What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Franklin Graham Pete B attacks - Joe Bryant question (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
Joe, 

I actually have a thin connection to Franklin Graham but when a leader like him supports Trump and rants against Mayor Peter quoting the bible.  Is that taken as the Lords word?  A person that is free thinking can see he is using the bible to make his point but being totally hypocritical but if he is speaking for the Lord, probably doesn't matter to his people.

I will hang up and listen.  

Last edited by a moderator:
#alwaysonlyjesus

Billy Graham had a simple lifelong philosophy:

Preach Jesus. Preach Jesus only. The message of the cross is enough.

The Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost (Luke 19:10)

Reverend Graham counseled every President from Truman to Bush 43. To my knowledge he never diluted the gospel by politicizing his message.

In my opinion, Franklin Graham has forgotten his first call, which is to pick up where his father left off. He is to seek the lost, be the hands and feet of God to a dark and hurting world. He is to use his name, his platform, and his gifts to bring the Gospel as a light to those who will hear and receive.

Franklin Graham is unwavering in his devotion to a serial adulterer, liar, cheat, and con artist in President Trump. To anyone who considers themself a bond servant of Christ, it’s incomprehensible.

With respect to the various tweets by Graham, I would simply challenge anyone to find a gospel account of Jesus condemning sinners. Oh, He flipped tables, and He had plenty of criticism & “woe to you...” statements to the religious hypocrites of first century Palestine. But to the tax collectors, prostitutes, leper’s - any who sought Him - He had only compassion.

Read John 4 (the woman at the well) or John 8 (the woman caught in the act of adultery.)

Franklin Graham is considered a “prominent evangelical”, along with another wayward son, Jerry Falwell, Jr. Probably others I’m forgetting about. They are media caricatures, and in no way represent the gospel. When have ever heard them speak of forgiveness, grace, healing, lives changed, reconciliation, restoration?

It’s absurd to expect me, @Joe Bryant or anyone else who follows Jesus to defend these fools.

#alwaysonlyjesus

Billy Graham had a simple lifelong philosophy:

Preach Jesus. Preach Jesus only. The message of the cross is enough.

The Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost (Luke 19:10)

Reverend Graham counseled every President from Truman to Bush 43. To my knowledge he never diluted the gospel by politicizing his message.

In my opinion, Franklin Graham has forgotten his first call, which is to pick up where his father left off. He is to seek the lost, be the hands and feet of God to a dark and hurting world. He is to use his name, his platform, and his gifts to bring the Gospel as a light to those who will hear and receive.

Franklin Graham is unwavering in his devotion to a serial adulterer, liar, cheat, and con artist in President Trump. To anyone who considers themself a bond servant of Christ, it’s incomprehensible.

With respect to the various tweets by Graham, I would simply challenge anyone to find a gospel account of Jesus condemning sinners. Oh, He flipped tables, and He had plenty of criticism & “woe to you...” statements to the religious hypocrites of first century Palestine. But to the tax collectors, prostitutes, leper’s - any who sought Him - He had only compassion.

Read John 4 (the woman at the well) or John 8 (the woman caught in the act of adultery.)

Franklin Graham is considered a “prominent evangelical”, along with another wayward son, Jerry Falwell, Jr. Probably others I’m forgetting about. They are media caricatures, and in no way represent the gospel. When have ever heard them speak of forgiveness, grace, healing, lives changed, reconciliation, restoration?

It’s absurd to expect me, @Joe Bryant or anyone else who follows Jesus to defend these fools.
The company I worked for did an exhibit by the Billy Graham Library for Billy Graham.  No one met him, but some met Franklin.  The exhibit did one place in Raleigh and died.    They wanted it to travel the state and no takers.  They had more administration than most 10 million plus companies.  They are a business.  Most the exhibit ended up in a dumpster.  This was when he was 99, right before his passing.

Joe, 

I actually have a thin connection to Franklin Graham but when a leader like him supports Trump and rants against Mayor Peter quoting the bible.  Is that taken as the Lords word?  A person that is free thinking can see he is using the bible to make his point but being totally hypocritical but if he is speaking for the Lord, probably doesn't matter to his people.

Did you ask this question to @Joe Bryant simply because he is a religious Christian? If so, you’re insulting both him and Christians in general, IMO. 

Did you ask this question to @Joe Bryant simply because he is a religious Christian? If so, you’re insulting both him and Christians in general, IMO. 
Thanks. I certainly can't speak for all Christians but for me, it's ok. No worries. No offense taken. 

Joe, 

I would just like to point out that Mayor Pete is a Christian also, and if we're going to use either of them to paint Christians with a broad brush could we use Pete instead please? Thanks. 

Thanks. I certainly can't speak for all Christians but for me, it's ok. No worries. No offense taken. 
I took offense, and I’m not even a Christian. 

Part of the reason I took offense is because several times in my life I have been asked about how I feel about this or that Jewish person who has said such and such- as if we all belong to the same club. Sometimes these questions are well meaning but they’re still insulting. 

Part of the reason I took offense is because several times in my life I have been asked about how I feel about this or that Jewish person who has said such and such- as if we all belong to the same club. Sometimes these questions are well meaning but they’re still insulting. 
It's the same thing as people that demand that Muslims take a more vocal stance against terrorism performed in the name of Islam. 

Most of the believers I know would happily take any opportunity to discuss their beliefs.   Your reaction seems off-putting. 

The company I worked for did an exhibit by the Billy Graham Library for Billy Graham.  No one met him, but some met Franklin.  The exhibit did one place in Raleigh and died.    They wanted it to travel the state and no takers.  They had more administration than most 10 million plus companies.  They are a business.  Most the exhibit ended up in a dumpster.  This was when he was 99, right before his passing.
Ok?

A charlatan and a partisan, trading on the family name.  He is spending the equity in that family name quite rapidly.
Pretty much my position.  It was crystal clear decades ago why his father went to such great lengths to keep him muzzled.  There was constant struggle between the two and their views.  Billy did what he could to rise above politics and Franklin has always seen politics as a tool to push his (not God's) agenda.  The name alone will be sufficient for those over 70.  They will support him.  Everyone else is beginning to see that the apple may not fall far from the tree, but it will sure roll down the hill.

This thread is a prime example of the Sharpton phenomenon.  The left won’t condemn this race baiter because they need him.  Just change the subject to this Franklin Graham character. 

This thread is a prime example of the Sharpton phenomenon.  The left won’t condemn this race baiter because they need him.  Just change the subject to this Franklin Graham character. 

Two things:

1) There were tons of people in the Sharpton thread criticizing Mayor Pete for meeting with him. And calling out Sharpton for exactly what he is.

2) Insinuating Franklin Graham is a nobody who nobody knows is completely disingenuous. His Dad was one of the most famous preachers of the 20th century and Franklin himself led the prayers at Trump's inauguration.

Two things:

1) There were tons of people in the Sharpton thread criticizing Mayor Pete for meeting with him. And calling out Sharpton for exactly what he is.

2) Insinuating Franklin Graham is a nobody who nobody knows is completely disingenuous. His Dad was one of the most famous preachers of the 20th century and Franklin himself led the prayers at Trump's inauguration.
You just proved my point with your whataboutism.  This thread is about SHARPTON.  

Two things:

You just proved my point with your whataboutism.  This thread is about SHARPTON.  
:lmao:

Wrong thread.

This board obviously has a left-leaning bias, but I don't see any cause for complain about the discussion these two topics. The discussion on these two individuals seems to be quite fair and reasonable. I'm not sure any good word has been said about Sharpton in the Buttigeig discussions (other than that he's softened in his extremism with age). But the general consensus seems to be that he's somewhere between an opportunist and a loon, and that he really has no political influence.

On Graham, the general tone seems to be reverence and respect for who Billy was and what he built, and that Franklin falls well short of that legacy. Maybe you disagree, but I don't think that's an unreasonable opinion.

This board obviously has a left-leaning bias, but I don't see any cause for complain about the discussion these two topics. The discussion on these two individuals seems to be quite fair and reasonable. I'm not sure any good word has been said about Sharpton in the Buttigeig discussions (other than that he's softened in his extremism with age). But the general consensus seems to be that he's somewhere between an opportunist and a loon, and that he really has no political influence.

On Graham, the general tone seems to be reverence and respect for who Billy was and what he built, and that Franklin falls well short of that legacy. Maybe you disagree, but I don't think that's an unreasonable opinion.
This was how I saw it. Whataboutism is part of life but for the most part, I thought this discussion was fair. 

Users who are viewing this thread