What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why does the Deep South dominate college football? (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Here are the National Championship matchups for the last 10 years: 

2019: Alabama vs Clemson

2018: Alabama vs Georgia

2017:  Alabama vs Clemson

2016: Alabama vs Clemson

2015: Oregon vs Ohio State

2014: Florida St vs Auburn

2013: Alabama vs Notre Dame

2012: Alabama vs LSU

2011: Auburn vs Oregon

2010: Alabama vs Texas

20 teams, 15 of them from the Deep South. That’s 75%. I’m not including Texas; otherwise it would go up to 80%. 

Even putting  aside the incredible dominance of one team from Tuscaloosa, the south is pretty much in control of college football at this point. So why is this? 

You ever been to the South? Football and the Bible are the two biggest things south of the Mason-Dixon line.

ETA: I met a man from Alabama sometime back working gas pipelines here in PA. His family was up here for a while but moved back so his sons could play youth football. He was telling about all the youth football programs, travel teams, etc. It's an institution down there.

Last edited by a moderator:

2015: Oregon vs Ohio State

20 teams, 15 of them from the Deep South. That’s 75%. I’m not including Texas; otherwise it would go up to 80%. 

Even putting  aside the incredible dominance of one team from Tuscaloosa, the south is pretty much in control of college football at this point. So why is this? 
To the surprise of nobody, prob the worst game out of the bunch.

The Texas 5A State championship out-drew 64% of all bowls played this year.  Warrants mentioning.   

Do you ask the same question why North America is under-represented in the FIFA World Cup?  

Regional interests matter.  It shapes what they do and what they play, and for how long.  People want to stay close to home for college so their family can see them play.

Jesse Owens*** was from Alabama, Bob Hayes from Florida, Tyreek Hill from Georgia, Bo Jackson Alabama, Herschel Walker Georgia, Marcus Dupree Mississippi and it goes on and on and on....speed.  The SEC is totally loaded with great sprinters, there are schools there that can beat most countries in the 4x1relay. TONS...of speed.

Now add that speed/size combo, big and fast, so many big fast athletes in that region of the country, and who gets most of them, yep....Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, LSU, Florida.

Tonight watch those D lines, we don't see that anywhere else like we will tonight and they just keep coming, waves of big fast athetes. And that will be mentioned sometime tonight, the speed of the big guys.

The Big10 has been around since day one, they have never produced a sub10.00 sprinter, never.  The SEC a couple dozen, it's that dramatic a difference.

Speed with size is why the south rules,  that and the most passionate fans the sport has,.

*** Eulace Peacock owned Jesse in the100m, but because of injury no Olympics, he was also from Alabama.

High school football is huge and for many of the SEC and ACC schools the nearby NFL teams are secondary, they (NFL teams) don’t have a long history of success. If there is a NFL team nearby

Schools and camps are set up like professional deals. There are practices and camps year-round. Better coaches come here because winning makes better future career opportunities. Players can train year round. I dunno in a lot of ways it’s pretty simple. 

Jesse Owens*** was from Alabama, Bob Hayes from Florida, Tyreek Hill from Georgia, Bo Jackson Alabama, Herschel Walker Georgia, Marcus Dupree Mississippi and it goes on and on ad on....speed.  The SEC is totally loaded with great sprinters, there are schools there that can beat most countries in the 4x1relay. TONS...of speed.

Now add that speed/size combo, big and fast, so many big fast athletes in that region of the country, and who gets most of them, yep....Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, LSU, Florida.

Tonight watch those D lines, we don't see that anywhere else like we will tonight and they just keep coming, waves of big fast athetes.

The Big10 has been around since day one, they have never produced a sub10.00 sprinter, never.  The SEC a couple dozen, it's that dramatic a difference.

Speed with size is why the south rules,  that and the most passionate fans the sport fast.

*** Eulace Peacock owned Jessei n the100m, but because of injury no Olympics, he was also from Alabama.
We have as many great athletes from southern California.  At least, in terms of the NFL.

And I note you're making an argument that goes back up to 80 years. But my point is about specific schools in the last 10 years. If you go back further than that, you find National Champion level schools from all over the place:  USC, Ohio State, Penn State, etc.  Arguably the two most dominant modern college football programs ever are Michigan and Notre Dame.

No question the south has always produced great football.  But its only in the last decade that it has been THIS dominant. 

High school football is huge and for many of the SEC and ACC schools the nearby NFL teams are secondary, they (NFL teams) don’t have a long history of success. If there is NFL team nearby
Southern California has also produced the two top high school programs of the last 5 years, Mater Dei and St John Bosco (with all apologies to IMG Academy.)

But...some of those players go to Alabama and other southern schools. They're out recruiting our local schools.

We have as many great athletes from southern California.  At least, in terms of the NFL.

And I note you're making an argument that goes back up to 80 years. But my point is about specific schools in the last 10 years. If you go back further than that, you find National Champion level schools from all over the place:  USC, Ohio State, Penn State, etc.  Arguably the two most dominant modern college football programs ever are Michigan and Notre Dame.

No question the south has always produced great football.  But its only in the last decade that it has been THIS dominant. 
The old schools were great because they were on tv. Now every team is on tv, so that doesn’t matter anymore. They want to go pro, they go to schools where players get drafted. I read that there’s something like 23 players tonight that will get drafted this year. 

Michigan and Notre Dame are ancient history. Those days are long gone and aren’t ever coming back. Schools like FSU and Florida and Clemson weren’t set up for success back then like they are now. Ohio State recently has gone into the south for a ton of their players  

The State of Florida alone has won 11 titles back to 1983 and probably played for a half dozen other. It hasn’t just been the last decade at all. 

CFB has become an arms race. With more success these schools have made exponentially more money which they roll into facilities that recruits want. Kind of a snowball affect. 

Hence why they pay more as GM says
It’s way more than just that. Someone that’s an Oregon fan making that statement is kind of funny. Something tells me Phil Knight is willing to spend anything, yet they’re still far away from sustained success. 

Also,  we don't pay kids with first names like Brady, Shane, Jake, Jacob, Calvin, or George.
Tyroil Smoochie-Wallace/Miami U

Goolius Boozler/Miami U

Cosgrove Shumway/Clemson

Cartoons Plural/Virginia Tech

Bismo Funyuns/Florida State

Decatholac Mango / Georgia Tech University

Elipses Corter / Alabama

Nyquillus Dillwad / LSU

D'Pez Poopsie / Ole Miss

Quackadilly Blip / Auburn University

Fartrell Cluggins / Arkansas University

Creme De La Creme/ Vanderbilt University

Strunk Flugget/ University of South Carolina

D'marcus Williams/ Georgia

Saggitarriut Jefferspin/ Texas AM

(The player formerly known as mousecop)/ Missouri

J'Dinklage Morgoon/ South Florida

Leoz Maxwell Jilliumz/ East Carolina

Marmadune Shazbot/ Tulane University

2015: Oregon vs THE Ohio State University

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!! 

I have absolutely nothing more to add other than that. . . not sorry.

The Texas 5A State championship out-drew 64% of all bowls played this year.  Warrants mentioning.   

Do you ask the same question why North America is under-represented in the FIFA World Cup?  

Regional interests matter.  It shapes what they do and what they play, and for how long.  People want to stay close to home for college so their family can see them play.
Last year my daughter wanted to see two local rivals play in a regular season conference game (neither were her school). I picked her up from school drove over to the school were the game was going to be played, got there about 4:00 to buy tickets.

There were adults in the parking lot tailgating at 4 for a game that didn’t start until 7:30. When we came back to watch the game I had to park about 2 miles away from the school.

I live in Cali and can tell you we don't compare to the south when it comes to big fast athletes.

Look at all those great HBCUers like Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Shannon Sharpe, Willie Brown, Buck Buchanon, Aeneaus Williams, Deacon Jones, Willie Davis, Bob Hayes, Leroy Kelly all in the HOF.

So much speed in Florida it's ridiculous.

Too many big fast athletes at southern schools, just that simple.

Southern California has also produced the two top high school programs of the last 5 years, Mater Dei and St John Bosco (with all apologies to IMG Academy.)

But...some of those players go to Alabama and other southern schools. They're out recruiting our local schools.
Well getting out recruited has a lot to do with what @General Malaise posted, they are paying more.   

Nearly everyone down here takes pride in their school they went to - and its a big battle for bragging rights. With that everyone will do whatever it takes to make sure their school comes out on top of whatever rivalry they have - WHATEVER IT TAKES. So everyone looks the other way when bags of money get passed, cars show up, maybe a job on campus or nearby for the parents, everyone is all for paying a coach 8,9,10M per year - WHATEVER IT TAKES - no questions asked. A professor at the school - ha - you get table scraps. They will contribute millions annually to build facilities. The better they are the better your players. WHATEVER IT TAKES. No one questions spending money on the facilities. It's done at the sacrifice of any and all other parts of education in the states. Why would a whole family up and move from Hawaii to Alabaster, AL ? WHATEVER IT TAKES.

And this trickles down to high school - WHATEVER IT TAKES. Take a look at facilities at Hoover or Saraland or Auburn High School in AL. In GA to Warner Robins or Colquitt County or Lee County or Cartersville - OMG Cartersville what a setup they have. They recruit kids and bring them into the city and get parents jobs. How do you think Trevor Lawerence got there. WHATEVER IT TAKES.

And even Jim Harbaugh is trying to get in on the action down here. 

It is a whole different animal down here.

Alabama's long-snapper from 2013-2016 was a kid from right down the street.  I always thought that was kind of weird.

It’s way more than just that. Someone that’s an Oregon fan making that statement is kind of funny. Something tells me Phil Knight is willing to spend anything, yet they’re still far away from sustained success. 
Oh, ok.  Oregon is like 9th or something in terms of w/l over the last 10 years and made the national championship game twice so #### with your 'still far away from sustained success' nonsense.  Doesn't help that the state of Oregon and the PAC NW in general isn't nearly the fertile recruiting grounds of the deep south or wherever it is you live.  

But let's just go back to Phil Knight, the 82 year old founder of Nike.  There is exactly ONE of him.  You think Phil is just walking around, handing out bags of money to people all over the country to come and play at Oregon?  I absolutely believe Oregon pays players, just like Clemson does but I have no doubt that it is WAY harder to do that up here than out there because of 1)  lack of backyard talent and 2) the amount of bagmen willing to play players to come to their school dwarfs the bagmen up here.  Yeah, Oregon has Phil Knight.  Clemson has 78 Chevy and Ford dealers willing to give out free cars, $100 handshakes and 'summer jobs' to local kids who want to stay close to home and play in front of mom 'n' 'em.  Bubba, Cletus, Dale, Kenny, Skeeter and Hank are all over the Carolinas with sacks of money coaxing 300 pound lineman to play for Dabo.  Doesn't work that way out here.  

God, now I hope Alabama beats Clemson by 45 tonight.

Oh, ok.  Oregon is like 9th or something in terms of w/l over the last 10 years and made the national championship game twice so #### with your 'still far away from sustained success' nonsense.  Doesn't help that the state of Oregon and the PAC NW in general isn't nearly the fertile recruiting grounds of the deep south or wherever it is you live.  

But let's just go back to Phil Knight, the 82 year old founder of Nike.  There is exactly ONE of him.  You think Phil is just walking around, handing out bags of money to people all over the country to come and play at Oregon?  I absolutely believe Oregon pays players, just like Clemson does but I have no doubt that it is WAY harder to that up here than out there because of 1)  lack of backyard talent and 2) the amount of bagmen willing to play players to come to their school dwarfs the bagmen up here.  Yeah, Oregon has Phil Knight.  Clemson has 78 Chevy and Ford dealers willing to give out free cars, $100 handshakes and 'summer jobs' to local kids who want to stay close to home and play in front of mom 'n' 'em.  Bubba, Cletus, Dale, Kenny, Skeeter and Hank are all over the Carolinas with sacks of money coaxing 300 pound lineman to play for Dabo.  Doesn't work that way out here.  

I don't know about paying players, but its absolutely true that Phil Knight has changed Oregon for the best. I wish UCLA had a Phil Knight. Maybe Chip Kelly can bring us some of that Oregon magic...

But let's just go back to Phil Knight, the 82 year old founder of Nike.  There is exactly ONE of him.  You think Phil is just walking around, handing out bags of money to people all over the country to come and play at Oregon?  I absolutely believe Oregon pays players, just like Clemson does but I have no doubt that it is WAY harder to that up here than out there because of 1)  lack of backyard talent and 2) the amount of bagmen willing to play players to come to their school dwarfs the bagmen up here.  Yeah, Oregon has Phil Knight.  Clemson has 78 Chevy and Ford dealers willing to give out free cars, $100 handshakes and 'summer jobs' to local kids who want to stay close to home and play in front of mom 'n' 'em.  Bubba, Cletus, Dale, Kenny, Skeeter and Hank are all over the Carolinas with sacks of money coaxing 300 pound lineman to play for Dabo.  Doesn't work that way out here.  

I apparently hit the right nerve.  Yikes. 

The biggest growing Cities are in the South.  Industry is moving South. I found a recent article about Dana Holgorsen moving to UH from WVU interesting.  The writer alleged that he would have more recruiting prospects in the City of Houston than he had in the entire State of WVU.  And they would be more talented than his WVU recruits, AND they wouldn't have many other options. Basically, the cast-offs in a big Southern City are more talented recruits than the top tier in an entire Northern State.

Also I’m glad this popped up since there’s not like an entire thread to devoted to college football. 

The biggest growing Cities are in the South.  Industry is moving South. I found a recent article about Dana Holgorsen moving to UH from WVU interesting.  The writer alleged that he would have more recruiting prospects in the City of Houston than he had in the entire State of WVU.  And they would be more talented than his WVU recruits, AND they wouldn't have many other options. Basically, the cast-offs in a big Southern City are more talented recruits than the top tier in an entire Northern State.
There is an interesting point to be made here about how a lot of the migration to the south is coming as cities in the midwest, particularly Rust Belt, tend to shrink.

Tyroil Smoochie-Wallace/Miami U

Goolius Boozler/Miami U

Cosgrove Shumway/Clemson

Cartoons Plural/Virginia Tech

Bismo Funyuns/Florida State

Decatholac Mango / Georgia Tech University

Elipses Corter / Alabama

Nyquillus Dillwad / LSU

D'Pez Poopsie / Ole Miss

Quackadilly Blip / Auburn University

Fartrell Cluggins / Arkansas University

Creme De La Creme/ Vanderbilt University

Strunk Flugget/ University of South Carolina

D'marcus Williams/ Georgia

Saggitarriut Jefferspin/ Texas AM

(The player formerly known as mousecop)/ Missouri

J'Dinklage Morgoon/ South Florida

Leoz Maxwell Jilliumz/ East Carolina

Marmadune Shazbot/ Tulane University
No Dan Smith from BYU?

• Better talent in the deep south and most kids play close to home. 
  • It's prioritized over just about everything, including academics
  • They have large alumni bases who are willing to give lots of money
  • Tradition
  • Weather
  • Hotter women

Bottom line.

Cleotis Clay is a 6-5 340 pound DE and can runs a 4.67 40

Notre Dame....we need to see your.....

Alabama....sign right here,

The NFL has also blossomed into a big business in the emergence of southern football too. Players today make so much more money relative to historical peers that it's ridiculous to consider even comparing them.

That tells me every 5* kid not only thinks of winning in college, but making this as career. If I have that mindset, I also want the easiest and best path to get there. That said, it's only been in the past few seasons since ND dropped from also having the most NFL players.

I don't think it's all kids, but hell if you told me I could work less hard, be surrounded by great weather and beautiful women, and get an NFL-quality level of coaching my 18 year old brain would sign there too.

So how does that really work, a kid is guaranteed a certain amount of coin?  What if he gets beat out?  Who gets paid and who doesn't?  So no fear of some kid getting drunk and ratting everyone out?  Kid gets benched does he lose his money?

Break it down for me.

So how does that really work, a kid is guaranteed a certain amount of coin?  What if he gets beat out?  Who gets paid and who doesn't?  So no fear of some kid getting drunk and ratting everyone out?  Kid gets benched does he lose his money?

Break it down for me.
Schools have multiple bag men. They literally drop envelopes of cash off to the aunts or uncles or whatever and it filters down. Better kids get bigger bags. Some players you give bags to don’t go to your school. That’s ok. Others will. Kids talk too. So you don’t get one kid but he speaks you up to another and puts you on there. 

Great read: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

All this talk about how it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$, yet nobody can actualy break it down on how it actually works. All these years and no kid ever blew the whistle on Alabama?  I find that hard to believe.

Saban with no fear of being busted, really?

So how does it realy work, well?

nobody has mentioned the weather??

from November - April up here it's wall to wall snow. can't really train outdoors, play pick up sports outside or as easily stay in shape. got to find other hobbies to take up time when it's -10 with 3 feet of snow on the ground. track season is in the spring and can be absolutely ####### miserable. football is August - November and then has to shut down. basketball has to be played indoors from November - May or even June because of the cold, wind and rain.

in the southern and western states you can play travel baseball, soccer, etc. year-round.

here you can lift weights & eat year round otherwise you find other things to do.  might be why Wisconsin cranks out 350 lb linemen like the south produces speed,

Users who are viewing this thread