What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Late term abortions (1 Viewer)

So you're against abortion in the second trimester in cases of rape?
You're a smart guy and most of the time a pretty good dude but you really do ruin a lot of these threads when you start pulling the lawyer schtick and insisting on the last word in every single conversation.   I'm out.  Enjoy your slavery and abortion comparisons.  Have a good one.

Also, if I'm understanding the perspective here, you're talking about women being slaves to carrying the baby (not raising it), which is a 9 month situation - likely even less from when they realize they are expecting.
You conveniently leave out birthing the baby which carries a non-zero risk of medical complications including death.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're a smart guy and most of the time a pretty good dude but you really do ruin a lot of these threads when you start pulling the lawyer schtick and insisting on the last word in every single conversation.   I'm out.  Enjoy your slavery and abortion comparisons.  Have a good one.
:shrug:  I asked you a question.  By definition, I was giving you at least the next word. 

You conveniently leave out birthing the baby which carries a non-zero risk of medical complications including death.
So you're on the pregnancy = slavery train, too?  I'm also not quite sure where Henry actually stated "short term slavery or indentured servitude".  Going back to the last page I still see the first post in that discussion states ""I don't have any interest in slavery, I just want to tell black people what they have to do for me and not pay them" followed by "Being anti-choice is akin to pro--slavery in my opinion".  So I'm not sure where he's now bringing up "short term slavery or indentured servitude" from - and I went all the way back to where he brought up the number of snake bites for some reason, which is about where I started in this thread.

So if being anti choice is pro slavery, I guess that means that the Emancipation proclamation is like an abortion.

Sometimes you just have to give a guy credit for knowing that he's talking himself into a corner and bowing out. 
He's not in a crazy position. He's not in a corner any more than I am.   And I was searching for common ground - the viability part of the discussion.

Now, I happen to be comfortable in my corner, and I've worked on this position from a logical and philosophical position since college, and I don't see much likelihood that I'm being moved off of it, but I'm as entrenched in an unpopular position with his side as he is with my side.

So you're on the pregnancy = slavery train, too?  I'm also not quite sure where Henry actually stated "short term slavery or indentured servitude".  Going back to the last page I still see the first post in that discussion states ""I don't have any interest in slavery, I just want to tell black people what they have to do for me and not pay them" followed by "Being anti-choice is akin to pro--slavery in my opinion".  So I'm not sure where he's now bringing up "short term slavery or indentured servitude" from - and I went all the way back to where he brought up the number of snake bites for some reason, which is about where I started in this thread.

So if being anti choice is pro slavery, I guess that means that the Emancipation proclamation is like an abortion.
I think your analogy is off.  The Emancipation Proclamation would be like Roe v. Wade in this analogy.

Being anti-choice is akin to pro--slavery in my opinion, and I've said this before.

You can be pro-life without advocating for laws that limit a woman's ability to control her own body.  When you advocate for those, you advocate for being able to tell a woman what she's allowed to do with her own body without compensating her for it and against her will.  Yes, I consider that short-term slavery or indentured servitude.

I hear pro-Confederacy arguments a lot, living in the South.  And you know what?  I get that lots of pro-Confederacy people think they're just advocating for their heritage.  But you know what?  It's also about slavery.  

I get that anti-choice advocates just think they're advocating for protecting a life.  

Edit: and, again, this is generally with respect to pre-viability abortions.  Once that happens, we have a different set of circumstances in my opinion.

I think your analogy is off.  The Emancipation Proclamation would be like Roe v. Wade in this analogy.
Not really.  EP (effectively) ended slavery.  Roe v Wade allowed abortions.  The abortion itself it what ends the pregnancy.  Roe v Wade didn't end all pregnancies.   

Not really.  EP (effectively) ended slavery.  Roe v Wade allowed abortions.  The abortion itself it what ends the pregnancy.  Roe v Wade didn't end all pregnancies.   
Yes.  Your analogy is definitely off.

Pro-choice people aren't anti-pregnancy.

honestly missed that.  I guess I jumped right down to the Confederate part. 

For the record, I actually consider myself to be pro-choice.  But that choice should (by and large) always be life.  I'm against abortions (by and large - again, no absolutes).  I'm pro-choice only to the extent that I don't think it should be the gov. forcing anything in a "free society". 

honestly missed that.  I guess I jumped right down to the Confederate part. 

For the record, I actually consider myself to be pro-choice.  But that choice should (by and large) always be life.  I'm against abortions (by and large - again, no absolutes).  I'm pro-choice only to the extent that I don't think it should be the gov. forcing anything in a "free society". 
Which makes you not anti-choice.  And, again, I apologize for having been loose with language earlier in the thread and ascribing that position to all "pro-lifers."  It's a reaction to the "Preaux Life" movement here recently and it was improper.

But that thing that makes you shy away from being anti-choice and saying the government shouldn't force that decision is exactly what I think would be short-term slavery or indentured servitude.

I'm not sure what else you'd call forcing a woman to give birth against her will.
There are many things in this country that we are forced to do against our will. They aren't equivalent to slavery in any way. 

You are forced to pay taxes for example. That isn't akin to slavery. That is a law. the same would apply to giving berth.

If your forced to do something you didn’t want to do or didn’t mean to do it is like slavery in a way. 

If I can’t afford a kid I don’t get how a fiscal conservative would want to force my wife or girlfriend to have one as well. 

It may be impossible to have a discussion about late term abortion without it ultimately becoming a discussion  about all aspects of abortion. That wasn’t my intent, but I can’t blame anybody on any side because feelings are so passionate about this subject. 

There are many things in this country that we are forced to do against our will. They aren't equivalent to slavery in any way. 

You are forced to pay taxes for example. That isn't akin to slavery. That is a law. the same would apply to giving berth.
That's not entirely true.

The collection of taxes does not deprive anyone of autonomy over their body.

That's not entirely true.
I know that. And neither would the giving birth by force be entirely true. You can avoid most any law but there will be consequences. that applies to both situations. For the record, I am in no way interested in a semantic discussion with you. The earlier poster was correct. You have to get in this last word. It gets old fast. 

If your forced to do something you didn’t want to do or didn’t mean to do it is like slavery in a way. 

If I can’t afford a kid I don’t get how a fiscal conservative would want to force my wife or girlfriend to have one as well. 
I really dislike this argument. Whenever I hear it, I see “The Handmaid’s Tale” in my mind. That’s a wonderful tv show, but it’s a dark fantasy and if you believe thats what pro-lifers truly want, you’re kind of being delusional IMO. 

All pro-lifers want you to do is think of the fetus in the womb the same way as you would think of a baby outside of the womb. That’s all. If you had a baby and you refused to feed it and it starved to death, you would be guilty of a murder. If you refused to clothe the baby, or clean the baby, you would be guilty of child abuse. Do these laws make you a slave, either to the state or to the baby? That’s an absurd comparison by any measure. 

I am  very much pro-choice, but this sort of misrepresentation of pro-life people is unfair and harmful, IMO. 

I really dislike this argument. Whenever I hear it, I see “The Handmaid’s Tale” in my mind. That’s a wonderful tv show, but it’s a dark fantasy and if you believe thats what pro-lifers truly want, you’re kind of being delusional IMO. 

All pro-lifers want you to do is think of the fetus in the womb the same way as you would think of a baby outside of the womb. That’s all. If you had a baby and you refused to feed it and it starved to death, you would be guilty of a murder. If you refused to clothe the baby, or clean the baby, you would be guilty of child abuse. Do these laws make you a slave, either to the state or to the baby? That’s an absurd comparison by any measure. 

I am  very much pro-choice, but this sort of misrepresentation of pro-life people is unfair and harmful, IMO. 
Right. If I have a child I can’t afford to feed and I rely on the government to feed it they will criticize me for it and ##### about supporting everyone else. That’s all I’m saying. 

I know that. And neither would the giving birth by force be entirely true. You can avoid most any law but there will be consequences. that applies to both situations. For the record, I am in no way interested in a semantic discussion with you. The earlier poster was correct. You have to get in this last word. It gets old fast. 
Yeah, that actually was a reality before abortions were legal. 

You'd be guilty of child neglect.  And your child would probably be taken away. Notably, you could avoid this consequence by intentionally giving up your child and refusing to clothe the baby or clean the baby forever. By agreeing to do exactly what you want to do.

But you wouldn't be forced to undergo massive physiological changes, gestate a human being for nine months, and then have an episiotomy.  

You wake up in the morning and find yourself back to back in bed with an unconscious violinist. A famous unconscious violinist. He has been found to have a fatal kidney ailment, and the Society of Music Lovers has canvassed all the available medical records and found that you alone have the right blood type to help. They have therefore kidnapped you, and last night the violinist's circulatory system was plugged into yours, so that your kidneys can be used to extract poisons from his blood as well as your own. [If he is unplugged from you now, he will die; but] in nine months he will have recovered from his ailment, and can safely be unplugged from you.
If you are forced to stay, in the above scenario, under penalty of prison - is that akin to slavery?

But you wouldn't be forced to undergo massive physiological changes, gestate a human being for nine months, and then have an episiotomy.  
Which is one reason I am pro-choice, because I do see a distinction. 

But my point is that pro-life people don’t. So this slavery analogy is IMO unfair to them 

Yeah, seems best to say "Sure, it's slavery, but a type of slavery I'm ok with in exchange for the life of the baby" and move on.

I largely agree with it. 
It's integral to the discussion of my position.  The one you engaged with is less so.

The position that this is akin to slavery or servitude is based solely on the exercise of rights over another person's body that no one else has a right to. Period.  No one has a right to be attached to your circulatory system, to be gestated by your body, to cause massive physiological changes to you.  No one.  Ever.  That is different than your scenario.

Anti-choice people will generally not admit this.  If they did it would be a much shorter conversation.
I'm not suggesting they should admit it. I'm suggesting they should just accept your wording, even if they disagree with it, and move on.

It's integral to the discussion of my position.  The one you engaged with is less so.

The position that this is akin to slavery or servitude is based solely on the exercise of rights over another person's body that no one else has a right to. Period.  No one has a right to be attached to your circulatory system, to be gestated by your body, to cause massive physiological changes to you.  No one.  Ever.  That is different than your scenario.
Just curious, are you pro choice under just about any circumstance?  Not talking legally or morally - you personally.  8.5 months mother changes her mind, no longer wants to be "a slave", and should be able to have an abortion just because?  Is there any line in you mind?

I get that you don’t agree and I understand why people on your side of the argument consider what is happening murder. 

I don’t agree with your position but I understand it from your perspective. 

Can you do the same?
No I do not understand it from your perspective. Do you understand racism from the perspective of a racist? Do you understand being a serial killer from the perspective of Ted Bundy?  

No I do not understand it from your perspectives. Do you understand racism from the perspective of a racist?
Yeah, usually. I don’t agree with it but I understand the reasoning in most circumstances. I just believe it’s usually based on a set of false premises or faulty logic. Ones I can point out and explain how they’re wrong in a number of different ways.  

You're welcome to give that a shot if you’d like. 

Just curious, are you pro choice under just about any circumstance?  Not talking legally or morally - you personally.  8.5 months mother changes her mind, no longer wants to be "a slave", and should be able to have an abortion just because?  Is there any line in you mind?
At 8.5 months a procedure can be instituted that would give a fetus about a 90% chance at life and also end the pregnancy.  I think that is the proper vehicle at that point.  I have a huge problem with the question of “sure, but if she decides not to do that should we let doctors perform an abortion.”  I tend to end on “no, and doctors need to stand up and refuse to do that but offer a c-section instead.”

I’m also on record saying no relationship I’ve ever been in would probably survive if a woman I was with had an abortion after the first trimester for non-medical reasons. Pretty good chance it would destroy any of those relationships even before then.  I’m definitely not pro-abortion.  

Is there a point in time that you aren't allowed to make that determination Henry?  I understand your 'akin to slavery' concept and I suppose it makes sense.  But, in the context of THIS thread's original question, the mother has already submitted to potentially 8+ months of indentured servitude and has gestated the baby to a point that it isn't a quick blip and its gone.  The baby is viable at this point.  Its a person.  Its inside another person, but its a person.  At what point does the mother NOT get to exercise rights over another person's body?  

Is there a point in time that you aren't allowed to make that determination Henry?  I understand your 'akin to slavery' concept and I suppose it makes sense.  But, in the context of THIS thread's original question, the mother has already submitted to potentially 8+ months of indentured servitude and has gestated the baby to a point that it isn't a quick blip and its gone.  The baby is viable at this point.  Its a person.  Its inside another person, but its a person.  At what point does the mother NOT get to exercise rights over another person's body?  
1. Read the post right above yours;

2. The prospective mother isn't exercising rights over the fetus's body.  The prospective mother is refusing to give rights to her body to the fetus

That's a very important distinction.  And getting to that discussion requires starting with an understanding of where everyone is on who has rights and what they are.

1. Read the post right above yours;

2. The prospective mother isn't exercising rights over the fetus's body.  The prospective mother is refusing to give rights to her body to the fetus

That's a very important distinction.  And getting to that discussion requires starting with an understanding of where everyone is on who has rights and what they are.
Terminating its life?

I agree with you. What I wrote is not my scenario but that of pro-lifers, and it’s wrong to deliberately paint them as something they’re not. They don’t see it as slavery. 

Users who are viewing this thread