What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

VA Gov. Ralph Northam Yearbook Photo - LG and AG Scandals Too (1 Viewer)

I went to high school on the Peninsula - I went to grade school on the Southside - living in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Portsmouth.

I attended:  Star of the Sea Catholic school, Princess Anne Elementary, and Portsmouth Catholic

As an adult, we lived in Ghent for a few years, my second daughter was born in Norfolk General.

I have grown up and lived all over the tidewater area.
Small world, used to light it up and Star of the Sea basketball camp.  :hifive:

This may actually be a Kavanaugh situation. I don’t think anyone asked him about the drinking quote and if that was accurate. He’s possibly just forgetting because he was tanked, and maybe someone else submitted the photo. I also find it really really hard to believe he had never seen or heard of this before.

"Are you still able to Moon Walk?"

"My wife says in appropriate circumstances"

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Quixote said:
Posted this in the late term abortion thread, but probably worth a separate thread (since that thread started based on Northam's comments, but not really a Northam/VA politics thread).

Va. Gov. Northam’s medical school yearbook page shows men in blackface, KKK robe

I'm not sure how survives it.  Unless he has a really, really, really, REALLY good story, I think he's got 48 hours to vacate the premises.

I'm not sure how that has been missed in all his campaigns, going back to Lt. Gov and Gov.  How do all of these opposition researchers miss that?
Maybe already covered, but didn’t they fake a photo like this on house of cards?

Still doesn't know why two classmates called him Coonman, says "You will have to ask them."'

Maybe they will say he was a raccoon whisperer or a fur trapper.

This may actually be a Kavanaugh situation. I don’t think anyone asked him about the drinking quote and if that was accurate. He’s possibly just forgetting because he was tanked, and maybe someone else submitted the photo. I also find it really really hard to believe he had never seen or heard of this before.
My guess is this is very similar to Kavanaugh - albeit a bit older.

It looks like it would have been a costume party where they would have viewed the costume as "funny" not necessarily offensive (probably because there were no minorities at the party).

I don't know why two dudes would have coordinated costumes for a party, but that not why we are here.

*I am not watching/listening to the news conference - I am going with the assumption that is Northam in one of the costumes, and I had assumed it was the Klan guy.

So sad that Northam is taking the "Trump" way out.  After all these horrible allegations came to light he falls back on the, "I am not that person!"    Yes, yes you are that person you were a grown adult who made a conscious decision to wear blackface.     Hopefully, the DNC will apply enough pressure on him that he will either change his mind or be removed from office.    The DNC has to take the higher road on issues of race.  

I'm not defenidng him. I really couldn't care much less.

What I care about is where society is and how we react to things like this.

Kick him out, keep him in, I really couldn't care much less.  But it's annoying living in a society that hyperinflates controversy they can see in pictures and videos, and turns a blind eye to terrible actions that have plenty of evidence behind them but aren't photogenic.
This is a great point.

Of course he has.  But he has to offer up a plausible enough excuse to keep his job, and allow folks to accept the lie.  Because we can't reasonably process the reality.

I wasn't a drunk, but I do like beer.  I didn't dress up as the KKK or in blackface in that picture, but I did once paint my face dark to impersonate michael jackson.

If we're going to go ape#### as a society over pictures, we deserve these lies.

I went to high school on the Peninsula - I went to grade school on the Southside - living in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Portsmouth.

I attended:  Star of the Sea Catholic school, Princess Anne Elementary, and Portsmouth Catholic

As an adult, we lived in Ghent for a few years, my second daughter was born in Norfolk General.

I have grown up and lived all over the tidewater area.
We may have been neighbors.  I lived on Westover.  Pretty much across the street from EVMS.  

Al Sharpton said he made it worse "I didn't do blackface here, I did it there"

What year did he say he darkened his face to be Michael Jackson? If it had been post 1988, he should have lightened his face. 

This guy on CNN is cracking me up: "If only he had admitted to dressing up as Michael Jackson while he was running for office I wouldn't have thought it was a big deal"   :lol:

I know the common thing is to think "Every Trump Supporter = mouth breathing goon with a confederate flag burning a cross". The reality is I know a lot of completely non crazy regular people who voted Trump. Same with Pro Life. Everyone wants to think they all are a fringe bunch of lunatics. The reality is a know a lot of people like my friend who took Northram's words as deeply offensive, even borderline evil. 

It's easy to brush off people that don't believe what we do as lunatics or crazies. But I think that's a mistake to underestimate the sentiment. 
I don’t think they are all a fringe bunch of lunatics. But I often wonder about the really demonstrative ones. My only real exposure to any formal pro-life activity is this:

*I used to work with emotionally disturbed teenagers years ago. One day we had taken a trip to downtown Buffalo to see some Christmas tree expo at some convention center. As we (me, another adult, and about 10 teenagers) were walking in a group of prolifers were shoving pamphlets into the hands of my kids. I ushered them all away and they were looking at the pamphlets, which were full of highly graphic photos of bloody aborted fetuses.

*Currently, I drive to Buffalo for work and on Main St. on a corner there is always a small group of prolifers holding up signs for passing traffic.

The second doesn’t bother me at all, while I’m pro choice I don’t think it is a cut/dry issue per se. MT made a very persuasive argument defining the issue months (years?) ago that I thought was excellent.

The first-the prolifers shoving graphic pamphlets into the hands of my kids-I thought was obscene. I wanted to confront and berate them. That wouldn’t have been wise of course. But those people have indelibly defined my opinion of the pro-life movement, at least at the visceral level.

36 years ago then ............ nothing else ever except those things ?
And admitting to doing blackface at a different event now, apparently.  And being horrible at damage control.  Apparently thinking yesterday that he could have been in a photo as either a KKK guy or blackface before today being adamant that it wasn’t you.

As Capehart said, it was on his yearbook page. One assumes that he selected the photo, but if not, there are no accounts of him complaining about it at the time, which would mean he tacitly approved of it.

To make matters worse, he knew it was out there for anyone to find and he could have raised this issue about his past when he ran for governor, giving a mea culpa and saying that he has changed from the person that he was and has used this as a learning experience, etc.
Who is Capehart?

Still doesn't know why two classmates called him Coonman, says "You will have to ask them."'

Maybe they will say he was a raccoon whisperer or a fur trapper.
"'Coons? When raccoons tried to get on our back porch Mama just chased em off with a broom."

Also, Al Franken vs. Brett Kavanaugh.
I didn't think it appropriate to pile on.  Imagine how different any of these guys in the GOP were repudiated by their supporters like they are demanding this guy be repudiated.  We'd have a much different (and probably better) scene.  However, it seems that the GOP honks can only get worked up about it when the person has a "D" by their name.

36 years ago then ............ nothing else ever except those things ?
It’s a fair point. I know nothing about Northam but I suppose he had a clean rep until now. - However this would hold water better if his explanations weren’t so lousy. He seems to admit it, then he backtracks saying basically he would have known if he had forgotten about it. 

Someone else above pointed out about pre smart phone days. People weren’t running around with cameras. The MJ take doesn’t exactly make me think he didn’t think it was funny. He’s just covering his track for when that photo also comes back after his denial.

I actually found the guy sort of sympathetic and truthy sounding, problem is the facts he portrayed stink.

Meh, those type of mistakes have happened numerous times over the years, particularly on Fox where they would (probably) unintentionally list a Republican with a (D) when there was some unfavorable news about that person. I doubt this type of thing is done deliberately on either side.
oh stop this #### :lmao:  ....this is absurd coming from the guy who would have absolutely started a thread about something like this had it happened on FoxNews.  There's not a universe I am aware of where you, squis, would say anything remotely close to "Meh, these mistakes happen" if it were happening on FoxNews.

It’s a fair point. I know nothing about Northam but I suppose he had a clean rep until now. - However this would hold water better if his explanations weren’t so lousy. He seems to admit it, then he backtracks says basically he would have known if he had forgotten about it. 

Someone else above pointed out about pre smart phone days. People weren’t running around with cameras. The MJ take doesn’t exactly make me think he didn’t think it was funny. He’s just covering his track for when that photo also comes back after his denial.

I actually found the guy sort of sympathetic and truthy sounding, problem is the facts he portrayed stink.
So his options are to resign in disgrace, for something done decades ago that doesn't represent who he is today, because no amount of apologies or explanations will quell the publics desire for blood once they've seen...GASP...a picture.

or

Try as hard as you can to come up with some plausibly deniable situation where you fess to a lesser crime, but completely disavow the one that has folks so outraged.  In doing this, you disarm the hostility folks have for surprises that may have come with a pic of him as blackface MJ, and you deftly sidestep the hostility about this pic.  "I too am outraged!  How did this get in the yearbook!?!?"

Can't fault the guy for taking this path, given that the alternative is the complete dismantling of his life based on a picture that likely (hopefully) doesn't represent who he is today or who he has been for a very long time.

My guess is this is very similar to Kavanaugh - albeit a bit older.

It looks like it would have been a costume party where they would have viewed the costume as "funny" not necessarily offensive (probably because there were no minorities at the party).

I don't know why two dudes would have coordinated costumes for a party, but that not why we are here.

*I am not watching/listening to the news conference - I am going with the assumption that is Northam in one of the costumes, and I had assumed it was the Klan guy.
Ok it was obviously a sitlght gag. This makes intrinsic sense unlike what Ralph claims. It’s the caption underneath the pic that gets me. So ok med students are laying out pics, they get confused.... and the pic by the caption about drinking just happens to be a couple guys drinking? And shouldn’t Northam’s other lost pic be elsewhere in the book under someone else’s name? ‘Oh that’s weird, why is Ralph’s pic under Susan’s name?’ Biggest Problem is that the explanation makes zero sense. - The version you give does make sense.

"Are you still able to Moon Walk?"

"My wife says in appropriate circumstances"
I thought it was more like...

He starts looking around for a place to prove he can.  His wife tells him, "inappropriate circumstances."

Meanwhile she's thinking, "HTF did I get myself into this with such a clown."

He starts looking around for a place to prove he can.  His wife tells him, "inappropriate circumstances."

A guy who has poor instincts for what's appropriate lives life up until they meet in ways where he crosses that line repeatedly.  After they meet, she keeps him in line and helps him understand what's appropriate and what's not.

What a fitting narrative supported by a demonstration of the dynamic in their relationship.

It’s a fair point. I know nothing about Northam but I suppose he had a clean rep until now. - However this would hold water better if his explanations weren’t so lousy. He seems to admit it, then he backtracks saying basically he would have known if he had forgotten about it. 

I think truthy sounding as well. My law school printed a yearbook (probably a similar class size to his medical school), but I never bought or looked at it. I have no idea is in there.

But I do think if there was a picture claimed to be of me in a KKK hood or blackface, someone would have said something to me about it. And, even if I did not know it at the time, I would be 100% certain that it was not me because I’ve never worn black face or a KKK hood in my life.

Admitting to it being a picture of him yesterday and then backtracking today (apparently after needing to discuss with friends to his memory) is just plain weird.

So his options are to resign in disgrace, for something done decades ago that doesn't represent who he is today, because no amount of apologies or explanations will quell the publics desire for blood once they've seen...GASP...a picture.

or

Try as hard as you can to come up with some plausibly deniable situation where you fess to a lesser crime, but completely disavow the one that has folks so outraged.  In doing this, you disarm the hostility folks have for surprises that may have come with a pic of him as blackface MJ, and you deftly sidestep the hostility about this pic.  "I too am outraged!  How did this get in the yearbook!?!?"

Can't fault the guy for taking this path, given that the alternative is the complete dismantling of his life based on a picture that likely (hopefully) doesn't represent who he is today or who he has been for a very long time.
Both paths lead to his resignation.

No,

Question: "Are you still able to Moonwalk?"

Northam's Wife "In appropriate circumstances (Sounds like that but not real clear)

Northam: "My wife says in appropriate circumstances"

https://twitter.com/andysternberg/status/1091796067354578946

or

Option 3 was to take the blame and make the argument you’re making, which in essence is fair. I think if Ralph followed that VMI creed he’d do that.

Option 3 was to take the blame and make the argument you’re making, which in essence is fair. I think if Ralph followed that VMI creed he’d do that.
I'd respect him more for it if he did.

He seems to be placing more importance on maintaining power over being honest and forthright.

I think you come out and say “I did it, it was racist, I’ve grown.  I’m 100% anti-racism now and will dedicate my career to fighting racism.” 

In this environment that might not work, but it would have played out better than this.

If he had reacted honestly, I could possibly see forgiveness being extended.  This charade is absurd.
Absolutely no chance he'd maintain his career or status if he had been honest.

The charade is what's called for if he's to maintain any dignity, or remain in politics.  It's what we require of him because we are a hideous and unforgiving society who enjoys crucifying folks for their mistakes, and only later, once their fall is complete, being willing to welcome them back in, but only once they've lost everything.

We love celebrities when they're on the rise, there's a huge backlash against folks who are on the top, and once we make them fall, we love a comeback story.

We're really screwed up when it comes down to it.

Absolutely no chance he'd maintain his career or status if he had been honest.

The charade is what's called for if he's to maintain any dignity, or remain in politics.  It's what we require of him because we are a hideous and unforgiving society who enjoys crucifying folks for their mistakes, and only later, once their fall is complete, being willing to welcome them back in, but only once they've lost everything.

We love celebrities when they're on the rise, there's a huge backlash against folks who are on the top, and once we make them fall, we love a comeback story.

We're really screwed up when it comes down to it.
Or some people aren't fond of racism and prefer public servants not be associated with it. Nobody's denying the guy the right to make a living.

Users who are viewing this thread