What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Big 4 Sports Movie? (1 Viewer)

Best Hockey Movie

• Goon (2011)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • The Mighty Ducks (1992)

Votes: 22 10.7%
  • Miracle (2004)

Votes: 46 22.4%
  • Mystery Alaska (1999)

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • The Rocket (2005)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slap Shot (1977)

Votes: 117 57.1%
  • Youngblood (1986)

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • OTHER

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
North Dallas Forty - Actually gives a more realistic view of modern football than any other film to date.

Bull Durham - Not a story book ending or a tale of wonder. Just a guy going to work every day who's job happens to be baseball. 

White Man Can't Jump - Hoosiers will run away with this but this is Woody Harrelson's best performance. I'll come back to this one way more than Hoosiers.

Goon - The correct answer is Miracle but I just love the minor league, every day sports stuff. I had no idea what to expect from a film with Stiffler and a title like that. It was actually a really good movie about the life of a hockey enforcer and the toll it takes on their lives. One of my favorite hockey films.

How about just sports or sports related?

Night and the City....pro wrestling   Richard Widmark

Requiem for a Heavyweight....boxing  Anthony Quinn

Jim Thorpe All American.....based on the great indian athlete  Burt Lancaster

The Harder They Fall.....boxing  Humphrey Bogart

Still waiting for Hollywood to do ...The Tom Molineaux Story.  As a plantation fighting slave he won so much $$$$ for his owner he was granted his freedom. 

He ended up in Europe fighting for the world championship.

Last edited by a moderator:
For football: Jerry Maguire
I don't know about that one. I mean, Jerry is an agent and there's obviously football in it. But I wouldn't think we'd call it a football movie. Might need a ruling...

Is "The Last Boy Scout" a football movie?

I don't know about that one. I mean, Jerry is an agent and there's obviously football in it. But I wouldn't think we'd call it a football movie. Might need a ruling...

I wouldn't say it is the greatest, but I'd allow it as a "football movie".  Football was an integral part of the story.   I never saw The Last Boy Scout, so I won't comment on that. 

I wouldn't say it is the greatest, but I'd allow it as a "football movie".  Football was an integral part of the story.   I never saw The Last Boy Scout, so I won't comment on that. 
Fair enough. I liked it. I just am not sure how many people would answer "football" if the question was "What is Jerry Maguire about?". Close enough, though, I suppose.

Based on the votes, I am thinking that a lot of people here never saw the original The Longest Yard and unfortunately are thinking of that crappy Adam Sandler mess.

If I left something off they you just have to vote for, write it in.  And I'm sorry.
Great list - I am a huge baseball guy and all of those are quality movies.  Chose The Natural - but could just as easily picked any of several others on your list.  

Others that are great movies that could have been included -

Cobb (my favorite NOT on your list)

Pride of the Yankees (nostalgic)

Bang the Drum Slowly (got great reviews - I never really loved it)

also Moneyball was great and based around baseball.

That's why Jerry Maguire is the greatest film ever made, it's got everything!!!

Based on the votes, I am thinking that a lot of people here never saw the original The Longest Yard and unfortunately are thinking of that crappy Adam Sandler mess.
I admit I haven't seen the original.  I hated the Adam Sandler one.

I've only seen the original. It's not better than North Dallas Forty.

Hoosiers not even in the top 20 is criminal.
The whole damn list is terrible
To be fair to the list maker, I went back and read this:

But for some reason, many sports movies insist on being predictable, adhering to the formula.  Those are not the sort of sports movies you will find on our list of the 50 best sports movies of all time. The best sports surprise us: These great sports movies do the same.
So, they should have titled it "Greatest Non-Cliched Sports Movies"?

Football - Remember The Titans and that was easy.

Baseball - The Natural and that was so so difficult. So many fantastic baseball movies.

Basketball - Hoosiers and that was very easy.

Hockey - Slap Shot and the only other two I consider awesome are Mystery Alaska and Miracle.

While I’m firmly entrenched in the mindset of Hoosiers being the best Basketball movie, One Crazy Sunmer is a close second

Best football movie is Horse Feathers.

Definitely the toughest category for me, but went Longest Yard.

I don't get the love for Rudy. It is among the most obvious, thinly plotted pieces of Hollywood mass market tripe ever made. It's the Rom-Com of sports movies.
I thought that was Jerry McGuire

I thought that was Jerry McGuire
Meh.  Jerry McGuire was pretty mediocre but it was a Rom-Com and sold as a Rom-Com.  

Despite that at least Cruise's character had some kind of story arc.  Being on top, melting down, pretty much ######## it all up when it looked like he was turning it around before finally finding redemption.

Rudy was The Little Engine that Could without the depth, subtlety and nuance. 

Sorry, I know people love Rudy but I simply don't understand why.

It's funny, for me it kind of went like this :  1.) Baseball. . . hmmm, that's a tough one, Bull Durham or The Natural. . . I'll come back.  2.) Football. . . where's The Longest Yard, done. . . damn forgot about Rudy, ah well, too late.  3.) Okay where do I vote for Hoosiers err I mean where's Basketball at? 4.) If Slapshot isn't on there for Hockey. . . there we go. . . I did like Goon but there's no 2nd place in each category. . . dammit alright Bull Durham for Baseball it is. . . shoulda picked The Natural. . . nah, I'm good.

For Auto Racing I always thought the best was Le Mans. Gran Prix and Last American Hero were close
seconds. Rush might now be at the top of my list. Gumball Rally is one of my favorite movies with autos in it.

For Football, it's North Dallas Forty. The other sports there are some great movies and it's all about
your preference. For Boxing, I would put Diggstown above anything else, even though it's not a great
"boxing" movie. Baseball has just too many greats to make just one a favorite. Basketball-Hoop Dreams.  

Surprised North Dallas Forty and Brian's Song are lagging behind.  Posters not as old as we thought? 

Also think the Basketball pick may be skewed by the demographics here. 

Users who are viewing this thread