What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The migrant caravan (2 Viewers)

So what? Who deserves it more than them? 

You may see a big difference but there isn’t one. And what your parents and their parents did have nothing to do with you or whether or not you deserve to be here more than somebody who arrived yesterday, with or without papers. 

Do you think your ancestors who arrived in 1635 had proper papers? Were they approved by the local Native American government at the time? 
And how many people on this forum have family from 1635?  Very few I would imagine.  

Did I sit at the wrong lunch table?  My bad. Anyways Tim, I like reading your content. I just feel like you are so dug in that you do yourself and the conversations disservice. If John McCain would have just once said “ this is a war not worth fighting” I would have given him more credit.

Question for everyone, could a compromise be made here?  Funding for the wall and some form of amnesty for illegals?  Solves 3 problems and everyone can say we won.

Question for everyone, could a compromise be made here?  Funding for the wall and some form of amnesty for illegals?  Solves 3 problems and everyone can say we won.
Democrats already tried that some time ago, offered Trump the money he wanted for the wall for the wall and asked for amnesty for the DACA kids in return, and Trump turned them down flat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Democrats already tried that some time ago, offered Trump the money he wanted for the wall for the wall and asked for amnesty for the DACA kids in return, and Trump turned them down flat.
That offer wasn’t supported by majority of dems in the senate so not sure what you are referencing above.  

“Why did the walrus cross the street?”

”I don’t know, why?”

”Because that’s where the dry cleaners was and he had to pick up his clothes before they closed.   Hahahahahaha.”

No...he had his chance at compromise last year and he pissed on it. Why should the left compromise now as they are about to gain more leverage with the incoming congress.

He can take his useless money out of a wall and shove it.

No...he had his chance at compromise last year and he pissed on it. Why should the left compromise now as they are about to gain more leverage with the incoming congress.

He can take his useless money out of a wall and shove it.
Functional govt does work like that and you know it.  From what I found, the dems in senate wouldn’t support such compromise.  

That offer wasn’t supported by majority of dems in the senate so not sure what you are referencing above.  
:coffee:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-trump-isnt-taking-democrats-offer-for-a-wall/

Why Trump Isn’t Taking Democrats’ Offer For A Wall

[...]

But Trump could have gotten the wall funding in a bill that also would have put an estimated 1.8 million undocumented immigrants on a path to citizenship (basically enshrining President Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program into federal law and going further — DACA does not include a citizenship route). Instead, the White House aggressively opposed that legislation, a move that made it politically more difficult for Republican senators to back it. So that bill failed, too, getting only eight Republican votes.

Functional govt does work like that and you know it.  From what I found, the dems in senate wouldn’t support such compromise.  
We have been over this...and the government is not functional.  It’s up to Trump to make this deal now not the Democrats.  They had an agreement that he flaked in...as he has with others.

A functional government requires the top of that government to be functional.  Trump has shown he may not be capable of that.

We have been over this...and the government is not functional.  It’s up to Trump to make this deal now not the Democrats.  They had an agreement that he flaked in...as he has with others.

A functional government requires the top of that government to be functional.  Trump has shown he may not be capable of that.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-trump-isnt-taking-democrats-offer-for-a-wall/ not according to this.  It appears the dems flake.  Sorry to bore you.

:coffee:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-trump-isnt-taking-democrats-offer-for-a-wall/

Why Trump Isn’t Taking Democrats’ Offer For A Wall

[...]

But Trump could have gotten the wall funding in a bill that also would have put an estimated 1.8 million undocumented immigrants on a path to citizenship (basically enshrining President Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program into federal law and going further — DACA does not include a citizenship route). Instead, the White House aggressively opposed that legislation, a move that made it politically more difficult for Republican senators to back it. So that bill failed, too, getting only eight Republican votes.
This says there wasn’t any support in the senate primarily from the dems.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-trump-isnt-taking-democrats-offer-for-a-wall/ not according to this.  It appears the dems flake.  Sorry to bore you.
Did you read your own link?  Republicans flaked in DACA.

“But Trump could have gotten the wall funding in a bill that also would have put an estimated 1.8 million undocumented immigrants on a path to citizenship (basically enshrining President Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program into federal law and going further — DACA does not include a citizenship route). Instead, the White House aggressively opposed that legislation, a move that made it politically more difficult for Republican senators to back it. So that bill failed, too, getting only eight Republican votes.”

The first bill put limits on legal immigration.  That is what Democrats and some Republicans opposed.  The second discussed was about DACA and failed because of Republicans.  And then there is what Schumer took to him...that he backed out of after the meeting (well, he had someone else back out for him).

Your link just backed up what I’ve been saying. 

In addition we we have the recent issues where the Semate passed a clean CR with no wall 100-0.  One it appeared would pass the House until Trump freaked out and then the house wouldn’t even bring it up.  Trumps version barely even had support to go to a vote in the house.

You made a claim...back it up...or were you just trolling?
This forum would be better off if this wasn't y'all's primary strategy to chase off those who disagree with you.

It almost seems like a reflex for about a dozen of you regulars here.

This forum would be better off if this wasn't y'all's primary strategy to chase off those who disagree with you.

It almost seems like a reflex for about a dozen of you regulars here.
He (Brady) made a claim...when asked to support that claim he responded with “hook line and sinker “.

So tell me if he was seriously discussing anything or what I claimed he may be doing?

That isn’t about chasing anyone off...it’s about people supporting claims they make.  The board would be better off without posts like this from you, the response from Cowboy, and the hook line and sinker comment from bradyfan rather than worrying so much that sho nuff was one who questioned it.

Or, even better, worry less about those taking issue with questionable or bogus posting and more about the bogus posting in the first place.

The 8 year old Guatemalan boy who died on Christmas apparently had the flu.  

Neither border patrol nor the hospital administered a flu test.  

He (Brady) made a claim...when asked to support that claim he responded with “hook line and sinker “.

So tell me if he was seriously discussing anything or what I claimed he may be doing?

Or, even better, worry less about those taking issue with questionable or bogus posting and more about the bogus posting in the first place.
I didn't even read the back and forth.. I just recognized the response, which is guilty of all the things you are accusing as well.

I didn't even read the back and forth.. I just recognized the response, which is guilty of all the things you are accusing as well.
So you again chimed in without reading what you are even talking about and further muck up the thread.  Yeah...crap like that is what is wrong with this board...not people asking someone to back up thwor claims and questioning a reply like “hook line and sinker”.

That article is from February. Things have changed quite a bit since then. Trump negotiated backwards and got himself into a corner.

More importantly there was an election, Dems trounced Republicans. It's not their job to get a wall built for Trump.
It’s also showed that what the dems “flaked” on was limits to legal immigration.  The actual talk and deal with DACA was killed by republicans.

So you again chimed in without reading what you are even talking about and further muck up the thread.  Yeah...crap like that is what is wrong with this board...not people asking someone to back up thwor claims and questioning a reply like “hook line and sinker”.
Just sayin'.. maybe a new trick is in order?

Did I sit at the wrong lunch table?  My bad. Anyways Tim, I like reading your content. I just feel like you are so dug in that you do yourself and the conversations disservice. If John McCain would have just once said “ this is a war not worth fighting” I would have given him more credit.
Sorry I didn’t read your posts until now. 

On this issue I am dug in because I see it as right vs wrong. I see few issues that way. There are many wars not worth fighting. This is a war worth fighting (in rhetorical terms only.) 

No. And not because he had his chance last year. It was a bad deal last year and I would have opposed it then. 

A wall on our southern border would be terrible for us economically, socially, and otherwise. You want border security? Fine. I don’t think it’s that important but whatever. You want 5 billion; let’s make it 10 billion, in exchange for DACA.

But no wall. 

If a study or statement by long term border patrol supervisors or some entity who is clearly not just a puppet of the administration stated that additional sections or fortifications of existing fence were needed, that should be on the table for that discussion.

“The Wall” should not.  It’s too much of a long term detriment in addition to the cost. 

If a study or statement by long term border patrol supervisors or some entity who is clearly not just a puppet of the administration stated that additional sections or fortifications of existing fence were needed, that should be on the table for that discussion.

“The Wall” should not.  It’s too much of a long term detriment in addition to the cost. 
This problem is such a pain in the ### to debate because the goalposts move pending certain assumptions.. needed for what?  What is the goal of a wall/fence/barrier/thing?

To control immigration? OK a wall/fence/barrier thing can help.

Are you worried about drugs, gangs, and terrorism? Prob not going to make a difference.  These tend to have resources to make these obstacles obsolete.

There are real world case studies to demonstrate both.

eta - case studies, not sure about actual, real studies per say.  In real life both statements play out anectdotally time after time.

On this issue I am dug in because I see it as right vs wrong. I see few issues that way. There are many wars not worth fighting. This is a war worth fighting (in rhetorical terms only.) 
Idealism doesn't always work out versus reality and practicality.

This problem is such a pain in the ### to debate because the goalposts move pending certain assumptions.. needed for what?  What is the goal of a wall/fence/barrier/thing?

To control immigration? OK a wall/fence/barrier thing can help.

Are you worried about drugs, gangs, and terrorism? Prob not going to make a difference.  These tend to have resources to make these obstacles obsolete.

There are real world case studies to demonstrate both.

eta - case studies, not sure about actual, real studies per say.  In real life both statements play out anectdotally time after time.
This is just a way to say it's a dumb idea.

Fight On. I just chimed in to bring to your attention that not every European American descends from colonial land and people owning priveledge, and not all Latinos are hardworking. You already knew this of course. You don’t need a study or spreadsheet to know certain things. You are fine debating, but how about a conversation? The object of a debate is to win or lose. The object of a conversation is to entertain,educate,explore, or simply pass time. For the sake of conversation, I feel like this country is like a family that has more children than they can handle. It would be irresponsible to have more.

Fight On. I just chimed in to bring to your attention that not every European American descends from colonial land and people owning priveledge, and not all Latinos are hardworking. You already knew this of course. You don’t need a study or spreadsheet to know certain things. You are fine debating, but how about a conversation? The object of a debate is to win or lose. The object of a conversation is to entertain,educate,explore, or simply pass time. For the sake of conversation, I feel like this country is like a family that has more children than they can handle. It would be irresponsible to have more.
First off, no USC references, tia. 

My post about 1635 was a specific response to the guy who bragged about his ancestors who came here then. He certainly should be proud about that, and his heritage, but not as a means of comparison to others who came later or those who haven’t arrived yet. I enjoy conversations and I am open to them, including this issue, even though I feel strongly. As to your main point: we have plenty of room for more children. We’re not even close to full yet. 

First off, no USC references, tia. 

My post about 1635 was a specific response to the guy who bragged about his ancestors who came here then. He certainly should be proud about that, and his heritage, but not as a means of comparison to others who came later or those who haven’t arrived yet. I enjoy conversations and I am open to them, including this issue, even though I feel strongly. As to your main point: we have plenty of room for more children. We’re not even close to full yet. 
Sure, the house is huge, but where are the parents? Ducks fan here. I did not know I was being so offensive. My apologies.

My parents and their parents and their parents since 1635 have paid taxes over the years helping this country so I see a big difference between me and any illegals aliens.   
All sides of your family got here in 1635? No one on either side arrived here more recently? That’s very, very unusual.

Sure, the house is huge, but where are the parents? Ducks fan here. I did not know I was being so offensive. My apologies.
I’m a Bruins fan so no worries. 

The parents are on vacation. Right now there is a mean stepchild  in charge. Hopefully the parents will be back soon. 

Unusual indeed over that many centuries, but not impossible. All sides of my family settled in North Dakota in the 1880s, although from different countries, Norway, Germany and Wales.
Everyone has family from 1635. I’m surprised no one took me to task for that! How many were already Americans was my point. My guess is that my heritage is tied to the potato famine and industrial revolution. I only know of one side as far back as westward expansion. I’m excited about my ancestry dna gift I received.

Users who are viewing this thread