What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club - DotM: Steven Spielberg (1 Viewer)

What streaming options do you have?

• Netflix

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Prime

Votes: 21 95.5%
  • Hulu

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Disney Plus

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Kanopy

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Tubi

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Criterion Channel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

KarmaPolice

Footballguy
New year, new attempt at getting a little focus movie talk going. I wanted to try by directors for a bit because I am selfish and that's how I usually think about movies. Talking with 80s, I think the specificity of some of the other incarnations limited participation as we went. Not everybody had access to the 2 movies, for example. Here I wanted it way more open, but with a little bit of guidance for people to watch a couple films over the month. As far as discussion and watching, again - wide open. Post your top 5, rank all the directors movies, post what you watched and why, don't post at all and just watch a movie. This is for fun.

What I plan to do is present 3 options for people to focus their search for ideas. 2 will be about the director(s) of the month specifically [ most common would be by years, but it could be other things]. The other one will be Influences. This can be either way - a movie or director that influenced the director, or a movie or director that came after. You pick which way you go if you choose that route, I will just give ideas and links. Again, watch 1 watch something from all 3, tell me the categories suck, it's all good.

I hope that makes a little bit of sense as we start off with.....

STEVEN SPIELBERG

Category 1: A movie from the 70s OR 2000 on
Category 2: A movie from 1980-1999

Influences:

Watch a John Ford movie
Watch one of Steve's favorite movies. HERE is a list I found looking around
Watch something you think was influenced or is a nod to Mr. Spielberg. An example I see all over is Super 8.

Last edited:
Spielberg is one that for some reason I feel I try to convince myself I don't like but really love him. I had planned to do a deep dive very soon and got a couple of 4ks for Christmas to help with motivation. I think it's the highs and lows that keep him off my very top rankings. Other directors that land for me like PTA and Kubrick have a near 100% hit rate. Granted, they made less movies, but they also don't have landmines like Crystal Skull to trudge through either.

Shots aside, he does have at least 1 movie from each decade from the 70s-00s that I would say is either a near perfect movie or at least one of my favorites from the decade. Jaws, E.T., Private Ryan, and Minority Report would be the tip of the iceberg for the conversation - start thinking about what I left off from each decade. There are some big blind spots for me in his filmography, and maybe with some group encouragement this will finally be the year I suck it up and watch A.I. :lol:

Last edited:
The reason for John Ford is I found this blurb to be interesting when I was scanning for ideas:

Steven Spielberg

Spielberg studied a lot of Ford’s techniques and made them his own. A common one is the recurring motif of reflections in mirrors. Like Ford, Spielberg employs a close up of a face at a dramatic moment. From complex blocking to tracking shots, Ford influenced a lot of Spielberg’s techniques but Spielberg took them to a whole new level.

Many of the action sequences in Spielberg’s films are also directly influenced by Ford’s classic chase sequence in Stagecoach. Another important aspect to pay attention to is the casting of extras. As discussed before, it is this that contributes to the mythical dimension of the history that is presented before us.

“I try to rent a John Ford film, one or two, before I start every movie. Simply because he inspires me and I’m very sensitive to the way he uses his camera to paint his pictures,” Spielberg once said.

He added, “The way he frames things and the way he stages and blocks his people, often keeping the camera static while the people give you the illusion that there’s a lot more kinetic movement occurring when there’s not. In that sense, he’s a classic painter. He celebrates the frame, not just what happens inside of it.”

I think it's the pain in my back or it could be the bolding in your OP, but it took me a while to figure out, and I'm not sure if we have it right. Do we watch three movies? If so, is it one from the first time period, one from the second time period, and then choose one of the three options under "Influences"?

And this has nothing to do with confusion from your post, but just generally is the idea to watch stuff we haven't seen before, or stuff we've seen and know we want to discuss, or dealer's choice on that?

Thanks for starting this up!

I think it's the pain in my back or it could be the bolding in your OP, but it took me a while to figure out, and I'm not sure if we have it right. Do we watch three movies? If so, is it one from the first time period, one from the second time period, and then choose one of the three options under "Influences"?

And this has nothing to do with confusion from your post, but just generally is the idea to watch stuff we haven't seen before, or stuff we've seen and know we want to discuss, or dealer's choice on that?

Yes, this. I am interested in any movie talk, and going by directors is cool. But it was a bit confusing. But I'll be in either way. Spielberg has a ton of great films.

Hope your back feels better @krista4. Been there many times. It's awful.

I am guessing it's mostly me trying to be general but provide some direction and making it more chaotic. What I have learned doing this stuff is that I personally go overboard and get spazzy. I don't have a good gauge on what a normal human watches for movies in a month. :lol: Here is further clarification and answers:

IMO it would work best if most participants watch a couple movies from the director that month. It would be great if most months each person tried to watch 2 movies, and choose 2 of the 3 options I listed. On top of that, yes - I would love it if people used this as a springboard to watch something they have never seen or not in awhile, so it would be great if one was a new to them movie. That said, I just want people to largely do what interests them. For you, if you don't like his movies - maybe 2 of the "influences" would be more fun and you could discuss why you like them better than Steve.

Here are some examples of what I had in mind for myself:

3 all new to me: A.I., Empire of the Sun, and How Green Was My Valley.

Some fun double features I wrote down for ideas:
  • 1941 + How Green Was My Valley (released in '41) ;)
  • War of the Worlds + Super 8
  • E.T. + Mac and Me
  • The Fabelmans + The Grapes of Wrath
  • A.I. + 2001
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark + The Mummy

Long story short, I just want people to have fun and watch what they have access to and want to while trying to generate a little excitement over movies.

How about this for general "rules": ?

Try to watch 2-3 movies, and from different categories.
The categories are Director 1 and 2 and Influences
Try to watch at least 1 you haven't seen before

For you, if you don't like his movies - maybe 2 of the "influences" would be more fun and you could discuss why you like them better than Steve.

Sorry, my post in the other thread might have indicated I don't like his movies. I do like most of those I've seen. For this, there's only one pre-2000 movie I haven't seen, which is Duel. I've always meant to watch that so will probably go there. Maybe do a sandwich of that and The Fabelmans. Haven't looked at the influences lists yet, but that sounds like a fun way to go, too. I like all your "rules"!

I watched Spielberg's Columbo episode last year. It's very watchable and is currently available on Peacock and Freevee. The opening shot is audacious for such an inexperienced director.

In addition to Duel, it looks like two of his early made-for-TV movies Savage and Something Evil are on YouTube.

Duel is available for rent in 4k from Vudu (and perhaps iTunes) for $4 and worth spending the money. I bought the disc and it looks great - it's a very good movie and really does show why Spielberg was going to be the next big thing.

I'm going to start with a double feature of Day For Night and The Fablemans. I've also never seen Empire of the Sun, so I'll likely check that off the list.

Last edited:
@Joey Wright this thread is calling you.

If y'all don't know Joey, he's great. He's become a key FBG Staff guy and does a ton for us. He'll also fit right in with you movie experts.

Duel is available for rent in 4k from Vudu (and perhaps iTunes) for $4 and worth spending the money. I bought the disc and it looks great - it's a very good movie and really does show why Spielberg was going to be the next big thing.

I'm going to start with a double feature of Day For Night and The Fablemans. I've also never seen Empire of the Sun, so I'll likely check that off the list.
Love that idea and pairing.

We'll see if I get there, but I wanted to watch a few of his I haven't seen or have little to no memory of. Duel would be in that category for me. However, I have been ever so slowly doing 70s research for a possible 80s/KP countdown and my idea for that was to also get around to watching Sorcerer and doing a double feature with that and Duel.

I had a lot written down for category above for me. Along with Duel, I had: 1941, Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, Always, Hook, Amistad, A.I, Munich, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, and The Post. That's a lot of movies with no to little memory of. My main rewatches for this were Fabelmans and Schindler's List (this is a 4K I got for Christmas).

Looking at his wikipedia page something I found interesting was the 4 movies on the list where he has writing credits on:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Poltergeist
A.I.
The Fabelmans

I hope to rewatch The Fabelmans because I really did enjoy that. I’ve never seen Duel or AI so I would love to see those as well. Then I’ll look over the influence list because I know there’s some movies I love on it.

Ohh maybe I will rewatch Day for Night, that’s a fantastic movie

I watch a ton of old movies, if i was a better writer and more critical of movies & directors, I would participate in this. Instead I'll just follow along and watch some of the movies talked about

Is there an ***official timetable for this or should we start posting as we watch them :shrug:
Like many of my ideas, this isn't well thought out. :lol:

I am fine with people just posting if they watch something for month one. It will be an experiment, which is another reason I thought Spielberg would be a good start. If it's too chaotic or people want to wait longer we can adjust as we go.

Since Wednesday is the hump day rewatch something I love day, I am deciding on a watch of Minority Report or Private Ryan. I've seen most of the earlier ones I love more recently.

Spielberg was also heavily influenced by David Lean. The Bridge Over the River Kwai and Empire of the Sun might make an interesting double-bill. Lean was originally in line to direct Empire of the Sun (with Spielberg producing). And it would work in kind of the same way that doing a Kubrick movie and A.I. might in seeing how Spielberg interpreted taking over a project from one of his idols.

Surprised I couldn't find Day For Night on any of the streaming services - even as a pay rental.

Found it on DVD through the library.

There's a 720p rip on YouTube without the garbled sound that a lot of YouTube movies have to evade copyright strikes. The run time is correct although there's a minute or so of blank screen at the beginning.

Spielberg was also heavily influenced by David Lean. The Bridge Over the River Kwai and Empire of the Sun might make an interesting double-bill. Lean was originally in line to direct Empire of the Sun (with Spielberg producing). And it would work in kind of the same way that doing a Kubrick movie and A.I. might in seeing how Spielberg interpreted taking over a project from one of his idols.
Thank you for this idea. I have Bridge 4k sitting on my shelf and haven't gotten to it. This would make a perfect double feature. I threw out 2001 + A.I. as a possible pairing too.

What about Bridge Over the River Kwai and Bridge of Spies? ;)

I watch a ton of old movies, if i was a better writer and more critical of movies & directors, I would participate in this. Instead I'll just follow along and watch some of the movies talked about
If you change your mind and want to jump in, we would certainly love to hear from you

We watched E.T. instead. Probably the better way to start a month of Spielberg, but I am still hit or miss with the movie and last night was more on the miss side.

I'll have more thoughts later, but despite owning the movie its middle of the pack for me as far as favorites or most enjoyable to me.

We watched E.T. instead. Probably the better way to start a month of Spielberg, but I am still hit or miss with the movie and last night was more on the miss side.

I'll have more thoughts later, but despite owning the movie its middle of the pack for me as far as favorites or most enjoyable to me.
East is east and West is west and ne'er the twain shall meet.

I keep meaning to watch E.T. due to your critical analysis of it. I remember thinking it was an interesting thesis and probably quite correct. I can't totally remember what it was, but it struck me as original and insightful.

I'll delete that last sentence so there are no spoilers.

Last edited:

I keep meaning to watch E.T. due to your critical analysis of it. I remember thinking it was an interesting thesis and probably quite correct. I can't totally remember what it was, but it struck me as original and insightful. It was about the characters and the passage into adolescence.
Short-ish version is that a kid thinks only of themselves. Two hallmarks of adulthood are empathy and responsibility, traits Elliot acquires after encountering E.T.

Short-ish version is that a kid thinks only of themselves. Two hallmarks of adulthood are empathy and responsibility, traits Elliot acquires after encountering E.T.

I love this, but maybe consider deleting it so people don't go in with colored notions. I just deleted what I said upthread after thinking about it.

I keep meaning to watch E.T. due to your critical analysis of it. I remember thinking it was an interesting thesis and probably quite correct. I can't totally remember what it was, but it struck me as original and insightful.

I'll delete that last sentence so there are no spoilers.
2 observations I equate to Andy: talking about kids in 80s movies running around free and missing that in movies, and ET being the vehicle for Elliot learn to understand other people's feelings (call back to his brother yelling at him during the early dinner scene)

Whether either or both are from Andy, not 100%, but I was right in our current conversation so maybe I'll go 2 for 2. ;)

I'm all for the discussion, and it's exactly what I wanted.

Gotcha. Cool. I remember reading Andy's thesis a while back and thinking that he was spot-on about the movie and that I'd never thought of it that way. (I was never a huge fan of the movie.)

Now, what I would love Andy or anyone else to explain is the geography of their neighborhood.
Back innaday not every square inch of California was developed. Or something like that.

Not sure why their house abutted a corn field though. Never been able to figure that one.

Ultimately though it's like worrying about the architecture of The Overlook hotel in The Shining - as in, you shouldn't.

Now, what I would love Andy or anyone else to explain is the geography of their neighborhood.
Back innaday not every square inch of California was developed. Or something like that.

Not sure why their house abutted a corn field though. Never been able to figure that one.

Ultimately though it's like worrying about the architecture of The Overlook hotel in The Shining - as in, you shouldn't.
Of course not, but once the edibles kick in this and why mom is waking around in basically nothing during D&D night is what I focus on. oh, and lighting. I become a professional cinematographer at night, it seems. :lol:

Oh and E.T. also has a lesson for the adults - how antiseptic are your relationships?

What if Keys & Co has gotten to E.T. first - would they have tried understanding or sprung immediately to analysis?

Sure Elliott treats his mom poorly early on, but she's in her own world too and not giving much credence to the input of her children. I mean, there's an alien in he kitchen, her daughter is trying to tell her about it, and all she's worried about is the dry cleaning. It's funny but poignant.

The older brother Michael is a nice bridge between the the idea of old and young - he wants to talk about high scores in video games until his younger brother needs him... And he comes through, having Elliott's back through the whole thing. His demeanor on the bus ride to school is really telling - yesterday he'd have been throwing wadded up paper too. Now today, it seems so unimportant and childish to him.

And Keys himself remembers why he wanted to do all this to begin with. He could have called in the troops to stop the escape, but he doesn't.

antiseptic

antiseptic?

Can you unpack that word and what you mean by it?
a
: coldly impersonal
an antiseptic greeting

I almost feel like E.T. is an apology of sorts for Close Encounters. Let's face it, Roy Nearly is a pretty childish and self-centered dude.

Where Elliott recognizes his earthbound responsibilities and turns down an offer to leave and explore, Roy does the opposite and abandons his responsibilities and takes off with the sounds of "When You Wish Upon A Star" playing in the background.

I've never really enjoyed CEot3K.

I'm all for the discussion, and it's exactly what I wanted.

Gotcha. Cool. I remember reading Andy's thesis a while back and thinking that he was spot-on about the movie and that I'd never thought of it that way. (I was never a huge fan of the movie.)
This was me. I wasn't even 7 when the movie came out and it scared me. I hated that little ******* and his screeching. Watching him turn into a crusty white cat turd didn't do my dreams any favors either. I grew up not seeing it as this fun family movie that everybody else seemed to love. I have 0 connection or nostalgia for the movie and that has been a mental roadblock watching as an adult for sure.

That said, I have learned to like it a lot more, and the comments from @Andy Dufresne and his passion for the movie are a big reason for that. I've at least gone from dislike to like/appreciate the movie. It's still a bit hit or miss with me like I said. The heart of Spielberg and his core ideas are all on display in E.T. and that is the plus. It's the reason many people start with it as a favorite. If you aren't a cold hearted ******* like me, the movie is full of scenes of hope, compassion, and family relationships. The minuses is IMO it's not Spielberg at the top of his game behind the camera. I get a bit squirrelly and bored in the first 1/2 has there is a lot of unseen things running in bushes, long shots of keys, Elliot explaining things to E.T., things like that. Coming from my adult self revisiting these things, I'm surprised that E.T. came after Jaws. Also, what I have come to realize is that I now seem to have issue with A LOT of 80s movies. There is just this sheen of pervy-ness, bullying, and too old for kids dialogue that to me is front and center in a lot of the movies.

I almost feel like E.T. is an apology of sorts for Close Encounters. Let's face it, Roy Nearly is a pretty childish and self-centered dude.

Where Elliott recognizes his earthbound responsibilities and turns down an offer to leave and explore, Roy does the opposite and abandons his responsibilities and takes off with the sounds of "When You Wish Upon A Star" playing in the background.

Is it an apology or just two different ways to look at it for Steve as he wrestled with his Dad demons?

Close Encounters tells a story of a selfish parent that chooses something besides the family, and E.T. is the counter to it. I like the ending of E.T. more, but Close Encounters a little more overall. I guess I can relate to both sets of impulses and choices in the 2 movies and it seems you don't relate to Roy at all.

antiseptic

antiseptic?

Can you unpack that word and what you mean by it?
a
: coldly impersonal
an antiseptic greeting

I will remember this definition when we talk Kubrick in the future. ;)

Is it an apology or just two different ways to look at it for Steve as he wrestled with his Dad demons?

Close Encounters tells a story of a selfish parent that chooses something besides the family, and E.T. is the counter to it. I like the ending of E.T. more, but Close Encounters a little more overall. I guess I can relate to both sets of impulses and choices in the 2 movies and it seems you don't relate to Roy at all.
That's the other take that I have, yes. These two movies are Spielberg's catharsis.

I might need to give ET a rewatch. I haven’t seen it since I the was a preteen and it didn’t do too much for him. Didn’t dislike it but I never got the impulse to rewatch. I’ve given Close Encounters a couple chances and it’s just boring.

More than ANY other movie (yes, I know what I'm saying), the score for E.T. is intertwined with the story to comprise the whole and to punctuate the emotions.

There's just nothing better than Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye...

Spielberg and Lucas both should have given at least half their fortunes to John Williams.

I might need to give ET a rewatch. I haven’t seen it since I the was a preteen and it didn’t do too much for him. Didn’t dislike it but I never got the impulse to rewatch. I’ve given Close Encounters a couple chances and it’s just boring.
Not wrong

Neither of these did much for me either. Close Encounters suffered from being a "spaceship" movie in 1977, and 11 year old JWB, who was blown away by Star Wars, wanted way more lasers than CE delivered. I gave it another shot years later, but like you, still found it boring. ET... it was little too cute for me at the time. It did age a little better though, and I can appreciate it more now, but it still doesn't fall into a "must watch".

Am definitely watching Duel for this (probably this weekend), but haven't decided on the others yet.

ETA: Agree with @Andy Dufresne that ET's score is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread