What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread *** (2 Viewers)

Some quick googling it seems Mr. Harriot went to Hartsville High(but I cant confirm 100% for sure just that he grew up there). If I look at the crime stats map of Hartsville and compare to where the High School is as well as where Martin Luther King Dr. is, it would seem he probably did actually hop over a ditch that is perma filled with water on his way to school.  

On google maps Washington St has a small aqueduct that runs along it and Washington is actually the border of the "good" and "bad" part of town. 

Buuuuuut........

It probably saved him about 30 seconds since the high school happens to be located off of Washington St. I would bet they hopped the ditch to take a straight line to the entrance of the school. So basically saving the hypotenuse where your other two sides are the dimensions of the school property. 

Now of course things could have been different then, but I highly doubt Washington Street didn't exist back in the 80's since the school has been there since 1961 and I find it hard to believe that the main street serving the school is brand new.

I am going to rate his story as completely allegorical.  

I think rather than attacking the writer of the article we would all learn a lot if we just listen.  That is the lesson of Trump's victory in 2016. There was a large swath of likely Democratic voters who felt ignored by the platform. As a result they bailed at the worst possible time.  If we ignore the black vote this time the Democrats, and the country, will sink even further.  

Pete doesn't usually make excuses for his failures.  He would be wise to seize on this and open up the platform to the African American community... right now.  

I think rather than attacking the writer of the article we would all learn a lot if we just listen.  That is the lesson of Trump's victory in 2016. There was a large swath of likely Democratic voters who felt ignored by the platform. As a result they bailed at the worst possible time.  If we ignore the black vote this time the Democrats, and the country, will sink even further.  

Pete doesn't usually make excuses for his failures.  He would be wise to seize on this and open up the platform to the African American community... right now.  
Yes and no.

In this case the author has a valid point - but his ire at Buttigieg is misplaced for any number of reasons, not the least of which is that Pete's broader message, acknowledges and tries to address the issues in the article - removing obstacles from minority students.  See the Douglass Plan, which I posted a portion above.

Also (not associated with campaign):

Ameshia Cross@AmeshiaCross·13h

This is hot garbage. Black people are the first to say "you can't be what you can't see." Having worked in Chicago Public Schools I can say thousands of kids never saw a college grad at home or in their neighborhoods. Crucifying @PeteButtigieg for things we say daily is wrong

However, I've also noticed elements of the far-left creating a meme culture around the idea that Pete just hates blacks.
Where have you seen that?  I've seen a lot of concerns raised that Pete is dispassionate about the poor and racial issues- his slum clearance plans in South Bend for example, or his firing of the black police chief after white cops sought to use his donors to get him to fire the officer- but I have not seen any indication that he just simply hates black people.  

Yes and no.

In this case the author has a valid point - but his ire at Buttigieg is misplaced for any number of reasons, not the least of which is that Pete's broader message, acknowledges and tries to address the issues in the article - removing obstacles from minority students.  See the Douglass Plan, which I posted a portion above.

This is hot garbage. Black people are the first to say "you can't be what you can't see." Having worked in Chicago Public Schools I can say thousands of kids never saw a college grad at home or in their neighborhoods. Crucifying @PeteButtigieg for things we say daily is wrong
Who cares if its misplaced?  Farmers' anger at Hillary was misplaced.  And I'm not sure how much a tweet from a Sinclair Broadcasting personality is going to sway opinions.  

I don't think the attack is accurate but the perception is there. Team Pete has got to fix it right now.  

The writer of the article said pete is a lying mf. Sorry he loses benefit of doubt. He better tell 100% of the truth then, at least in said article. 

Becoming very obvious that Pete is getting the Bernie treatment from the Democratic establishment for this cycle. Can't allow the nominee to be someone not under their thumb. And there are people who not only support these parties, they actually vouch for them.

Here is one campaign response:

Rodericka Applewhaite @Rodericka17 · 29m

However, denigrating@michaelharriot for sharing his perspective and personal relationship with education as I’ve just shared mine is absolutely not something I’m going to tolerate either. He has the right to speak, and we should take the opportunity to listen.

Here is one campaign response:

Rodericka Applewhaite @Rodericka17 · 29m

However, denigrating@michaelharriot for sharing his perspective and personal relationship with education as I’ve just shared mine is absolutely not something I’m going to tolerate either. He has the right to speak, and we should take the opportunity to listen.
All I'm saying.  

Pete was always going to face an uphill battle with blacks since they are the racial group least LGBT friendly.  However, I've also noticed elements of the far-left creating a meme culture around the idea that Pete just hates blacks.  It is concerning and reminds me of the propaganda used to depress turnout in 2016.
Sadly, I think this very narrative is something even some Pete supporters have bought into. Is that really the reason? Could it be that large swaths of people don't really know who Pete even is at this point? Could it be that Biden's support in the black community is simply because he is one of the few candidates with name recognition because of his run with a popular president? I get that people want to define what polling data shows, but claiming that a certain race isn't supporting someone at this point because they are intolerant isn't really fair to blacks or Pete. Pete just has to keep doing what he's doing; be himself and talk to people. It's early. The process will play out. I just caution people from buying into any narrative as being true, because as you mentioned, there are destructive forces at work.

Here's Pete doing a few interviews with Charlamagne tha God. He just needs stay true to himself and to keep reaching out. If people reject him because of his sexuality it speaks more about them than him IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zunsfxjyOAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlwtzvgYGx8

Also - I don't buy that Pete does not have the support of the Dem establishment.  Certainly not in the way the Sanders was opposed in 2016.

I don't think the Dem "establishment" has settled on a true favorite yet - but I think Pete has friends in high places from both the Obama wing, and Clinton wing of the establishment.

Sadly, I think this very narrative is something even some Pete supporters have bought into. Is that really the reason? Could it be that large swaths of people don't really know who Pete even is at this point? Could it be that Biden's support in the black community is simply because he is one of the few candidates with name recognition because of his run with a popular president? I get that people want to define what polling data shows, but claiming that a certain race isn't supporting someone at this point because they are intolerant isn't really fair to blacks or Pete. Pete just has to keep doing what he's doing; be himself and talk to people. It's early. The process will play out. I just caution people from buying into any narrative as being true, because as you mentioned, there are destructive forces at work.

Here's Pete doing a few interviews with Charlamagne tha God. He just needs stay true to himself and to keep reaching out. If people reject him because of his sexuality it speaks more about them than him IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zunsfxjyOAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlwtzvgYGx8
I think the sexuality aspect is overplayed personally.

I think if Pete puts in the legwork, he can overcome any existing angst over not knowing who he is, or what he stands for.  I think voters will see who he is as a person, and make the decision to support or not based on what they think he can do to help them, and help the country.  If he can convince people he has the right approach - none of the other stuff will matter.  But, he has to make the effort to reach voters on their terms - show that he understands their concerns, and convince them, he is the best candidate to address those concerns.

I'd fairly skip the blac bloc if i were Peteyjudge. It can't not look like pandering now.

Mayor Pete rose past the chaff in Iowa & NH because he cares, makes sense, makes you care, too. I'd keep him caring more than you do everywhere he goes, talking with everyone he can, paying heed to no one in particular so he don't have to pay heed to everyone. Get on board or get behind - Campaign Mgr wikkid sends his candidate to the bases in SC, then the towns - you wanna come, come.

Becoming very obvious that Pete is getting the Bernie treatment from the Democratic establishment for this cycle. Can't allow the nominee to be someone not under their thumb. And there are people who not only support these parties, they actually vouch for them.
How so (how is he being treated), and how do you know it is the "Democratic establishment" behind the "Bernie treatment"?

Sinn Fein said:
I read it - but I don't really think that Pete's point is wrong.  Incomplete, but not necessarily wrong.

But - this is taken from Pete's Douglass Plan:

America needs to create an educational system that trains and empowers the next generation of Black scientists, artists, writers, college professors, lawyers, tech entrepreneurs, doctors, software engineers, police officers, teachers, and so much more. Yet today, too many children of color are being denied educational justice. From a lack of adequate resources, to critical teacher shortages, to discriminatory disciplinary policies that reduce instruction time and feed the school-to-prison pipeline, students of color are far too often not afforded the same educational opportunities as their white peers. And when the intellectual lives of students of color are diminished, America loses. 

This opportunity gap causes over $500 billion in lost economic growth annually 9 and is one of the most significant contributors to the perpetuation of the Black-white wealth gap. Most people’s wealth is built through well-paid work10, but many Black students have been denied equal access to excellent education and in-demand job skills. The Schools of the Future Plan is our commitment to providing the resources needed to ensure every American child gains access to the skills they need to meet the economy of the future.

We will invest in an equitable public education system by massively increasing federal resources for students at Title I schools. Schools that serve students who come to school hungry, who lack access to high-quality health care, who experience homelessness, and who know firsthand the indignity of racial discrimination need more resources–not less–if they are to experience opportunity equal to their peers. A Buttigieg Administration will dramatically increase Title I funding to support higher teacher pay and supplemental services for lower-income students above and beyond state and local funding resources.

We will issue new regulations to diversify the teaching profession. By 2024, a minority of students in our public schools will identify as white, but 82% of teachers still identify as white.11 Studies show that same-race teachers can have an enormous impact: Black students with at least one Black teacher in grades 3-5 are much more likely to graduate high school and attend college.12 That is why we will require new transparency around teacher hiring procedures: states will disaggregate their applicant and hiring by race and document teacher diversity initiatives as part of their Every Student Succeeds Act school improvement plans. We will also set new guidelines around the use of Title II funds to invest in recruiting, training, and supporting the next generation of school leaders of color.

We will invest in high-quality state and local educational programs. We will increase federal investments and incentivize state and local investments in middle school, high school, and college programs to increase readiness and competitiveness for Black women and men in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and fields of growing employment opportunities, especially health professions, software, finance, and alternative energy.

This, I think goes to the heart of the complaints in the article.
I think so as well.  The author of that article had a notion and he found evidence to support it, but as to whether that was fair, maybe not so much.  Still, our view is always relative to where we find ourselves at the time which is dependent upon where our journey originally began, to an extent. 

Sinn Fein said:
Something else that bothered me about the Root article:

"To this day, no one has ever built a bridge over that ditch."

I don't know Mr. Harriot, but he seems moderately successful.  I struggle to understand why he wants to point fingers at society - when he hasn't lifted a finger himself.  It seems to me that local politicians need to work on school transportation and/or build a safe walkway along that path, and over the creek/ditch.
Nothing a bit of elbow grease and forethought could not have addressed.

Say what you want about Buttigieg - this is the best-run campaign. Period.  I will die on this hill.

Abby D. Phillip@abbydphillip

Just in per @DJJudd
 : 
@PeteButtigieg says he spoke with  @michaelharriot this morning about his viral essay in  @TheRoot
 about Buttigieg’s comments from 2011 on minority families and education. More soon on his reaction from Iowa...

Here’s what he said: “What I said in that comment before I became mayor does not reflect the totality of my understanding then, and certainly now, about the obstacles that students of color face in our system today.” Via @DJJudd

Content of Pete's response in tweet: https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/1199410222894321664

The campaign tackles tough issues head-on.

msommer said:
How so (how is he being treated), and how do you know it is the "Democratic establishment" behind the "Bernie treatment"?
Watch and learn.

My guess is somewhere between now and the convention, Sinn Fein will have plenty to say about the treatment of Pete by the DNC and the media.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sinn Fein said:
I disagree.  The onus is on Pete to reach voters with his message.

I also think its lazy journalism to suggest that Pete does well in Iowa and New Hampshire because they have very few minority voters.  I think that is a small part of it, but the bigger part is Pete has worked very hard campaigning in Iowa (and New Hampshire).  The recent Selzer poll had a cross-tab showing that Pete had the highest percentage of voters who had seen him at a function.  Pete's numbers have always improved when people meet him.

I think the same is, and will be, true in places like South Carolina.  But, Pete has not yet put in the work to be able to get those results.  And, even the times he has gone to South Carolina, he ends up attracting majority white audiences.  Pete needs to roll up his proverbial sleeves, and meet voters on their turf.  He needs to go out into communities, rather than try to stage events.  Every candidate ends up going to churches, but I think Pete should try to line up a few appearances at economically poor schools - meet with students and teachers.  Listen to the concerns of teachers - who live in and around those communities, and also see the impacts of community-wide issues in their students.  Learn from those discussions and then apply those ideas into stump speeches and future debate work.

I think Pete can do it - but he needs to remember where he was polling in Iowa in February, and recall all the things he did to move to the forefront.  There is no magic involved - just hard work. 
Please send these ideas to your besties Lis and Mike.

I read that old people are part of the Buttigieg "base".  First, that's pretty funny.  Second, you have to assume Pete has a good opportunity of attracting more younger voters.

I read that old people are part of the Buttigieg "base".  First, that's pretty funny.  Second, you have to assume Pete has a good opportunity of attracting more younger voters.
I'm not familiar with his stance on student loans but that seems to be the way in to the younger voters I know.  Environment and student loans are why they like Warren and Bernie.  

Doing better with older than younger right now (Qunn. latest nat'l poll)

Code:
                                                                 IMPQ9
                     PARTYID.....  AGE IN YRS..............    INCOME.............  Good
                     Dem    DemLn  18-34  35-49  50-64  65+    <50k   50-100 100k+  leader

Biden                27%    23%    17%    11%    32%    41%    28%    25%    24%    30%
Sanders               9     19     18     18     10      2     11     17     12      4
Harris                4      3      -      7      6      3      1      2      7      5
Warren               21     14     27     28     14     11     18     17     22     28
Booker                2      -      -      1      3      1      -      2      2      3
Klobuchar             4      1      4      2      2      4      4      2      4      3
Castro                -      -      -      1      -      -      -      -      1      -
Gabbard               1      -      1      -      1      -      -      1      -      1
Delaney               -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -
Buttigieg            10     19      6     13     12     16      6     20     15      6
Yang                  2      -      3      2      1      -      3      1      1      2
Williamson            -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -
Bennet                -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -
Bullock               -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -
Sestak                -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -
Steyer                -      -      -      -      1      1      -      1      1      -
Patrick               -      1      -      -      2      -      1      -      1      -
Bloomberg             3      2      1      3      5      4      3      2      4      2

Sinn Fein said:
Yes and no.

This reminds me of 2016 and Bernie's problem with attracting black voters. Which is ridiculous given his past in civil rights protests, etc.

Sinn Fein said:
I think the sexuality aspect is overplayed personally.

I think if Pete puts in the legwork, he can overcome any existing angst over not knowing who he is, or what he stands for.  I think voters will see who he is as a person, and make the decision to support or not based on what they think he can do to help them, and help the country.  If he can convince people he has the right approach - none of the other stuff will matter.  But, he has to make the effort to reach voters on their terms - show that he understands their concerns, and convince them, he is the best candidate to address those concerns.

Pete is comfortable talking about his faith and moral values. I think this is his inroad with African American voters. 

If Pete can pull this off and win the nomination...(and really anyone who wins it is part of this next part)...will Obama be out campaigning?  Will he help energize the voters and, in particular, black voters to support Pete?

And wow what a lineup of kick ### speeches would that be to see Obama give a speech and introduce Pete?

If Pete can pull this off and win the nomination...(and really anyone who wins it is part of this next part)...will Obama be out campaigning?  Will he help energize the voters and, in particular, black voters to support Pete?

And wow what a lineup of kick ### speeches would that be to see Obama give a speech and introduce Pete?
I think Hillary will be out campaigning for Pete as well

Luckily, as soon as I agreed to take a phone call, the phone rang. The voice sounded vaguely familiar and I knew it wasn’t a surrogate or a campaign volunteer when the person said:

“I don’t think I’ve ever been called a ‘lying mother####er’ before.”

It was Pete Buttigieg.

I think this is a fair follow-up article:  https://www.theroot.com/pete-buttigieg-called-me-heres-what-happened-1840055464

Watch and learn.

My guess is somewhere between now and the convention, Sinn Fein will have plenty to say about the treatment of Pete by the DNC and the media.
I'm sorry, was it a difficult question?

If it is so obvious, surely you have multiple examples and a clear data trail leading back to the DNC, right?

Luckily, as soon as I agreed to take a phone call, the phone rang. The voice sounded vaguely familiar and I knew it wasn’t a surrogate or a campaign volunteer when the person said:

It was Pete Buttigieg.

I think this is a fair follow-up article:  https://www.theroot.com/pete-buttigieg-called-me-heres-what-happened-1840055464
He is not the perfect candidate nor will there be one. But this does not mean the Democratic Party is divided. The entire point of the primary process is for voters to dictate their concerns to the candidates and for candidates to learn from voters. Black America wants their party to emerge victorious but not if we have to offer our votes as a living sacrifice for the sake of “party unity.” What good is a white savior if he doesn’t save us?

And, as I told the mayor, the article wasn’t meant to inspire outrage. Its purpose was to make a necessary point about black voters and real issues. There is no way that I can know if he is genuinely interested in engaging black voters, attacking discrimination or crossing the racial divide. There are an infinite number of candidates who have waded into black barbershops or sashayed into black pulpits to assure us that they were on our side when they were only interested in our vote. I am not smart or prescient enough to tell the difference.

The only thing I actually know about Pete Buttigieg is that he is a white man.

But Pete Buttigieg listened, which is all you can ask a white man to do.

He is not the perfect candidate nor will there be one. But this does not mean the Democratic Party is divided. The entire point of the primary process is for voters to dictate their concerns to the candidates and for candidates to learn from voters. Black America wants their party to emerge victorious but not if we have to offer our votes as a living sacrifice for the sake of “party unity.” What good is a white savior if he doesn’t save us?

And, as I told the mayor, the article wasn’t meant to inspire outrage. Its purpose was to make a necessary point about black voters and real issues. There is no way that I can know if he is genuinely interested in engaging black voters, attacking discrimination or crossing the racial divide. There are an infinite number of candidates who have waded into black barbershops or sashayed into black pulpits to assure us that they were on our side when they were only interested in our vote. I am not smart or prescient enough to tell the difference.

The only thing I actually know about Pete Buttigieg is that he is a white man.

But Pete Buttigieg listened, which is all you can ask a white man to do.
Another takeaway from all this is Harriot is a great writer.  

I'm sorry, was it a difficult question?

If it is so obvious, surely you have multiple examples and a clear data trail leading back to the DNC, right?
So you want me to spend a night or two gathering data, fact-finding, and doing research paper-level work so you can learn something you should already know?

Pass.

I'll let the next 6-8 months unfold and let the events prove it out.

If it will help you sleep better at night, we'll just call my observation an opinion. I believe those are still allowed here.

But yeah, Pete is gonna get some shady treatment. Hopefully his people already see it coming and are prepared for it. Even if they are, it might not matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

It was Pete Buttigieg.

It has been a couple weeks for me. May be a record. 

I think Hillary will be out campaigning for Pete as well
Maybe if she wants him to lose.  If there's one person who can motivate others to another Trump win, it's Hillary. 

I like Pete. Truly seems like a good guy with many of the right credentials. But he has virtually no shot in the South and if he can't get the minority vote, he's done.  Obama would bridge that gap for sure but it's still a long shot. 

Sucks to say it but if not for him being gay, he might be the most likeable candidate since JFK. or maybe Reagan.

I like Pete. Truly seems like a good guy with many of the right credentials. But he has virtually no shot in the South and if he can't get the minority vote, he's done.  Obama would bridge that gap for sure but it's still a long shot. 
In terms of the black vote, Pete’s difficulty lies ONLY in the nomination process. If he does somehow become the nominee he’ll have no trouble getting out the black vote. They’d vote for Jefferson Davis at this point if it meant getting rid of Trump. 

Users who are viewing this thread