage than any of us. 
Who are you to judge me that illegal immigrants have more guts and courage then me?  

You initially made the argument so I’m just asking for a link to support that.  Do you have anything ?  
I have amd as has been said these links have been provided many times supporting these arguments.  None of this is new.

What do you have supporting your thoughts?

If they cost more than they pay or their share.. definitely a problem.  But I don't know how you can possibly claim any number as accurate.. aside from the duplicate SS#'s,  so many not filing at all, and an infinite number of different public services and systems (healthcare, schools, roads bridges, welfare and food stamps, law enforcement, fire departments).... seems a daunting task to quantify.

My argument is to bring them into the system so there isn't any doubt.
I'm pretty confident I have made no such claim.  I was using the number you set   :confused:

I told you in the post you quoted why I responded to what I thought you were saying :shrug:  

Depends on age for first generation. 0-24 is best. By second generation they’re generally a net benefit over both generations. 

https://www.cato.org/blog/fairs-fiscal-burden-illegal-immigration-study-fatally-flawed

I'm pretty confident I have made no such claim.  I was using the number you set   :confused:

I told you in the post you quoted why I responded to what I thought you were saying :shrug:  
Come on commish... that "you" was general.. anybody.

So based on your link even 1st generation of illegals are a negative impact- right? 
It depends on what you mean.  Some demographics likely are, though granting them amnesty would likely reverse that because enforcement is a big cost. 

But the next generation is one of the big impacts.  Which is really important.  And many if not most of the costs you’re talking about are for or because of those kids.  So taking those costs but not including the benefits is a strange accounting. 

I’m a fiscal conservative so I accept your offer provided they can’t vote for the same number of years.  Please keep in mind the democrats had ample opportunity to offer this and punted.   I’m fine with keeping illegals if no crimes..
You see? If it were just the two of us we can work things out.

Actually if I was in charge undocumented people would be given a path to legality but would NEVER be allowed to vote. Let their children vote. There should be some punishment, besides a fine, for the crime of coming here illegally. They should never be allowed full citizenship IMO. 

Please keep in mind the democrats had ample opportunity to offer this and punted.   
I don’t trust the Democrats at all on immigration issues. IMO they keep the issue alive because it helps them get Latino votes. But when in power they never do anything about it because they’re fearful of losing more blue collar whites. Hopefully this will change with more progressive and Latino politicians, but we’ll see. 

You mean like when House Democrats offered ten years no federal benefits whatsoever in exchange for a legal residency pathway for about 2/3 of current undocumented immigrants in 2013 as part of their comprehensive immigration reform bill?

Because you can’t vote until you’re a citizen.  And they wouldn’t even be regular permanent residents for ten years, much less citizens. 

Some may be...and?  Why not take the whole equation?
The first generation illegals are the burden.. maybe I am missing it again, but I don't believe there is any debate regarding legalized citizens.

They are documented, they pay into the system just like us.

12 billion a year in Social Security alone. Out of 848 billion total, or 1.4%, and never collected. 

It could be argued that undocumented immigrants are keeping Social Security solvent. 
Looking into this further and you may need to knock this down to $6 billion since the calculation apparently includes the employer contribution as well. That also comes from the roughly half of the undocumented (3.1 million) that pay income tax. There are still 3.9 million who don't, according to 2010 estimates. The estimate is also based on a $34,000 income.

I don’t trust the Democrats at all on immigration issues. IMO they keep the issue alive because it helps them get Latino votes. But when in power they never do anything about it because they’re fearful of losing more blue collar whites. Hopefully this will change with more progressive and Latino politicians, but we’ll see. 
And this is why I said above the easiest fix would be to enable resources to enforce what we have.  We have laws and policies in place that would be much more effective for all involved if the agencies and individuals carrying them out were provided the resources to do so. 

Despite all the grandstanding, both sides have had opportunities to put their political positions to the test.  Neither side actually wants the immigration issues solved imo.  Maybe this next generation will be willing to take it on.

And this is why I said above the easiest fix would be to enable resources to enforce what we have.  We have laws and policies in place that would be much more effective if the agencies and individuals carrying them out were provided the resources to do so. 

Despite all the grandstanding, both sides have had opportunities to put their political positions to the test.  Neither side actually wants the immigration issue solved imo.  Maybe this next generation will be willing to take it on.
My problem with your solution is that I don’t want to enforce what we have. I don’t want our current laws and policies to be effective. I think that would make things far worse. 

Eh let’s give our forbears the credit though, we have it because they earned it. And you would to if you were in their situation. Our people didn’t get here because there was some cushy corporate job awaiting them, they did earn their citizenship, and I don’t see anything wrong with saying that, or that current immigrants are doing the same and deserve the same chance.

Eh let’s give our forbears the credit though, we have it because they earned it. And you would to if you were in their situation. Our people didn’t get here because there was some cushy corporate job awaiting them, they did earn their citizenship, and I don’t see anything wrong with saying that, or that current immigrants are doing the same and deserve the same chance.
I give them all the credit in the world. They did earn their citizenship, absolutely. 

But we (most of us) are not them. We are enjoying the fruits of their efforts. 

The first generation illegals are the burden.. maybe I am missing it again, but I don't believe there is any debate regarding legalized citizens.

They are documented, they pay into the system just like us.
The first can be debated...the second generation being actually better off (on avarrage) than the all US as a whole would mean to get them...yiu deal woth the possibility that their parents cost us a little.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/02/07/second-generation-americans/

Looking into this further and you may need to knock this down to $6 billion since the calculation apparently includes the employer contribution as well. That also comes from the roughly half of the undocumented (3.1 million) that pay income tax. There are still 3.9 million who don't, according to 2010 estimates. The estimate is also based on a $34,000 income.
Why wouldn't you include the employer contribution to social security?  We include it in calculating benefits to citizens.

My problem with your solution is that I don’t want to enforce what we have. I don’t want our current laws and policies to be effective. I think that would make things far worse. 
It can't just be a free for all.  We don't live in a free for all.  We follow laws, even the ones we don't agree with.  We are all registered and ID'd in order to make every system more efficient (not just the laws).  We rely on our documents to take advantage of what this country offers, and to pay into it.

More undocumented people doesn't help.  An orderly and lawful process would.

If the first step to getting there is actually enforcing what we have, I think that is reasonable. :shrug:

The first can be debated...the second generation being actually better off (on avarrage) than the all US as a whole would mean to get them...yiu deal woth the possibility that their parents cost us a little.

That's one of the big issues here, thinking long-term versus short-term fiscal responsibility.  I don't particularly care if gas goes up $0.05 next week, but I'd like Social Security to be 100% solvent and paying full benefits in fifty years.

When you have to  bring legal citizens into your argument for illegals, by definition it seems you are forfeiting the illegal portion of the conversation?

And unless I missed it, nobody is debating legal citizens and their contributions here?

It can't just be a free for all.  We don't live in a free for all.  We follow laws, even the ones we don't agree with.  We are all registered and ID'd in order to make every system more efficient (not just the laws).  We rely on our documents to take advantage of what this country offers, and to pay into it.

More undocumented people doesn't help.  An orderly and lawful process would.

If the first step to getting there is actually enforcing what we have, I think that is reasonable. :shrug:
Not all of them, we don't. No one does.  

Users who are viewing this thread