What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Steel Curtain (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
LC Greenwood  Arkansas Pine Bluff.......wore gold painted shoes

"Mean' Joe Greene  North Texas State

Ernie Nevers  Texas Southern........had an arrow head hair cut

Dwight "Mad Dog" White  East Texas State

All small school players, all big and bad. 

What a gang those 70's Steelers were.

Hall of Famers

Mel Blount....Southern U

John Stallwoth....Alabama A&M

Lynn Swann...USC...............................Cali State long jump champ, Serra HS (Tom Brady)

Franco Harris/Jack Ham  Penn State

Jack Lambert Kent State...........................Dolpf Ziggler, Antonio Gates, Julian Edelman

"Iron"  Mike Webter   Wisconsin........he had some serious guns and knew it.

Terry Bradshaw  La Tech..................a national class javelin thrower

Have we ever seen a GREAT NFL team that diverse when it comes to where everyone came from?

Rocky Bliear a Golden Domer.

What conference were North Texas State and East Texas State even in?

Just ramblin' now......

We do see a lot of stud WR's out of non Power Five conferences.

Hell....

Jerry Rice  Mississippi Valley

Antonio Brown  Western Michigan

Randy Moss  Marshall

Terrell Owens  Chattanooga

Bob Hayes  Florida A&M

Charlie Joiner  Grambling

Isacc Bruce   Memphis

Andre Reed  Kutztown St

Don Maynard  Texas Western (UTEP)

John Taylor  Delaware St

Adam Thielen  Eastern Washington

We have a long time until the 2019 season starts, why not use this time to go a few places not normally seen?  Love to talk football.

So where did Al Davis get his obsession with speed?  That would be watching the LA Dodgers running the bases.  He noticed how much faster they were and the difference it made. So he went looking for that kind of athlete and his first one was out of the Ivy League and Cornell. This  was a 1960 Olympic silver medalist in the long jump Bo Roberson, also a 9.5 sprinter. He did ok but it wasn't until Warren Wells (9.4 at TSU) showed up a little later where that....The Vertical Game....really took off. 

Daryl "The Mad Bomber"  Lamonica tossing bombs to speedy Wells the best show in football.  The show was ruined when Wells got busted for sales, yep...bummer. Wells had a three season span where he caught 143 passes for over 3000 yards with 36 TD's, averaging around 24 yards a catch.

Obviously  the perfect Raider receiver was Cliff Branch, who came this close................................................................to making the 72 Olympic team.

I could fill two 8 lane 100m sprints using Oakland Raiders, some countries can't compare, dead serious. Hell, Bo Jackson in the "B" race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX6i0a8t0KY

Wells number 81

Have to put Wells in with Mack "Truck" Lee Hill, Joe Delaney, John Jefferson, Willie Galimore when it comes.......obscure and fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was Ernie "Arrow Head" Holmes... and those 70s Steelrs were awesome.
Yes it was, and  they were awesome. Only place they didn't have a HOFer was at TE.

And, there was a time they totally sucked, but did have a monster fullback in John Henry Johnson.

The Steelers defense of the 70s was the main reason Bert Jones never won a playoff game (75 & 76).  He should have won that double overtime playoff loss to the Raiders in 77 however (Ghost to the Post Game).

The Steelers defense of the 70s was the main reason Bert Jones never won a playoff game (75 & 76).  He should have won that double overtime playoff loss to the Raiders in 77 however (Ghost to the Post Game).
I'm sure they ruined a lot of dreams back then,  ha~~~

I need to bone up some on Bert Jones, never really thought much about him.

I'm sure they ruined a lot of dreams back then,  ha~~~

I need to bone up some on Bert Jones, never really thought much about him.
Watch that video in the Belichick thread I posted today.  That will show you all you need to know about Jones and the talent he had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool thread. When I was a kid I liked the Steelers as my AFC team due to them beating Dallas who I despise as a lifelong Eagles fan. After that tainted Steeler super bowl win over Seattle in ‘07 I came to really dislike them and their fan base which reminds me of the Red Sox fan base. No offense to any personal fan here on the board. Though I’m a lifelong Birds fan since 1974, gun to head, I’d say Jack Lambert is my all time favorite football player. 

Cool thread. When I was a kid I liked the Steelers as my AFC team due to them beating Dallas who I despise as a lifelong Eagles fan. After that tainted Steeler super bowl win over Seattle in ‘07 I came to really dislike them and their fan base which reminds me of the Red Sox fan base. No offense to any personal fan here on the board. Though I’m a lifelong Birds fan since 1974, gun to head, I’d say Jack Lambert is my all time favorite football player. 
Thanks😎

Wilbert Montgomery, was he smooth or what?  I liked Timmy Brown who came a little before him, both from small schools.

It's guys like Lambert who makes ya really miss big man football, the guy was a beast.  Surprised he played at Kent State and not some Big10 school.

Thanks😎

Wilbert Montgomery, was he smooth or what?  I liked Timmy Brown who came a little before him, both from small schools.

It's guys like Lambert who makes ya really miss big man football, the guy was a beast.  Surprised he played at Kent State and not some Big10 school.
My mom got me Montgomery’s autograph at Hess’ department store and gave him a kiss LOL! I turned 11 the day before they beat Dallas in the conference championship to go to their first super bowl. Up until last year that was the greatest moment of my football fan life. 

My mom got me Montgomery’s autograph at Hess’ department store and gave him a kiss LOL! I turned 11 the day before they beat Dallas in the conference championship to go to their first super bowl. Up until last year that was the greatest moment of my football fan life. 
Very cool story.

The Eagles were good back in 60, but you know that.

Harold Carmichael, what 6-8? 

I remember Kenny King in that Super Bowl, he had this long run for the Raiders.

Montgomery doesn't get the props he should.

Users who are viewing this thread